America at war! (1941–) – Part 3

U.S. Navy Department (November 19, 1943)

The Tenth Fleet

When deliveries of ships and aircraft reached sufficient proportions to warrant such a move, about six months ago, the Tenth Fleet was organized to exercise unity of control over the U.S. Navy’s war against the U-boat in the Atlantic.

In addition to his other duties, Adm. Ernest J. King, USN, Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Fleet and Chief of Naval Operations, retained the immediate direction of anti-submarine operations and is the Commander, Tenth Fleet.

RAdm. Francis S. Low, USN, Assistant Chief of Staff (Anti-Submarine), U.S. Fleet, is Chief of Staff, Tenth Fleet.

The Tenth Fleet was assigned the following tasks:

1. Destruction of U-boats.
  2. Protection of Allied shipping in the Sea Frontiers concerned.
  3. Support of other Anti-Submarine Forces operating in the Atlantic Areas.
  4. Control of convoys and shipping that are U.S. responsibilities.
  5. Correlation of U.S. anti-submarine research and personnel instruction.

To accomplish its assigned mission, the Tenth Fleet was organized into four principal divisions: Operations; Anti-Submarine Measures (materiel, training, analysis and statistics and operational research); Convoy and Routing; and a Scientific Counsel (composed of civilian scientists).

Through this organization Tenth Fleet Headquarters makes available the latest information regarding anti-submarine developments and intelligence and training and operating procedures to Adm. Royal E. Ingersoll, USN, Commander-in-Chief, Atlantic Fleet, and the several other Fleet and Sea Frontier Commanders who direct the actual operations in that part of the Atlantic Ocean under U.S. strategic control.

CINCPAC Press Release No. 171

Carrier aircraft raided Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, Gilbert Islands, on November 18 (all dates herein West Longitude), starting large oil fires.

The following raids were made against enemy installations in the Marshall and Gilbert Islands by Liberators of the Army’s 7th Air Force:

1. Before dawn on November 17, barracks, runways and oil dumps on Mille were bombed. No enemy planes were encountered. No damage was suffered by our planes or personnel from intense anti-aircraft fire.

2. At sunset on November 17, bombs were dropped on Maloelap. Two of our planes were damaged by intercepting Zeros. There were no personnel casualties. One Zero was shot down, one was probably shot down and several were damaged.

3. At noon on November 18, raids were made against the Mille and Tarawa installations. There was no enemy air interception, although five Zeros were sighted over Tarawa.

CINCPAC Press Release No. 172

Enemy installations on Nauru Island were heavily hit by carrier aircraft on November 18, West longitude date.

Our planes dropped 90 tons of bombs in the airdrome and shop areas, starting fires and destroying several aircraft on the ground. One small ship vas set afire. Of the seven Zeros which appeared during later stages of the attack, two were shot down. Accurate anti-aircraft fire was encountered. All four planes returned. One pilot was wounded.

1 Like

The Pittsburgh Press (November 19, 1943)

FORTRESSES RIP WESTERN GERMANY
1,000 RAF bombers smash Berlin and Rhineland City

350 2-ton blockbusters devastate Nazi capital; 32 planes lost
By William B. Dickinson, United Press staff writer

1 Like

Greece raided by Fortresses

Ground activity in Italy still bogged down
By Harrison Salisbury, United Press staff writer

Back from the ‘dead’ –
Yank warships bombard Buka in Solomons

By Brydon C. Taves, United Press staff writer

Congress told –
Subsidy plan may compel wage raises

President to shift blame to plan’s opponents, backers warn

Confusion blamed –
Owners shun mine losses

Won’t pay for uncertainty, Vinson is told

I DARE SAY —
Making friends and influencing people

By Florence Fisher Parry

Signed standard clause, Rita says of divorce suit

Former husband’s alimony litigation settled in Los Angeles, her attorney asserts

Allied drives pinning down 750,000 Nazis

10 of 50 divisions held in Mediterranean kept busy by Italian push
By Reynolds Packard, United Press staff writer

In Washington –
New spending cuts sought

Maritime Commission, shipping agency probe urged after Army slashes its own cost estimates

