America at war! (1941–) – Part 4

The winter: No-strike!
Wavering UAW revokes, then reaffirms pledge

Reconversion jitters has ‘bad boy’ union punch-drunk at the final gong
By Ray De Crane, Scripps-Howard staff writer

MPs V-Day to be followed by hangover

London, England (UP) –
Alfred Denville, Conservative member of Parliament, announced his plans for V-Day today.

They include giving $20 to every woman in his constituency who has a baby that day, tearing up his wartime identity card in a public ceremony, kissing all the girls he knows, and having a drink with every friend he can find.

Marlene in Iceland

Reykjavík, Iceland –
Movie star Marlene Dietrich has arrived in Iceland from Greenland to entertain troops before proceeding to the European Theater with a USO unit.

Boston case decided –
Trolley men granted bonus by Labor Board

Decision may affect many other employees

americavotes1944

Stokes: Dewey strategy

By Thomas L. Stokes

With Dewey party –
The “hideaway” phase of Governor Dewey’s presidential campaign this week, which has taken him into Nebraska’s sand hills and the mountain fastnesses of Wyoming, has aroused speculation.

Examination shows that it was very cleverly contrived.

He has made no speeches other than occasional and brief “Howdy-dos.” But through the forum of his press conferences, the Republican candidate has capitalized upon the antipathy to the New Deal and to war restrictions that is most emphatic among the independent-type folks who live on farms, ranches and in the small towns in the territory which he has covered. This is transmitted in turn to such folks in other parts of the country through the medium of the 50-odd newspaper correspondents on this trip.

This small town-rural element is the basis of Dewey strength.

He laid the foundation for his sort of campaign in his first speech at Philadelphia in which he advocated that the boys overseas be brought home as soon as possible after the war, and in which he declared that the Roosevelt administration was afraid of peace. This tack obviously had its seductive appeal to women – mothers, wives, and sweethearts.

MacArthur made an issue

Along this same general line, he sought to create suspicion of political motives in President Roosevelt’s management of the war when he said this week that now that Gen. Douglas MacArthur is no longer “a political threat” to the President, his magnificent talents should be given greater scope and recognition, insinuating also that adequate supplies had been withheld from the general during the Philippine campaign.

He did not suggest specifically that Gen. MacArthur be named overall commander in the Pacific. But his remarks were in connection with the Québec Conference where it was first reported that a Pacific commander was to be selected by President Roosevelt and Prime Minister Churchill. Gen. MacArthur, a popular figure, has been a sort of symbol and rallying point for Republicans who have raised him to the role of martyr.

When his campaign trip carried him into the farm and cattle country, Governor Dewey began to emphasize government war restrictions and regulations, which still seem to be onerous to people in this area.

At Des Moines, he said there is no doubt there will be large surpluses of food when the war is over, and he declared that this required efficient handling. He said the New Deal is not capable to prevent release of this food in a way that would be “a catastrophe” to the farmers.

Cites cattle surplus

At Valentine, Nebraska, in the heart of the cattle beyond the needs of the country, raising the question of a large surplus before housewives who have had trouble getting meat for their table. He criticized OPA’s handling of the problem.

That this type of campaign may be effective is indicated by the sharp outcries from Democrats, who are attacking this sort of appeal to win votes and are charging misrepresentation by the Republican candidate.

Experienced political correspondents on this train have recognized the general import and significance of this kind of campaign in a nation now growing war weary and, from past observation, they see how it may be effective in the psychological condition of the voters.

It begins to appear, too, that President Roosevelt himself will be forced to make a campaign to meet the Dewey thrusts. Smaller-fry spokesmen cannot get the hearing nationally that may be required.

Democratic leaders, by the charge of “misrepresentation” have laid the way for the President’s entry, for he said he did not plan to make a campaign except to answer “misrepresentations.”

Maj. Williams: Unpreparedness

By Maj. Al Williams

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

Hollywood, California –
It’s amazing how quickly French fashion designers got back into production after the liberation of Paris. I understand it was possible because they kept working underground during the Nazi occupation.

That’s wonderful, but imagine the styles they may bring out after spending four years underground. Instead of sable and mink we may have mole and groundhog. Why, the whole fashion world may turn upside down. Instead of flowers and birds on our hats we may have roots and gophers.

I think we women ought to band together and refuse to wear any such silly hats. Let’s just keep our sensible, conservative last years’ models – with oil derricks, birdcages, waffle irons, etc. I have one built like an aircraft carrier – and when I bend over, a little airplane takes off. And I’m keeping it – none of those silly hats for me.

