America at war! (1941-1945) -- Part 6

Victory Day plan recalls U.S. greeting to heroes of past wars

By Carter Brooke Jones

Lyttleton rebuked for ‘mischievous’ remark about U.S.

Lease-Lend account favors Belgium, official says

Fraternizing with Sudetens makes Czechs dislike Yanks

By Thomas R. Henry

Atomic bomb test on theater screens

Newsreel shots of the atomic bomb are now being shown in all downtown theaters. The film was photographed from a distance of six miles by the U.S. Army and shows the test bomb explosion in New Mexico. President Truman’s announcement of the surrender of Japan is also included in the newsreel as well as V-J Day celebrations through the nation.

Movies to honor typists

By Harold Heffernan

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

HOLLYWOOD – Well, I see that Mr. Henry Kaiser who used to build almost as many ships a day as Japan lost in a day, is going to build automobiles soon. He plans to turn out a complete car for about $500 and send it through the mail. It’s really something new in the mail order business and I’ll bet Mr. Sears and Mr. Roebuck are still glaring at each other for not thinking of it first.

I’ll tell you one thing, though. If all these cars are coming by mail. I’d suggest that Mr. Kaiser better design a new type of feet for the mailmen who deliver them. As it stands now, Mr. McGuiness, our postman, is already so worn out he barely has time to read over the postcards in his mailbag anymore.

The Syonan Shimbun (August 23, 1945)

Blackout lifted throughout Nippon

America takes hand in Bulgarian affairs

‘Brighter post-war living’ Imperial wish

Policy of new Prince Higashikuni government outlined

Christians worried over atomic bomb

Atomic bomb casualties top 480,000

Editorial: Goodwill affairs

MacArthur’s new post

A San Francisco broadcast received here today by the Domei News Agency reported that General Douglas MacArthur, Commander-in-Chief of Allied Forces in the Pacific, has been appointed American Assistant Secretary of State by President Harry Truman.

Construction of new Nippon uppermost in minds of people

Shigemitsu expresses firm confidence

Scientific education to be stepped-up in Nippon

New Nippon Premier addresses nation

Brief sketches of new Japanese Cabinet ministers

Salzburger Nachrichten (August 23, 1945)

Plan zur Besetzung Japans

50.000 alliierte Soldaten in japanischer Kriegsgefangenschaft gestorben

Großbritanniens Note an Bulgarien

Österreich soll keine Reparationen zahlen