America at war! (1941– ) (Part 1)

President Roosevelt’s broadcast on the 9th anniversary of the National Farm Program
March 9, 1942, 9:55 p.m. EWT

Audio of the speech:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt (D-NY)

My fellow Americans:

I want to say a word tonight to the farm families of America and also to the families that consume farm products of every kind. That means everybody – everywhere. No one can think back over the last nine years without coming to the conclusion that the most significant single fact in recent American history is the ability of the American people to face a tough situation and to take orderly and united action in their own behalf and in behalf of the things in which they believe.

There has been a considerable amount of discussion lately about the alleged complacency of the American people. Newspaper editors and commentators have been telling us that the American people are complacent – that they are apathetic.

I think I know the American people pretty well. A lot of them write to me. A lot of them send me messages of one sort or another. They talk to me pretty frankly. If there is one single thing of which I am certain, it is that the American people are not now, and have not been, complacent. On the contrary, they are keenly aware of the situation in which they find themselves, and they are wholeheartedly and entirely committed to action. Now, as a decade ago, they are facing up to the job they have to do, and they propose to see to it that the job is done.

Americans are preparing with all possible speed to take their places on the actual battlefronts, and some are there now. Workers in the mills and mines are laboring long hours, under great pressure, to turn out the weapons and equipment without which the war cannot be won. Men and women in thousands of communities are giving their time and energy in the work of civilian defense. And out in the country, farmers are straining every effort to produce the food which, like the tanks and planes, is absolutely indispensable to victory.

The members of each of these various groups know the extent to which they themselves are responding. But they do not always know what is being done by the others. And that gives an opportunity to the enemy to get in some deadly blows. That gives an opportunity to the enemy to spread malicious words. Labor, says the evil whisper, is sabotaging the war program with strikes and slowdowns and demands for higher wages. Business, it says, is gouging the country with unconscionable profits. And the farmer, according to this treacherous voice, is using the war to grab all he can.

Now it happens that, as a result of the war program, the incomes of all three groups on the average are substantially increased. Of course there are instances where a few businessmen or a few workers, or a few farmers, are demanding and getting more than they ought. But, in general, the increase to the different groups has been kept fairly well in balance, and there has been only a moderate rise in the cost of living in city and country up to now.

It seems to me that we ought to feel proud of the undoubted fact that we are getting cooperation and a reasonably fair balance among 90% of our population and that if less than 10% of the population is chiseling, we still have a pretty good average national record.

But if all prices keep on going up, we shall have inflation of a very dangerous kind – we shall have such a steep rise in prices and the cost of living that the entire nation will be hurt. That would greatly increase the cost of the war and the national debt, hamper the drive for victory, and inevitably plunge everyone – city workers and farmers alike – into ruinous deflation later on.

I wish someone would invent a better word than “inflation.” What we really mean is that even though we may not realize it at the moment, it is not a good thing for the country to upset all the old standards if the cost of living goes up through the roof and wages go up through the roof, and farm prices go up through the roof. Actually, in such a case, we are no better off than we were before as individuals or heads of families and it comes close to being true that that which goes up has to come down.

This fight against inflation is not fought with bullets or with bombs, but it is equally vital. It calls for cooperation and restraint and sacrifice on the part of every group. It calls for mutual good will and a willingness to believe in the other fellow’s good faith. It calls for unflagging vigilance and effective action by the government to prevent profiteering and unfair returns, alike for services and for goods.

So, on this ninth anniversary of the founding of the National Farm Program, we can all rededicate ourselves to the spirit with which this common effort by the farmers came to birth. Never before in our history has there been as much need for unstinting service to the country. Hard, trying, difficult days are ahead. How hard and how bitter they will be depends on how well we can keep our eyes, our thoughts, and our efforts directed toward the only thing that matters now for every one of us in the United Nations – winning the war.

U.S. War Department (March 10, 1942)

Army Communiqué No. 141

Philippine theater.
There was no ground or air activity in Bataan.

A light Japanese cruiser appeared off the port of Cebu and fired several shells into the city. Only slight damage was inflicted.

There is nothing to report from other areas.

The Pittsburgh Press (March 10, 1942)

Curb on price boosts urged by Roosevelt

Continued increase would end in dangerous inflation, he says

Pork price ceiling fixed by Henderson

Douglas may quit films for duration

Hollywood, March 10 (UP) –
Film star Melvyn Douglas plans to retire from pictures for the duration and devote full time to his civilian defense position.

Douglas, whose appointment to the post drew Congressional criticism, told friends he would return to Washington as soon as he completes a current picture at Columbia Pictures Studio.

He said:

I wouldn’t have returned to Hollywood at all if I hadn’t been under contract for the picture.

Bowler gets OCD job – Landis is asked why

Name of ‘coordinator’ is missing from list; Byrd seeks facts
By Fred W. Perkins, Press Washington correspondent

Canadian Armored Corps, other units, reach Britain

London, March 10 (UP) –
Canadian Army reinforcements have arrived in Britain, it was disclosed officially today.