Aldrich urges elimination of money pact

Submits plan for post-war recovery

Fortune: Penn gets film about Chinese

Katharine Hepburn, Huston head cast
By Dick Fortune

americavotes1944

Anti-fourth-term sentiment reflected in G.I.s’ letter

Hershey’s plan to keep Army mobilized ridiculed as his ‘latest morale booster

Washington –
Despite Democratic reports to the contrary, some overseas soldiers are not going to vote for a fourth term, Rep. John Jennings (R-TN) predicted today in making public a letter he received, ridiculing the Hershey plan to keep the Army mobilized after Germany is defeated.

The letter was dated Aug. 23 and addressed from “somewhere in Europe.” It was signed by 10 enlisted men privates, corporals and sergeants. Two are from Tennessee, one being from Mr. Jennings’ hometown of Knoxville.

The letter said:

Everywhere in the bloodstained hedgerows of France, the foxholes of Italy, the damp darkness of the jungle and in the shrapnel-torn skies of the world, tired, grim American soldiers stood up to cheer the latest morale booster of our beloved friend, Maj. Gen. Lewis B. Hershey. I quote from The Stars and Stripes of Aug. 23, 1944:

We can keep people in the Army about as cheaply as we could create an agency for them when they are out.

Right now, we think that Gen. Hershey could be voted the man with whom we should like most to share a slit-trench in the frontlines, for we believe him to be a man of vision; a man of understanding, especially of the wants, hopes and dreams of the common soldier.

It is this keen understanding, and the General’s well-known ability of expression and timing that will swing President Roosevelt back into the White House with the certain vote of every mother, father, sweetheart and wife who has a man serving overseas. That is why I urge you to support Mr. Roosevelt – he has such men around him to guide and counsel him in his moments of decision.

As you can see, I can hardly control my enthusiasm, for we love it here and will love it even more so after the war is won. We love the simple life of ease and quiet dignity, far from the clamor and turmoil of America and home.

Our only wish is that we can have an end to this dreadful talk of demobilization, that awful specter of returning home over the storm-tossed waters of the gray Atlantic. We want to stay here forever and forever among our pleasant European friends (Yeah, friends).

We are certain that none of us would ever consider returning home to America and taking work away from the poor fellows who have so nobly stood up under the strains of gasoline rationing, cuffless trousers and union scales. Never, not in a thousand years! And we know that they feel pretty much the same way about us, for they would never deprive us of the wonderful opportunity we now have here. Never, not in a thousand years would they come over here and take away our work.

They are content with their work-a-day world, and dull evenings at home with wives and children. Indeed, we are grateful to note in Fortune Magazine’s poll that some 44 percent of the folks back home have swung around to the General’s point of view and are unwilling to have us begin our reluctant trek home.

In fact, we have heard several soldiers state that they wish to have a list of those persons in that 44 percent of which Fortune Magazine writes, so that we could send them an old unexploded hand grenade or some nice unused mustard gas.

Millett: Gobs of love Navy’s rule

Sailors learn how to write letters
By Ruth Millett

Kay Williams asks final divorce decree

Four-way struggle for pennant resumes in American League

College football –
Midwest gets 4-game start

Sarge Kelley reports on ‘plugless’ radio

Listens for you on Aleutians
By Si Steinhauser

Cigarette shortage laid to hoarding

Official also blames more chain smoking

U.S. State Department (September 15, 1944)

Lot 60–D 224, Box 55: DO/PR/22

Memorandum by the Under Secretary of State to the Secretary of State

Washington, September 15, 1944

Subject: PROGRESS REPORT ON DUMBARTON OAKS CONVERSATIONS – TWENTY-THIRD DAY

Because Sir Alexander Cadogan was called to Quebec to confer with Prime Minister Churchill (on matters other than the Dumbarton Oaks conversations), no official meetings were held today.

Various members of the American group took advantage of the suspension of meetings to confer with one another and examine latest drafts of various documents.

Members of the secretariat took advantage of the delay to catch up with preparation of minutes and other papers. The latest draft of the document, based upon changes agreed to by the joint formulation group at its meeting yesterday afternoon, was copied and distributed to participants in the conversations.

Marshal Stalin’s reply to the President’s message on voting procedure was received. I sent a wire to the President quoting the exact text of the formula now under study.

At 4:00 p.m., Messrs. Long, Hackworth, Pasvolsky and I met with you for a 40-minute roundup discussion on the open questions.

Roosevelt conversation with the Archduke Otto of Austria, 5:00 p.m.

