America at war! (1941– ) (Part 1)

Will be missed

Dr. Hu Shih, whom the Chinese government is calling home from his post as ambassador to the United States, will be missed here. Tireless in his activity for his country, an able lecturer and a brilliant scholar, it is no exaggeration to say that much of the American sympathy for China should be credited to the way he has presented his country’s case.


U.S. troops revealed in Belgian Congo

London, England (UP) –
Premier Hubert Pierlot of the Belgium government-in-exile announced today that the first United States troop detachments had arrived in the Belgian Congo, adjoining Fighting French Equatorial Africa on the West African coast.

He said the reason for the presence of American troops was a military secret.

Pierlot said:

We conceive the defense of our colonial empire in solidarity with our British allies, Fighting France and finally with American troops, whose first detachments have just landed in the Congo.

The Pittsburgh Press (September 4, 1942)

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

DUBLIN – I have had a long chinfest with one of the Brooklyn boys who made good. It’s Mr. Eamon de Valera – usually called “Dev” – that I’m speaking of. He was born in Brooklyn, you know.

Mr. De Valera is the man who runs Ireland. He has been in the thick of Ireland’s tragic and bloody history since World War days. He has led an odd life for a schoolteacher. He has been sentenced to death, sentenced to life, and confined in jail for years at a time. But finally he saw Ireland get her independence, and for the last 10 years he has been nourishing and guiding that independence.

It is not difficult to see Mr. De Valera as it would be for a foreign newspaperman to see President Roosevelt these busy days. But unless it’s by special dispensation – which I had no reason to seek - you are not permitted to quote him.

An appointment was made, and I was taken to Mr. De Valera’s office by Frank Gallagher, head of the government news agency, who is an old friend and fellow-revolutionist of Mr. De Valera. (In fact Mr. De Valera said that if I were looking for the American’s idea of a typical Irishman, there stood Mr. Gallagher.)

As soon as we were introduced, Mr. Gallagher left, and I was alone with Mr. De Valera about half an hour. He did not give the impression, as many big men do, that he was squirming for you to shut up and get out.

He did not appear busy. There was not a paper on his desk. His whole office is very plain. It is fairly small, and has an Old-World strictness about it.

Mr. De Valera’s desk is half covered by an arrangement of automatic call boxes, into which he talks as though he were talking on the phone. He mentioned a book he thought I would enjoy reading – “The Republic of Ireland,” by Dorothy Macardle – and he reached in his desk, tore a corner off a blank sheet of paper, and wrote it down for me. He smiled at his parsimoniousness, and said we had to save paper nowadays.

Mr. De Valera is an immensely tall man, and I had to look way up to see him. They say he has been publicly photographed only once when he was smiling, and in his pictures he always looks so dour I was almost afraid to meet him.

But he smiled broadly as we shook hands, and I did not feel ill at ease with him. I told him I’d seen so few Irishmen laugh that if he didn’t tell me a joke or two I was going to feel very sad. He smiled and said he couldn’t think of any jokes, and then seriously went into the sonber side of the Irishman’s character. The Irishman, he feels, is really more somber than the American.

Mr. De Valera did most of the talking. He has a way of talking, in quite simple language yet on such broad scope and so unpausingly that afterward you have trouble remembering specifically anything he said.

He talked of American enthusiasms and British determination and Irish impulsiveness. Being myself a non-philosopher and a dope at international analysis, I finally got Mr. De Valera off onto his private life. He has to be a goldfish all the time, and set the perfect example. But he seems not to mind that.

When I felt I had been there long enough, Mr. De Valera phoned Mr. Gallagher to come and get me. As we walked down the hall Mr. Gallagher asked me how I liked him. I said I liked him fine, which was true.

I went that afternoon to a session of the Dail, which corresponds to our House of Representatives. Irish “congressmen” are called “deputies.” There are about 135 of them, but only 21 were in their seats that day. All the rest, I was told, were at home harvesting crops or attending to business.