Pay tax boost again opposed by Vandenberg

Senator will act to hold Social Security at 1% level

War letdown called danger by Morgenthau

Secretary is convinced Nazis encourage optimism

Lehman group asked to build for education

Chinese win support of U.S., Britain for school aid

U.S. completes its evidence in racket case

Defense obtains recess so it can prepare cross-examination

La Guardia named as buyer of black-market oranges

Japs extended to fight to end to keep Burma

Enemy must hold sector to safeguard her communications
By A. T. Steele

Air authorities report –
Stalin finally convinced of value of Allied raids

As result, Anglo-American offensive over Germany will be pushed with increased vigor
By William B. Ziff, author of The Coming Battle of Germany

Rail bombings cut off vital Nazi supplies

Old iron horse still has a major role in fighting wars
By Col. Frederick Palmer, North American Newspaper Alliance

Italian student joins paratroopers with 5th Army

He wants revenge for Nazi destruction of Naples University

Poll: Half in favor of graduated sales tax plan

No clear-cut public stand on issue in Congress is disclosed
By George Gallup, Director, American Institute of Public Opinion

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

In a short series of columns, Ernie Pyle is describing his experiences on the home front, before taking up soon another assignment to the battlefronts.

Albuquerque, New Mexico –
When I get back to the front, nobody less than a brigadier general had better try to high-hat me. Not that anybody ever did, but I’m just issuing a warning.

For I am a colonel myself. Not just a colonel once; not just a colonel twice; but three times a colonel. Yep – a New Mexico colonel. Aide-de-camp on the staff of the Governor.

Governor Clyde Tingley started it, several years ago. Then along came Governor Johnny Miles, and he kept up the tradition by making me a colonel again. And now the newest Governor – Jack Dempsey – seeing no way out, has had to follow suit.

Personally, I like the idea. Maybe I wouldn’t like it if I weren’t a colonel, but since I am a colonel, I like it. You get special license plates saying “Staff Officer,” and the State Police leave you pretty much alone unless you kill somebody, and furthermore, the Governor takes you to lunch.

I was just getting onto the hang of how to use our ration points when my vacation was over, and now I have to leave. Rationing doesn’t seem to me so bad, once you get onto it.

Tea strainers and death

There are lots of little things you can’t buy, but honestly, I don’t see that anybody is in much pain from it, for example, it’s impossible to buy any kind of tea strainer in Albuquerque except a plastic one which soon goes to pieces. But then did you ever hear of anybody dying for lack of a tea strainer?

Our groceryman says that the point system, instead of running him out of business as he feared, has actually doubled his fruit and vegetable business.

The reason is that people buy fresh stuff all month and eat or can it, and then at the last of the coupon period, in order not to let coupons go unused, they come in and buy just as much canned stuff as they used to.

Which would seem to indicate that the theory behind rationing has slipped somewhere along the line.

One of the greatest pleasures of my vacation was to have a real auto again. After a year of jeep and truck riding, it was like a suburb of Heaven to get into our Pontiac convertible. I didn’t know whether it was going half the time or not, because you couldn’t hear the engine. And bumps, why, you’d think the country around Albuquerque was all made of velvet.

The car has to go back into storage, for unfortunately That Girl, being poetic rather than mechanical-minded, has never learned to drive. It’s a shame too, because now she either has to strike out across the mesa on foot, like a prospector, or else spend two-thirds of her not-too-lavish wages on taxicabs.

That Girl doesn’t like it

She doesn’t like this business of keeping the home fires burning while everybody else is away. But who does?

It is the ones who stay, like her, that really take the rap. For those behind life is lonely, routine, sometimes seemingly frustrated. But for us who go, new things always appear to be endured, there is excitement, and change, and misery to challenge you. There is so little time for mooning. I am glad that I can go instead of stay – if anybody has to go.

Our little house is still a gem. Now it has some Algerian rugs on the floor, Moroccan hassocks before the fireplace, Congo ivory on the mantle.

We can still see 80 miles from our front window, and the sunsets are still spellbinding. Quail still peck in our front yard. Roaming neighborhood dogs come and visit us. So do children. The postman always has something peasant to say.

We have two cups of hot tea very early in the morning, and we are sitting here drinking it when the first dawn comes over the Sandias. The sun soon warms the desert, and the day grows lazy for us who are home on furlough. Life seems too good here within these few square feet ever to bear going away.

Clapper: Hull’s day

By Raymond Clapper

Editorial: Secretary Hull and Congress