Deputy Prime Minister Mikołajczyk
Mr. Modzelewski
860c.00/7-3145: Telegram

The Appointed Ambassador to Poland to the Acting Secretary of State

Babelsberg, July 31, 1945
Secret
Victory 444

To Acting Secretary of State from Lane.

Called yesterday on Modzelewski former Polish Ambassador Moscow now Assistant Minister Foreign Affairs, President Bierut and Mikołajczyk also joined group. Following is summary of Modzelewski’s remarks:

1. Newspaper correspondents should be able to enter Poland before end August. Only present obstacle poor quality telegraphic communications. (As Modzelewski mentioned censorship this may also be reason for short delay.)

2. Consulates can be established Danzig, Poznan, Lodz and Cracow. (Depending on outcome of western frontier we may suggest Breslau also.)

3. Rate of exchange for diplomatic corps will have to be arranged. Present rate of eleven zlotys and fraction impossible for us to subsist on.

4. Policing entirely adequate. Polish Government will furnish sufficient guards. Unnecessary for us bring military detachment. (Shall report further on arrival Warsaw.)

5. Coal deal being arranged with U.S. here. They want goods in return principally fats, meats and oils.

6. Requested my personal advice re Oskar Lange as Ambassador to U.S. I replied I thought it might create unfortunate impression because his U.S. Citizenship.

7. Soviet troops being withdrawn from Poland except for portion west of 1939 west frontier. (Repeated to Moscow and Paris for Lovell.)

8. Soviet, Czech, Yugoslav, French Ambassadors and Swedish and British chargés now in Warsaw.

Meeting of the Communiqué Subcommittee, evening

Present
United States United Kingdom Soviet Union
Mr. Brown

Brown: “… Met with communiqué committee after Foreign Ministers, British and Soviets seemed to like draft. Foote and I had prepared it. All of it had previously been submitted to British. …”

761.94/7-2145: Telegram

The Japanese Ambassador in the Soviet Union to the Japanese Minister of Foreign Affairs

Moscow, July 30, 1945 — 8 p.m.
[Translation]
Secret
urgent

Re your telegram No. 952

1. There is no reason to believe that Stalin was not informed beforehand on the Potsdam joint declaration and this must be considered only natural, judging from the present relationship among the three countries – the United States, Great Britain, and the Soviet Union. Also, for the most part, we can surmise that the above-mentioned joint declaration had some connection with our plan to send the special envoy, i.e., our first request to the Soviet Union on the 13th regarding the dispatch of a special envoy. It can be suspected that the subject was casually mentioned to the leaders of the United States and Great Britain at Potsdam. I believe we can conclude that the recent joint declaration was based on this information and that the three countries – the United States, Great Britain, and China – made a proclamation in an effort to make their stand clear and definite. As to whether or not the declaration of the 26th was made after the leaders of the United States and Great Britain were informed of the first request which I made to Lozovsky on the 25th and also regarding the second request (my telegram No. 1449) on sending the special envoy, all this is not actually too important. Also, in reality, we believe that a discussion was held with Chiang Kai-shek prior to our presentation of the request on the 25th. Nevertheless, it is possible that they have already ferreted out signs of our overtures to conclude a negotiated peace at that time. The only ones who knew the circumstances of that period are Stalin and Molotov, and it is a difficult task to find out the truth. As for our side, I believe there is nothing we can do but to reason as indicated above.

2. In connection with the above problems, one important point is that by issuing the joint declaration, the United States and Great Britain made persistent demands on Japan to surrender unconditionally immediately, and another important point which they made clear is that they have no intention of relaxing the terms as stated in the declaration. If Stalin sees that it is impossible to shake the will of the United States and Great Britain regarding the above points, it would mean that our request to send the special envoy cannot be accepted and will be futile, regardless of how we explain that our desire to terminate the miserable war is in accordance with the will of our gracious Emperor and that Stalin will be called the advocate of world peace, etc. As for the United States and Great Britain, their contention will be that the only way for Japan to avoid the bloodshed of war is to surrender immediately. Stalin will also exert sufficient heavy pressure on the United States, Great Britain, and China regarding Manchuria, China, Korea, etc., in the event that Japan surrenders. He is also believed to have made up his mind to push through his claim and actually holds the power to do so. Therefore I believe that Stalin feels there is absolutely no necessity for making a voluntary agreement with Japan. On this point I see a serious discrepancy between your view and the actual state of affairs.