Present
President Roosevelt
Archduke Otto

Roosevelt had tea with Empress Zita of Austria, her sons the Archdukes Otto and Felix, her lady in waiting, and Miss Tully. The following paper is a translation made in the Department of State of a memorandum prepared by the Archduke Otto regarding his conversation with Roosevelt on this occasion:

Right at the beginning Roosevelt remarked that today they had been working over the maps and had noted (namely, he and Churchill) that Austria and Hungary would of all countries undergo the least territorial changes. The situation was unclear only where Transylvania was concerned because there were differences of opinion between the Russians and the Rumanians in that respect, and “we don’t know much about it.” Immediately following this he remarked “that our main concern is now how to keep the Communist out of Hungary and Austria.” This was extremely important to them, especially Hungary.

The remainder of the conversation was rather disjointed, as is the custom with R., and each problem was touched upon repeatedly. The following is a summary of what was said on the various points:

HUNGARY. This was evidently one of the cardinal issues of the conversation. R. kept coming back to this problem time and again. Apart from the President’s personal sympathy for Hungary, the main reason for this is probably the hope of making Hungary a bulwark against Russia. He stressed that he wished Hungary would make an unconditional surrender only to the Americans and British. If this were done, Hungary could be saved from communism. Hungary would surely receive mild terms. Military operations are now being planned which are designed to make it possible for the Hungarians to establish liaison with the civilized Allies. In the course of the discussion, R. took up the idea of having the Hungarian envoys act as transmitters of his proposal for Hungary. Specific mention was made of Apor, whom he would approach through Myron Taylor. His former sympathy for Horthy had been forfeited through the latter’s weakness and senility. He was very receptive to the idea that we might perhaps be helpful to him with respect to Hungary’s surrender. It was also agreed that I would immediately send him a message for the Hungarian government. He also asked in detail about Béla Kun, concerning whose atrocious deeds he was well informed. Attempts had also been made to prejudice him very strongly against Mihály Károlyi, but obviously he does not know much about him.

RUSSIA. It is evident that the relationship between R. and the Russians is strained. While the President emphasized that he liked Stalin personally – although he said a little later that he was “untrustworthy” and deceitful (my personal impression: the praise of Stalin was merely a gesture to put a little damper on our joy, and so was not genuine) – the President was bitterly critical of the men around Stalin. All the men around Stalin were old Bolsheviks whom one could not trust. There was a general interest in keeping the Russians away as far as possible. R. seems to have been particularly disgusted by Russia’s handling of the Bulgarian question. It is obvious that the Anglo-Saxons were tricked by the Russians. From all of R.’s remarks it is quite evident that he is afraid of the Communists and wants to do everything to contain Russia’s power – naturally short of war.

POLAND. R. is in an ill humor about Poland. Apparently there is a disposition to yield there. Sharp criticism of the Warsaw revolt, which was launched without consulting the Allies.

AUSTRIA. Austria’s independence will be restored and efforts will be made to protect the country from Bolshevism. The question whether Austria would want to form a federation with South Germany was raised at the Conference, but R. said that this should be left to the Austrians themselves. He thought that the Austrians would not care for that. When he asked for my opinion, I said that Austria would primarily wish to associate with the Danube countries, especially Hungary, but if Hungary were to fall into the hands of the Russians, Austria might consider a union with Catholic South Germany on the condition that Vienna would be the capital. German, R. remarked at this point, would be divided into three parts, North, West, and South Germany. R. apparently had no knowledge of the Hull Declaration. He shared our opinion that an uprising would be far too premature at this time. The question of the Austrian underground did not seem to interest him greatly. He seems to think that the underground is so strong that nothing needs to be done for it except supply it with arms at the last moment. South Tyrol was discussed with him. He is sympathetic to our efforts. It is not clear, however, whether anything has been done in this respect. He has reports from Italy about the present Italian government: they are relatively unconcerned about any territorial questions regarding Austria, they are interested in only one thing: they want to keep Trieste. He has proposed, and the proposal seems to have been accepted, that Trieste, Pola, and Fiume become free ports under international guarantee and administration. (The same régime, by the way, is also planned for the German ports.)

VATICAN. Understanding for the power of the Holy See. An interesting item is a report by Myron Taylor that Stalin had offered Rome, as the price of an understanding, to bring about a merger of the Orthodox Church with the Catholic Church.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

YUGOSLAVIA. R. stresses once more, as in previous conversations, that Yugoslavia is in his view an unnatural state. It should be transformed into a federation. Whether that would be done he did not say. Said: Poor Peter is in a very bad shape.