The Dail chamber is much like our house at home, except smaller and darker. Members have to pause and bow to the chair both when entering and leaving. The deputies all looked to be about the same type and class of people as our own congressmen.

All afternoon they were giving the Minister of Supply hell. He was there in person, and would pipe up now and then and say “That isn’t so,” and give some figures to prove his point. The rest of the time he sat and took his lacing with a sort of resigned and sardonic smile. On the whole, they say he does a good job.

I had dinner with an Irish friend that evening, and asked him exactly how the word Dail was pronounced. The best I could get it, it sounded like “Doyle.”

“No, no,” he said, “not like Doyle, it’s like Doyle.”

“I’ve got it now,” I said. “It’s like Doyle.” Anything for a laugh.

It’s almost impossible for an American to pronounce some Gaelic words. On a second and final attempt my friend decided we should pronounce Dail just about like “dawl.”

I’ve about given up on Eire. I’ve tried everything from “Eire,” “Air,” and nobody knows what I’m talking about. If you say “Errah” you’ll be getting pretty close. But mostly I just shun it, and rely on the good old pronounceable name of “Ireland.” You can’t go wrong there.

1 Like

Völkischer Beobachter (September 5, 1942)

Neuer Wein in alte Schläuche –
Der Narr vom Weißen Haus will auch die Jugend ködern

Schirach antwortet Roosevelt im Namen des jungen Europa

…

Unverminderte Schärfe der japanischen Luftwaffe –
Townsville muß evakuiert warden

…

Das USA.-Volk darf nichts Wissen –
Man verschweigt die Salomonenniederlage

…

Brooklyn Eagle (September 5, 1942)

Army plane crashes and burns in Garden City, killing two

…

FDR polishes final draft of price program

Cancels all dates to work on message with Judge Rosenman

…

‘Fortresses’ aim for Dieppe

…

Tourists flock into city as natives rush away

Records are broken at all terminals despite pleas by government officials

…

Boro officer piles up Pacific air record

Lt. Stanley Cottage, winner of Flying Cross, still guides bombers against the Japs

…

Congressman finds plenty of U.S. courage, Jap Zeros in Pacific

Washington (UP) –
Rep. Eugene Worley (D-TX), back in Congress after eight months of active duty with the Navy, said today that he had found two things plentiful in the Pacific war zone – American courage and Japanese fighters.

He said American troops were outnumbered, that the Navy invariably had to overcome odds in encounters with the enemy fleet and that U.S. fighter planes in many respects were “inferior” to Japanese Zeros.

He said:

But our men bow to no one when it comes to courage. As far as I’m concerned, there’s no one in the world who can match our soldiers, sailors and Marines in that.

What I’m determined to do now is to see that those boys get some equipment that will put them on even terms with the Japanese.

Serving his first term in Congress, Worley left for Hawaii early in January as a lieutenant commander. He later flew to Australia.

1 Like

Japs land in Sunda Islands off Timor

…

U.S. to curb ‘hoarding’ to steady inventories

…

Theodore Roosevelt’s widow surprised by son’s Alaskan flight

…

Midway battle films to boost war bond sales

Navy releases thrilling movies of sea fight to 500 theaters

With total sales of war bonds and stamps in the statewide drive of the motion picture industry having passed the $34,000,000 mark today, interest in the campaign to top a $160,000,000 quota for the month was heightened by a Navy announcement of the release of color motion pictures of the Battle of Midway Island.

The film, to be distributed in the next ten days, was shot by Cmdr. John Ford of the Naval Reserve during the actual battle. Five hundred prints will be sent out to theaters.

Hedy steals the show

Hedy Lamarr stole the bond drive show yesterday with her appearance in Newark, where traffic was stopped, a woman fainted and several others lost bits of clothing in the rush to get near the actress. About $2,000,000 in sales were registered.