Also, attention should be paid to Australian Foreign Minister Evatt’s announcement, as reported by the BBC on the 30th, that he was opposed to the attitude of the joint declaration against Japan since it tends to be more lenient toward Japan than the stand taken by the Allied nations against Germany in the past.

I request that you read through my telegram No. 1476 together with this telegram.

Byrnes-Attlee meeting [?]

Present
United States United Kingdom
Secretary Byrnes Prime Minister Attlee
Foreign Secretary Bevin

Byrnes: “As soon as Mr. Attlee and Mr. Bevin returned I visited them and, after several hours discussion, obtained their agreement in principle to our proposal [on reparations from Germany].”

Mosely-Ward and Mosely-Gusev conversations

Present
United States United Kingdom Soviet Union
Mr. Mosely Mr. Ward Mr. Gusev
740.00119 Control (Germany)/7-2945

Memorandum by the Political Adviser to the Representative on the European Advisory Commission

[Babelsberg, July 30, 1945]

Informed J. G. Ward (UK) and Gousev (USSR) July 30, of U.S. approval and timing arrangement. Telegram to Mr. Winant, July 30.

P[HILIP] E. M[OSELY]

740.00119 EAC/7-3045: Telegram

The Secretary of State to the Ambassador in the United Kingdom

Babelsberg, July 30, 1945
Top secret
Victory 440

To American Embassy, London, information State Department, Washington, D.C. For Winant.

Re your 65481, July 28, repeated to Department 7606, Comea 345 and re your 65482, July 28, repeated to Department as 7607, Comea 346 and re your 281045, July 28

United States Government has approved three proposed public statements re zones of occupation in Austria, control machinery in Austria and consultation with governments of other United Nations in exercising four-power authority in Austria. US Government approves simultaneous issuance three joint statements in four capitals at a time to be determined in each. Publication of three joint statements should not precede publication of conference communiqué. Each might agree that three joint statements be issued 24 or 48 hours after publication of conference communiqué.

Mosely has informed Gousev of US approval of three statements and of proposal for their issuance immediately after conference communiqué. Gousev has not yet reported re Soviet clearance of three statements and timing of their publication.

BYRNES

The Pittsburgh Press (July 30, 1945)

1500 PLANES BATTER JAPAN
Pre-invasion drive in 21st day

Tokyo region pounded by carriers; warships bombard Hamamatsu

Gen. Roosevelt asks release from Army

‘Advised’ to retire, Washington hears

Empire State office looted of thousands

Building escapes structural damage

Big Three working on communiqué

Military decisions to be kept secret
By Merriman Smith, United Press staff writer

Prosecution finishes case against Petain

Roosevelt pledged aid to France, court told

He tossed dice and lost –
Two-wife captain worries about honor of WAC bride

Can’t find letter on No. 1’s ‘death’
By Nat A. Barrows

Nazis list losses at 3,625,354

Total does not include men wounded

U.S. plans drive on tax chiselers

Black markets also to be attacked

I DARE SAY —
For whom the bell tolls

By Florence Fisher Parry

Leaders say ultimatum may shorten Jap war, despite rejection

Army and Navy men hail Truman’s move, hope it means U.S. will keep Pacific bases
By Roy W. Howard

Slayer’s husband returning to Army

USS Pittsburgh, with new bow, soon to return to war on Japs

Members of crew now joke about typhoon; captain and men both laud each other
By Elizabeth Ferguson

Ford 82 years old today; predicts great prosperity

Warns industry must not dawdle

Agreement on trial of Nazis will be signed this week

Jackson informs British, French, Russians that U.S. opposes any further delay