Armored corps were among the newly arrived Canadian units, which included infantry, ordnance, engineering, artillery, forestry corps, and medical corps.

Congress fiddles –
Vital ‘honky-tonk’ issue holds interest of Senate

Chamber of Commerce urges sales tax, hits income boost

Asks levy of 2-5% to raise part of $7 billion

Henry McLemore’s viewpoint –
Governors who protested moving California’s Japs to their states get ‘man of year’ vote

By Henry McLemore

Fullscreen capture 3162021 121420 PM.bmp

When the time comes to vote for the “Man of the Year,” I’m going to have to cast nine ballots.

That’s how many candidates I have. Each is a governor. I don’t know their names, but they are the governors who protested having Jap aliens “dumped,” as they put it, in their states.

Those protests make them standout citizens in my book. That’s patriotism – the real stuff. That’s cooperation in time of danger – right up to the hilt. That’s protection of State’s Rights – 100% – 200%.

You can bet all you want that the governors did not speak for the people they represent.

Those protests were the voices from the backrooms in the executive mansion where the cute work, the sly political work goes on.

That’s a grandstand play for votes, but it is going to backfire. Americans aren’t going to stand for such an attitude for governors of states which have the room to take care of the thousands of Japs who swarm all over the most important American theater of war and war production.

Trouble stirrer-upper

Naturally, no state would beg for the Japs. They aren’t going to improve any place they are removed to. But, with this country’s back to the wall, the governors must be willing to pitch in and help.

When I was on the Coast and whacked the Japanese over the head, I’ll bet I had hundreds of letters saying that I was a scoundrel of the first water; that I was an inciter of hatred, a needless stirrer-up of trouble.

None of these letters was from California. People there wrote in by the thousands to say I was telling the truth. They have known all along what the Japs were doing, and have been doing, for 20 years.

Excuse, please! Accidental

Now, thanks to District Attorney Dockweiler of Los Angeles, everybody knows what the sawed-off little cusses of Nippon have been up to the District Attorney, in case you missed the story, had a map made showing Jap landholding in and about the Los Angeles area. The little bums are everywhere. They own land near every railway line in Los Angeles County, the Douglas, Lockheed and Vultee aircraft factories, the major reservoir in that district, and practically all of the oil wells and refineries.

Accidental, of course. Either that or sacrifice on the part of the jaundice-colored little fellows. Who knows but what they bought the less fertile land near strategic war centers in order that Americans might have the richer soil that lay elsewhere?

They’re going to keep 'em

The thing to do with these almond-eyed brethren and sistren is to herd 'em up and lead them, none too gently, to inland states where the acreage is so plentiful that if they wander off, mischief bent, they are likely to wind up decorating the landscape, along with the skulls of lost cattle.

But apparently this isn’t going to be done. The latest word from the Pacific Coast Alien Control Coordinator said that Hirohito’s henchmen would be kept inside California. Why, I don’t know.

Could it be because the nine governors have protested against marring the Chamber of Commerce beauty of their states by moving in a few thousand Japs? Probably.

That’s why I want nine ballots when the time comes to choose the “Man of the Year.”

Such a love of country must not go unrewarded, even if a man has to stuff the ballot box.

McNutt likely ‘heir’ to dance division of OCD

Democratic Leader Kelly goes with ‘hot potato’ as muscle builder

Instructions free –
Farm handouts issued despite war economy

42 publications appear in two months; raspberry fruitworm 'an item’

Independence plan for India due at once

Churchill may announce dominion status in Commons tomorrow
By Helen Kirkpatrick

Extension of dry zones at Washington sought

U.S. gets Italian liner

Rio de Janeiro, March 10 –
Brazil is turning over the 23,861-ton Italian luxury liner Conte Grande to the United States, it was revealed today. The disclosure was made when United States officers arrived by plane to take over command of the vessel.

U.S. subs blast 6 Jap vessels

Destroyer, tanker sunk; carrier, 3 cruisers hit

Air-minded men in top Navy, Army posts

Zero airplane best fighter for Japanese

Highly maneuverable craft carries two 20-caliber cannon

Brazil aroused by new sinking

Italian submarine blamed in Atlantic attack

Enemy broadcast –
100,000 surrender on Java, Japs say

Dispatches from enemy countries are based in broadcasts over controlled radio stations which frequently contain false propaganda. Bear this in mind.

Tanker sunk off Cuba

Havana, March 10 –
A tanker, believed to be the 7,932-ton Hanseat, chartered by the Standard Oil Co. was torpedoed off the Cape Maisí, at the eastern end of Cuba, yesterday.

37 or 39 members of the crew landed at Baracoa, on the north coast of Oriente Province, and it was understood some of them had been wounded by submarine shellfire. They were rescued by a Cuban schooner.