The “bondmobile,” which started from Times Square on Wednesday bearing effigies of Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito, reached Middletown yesterday after being pushed from Port Chester through Port Jervis. The motorless car is pushed one foot by each purchaser of a bond. When it reaches Niagara Falls, the last buyer will shove it over the falls.

2 Likes

Eight American newsmen killed since start of war

The casualty list of American war correspondents has grown during the three years of the war to eight killed, three missing and 17 wounded or injured in line of duty, according to an Editor & Publisher compilation.

A total of 17 representatives of American news agencies, newspapers, radio companies and magazines were captured in action. This group included those seized when Manila fell.

Germany, Italy and Japan interned 57 newspapermen, but the majority of these have been repatriated in diplomatic exchanges. However, 17 correspondents are still held in prison or internment camps.

Editor & Publisher predicted still heavier casualties in 1942-43. It pointed out that reporters are risking their lives with greater frequency in combat action in the Pacific offensive.


Forced savings seen alternative to spending tax

Treasury’s objections to compulsory plan believed withdrawn

…

2 Likes

The Pittsburgh Press (September 5, 1942)

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

ADARE, near LIMERICK, Ireland – This is where the River Shannon flows. For me, it’s no longer a long way to Tipperary, but only about 20 miles. On beyond is the home of the Kilkenny Cats. In a few hours I could be in Killarney. The Blarney Stone is a half day’s drive. I feel like the words to an old Irish ballad.

Yet, looking out the back window of my inn I have to pinch myself to realize I’m not in Indiana. Except that the fields are smaller, the country within eyesight is a duplicate of the grassy pastures at the edge of any Hoosier town in springtime.

Cattle are grazing in their lots. People dressed much as we dress are walking across the meadows. The hills are gently rolling, like ours along the Wabash. The same kinds of birds are singing. The trees look exactly the same as ours. Only the vine-covered stone fences that separate the fields give the scene an Old-World touch.

But if you go across the hall and look out the front of the inn, then it is different. A long thatched-roof house is across the street. There is a constant stream of bicyclists pedaling slowly and silently along the narrow asphalt road. Through the trees you can catch glimpses of the crumbling walls of a baronial castle.

Every little while a farmer will pass, driving half a dozen cattle. His pants are tied with string at the bottom and he always carries a stick cut from a tree limb. He keeps grunting “hughy, hughy” at his cows, as I suppose farmers do in all languages.

Heavy two-wheeled carts pass by the score, carrying huge cone shaped milk cans on their flat beds. Dressed-up people pass in fancy “traps,” the two-wheeled cart with a door at the back. If an auto should pass, you know without looking it is a doctor or a priest.

The front lawn of the inn is grassy, and canvas deck chairs are stretched in a row for the guests. You can sit here for hours in the warm sun, watching the local parade. There is something soothing and unwarlike about it. You forget that you are sitting on the ground of nearly 2,000 years of brawling and slaughter, and that within a few hundred miles, even now, the world’s greatest killing is going on.

They say Adare is the prettiest village in all Ireland. The highway is its main street. The whole population is less than 500. Everything is quiet.

I am sorry I cannot stay longer in Western Ireland, for over here I have a feeling I might find the tongues-in-cheeks, the left-handed report, the flavor of the “Old Sod” that I sought and missed in Dublin.

Nothing has happened to verify the belief that I might find it, but somehow it seems to be in the air. A nearby creek has eels in it, and old ladies drive carts pulled by sardonic little donkeys, and you can smell the cut hay in the fields. If I were to find Ireland, I think it might be here.

I had hardly arrived when a friend came up to me and said, "Do you think it proper that we should now make our call upon Mr. Hogan?”

I said, “I have not met Mr. Hogan, indeed have never heard of him. But if Mr. Hogan is who I think he is, then by all means let us hasten to pay our respects.”

Mr. Hogan is who I thought he was. He is the publican. He also runs the butcher shop. It is a very convenient arrangement. For if it’s after 10 at night you enter the public house via the department of roasts and chops, seeking an imaginary piece of meat for your theoretically starving family. The Irish have a way around everything.