MISCELLANEOUS. Marked sympathy for Leopold of Belgium. – In view of Brazil’s weakness he will propose to the United Nations the establishment of American or United Nations bases in Dakar or the Cape Verde Islands. – Is very angry at Argentina. – Beneš or Czechoslovakia was not mentioned at all. – Made the remark that Stalin had harassed Churchill constantly at Tehran.

Morgenthau-Leahy conversation, about 5:00 p.m.

Present
Secretary of the Treasury Morgenthau
Admiral Leahy
Miss Tully

Morgenthau’s diary entry reads as follows:

While I was waiting for the President between five and six, I was sitting there talking with Grace Tully and Admiral Leahy joined us. He said that they had only settled that afternoon what part of Germany the English would go into, and what part the USA should go into. In the morning when I arrived at twelve, the President was sitting alone in his room with three different colored pencils and a map of Europe, and he then and there sketched out where he wanted us to go and where he wanted the English to go, and by that I mean our Armies. He had before him a map of the Combined Chiefs of Staff, which he said was terrible. According to Admiral Leahy, this afternoon the President showed Churchill his map, and got what he wanted. When I let Leahy read the memorandum on the Ruhr and the Saar, he was very happy because he said that the English were going to occupy the Ruhr and the Saar and they would have to carry this thing out.

The Secretary of the Treasury to the President

Quebec, September 15, 1944

Memorandum for the President

In regard to proposal for Lend Lease to France, my recommendation is that for the time being we postpone taking any action.

H M Jr.
Approved: F D R

The Under Secretary of State to President Roosevelt

Washington, September 15, 1944

Supplementing yesterday’s wire on voting procedure, it may be helpful for you to have before you the exact text of the formula which is now being studied by the three governments as a possible solution.

You will note the size of the majority vote is left blank. The Russians want 51 percent and the British want two-thirds.

The result of adopting this procedure would be that consideration and recommendations with regard to pacific settlement of disputes referred to in numbered paragraph three above would be taken without the vote of the party to the dispute even if that party happens to be a permanent member of the council and that consideration and decisions as to enforcement action of any kind would require the unanimous consent of all the permanent members of the council, whether or not one of them is involved.

In view of the fact that this, if accepted, would represent a substantial concession to the Soviet point of view, we feel that we would be justified in trying to obtain their consent to the two-thirds majority vote.

Could we have your views as soon as convenient, both as regards the formula in the text and the size of majority vote?

E S

Roosevelt-Morgenthau conversation, about 6:00 p.m.

Present
President Roosevelt
Secretary of the Treasury Morgenthau

Morgenthau’s diary entry reads as follows:

…I got in about six o’clock and stayed until after seven-thirty… He was completely relaxed, and the conversation was entirely on the week’s work.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Late in the afternoon in my discussion with the President, to my surprise he told me that Leahy had been favorable to my plan. The President said that he had withheld bringing up this question of where our Armies should go because he wanted to get Churchill in a good humor and he wanted everything else settled.

… I asked him what he meant about the suggestion of having the United Nations meet the end of October, and he said that he felt it had taken much too long to bring up the League of Nations after World War I, and he wanted to do this in October. So I said, “Well, it makes good window dressing for the campaign,” and he said, “Yes.” His idea is to have it about the 27th of October and run through and after election.

During my conversation with the President – I think it was in the morning – I said, “Look, Mr. President, now that we have this Ruhr and Saar stuff straightened out, the thing should be presented to Stalin, and I think if Stalin knew how we felt you would find he would act much better.” The President said, “Well, I will have Harriman come back and explain it to him, and let him go back and sell it to Stalin.” “Listen,” I said, “Harriman can’t do this. You ought to send me.” I said, “I get along very well with the Russians, and you could check with Stalin as to whether I do or whether I don’t.” The President said, “Oh, I have far too important things for you to do around Washington. I can’t spare you for a thing like this.” I said, “Well, it would only be a matter of 10 days.” He thought a minute and said, “Well, it might take two weeks,” and he seemed to like the idea…

The other amazing thing that happened was he turned to me, when Grace Tully brought in a telegram in the afternoon addressed to her asking her to try to find out what happened on the French Lend-Lease, and said, “You let Harry know that we are not going to do it,” …

Morgenthau-Cherwell meeting, 7:30 p.m.

Present
United States United Kingdom
Secretary of the Treasury Morgenthau Lord Cherwell

Morgenthau and Cherwell discussed the words “or sold for profit” which had been inserted in the record of the Roosevelt-Churchill discussion of lend-lease on September 14.