America at war! (1941– ) (Part 1)

Douglas may quit films for duration

Hollywood, March 10 (UP) –
Film star Melvyn Douglas plans to retire from pictures for the duration and devote full time to his civilian defense position.

Douglas, whose appointment to the post drew Congressional criticism, told friends he would return to Washington as soon as he completes a current picture at Columbia Pictures Studio.

He said:

I wouldn’t have returned to Hollywood at all if I hadn’t been under contract for the picture.

Bowler gets OCD job – Landis is asked why

Name of ‘coordinator’ is missing from list; Byrd seeks facts
By Fred W. Perkins, Press Washington correspondent

Canadian Armored Corps, other units, reach Britain

London, March 10 (UP) –
Canadian Army reinforcements have arrived in Britain, it was disclosed officially today.

Armored corps were among the newly arrived Canadian units, which included infantry, ordnance, engineering, artillery, forestry corps, and medical corps.

Congress fiddles –
Vital ‘honky-tonk’ issue holds interest of Senate

Chamber of Commerce urges sales tax, hits income boost

Asks levy of 2-5% to raise part of $7 billion

Henry McLemore’s viewpoint –
Governors who protested moving California’s Japs to their states get ‘man of year’ vote

By Henry McLemore

Fullscreen capture 3162021 121420 PM.bmp

When the time comes to vote for the “Man of the Year,” I’m going to have to cast nine ballots.

That’s how many candidates I have. Each is a governor. I don’t know their names, but they are the governors who protested having Jap aliens “dumped,” as they put it, in their states.

Those protests make them standout citizens in my book. That’s patriotism – the real stuff. That’s cooperation in time of danger – right up to the hilt. That’s protection of State’s Rights – 100% – 200%.

You can bet all you want that the governors did not speak for the people they represent.

Those protests were the voices from the backrooms in the executive mansion where the cute work, the sly political work goes on.

That’s a grandstand play for votes, but it is going to backfire. Americans aren’t going to stand for such an attitude for governors of states which have the room to take care of the thousands of Japs who swarm all over the most important American theater of war and war production.

Trouble stirrer-upper

Naturally, no state would beg for the Japs. They aren’t going to improve any place they are removed to. But, with this country’s back to the wall, the governors must be willing to pitch in and help.

When I was on the Coast and whacked the Japanese over the head, I’ll bet I had hundreds of letters saying that I was a scoundrel of the first water; that I was an inciter of hatred, a needless stirrer-up of trouble.

None of these letters was from California. People there wrote in by the thousands to say I was telling the truth. They have known all along what the Japs were doing, and have been doing, for 20 years.

Excuse, please! Accidental

Now, thanks to District Attorney Dockweiler of Los Angeles, everybody knows what the sawed-off little cusses of Nippon have been up to the District Attorney, in case you missed the story, had a map made showing Jap landholding in and about the Los Angeles area. The little bums are everywhere. They own land near every railway line in Los Angeles County, the Douglas, Lockheed and Vultee aircraft factories, the major reservoir in that district, and practically all of the oil wells and refineries.

Accidental, of course. Either that or sacrifice on the part of the jaundice-colored little fellows. Who knows but what they bought the less fertile land near strategic war centers in order that Americans might have the richer soil that lay elsewhere?

They’re going to keep 'em

The thing to do with these almond-eyed brethren and sistren is to herd 'em up and lead them, none too gently, to inland states where the acreage is so plentiful that if they wander off, mischief bent, they are likely to wind up decorating the landscape, along with the skulls of lost cattle.

But apparently this isn’t going to be done. The latest word from the Pacific Coast Alien Control Coordinator said that Hirohito’s henchmen would be kept inside California. Why, I don’t know.

Could it be because the nine governors have protested against marring the Chamber of Commerce beauty of their states by moving in a few thousand Japs? Probably.

That’s why I want nine ballots when the time comes to choose the “Man of the Year.”

Such a love of country must not go unrewarded, even if a man has to stuff the ballot box.

