Gracie Allen Reporting!

Youngstown Vindicator (June 14, 1945)

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

Jack Benny, Edgar Bergen and Fibber McGee and Molly notwithstanding, the Tokyo radio still has the funniest programs on the air. They have just announced that it is still not too late for the United States to surrender.

I guess, according to Japanese reasoning, the victorious Germans have imprisoned the Russians in Berlin, the Americans are retreating in the direction of Tokyo and the Japanese fleet is holding a victory celebration at the bottom of the ocean.

Tokyo radio has also announced that they were organizing bow-and-arrow and jujitsu units to fight against us. George thinks we will really have something to worry abut when they send those old Japanese vaudeville tumblers against us. But I’ve got it figured out all our boys have to do is start applauding. Then when the Japs leap up to take their bows – bang!

The Pittsburgh Press (June 15, 1945)

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

I just read about a family that whipped the housing shortage by buying a small hotel to live in.

Regardless of size, I’ll bet that hotel seemed small when the family was moved in on by several dozen relatives they didn’t know they had.

George is intrigued with the idea of what happens with a mother-in-law under such circumstances. He likes the thought of sending her a weekly bill for the room rent with extras but what if she won’t pay it and you hand her an eviction notice? Does daughter get angry and go home to mother, whose home is in Room 215?

And my goodness! It must be pretty confusing if the family tries to staff that hotel itself. Imagine carrying ice water to your room and then having to tip yourself!

The Pittsburgh Press (June 18, 1945)

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

While everyone is arguing about universal military training for men, along comes Professor Hooton of Harvard, saying that all women should be drafted for army training. He says it will gratify women’s desire to “wear the pants in the family.”

And he has the nerve to add that it will reduce women’s figures to a point where they can wear pants “without creating a repellent spectacle.”

Now just a minute, professor. You may think you’re safe at Harvard, but I dare you to step over to Vassar and say that.

But don’t feel too badly, girls. Professor Hooton teaches anthropology, so I looked it up and found that anthropology is the study of anthropoids and anthropoids are apes. Well, if he teaches apes, he can’t be too bright anyway. I’ve never met an ape yet who could read or write.

The Pittsburgh Press (June 20, 1945)

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

Well, I see that a department store has announced that pretty soon it will carry airplanes in stock. Isn’t that wonderful, girls? When we go shopping for an airplane and a spool of thread, we won’t have to worry about delivery, we can take the spool of thread right along with us in the airplane.

But I don’t think I’d like to be a saleslady in the airplane department. Imagine having to trot out all the planes in stock for one of those choosy customers.

George says he wouldn’t want to work in the complaint department, either, not when some woman comes in and says, “I thought you told me I was getting an exclusive model, and yesterday I saw Mrs. Jones flying around in one exactly like it.”

The Pittsburgh Press (June 21, 1945)

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

Well, we Americans have always been a nation of souvenir hunters and this war has proved no exception. A few days ago, Gen. Patch presented the President with Hermann Goering’s diamond-studded baton, and now “Iron Mike” O’Daniel says he has Hermann’s trousers hanging on the wall of his division headquarters. From the pictures I’ve seen of Marshal Goering, his trousers could make a divisional headquarters all by themselves.

As an old collector himself, Goering probably feels unhappy. But his friend Hitler came out even worse. Hitler started by collecting most of the small countries of Europe. Then he went after the big Russian bearskin and the bear collected him.

Now Adm. Halsey says he wants Hirohito’s horse. Personally if I were in Hirohito’s place, I’d mail him the horse before the Admiral decides to collect Hirohito, too.

The Pittsburgh Press (June 22, 1945)

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

I realized the travel situation was getting a little tight, but I didn’t really know how bad it was until I saw that Gov. Wallgren of Washington has placed an Indian war canoe at President Truman’s disposal during his visit to that state. If the President rates only a canoe, you can imagine where the rest of us stand.

