America at war! (1941–) – Part 3

americavotes1944

Editorial: More of same

Them-what-has-gits seems to be the rule in the primaries. Fourth-term advocates won in Florida and Alabama, while in South Dakota the Dewey supporters beat the Stassen boys. Of course, the leadership of Mr. Dewey and Mr. Roosevelt is such – despite the fact that neither is an avowed candidate – that this week’s primaries could not have made much difference.

In the case of Mr. Dewey, the South Dakota Republican primary indicates the bandwagon is rolling so fast that a first ballot nomination is probable and that even most of the usual favorite-son ritual may be dispensed with.

The weak Stop-Roosevelt movement within the Democratic Party had its best chance in Florida and Alabama. Senators Pepper and Hill are New Deal symbols and made their primary campaigns as such. In addition to the anti-bureaucracy cry, the opposition raised the race issue in a particularly dirty way. But not even the usually-surefire “white supremacy” appeal was strong enough to rout the administration forces.

Most of the Democratic politicians who dislike the President think he has made it impossible to build up any other candidate at this late date – that he is their best bet in November. But he may be their best vote-getter and still be not good enough.

Nurse acquitted by court-martial

High earnings charges held misleading

Profits debate laid to wage demands

More output, less post-war talk is urged

Frazer: ‘Big shots’ hamper war effort

British seize Burma hills on vital road

Activity in India comparatively quiet

War contracts bill approved

Measure proposes settlement office

Goodbye to Italy –
Ernie Pyle in England ready for the invasion

Ernie Pyle has been in England for some days, ready for his next – and biggest – job of war reporting.

In today’s column, he bids farewell to the boys in Italy. He writes:

Few of us can ever conjure up any truly fond memories of the Italian campaign. The enemy has been hard, and so have the elements. A few men have borne a burden they felt should have been shared by many more.

There is little solace for those who have suffered, and none at all for those who have died.

Ernie will cable his dispatches from England for the present – and then watch for Pyle when the invasion hour strikes.

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

Naples, Italy –
Again the time has come for me to travel a long way. When you read this, I should be in England. (EDITOR’S NOTE: He is.)

Some people laugh and say, “Well, that’s the tipoff, when you leave for England, the invasion must be about ready.”

That, I assume, is a jibe at me for having dinner with generals and supposedly getting the inside dope.

They flatter me, for I don’t know a bit more about the invasion than you do. I’ve intended going to England all along, and the only reason I held off till now was to wait for warm weather up there. These old bones ain’t what they used to be – they never were, as far as I can remember – and spending a winter in sunny Italy (ha!) hasn’t helped them.

At any rate, I do hate to leave now that the time has come. I’ve been in this war theater so long that I think of myself as a part of it. I’m not in the Army, but I feel sort of like a deserter at leaving.

There is some exhilaration here and some fun, along with the misery and sadness; but on the whole it has been bitter. Few of us can ever conjure up any truly fond memories of the Italian campaign.

The enemy has been hard, and so have the elements. Men have had to stay too long in the lines. A few men have borne a burden they felt should have been shared by many more.

Little or no solace

There is little solace for those who have suffered, and none at all for those who have died, in trying to rationalize about why things in the past were as they were.

I look at it this way – if by having only a small army in Italy we have been able to build up more powerful forces in England, and if by sacrificing a few thousand lives here this winter we can save half a million lives in Europe this summer – if these things are true, then it was best as it was.

I’m not saying they are true. I’m only saying you’ve got to look at it that way or else you can’t bear to think of it at all. Personally, I think they are true.

Before going, I want to pay a kind of tribute to a little group pf people I’ve never mentioned before. They are the enlisted men of the various Army public-relations units who drive us correspondents around and feed us and look after us. They are in the Army and subject to ordinary discipline, yet they live and work with men who are free and undisciplined. It is hard for any man to adjust himself to such a paradoxical life. But our boys have done it, and retained both their capabilities and their dignity.

Can’t mention them all

I wish I could mention them all. The few I can mention will have to represent the whole crew of many dozens of them…

There are drivers such as Delmar Richardson of Fort Wayne, Indiana, and Paul Zimmer of Oakland, California, and Jerry Benane of Minneapolis. They take care of the bulk of the correspondents, and it is only a miracle none of them has been wounded. They remain courteous and willing, despite a pretty irritating sort of life.

Then there are such boys as Cpl. Thomas Castleman, of my own town of Albuquerque, who rides his motorcycle over unspeakable roads through punishing weather to carry our dispatches to some filing point.

And then there is Pvt. Don Jordan, probably the most remarkable of all the PRO men I know. Don is a New England blueblood from Welles, Missouri and Attleboro, Massachusetts. He is a Brown University man, a dealer in antiques, a writer. He talks with a Boston accent, speaks French, and is at home in conversations about art and literature.

And do you know what he does? He cooks. He not only cooks, but he cooks with a flash and an imagination that make eating at our place a privilege.

Works like a slave

And on top of that, he runs the place as bookkeeper, house mother, translator and fulfiller of all requests, working like a slave with an unending good nature.