McNutt likely ‘heir’ to dance division of OCD

Democratic Leader Kelly goes with ‘hot potato’ as muscle builder

Instructions free –
Farm handouts issued despite war economy

42 publications appear in two months; raspberry fruitworm 'an item’

Independence plan for India due at once

Churchill may announce dominion status in Commons tomorrow
By Helen Kirkpatrick

Extension of dry zones at Washington sought

U.S. gets Italian liner

Rio de Janeiro, March 10 –
Brazil is turning over the 23,861-ton Italian luxury liner Conte Grande to the United States, it was revealed today. The disclosure was made when United States officers arrived by plane to take over command of the vessel.

U.S. subs blast 6 Jap vessels

Destroyer, tanker sunk; carrier, 3 cruisers hit

Air-minded men in top Navy, Army posts

Zero airplane best fighter for Japanese

Highly maneuverable craft carries two 20-caliber cannon

Brazil aroused by new sinking

Italian submarine blamed in Atlantic attack

Enemy broadcast –
100,000 surrender on Java, Japs say

Dispatches from enemy countries are based in broadcasts over controlled radio stations which frequently contain false propaganda. Bear this in mind.

Tanker sunk off Cuba

Havana, March 10 –
A tanker, believed to be the 7,932-ton Hanseat, chartered by the Standard Oil Co. was torpedoed off the Cape Maisí, at the eastern end of Cuba, yesterday.

37 or 39 members of the crew landed at Baracoa, on the north coast of Oriente Province, and it was understood some of them had been wounded by submarine shellfire. They were rescued by a Cuban schooner.

Item veto needed, Roosevelt asserts

Pension repeal bill signed by Roosevelt

Dizzy

If the reader is not already dizzy over the censoring of the censor who censored that uncensored London Daily Mail story about giant American convoys in the Southwest Pacific, and “naval and air battles on a scale unparalleled in history [that] are developing,” this record may compound his confusion.

On Thursday, Secretary of War Stimson said material reinforcements had been sent to the Java Sea in the last week.

Saturday morning, the London Daily Mail carried the dispatch about convoys and unparalleled battles, from its correspondent, Walter Farr, datelined “At Sea Aboard an American Warship.” The Farr story was cabled from London to Melbourne by American press services and printed by American newspapers.

Then the explosions. Irate readers deluged editors with protests against revealing military secrets. Irate editors criticized the Navy Department for allowing a British correspondent to file material banned to American correspondents.

Secretary of the Navy Knox, after a White House war council, denied the dispatch was filed from a warship. He added that he was taking up the matter with the British government “with a great deal of vigor.” Another officials explained that Mr. Farr had sent his story from Australia to escape American censorship.

Sunday was enlivened by “a final Navy Department report on the Farr incident,” which started in part:

Late information reaching Washington now locates Farr’s filing point at Honolulu… Further analysis of the story, in the light of now known circumstances, suggests that it contains no factual information about movements to Australia which has not been published by the American press prior to the London Daily Mail publication.

While we do not agree here with the judgment of the naval officer at Honolulu who reviewed and released the story, we can understand why he might not have regarded the story as being news.

The reader cannot be blamed for being somewhat confused by such “now you see it, now you don’t” games. But of one thing the reader can be sure when he sees such a story – it has passed plenty of censors before he gets it in his newspaper.

First it passed the naval censor at the source. Then it passed the London censors and Melbourne censors, ingoing and outgoing. Then it passed incoming American censors. Then, when some editors consulted a Washington censor for advice, it was passed again.

As for the official confusion, that is typical. While Secretary Knox was dismissing the Los Angeles “enemy raid” as a “false alarm,” Army authorities were suggesting that Jap agents had rented 15 commercial planes for the purpose.

Secretary of War Stimson withheld the route of the new Alaskan highway as a secret, which the Ottawa government promptly divulged. American censors refused reference to a new U.S. naval base in Eritrea, but the British government announced it and British censors cleared the story – to which President Roosevelt objected.

So, dear reader, while feeling pity for yourself, please save a little for the helpless editor and for the poor censor. Sometimes the red tape and brass hats and gold braids make them dizzy, too.

1 Like