America at war! (1941-1945) -- Part 6

U.S. State Department (August 25, 1945)

711.94114A/82545: Telegram

The Minister in Switzerland to the Secretary of State

Bern, August 25, 1945 — 2 p.m.
[Received 5:10 p.m.]

Legation’s 3349, June 28; 3750, August 1. Foreign Office note August 24 states, according telegram August 17 from Gorgé, despite repeated efforts only able visit two POW camps this year. Adds principal reason without doubt reluctance Japanese authorities permit inspectors travel bombed regions.

However POW Bureau Japanese Foreign Office has sent Legation numerous lists POWs and deceased. During July Legation received 39 lists bearing total 3776 names.

HARRISON

740.00119 PW/8-2545: Telegram

The Ambassador in the Soviet Union to the Secretary of State

Moscow, August 25, 1945 — midnight
[Received August 25 — 9:30 p.m.]

Received letter from Vyshinski this evening asking me to transmit to you from Molotov reply along the following lines to message contained in your 1896 [1898], Aug. 23, 7 p.m.

In as much as the proposed declaration concerns General Order No. 1, I would like, before answering the substance of the question raised in your letter, to know whether there has been inserted in General Order No. 1 the amendment to the effect that the Japanese forces on the Kurile Islands should surrender to the Soviet Forces, as was communicated by Generalissimo Stalin in his message of August 16 to President Truman.

In order to save time I have addressed a letter this evening to Vyshinski asking him to invite Molotov’s attention to the fact that on Aug. 19 General Deane transmitted to General Antonov the amended text of General Order No. 1 containing this specific provision. I inquired whether I might assume that this answered Molotov’s question.

However, as the question was addressed by Molotov to you, I suggest that you instruct me to confirm General Deane’s communication in case I find Molotov wishes a reply from you.

HARRIMAN

740.00119 PW/8-2545

The Australian Minister to the Secretary of State

Washington, 25 August 1945
No. 401/45

Dear Mr. Secretary: Further to my letter of the 14th August, 1945, enclosing certain comments of the Australian Government on the Draft Act of Surrender of Japan, the Australian Minister for External Affairs has asked me to add that the Australian Government is most anxious that no opportunity should be missed to secure immediately from the Japanese, not only complete lists of Australian and other Allied prisoners of war and civilian internees, but also full records and evidence of their treatment during custody. It is felt that any evidence of atrocities or suspected violations of International Conventions concerning prisoners of war or internees, as well as breaches of rules of warfare against service personnel generally, should be made available to National Offices of the United Nations War Crimes Commission. The Australian Government has been advised that major responsibility for detection and apprehension of suspected war criminals must fall upon Allied Military and Control Authorities. Australia feels that every effort should be made in the initial post-surrender period to apprehend and intern all suspected war criminals on the basis of information secured. It seems likely that important evidence can be obtained as the result of access to Japanese official records indicating the Japanese attitude towards protests made by Allied Governments during the war concerning Japanese treatment of prisoners of war or concerning other wartime atrocities. The Australian Government made several such protests.

Dr. Evatt suggests that these views be brought to the notice of the appropriate representative of the Supreme Commander and of the Judge Advocate General at General Headquarters. General Sir Thomas Blarney, the chief Australian representative at the surrender ceremonies, has been advised of the above-mentioned views to ensure that these objectives are followed so far as Australian Forces are concerned.

At the request of Dr. Evatt, I also enclose herewith the full text of a press statement issued by him on August 24th, 1945.

Yours sincerely,
F. W. EGGLESTON

Neues Österreich (August 26, 1945)

Taifune verzögern Landung

New York, 25. August – General MacArthur gab heute bekannt, dass die schweren Taifune um Japan die alliierten Landungen in Japan um 48 Stunden verzögern werden. Man nimmt an, dass die alliierten Okkupationstruppen am Dienstag in der Nähe von Tokio landen werden, und dass die großangelegten Luftlandungen auf Donnerstag verschoben werden. Wegen dieser Verzögerung werden die Übergabedokumente erst am 2. September formell unterzeichnet werden. Inzwischen bereiten amerikanische Land-, See- und Luftstreitkräfte die Landung vor.

Harakiri vor dem kaiserlichen Palast

New York, 25. August – Wie der japanische Sender mitteilt, wird vor dem kaiserlichen Palast in Tokio von zahlreichen Japanern Harakiri verübt.

Frankreich fordert Kontrolle des linken Rheinufers

New York, 25. August – General de Gaulle hielt in Washington eine Pressekonferenz ab, bei welcher Gelegenheit er erklärte, Frankreich habe nicht die Absicht, deutsches Gebiet zu annektieren. Frankreich habe lediglich den Wunsch, auf unbestimmte Zeit die Kontrolle über das linke Rheinufer auszuüben. Es wünsche jedoch eine Revision der Grenzen der ihm zugewiesenen Besatzungszonen. Frankreich werde bei der Zusammenkunft der Außenminister in London im September Vorschläge über eine internationale Kontrolle des Ruhrgebiets machen.

Zwischenlösung in der Leih- und Pachtfrage

L’Aube (August 26, 1945)

New-York attend De Gaulle

Ce matin, pèlerinage à la tombe de Roosevelt

Paris a célébré la Saint-Louis victorieuse de l’an dernier

Le « General Typhon » ordonne:
Le débarquement au Japon est retardé de 48 heures

Travail et technicité pour Byrnes et Bidault

De notre correspondent spécial Fernand Decoster

Apres l’abrogation de la loi Prêt-Bail –
Une mission britannique se rend a Washington

pour négocier un nouvel arrangement

U.S. State Department (August 26, 1945)

740.00119 PW/8-2645: Telegram

The Secretary of State to the Ambassador in the Soviet Union

Washington, August 26, 1945 — 1 p.m.

Your 3061, August 25, midnight. You are authorized to confirm the fact that General Order No. 1 has been amended to provide for surrender of Japanese forces in the Kuriles to be accepted by the Soviet Command.

BYRNES

The Evening Star (August 26, 1945)

Halsey’s fleet begins steaming into bay 30 miles from Tokyo

Troop landings delayed 48 hours due to typhoons

383 ships in occupation force

12 U.S. battleships and 17 carriers are included

U.S. plans to cut draft calls to 30,000 monthly

Decrease to depend on Japs’ acceptance of Yank occupation
By James Y. Newton

2 pilots forced down after end of fighting find Japs friendly

Attitude, however, is that of equals and not of defeated people*

Shanghai and Nanking reported entered by Nationalist troops