And there are such men as Sgts. Art Everett of Bay City, Michigan, and Harry Cowe of Seattle, who missed being officers by the unfair fates of war, and who go on doing work of officer responsibility with an admirable acceptance.

To these few men, and to all the others like them who have made life at war possible for us correspondents – my salute.

To all the rest of you in this Mediterranean army of ours – it has been wonderful in a grim, homesick, miserable sort of way to have been with you.

In two years of living with the Army there has not been one single instance from private to general when you have not been good to me. I want to thank you for that.

I’ve hated the whole damn business just as much as you do who have suffered more. I often wonder why I’m here at all, since I don’t have to be, but I’ve found no answer anywhere short of insanity, so I’ve quit thinking about it. But I’m glad to have been here.

So, this is farewell, I guess, for me. I’ll probably spend the rest of the war in England and upper Europe. And then – maybe I’ll see you in India.

Until then, goodbye, good luck and – as the Scottish say – God bless.

Pegler: Gen. de Gaulle

By Westbrook Pegler

Maj. de Seversky: Unification

By Maj. Alexander P. de Seversky

Congressmen ask pledge to Poland

Atlantic Charter called imperiled

Support for OPA revisions in rent control gaining

Censors’ shears snip big toll from export films

By Erskine Johnson

Bob Hope’s wife looks to day when comedian can unpack bags and stay

By Jean Irving, United Press staff writer

Fans fussy about film of Ernie Pyle

Fitzsimmons gets credit –
Phils’ showing big surprise of baseball

Alcoa suit hinges on Weaver bill

By Robert Taylor, Press Washington correspondent

Seeing into future –
Network television here ‘contingent of war’

Transcontinental cables planned
By Si Steinhauser

MP does what Nazis can’t: He stops ‘Ike’ Eisenhower

Pvt. Lynch chases general’s car for miles before bringing hurrying chief to halt
By W. C. Heinz, North American Newspaper Alliance

2 Yanks buried in Switzerland

Bodies found in lake after Fortress crash
By Paul Ghali

Völkischer Beobachter (May 5, 1944)

‚Eine kleine Insel‘

Sozialpolitische Enthüllungen in London und Neuyork
Von Werner Scheunemann

Roosevelt und Orelmanski Inc.

Paulette in Rizinus

Lissabon, 4. Mai –
Die dritte Exfrau des US-Filmjuden Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, ist von einer Reise nach den Lagern des nordamerikanischen Heeres in Burma, Indien und China zurückgekehrt.

Die US-Soldaten nannten sie „Käsekuchen“ oder andere ähnlich klingende „Kosenamen.“ Paillette weinte, während sie beschrieb, wie die nordamerikanischen Soldaten ihr Haar gerochen und sie auf die Wangen geküßt hätten. An vielen Orten sei sie die erste Nordamerikanerin gewesen, die die Soldaten seit endloser Zeit gesehen hätten.

Um der Moral der Soldaten zu helfen, „versuchte ich immer, so gut wie möglich auszusehen,“ sagte Paulette. „Ich trug immer Shorts und steckte mir Blumen ins Haar. Bisweilen zog ich mich besonders haben. Selbst wenn es kalt war, legte ich die wollene Unterwäsche ab und trug seidene.“ Paulette führte dann aus, daß sie sich mit übriggebliebenem Tee gewaschen und ihre Haut mit Rizinusöl eingefettet hätte. Die Zähne habe sie mit Grapefruitsaft geputzt. Viele Nächte habe sie in Schlafdecken und primitiven Zelten zugebracht. Sie gab „bescheiden" zu, daß sowohl Generale als auch einfache Soldaten ihren Besuch geschätzt hätten.

Wir sind überzeugt, daß der Anblick der Hollywood-Venus in Reizwäsche den US-Soldaten selbst bei kaltem Wetter das Blut so in Wallung gebracht hat, daß sie vor Erregung nicht nur den Kaugummi zu beißen vergaßen, sondern auch mit neuer Kraft und Zuversicht in den Kampf ziehen werden. Denn welcher US-Soldat gäbe nicht gern sein Leben hin für eine Sache, für die sich selbst ein drittes Charlie-Chaplin-Exeheweib so haltlos einsetzt?

U.S. Navy Department (May 5, 1944)

CINCPAC Press Release No. 387

For Immediate Release
May 5, 1944

Paramushiru in the Kuril Islands was bombed by Ventura search planes of Fleet Air Wing Four on the night of May 3‑4 (West Longitude Date). Explosions were caused and large fires started. Meager anti-aircraft fire was encountered. All of our planes returned.

Nauru Island was bombed by Ventura search planes of Fleet Air Wing Two on May 3. Barracks and runways were hit. Anti-aircraft fire was intense.

Ponape Island was bombed by 7th Army Air Force Mitchell bombers on May 2. Runways at two airfields were hit. Anti-aircraft fire was light.

Remaining enemy positions in the Marshall Islands were attacked on May 3 by Liberator and Mitchell bombers of the 7th Army Air Force, Dauntless dive bombers and Corsair fighters of the 4th Marine Aircraft Wing, Ventura search planes of Fleet Air Wing Two, and Navy Hellcat fighters. Hits were obtained in a magazine area and on gun positions.