America at war! (1941–) – Part 5

Marines, Coast Guard recruiting war dogs

David Ross doodles self into jewelry trade

Little mikeman big in many ways
By Si Steinhauser

Neues Österreich (May 11, 1945)

Göring kontra Hitler

London, 10. Mai – Wie bereits berichtet, wurde der frühere Reichsmarschall Göring von der 7. amerikanischen Armee gefangengenommen. In Görings Begleitung befanden sich seine Frau und seine Tochter. Die Gefangennahme erfolgte in einem Schloss bei Kitzbühel.

Göring und Kesselring erklärten, Deutschlands Niederlage sei vor allem auf die überwältigende alliierte Luftüberlegenheit zurückzuführen. Göring sagte weiter, er habe am 24. April Hitler gegenüber geäußert, dass der Zeitpunkt gekommen wäre, zurückzutreten, und zwar zu seinen Gunsten. Hitler habe diesen Vorschlag als Hochverrat betrachtet und Göring zum Tode. verurteilt. Göring habe sich dann nach Berchtesgaden begeben, wo er durch den Rundfunk erfuhr, dass er seiner Ämter enthoben sei. Einige seiner Getreuen hätten ihn dann nach Tirol gebracht, um ihn vor der SS zu verstecken.

Ich war in Moskau…

U.S. Navy Department (May 11, 1945)

CINCPOA Communiqué No. 359

During the evening of May 10 and the morning of May 11 (East Longitude Dates) several groups of enemy aircraft attacked our ships and shore installations in the Okinawa area damaging three light Naval units. More than 40 enemy planes were shot down by our combat air patrols and anti­-aircraft fire.

During the night of May 10-11, the Japanese on Okinawa made numerous night attacks and attempts at night infiltration into the lines of the Tenth Army. Practically all the attacking Japanese were killed. At 0700 local time on May 11 after large scale preparation by heavy artillery Naval gunfire and aerial bombing the Tenth Army launched a strong attack. The initial assault carried elements of the Marine III Amphibious Corps on the west and of the XIV Army Corps on the east to the high ground overlooking the enemy stronghold of Shuri. Enemy resistance was heavy along the front. On the west the 6th Marine Division made a general advance southward to a line about 800 yards south of the Asa estuary and the 1st Marine Division, employing tanks, advanced and occupied the village of Dakeshi. In the center of the island, the 77th Infantry Division engaged in hand to hand fighting as it moved forward in rugged terrain. On the east the 96th Infantry Division was gaining ground slowly against strong resistance.

At the end of May 10, the enemy on Okinawa had lost 39,469 killed in action.

As of May 9, according to most recent reports available, 1,283 officers and men of the U.S. Pacific Fleet had been killed and 2,072 were reported missing in action from the beginning of the Okinawa operation and associated operations against Japan. A total of 3,498 were wounded.

Search planes of Fleet Air Wing One shot down a four‑engine flying boat west of Kyushu and set a small cargo ship afire west of Korea on May 10.

FlAirWing Eighteen planes damaged several fishing craft and set two small cargo ships afire south of Honshu on May 10. In the same area on the following day planes of this wing shot down an enemy plane, exploded a coastal cargo ship, damaged another coastal vessel and caused it to beach, set a small cargo ship afire and damaged a number of landing craft. Search planes of FlAirWing Eighteen destroyed two small cargo ships in Truk Harbor on May 11.

Further information about the action of British carrier aircraft against airfields in the Sakishima group on May 9 shows that two enemy planes were destroyed on the ground and six more were destroyed in the air. One British plane was lost in combat.

Liberators of the 11th Army Air Force bombed shipping and installations at Kataoka Naval Base on Shumushu and Kashiwabara on Paramushiru in the Kurils on May 10. Meager anti-aircraft fire was encountered.

Aircraft of the 4th Marine Aircraft Wing and FlAirWing Two continued neutralizing raids on the Marshalls on May 10. Marine Corsair and Hellcat fighters destroyed installations in the Palaus on May 11.

Message from Soviet Marshal Stalin to President Truman
May 11, 1945

Сердечно благодарю Вас за дружественные поздравления по случаю безоговорочной капитуляции гитлеровской Германии. Народы Советского Союза высоко ценят участие дружественного американского народа в нынешней освободительной войне. Совместная борьба советских, американских и британских армий против немецких захватчиков, завершившаяся их полным разгромом и поражением, войдёт в историю как образец боевого содружества наших народов.

От имени советского народа и Советского правительства прошу передать американскому народу и доблестной американской армии горячий привет и поздравления с великой победой.