Anyway, the Indians will be pleased. They haven’t had so much attention since the days when Calvin Coolidge used to wear big feathered headgear for the newsreels.

President Truman says he’s going to fish a little for relaxation. Now, don’t kid us, Mr. President – you’re going after those fish in deadly earnest, same as the rest of us. I just bet the White House cook told you to bring back some food, or she wouldn’t be responsible for meals in the future.

1 Like

The Pittsburgh Press (June 25, 1945)

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

Well, every big criminal makes a wrong move sooner or later and that old Hitler has finally made his. Reports are he is running around garbed as a member of the feminine sex.

Girls, he’s on our home ground now! Let’s get him!

After all, with apologies to those good-looking fellows in the FBI, aren’t women the greatest man-hunters in the world?

Next time you see a particularly pushy woman with a peek-a-boo bang showing at a bargain counter clerk to see that it isn’t Adolf. Next time you see a pair of high heels walking down the street make sure that a third heel isn’t wearing them. Or next time you see a woman driving on the right side and making correct hand signals at a corner, something’s fishy.

So Adolf wants to be a pin-up girl, eh? Too bad we don’t wear hatpins anymore and could oblige him.

Youngstown Vindicator (June 26, 1945)

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

Wow! Did you see the pictures of President Truman in that Siwash sweater? Let’s have no more kidding from you men about women’s wild hats. I think the President should be congratulated.

It’s about time men were showing a little gumption in wearing more style and color. Why, President Truman might do for men’s sweaters what Lana Turner did for women’s!

Probably men will begin to copy the President as they used to copy Prince Albert and the Prince of Wales. Maybe if I get George a Siwash sweater I could get him out of his old Prince Albert.

I only hope the President brings his sweater to the next Big Three meeting. Premier Stalin goes around in a marshal’s uniform and Churchill is liable to break out in anything from a zipper suit to a fur hat. But let’s see them try to top that sweater.

Hooray for good old Siwash!

Youngstown Vindicator (June 27, 1945)

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

Well, as if westbound traffic hasn’t been heavy enough through in this country, a big insurance company now advises girls to head west if they want to get married. When this gets around, there’ll probably be a movement toward the Pacific Coast that will make the California gold rush of ’49 look like a conga line.

And a word of warning to you Western men. Lack of train space isn’t going to stop those man-hunting women. They’ll organize covered-wagon trains if necessary.

Only this time, instead of being pursued by the Indians, the womenfolk are liable to turn the tables and chase some of those handsome young Indian bucks right back onto the reservation. Yes, indeed, times have certainly changed.

The Pittsburgh Press (June 28, 1945)

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

Well, J. Arthur Rank, the big British film magnate, is visiting here and says that Hollywood is in for some friendly competition. He says they may even try making westerns over in England.

Now, goodness knows I’m for free competition, but I’m afraid our little boys who go to the neighborhood movie Saturday mornings are going to be confused when they hear the sheriff on the screen say, “The bounder went thettaway, you chaps” or when the villain shouts, "Blimey, here comes the bobbies’ pose

I guess the English will have singing cowboys too; and we’ll be hearing songs like “Bury Me Not in Berkeley Square,” “Home on the Moor,” and “Git Along, Little Grouse, Git Along.”

I know there’ll always be an England, but they’ll sure need their strength when they see Noel Coward in spurs and a ten-gallon hat.

The Pittsburgh Press (June 29, 1945)

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

Well, the San Francisco Conference has given us a charter for peace, and from now on it’s up to us. Fortunately, peace is different from things like butter and lamb chops. You see, the more people who want peace, the more there is to go around.

I can imagine those delegates arriving home with their new knowledge of American customs. I can just see one of the Arabian delegates riding proudly up to his ancestral tent with bobby socks and several camel loads of breakfast food. Or an Egyptian representative greeting his wife with a stack of Benny Goodman records under one arm, and a bag of buttered popcorn under the other.

Goodbye, peace delegates. And if anyone asks you about the beautiful California weather, please keep the peace. Don’t tell them.