America at war! (1941–) – Part 5

761.94/7-2145: Telegram

The Japanese Ambassador in the Soviet Union to the Japanese Minister of Foreign Affairs

Moscow, July 24, 1945 — 5:56 p.m.
[Translation]
Urgent

Re your telegram No. 932

We received this telegram on the 22nd, but your telegram No. 931 did not arrive until today, the 24th. After considering the manner of presenting our proposal, we intend to suggest a meeting with Lozovsky.

Truman-Stalin conversation, 7:30 p.m.

Cecilienhof Palace, Potsdam

Present
United States Soviet Union
President Truman Generalissimo Stalin
Mr. Pavlov

Truman: “On July 24 I casually mentioned to Stalin that we had a new weapon of unusual destructive force. The Russian Premier showed no special interest. All he said was that he was glad to hear it and hoped we would make ‘good use of it against the Japanese.’”

Byrnes: “At the close of the meeting of the Big Three on the afternoon of July 24, the President walked around the large circular table to talk to Stalin. After a brief conversation the President rejoined me and we rode back to the ‘Little White House’ together. He said he had told Stalin that, after long experimentation, we had developed a new bomb far more destructive than any other known bomb, and that we planned to use it very soon unless Japan surrendered. Stalin’s only reply was to say that he was glad to hear of the bomb and he hoped we would use it.”

Leahy: “At the plenary session on July 24, Truman walked around to Stalin and told him quietly that we had developed a powerful weapon, more potent than anything yet seen in war. The President said later that Stalin’s reply indicated no especial interest and that the Generalissimo did not seem to have any conception of what Truman was talking about. It was simply another weapon and he hoped we would use it effectively.”

Churchill: “Next day, July 24, after our plenary meeting had ended and we all got up from the round table and stood about in twos and threes before dispersing, I saw the President go up to Stalin, and the two conversed alone with only their interpreters. I was perhaps five yards away, and I watched with the closest attention the momentous talk. I knew what the President was going to do. What was vital to measure was its effect on Stalin. I can see it all as if it were yesterday. He seemed to be delighted.… As we were waiting for our cars I found myself near Truman. ‘How did it go?’ I asked. ‘He never asked a question,’ he replied.”

Byrnes conversation with members of the Polish Delegation

Present
United States Poland
Secretary Byrnes

Morse-Weston conversation, evening

Present
United States United Kingdom
Mr. Morse Mr. Weston

The principal subject of discussion was the distribution of captured German vessels. In the course of the conversation Morse communicated to Weston a draft memorandum from Land to Clayton on this subject.

Second meeting of the Subcommittee on Implementation of the Yalta Declaration on Liberated Europe, evening

Present
United States United Kingdom Soviet Union
Mr. Brown Mr. Gromyko

Brown: “There was a conference tonight on freedom of press and movement in liberated areas in Balkans. Gromyko came up with a weasel-worded statement on assuring correspondents the right to report out of these countries. He still insisted on military censorship and admitted this could cover political censorship of certain stories. Would not agree to affirmative declaration against political censorship and freedom of press in these areas. Meeting adjourned with no agreement.”

The Pittsburgh Press (July 24, 1945)

JAP FLEET HIDEOUT RIDDLED
Enemy fliers lash back fiercely

2,000 planes hit foe, including 1,000 Navy craft, 600 Superforts

Big Three to recess for results of British voting

Churchill to leave Potsdam tomorrow
By Merriman Smith, United Press staff writer

Churchill to know election fate by Thursday evening

LONDON, England (UP) – Prime Minister Churchill should know by 5 p.m. (noon ET) Thursday whether he has been returned to office by the British electorate.

Ballots in the 640 constituencies of the United Kingdom have been sealed in the boxes where they were cast since July 5 or, in the case of a few districts where local holidays coincided with the general election date, since July 12 and 19.

The ballots of servicemen overseas have been accumulating and have been impounded.

The official count will begin between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. Thursday in each constituency under supervision of the local town clerk. The results are announced by the local clerks. The count requires from two to seven hours, depending on the size of the constituency.

By 5 p.m., it is expected, virtually all the returns will have been counted. The results are flashed to the headquarters of the Conservative, Labor and Liberal Parties, and are tabulated there.

Jap offensive launched in China

Enemy tries to ease pressure on Kweilin

Reynaud: Petain in league with Nazis for 10 years

Ex-premier brands marshal arch-apostle of defeatism who wanted to be dictator

Lack of men perils shifting of Army

ODT, senators ask for 75,000 railroaders

Polish waif to stay in U.S. if inquiry upholds story

Orphan may go to boys’ school

Ration Book No. 5 due in December

Price chief hopes it will be last

Public promised more ‘heavy’ soap

‘Whitewash’ seen in Elliot’s case

Morgenthau says he was fired

I DARE SAY —
Junior Miss

By Florence Fisher Parry

‘Big house’ is termed ‘Cupid Club’

Wild parties, ‘love nest for $1’ told

Readers insist on papers as news sources

Radio fails to fulfill needs, survey shows

Wheeler ‘reluctant’ but will back Charter and seek curb later

Montana senator wants Congress to retain power over sending of troops abroad

U.S. Navy to get surrendered U-boat

WASHINGTON (UP) – Usually-reliable sources said today that the Argentine government has arranged to turn over to the United States the German submarine U-530 which surrendered recently to Argentine authorities.

Argentina technically relinquished the U-boat to Great Britain and the United States but the actual transfer is expected to be to the U.S. Navy.

Copperweld strike ends at Glassport

85 return after work crew dispute

They’ll stop off at Pittsburgh –
Perkins: Russian labor leaders to shun Red convention

It’s just a coincidence that they arrived in U.S. as Communists convened
By Fred W. Perkins, Pittsburgh Press staff writer