И. СТАЛИН
11 мая 1945

The Pittsburgh Press (May 11, 1945)

BIG JAP SEA BASE SMASHED
Raiders blast 97 ships in Saigon raids

Superfortresses mine enemy’s inland sea
By the United Press

Twisted-brain Nazi brutes still talk old nonsense

Panzer beasts don’t realize they’re licked, say they surrender to help fight Reds
By William H. Stoneman

U-boats yield – Reds hem in diehard Nazis

Submarines surfacing all over Atlantic

Himmler escapes into Alps as U.S. troops close trap

Commander of hangman’s Ss guard surrenders after Austrian reveals hideout
By Malcolm Muir Jr., United Press staff writer

Czech Nazi leader cuts wrists

Prison compound too much for Heinlwein
By Iris Carpenter, North American Newspaper Alliance

Chief in Norway blows self up

Terboven escapes trial through death

Bowles urges ‘an avalanche’ in production

1942 price range planned by OPA

New England hit by snowstorm

parry3

I DARE SAY —
The lights go on

By Florence Fisher Parry

NEW YORK (V-E Night) – It was dusk when we caught our taxi. The clouds had fled the sky after 10 days of downpour. Even as we stepped into the taxi near Grand Central, we could hear a low purr from Times Square. A haze of light loomed, westward.

“Why, they’ve turned on the lights of Broadway!” we cried. We felt a little giddy as we came into the wide-open square before Times Square. The duplicate Statue of Liberty held a flaming torch, and her crown was a diadem of lights. The marquees of the theaters blazed their wares, and the great electric signs were shining! And the “Way” was gay and white!

We had stood in this selfsame spot exactly three years ago, when the first complete blackout engulfed Manhattan. Three years. Now the sudden brilliance and life was almost too much to bear. With hundreds of others, silenced too, we stood still, tears in our eyes. Only now the splendor and sadness of the day seemed to break in upon us. It took the lights of Broadway to do it, somehow… make us FEEL that yes, IT HAD COME!

The lovers

There were many young lovers, sailors encircling their girls, soldiers bending over the faces of shining young women, giddy with love and relief. The side streets were full of these young lovers, standing close to the windows kissing, saying soft words to each other…

A tall gangly sailor was rubbing the nose of a policeman’s horse. “Where you come from, sailor?” asked the officer. “Montana,” grinned the sailor. “Kin I give him a piece of candy like I do at home?”

We went into our theater, to see Bloomer Girl. All through its action we could hear the soft far roar from Broadway. The actors spoke a little more loudly, the audience was very quiet. When the final ballet came, one that showed the Civil War brides and sweethearts awaiting the return of their lovers… and the lovers returned and stood there an instant, spellbound by the glory of reunion, and then took their girls in their arms, the audience wept… One girl in the ballet looked in vain for her lover and sank to the ground, bereft… And a sob came from a girl beside me…

…We went to Grand Central just to see the boys come in from their trains… Ah, the meetings, ah, the swift heartbreaking partings, ah, the pity and ache of war!

We sat at a squeezed table to have a clam stew. Besides us, facing each other, were a girl and a soldier. She was very light and frail with a sensitive face, and her lids hung heavily with shyness and love. It was their last date. He was going out again that night.

Departure

“Are you sure you have everything? You haven’t forgotten anything, have you?” she said softly.

“Nope. Not a thing. As I was saying, these guys I was telling you about had an idea they could drink me under the table. ME! That’s a good one! Why, I could drink them all under the table. I always can drink whoever I’m wid under the table.”

“It was wonderful your being able to BE here tonight, on such a big night. Victory and everything. Maybe you won’t have to stay so long now… Maybe you’ll be coming home sooner…”

“Mebbe. Well, I’m kinda used to the Army. Take this leave now, it was swell, but I dunno, I’ll be glad to get back to my buddies. Take Jenks now, he’s the guy who thinks he can drink ME under the table! Wisht he was here tonight, would I show HIM!"

It was time to go now, the place was closing… We moved away from the table. The girl was still listening to her hero. Her pinched little smile kept coming back to me as I turned out the lights of our room…

All over Europe, the guns had stopped firing. Bodies had ceased to crumple in that odd, sudden grotesque way… The far Broadway din seemed to turn into a thin high wall… as of anguish, the thin wall of anguish from the throats of those to whom this day had come too late…

WMC soon to free millions of workers ‘frozen’ to their jobs

All manpower regulations will be lifted in many areas by July 1

Refunds of $5 billion proposed for industry

Bogart and Bacall set May 22 as ‘day’

Truman’s mother, 92, flying to Capitol

U.S. to exercise iron control over lives of German people

Hitler lost hope in December 1943

First point discharges set for tomorrow

Army to release 2,500 in nation

Questions and answers on demobilization

Save this for your grandchildren –
You’ve just lived through biggest news month in history