The city of Rathkeale is only a few miles from here, and they happened to be having their monthly cattle market. It is an old custom, and I might say a loathsome one.

Farmers for miles around drive their cattle into town that one day a month. They herd them into the main street. And there they stand all morning and well into the afternoon.

Mostly the farmers talk to each other, and try to keep their cattle from getting mixed up. We drove through the town, and it was like driving through a stockyard. Cattle and men were so thick we had to go in low gear. Cows blocked the street, consumed the sidewalks, took possession of the very doorways of stores. Shoppers were nonexistent, for it was indiscreet to walk upon the streets.

During the day buyers from the packing companies dicker individually with each cattle owner. A great many of the cattle are driven back home, awaiting a better price and to provide another excuse for coming to town for the next market.

When it is all over the farmers set their boys to watching the cattle, and adjourn for a nip or two before starting home. The main street is finally cleared of its bovine choker, and then the last rites are started – the storekeepers, with brooms and great buckets of water, begin the heroic task of restoring their village to a habitable form.

Völkischer Beobachter (September 6, 1942)

Der Gummi lockt sie an –
USA.-Truppen in Belgisch-Kongo

Eigener Bericht des „Völkischen Beobachters“

rd. Bern. 5. September –
Der Chef der belgischen Emigrantenregierung in London, Pierlot, teilte nach USA. und Belgisch-Kongo mit, daß die ersten Truppenkontingente aus den USA. in Leopoldville, der Hauptstadt Belgisch-Kongos, eingetroffen seien. Die Amerikaner hätten die Aufgabe, im belgischen Kongo ein Flugplatznetz zur Unterstützung der „Quer-durch-Afrika“-Verbindung anzulegen.

Nachdem England erst vor kurzem Lord Swinton zum Kabinettsminister für Britisch-Afrika ernannte mit dem Auftrag, auch die wirtschaftlichen Quellen des von de Gaulle kontrollierten Gebietes Französisch-Afrikas und des Belgisch-Kongo mit zu organisieren‚ mag für London dieser expansionistische Eifer des Imperialismus Washingtons wohl äußerst peinlich sein. Die Rohstoffquellen, die London in dieser Gegend als Ersatz für die in Ostasien verlorengegangenen Reichtümer fester erschließen wollte, geraten so mehr und mehr unter die amerikanische Oboraufsicht.

Daran dachte wahrscheinlich auch Pierlot‚ als er ganz unvermittelt an die obige Erklärung die Bemerkung anschloß‚ daß der Kongo besonders gut geeignet für Gummiproduktion sei, und daß vder dortige Anbau bedeutend vermehrt werde. Dieser angeblich „belgische“ Politiker scheint sich auch noch darüber zu freuen, daß Roosevelt das frühere Kolonialreich Belgiens schluckt.

Vormarsch auf Neuguinea

dnb. Berlin, 5. September –
Die Japaner machen auf Neuguinea weitere Fortschritte. So gelang es ihnen, den Widerstand der Australier im Kampfgebiet der Milne bucht zu brechen und den Gegner 30 Kilometer zurückzutreiben. Über 180 Gefangene fielen in japanische Hand, darunter der australische Abschnittskommandeur. 14 Geschütze, 21 Maschinengewehre‚ 7 Minenwerfer und 2 Flakgeschütze wurden von den Japanern erbeutet.

In Luftkämpfen über Neuguinea und Nordaustralien schossen japanische Jäger neun feindliche Flugzeuge ab, ohne eigene Verluste zu erleiden. Die schweren Luftangriffe auf nordaustralische Hafenstädte wurden auch am Freitag von der japanischen Marineluftwaffe fortgesetzt.

Brooklyn Eagle (September 6, 1942)

ROMMEL HURLED BACK, BLASTED BY U.S. FLIERS
3 enemy attacks smashed in Egypt

Allies peril foe west of Alamein – Yanks bomb convoy off Crete

…