9/11 20th anniversary poll

Fair enough.

I know the concept is to avoid some kind of bad coverage, but over the hours between the first impact and the last, all of the coverage should be the same thing, as everything was so unknown. We were all staring at the same thing wondering what was going on.

IMHO, it would not be until it was identified as a terrorist attack where the media biases would really take over. So that would depend on how long you cover it. In all honesty, you should be covering the headlines of all sources, if you can.

But thanks for explaining why you are doing it.

1 Like

It’s a 24-hour stream, covering the entire day.

As for biases, I watched ABC and CBC on that fateful day. The CBC was less biased (still biased but less so) but ABC had Peter Jennings.

Two weeks to go before the polls closes!

P.S. Unfortunately, BBC is now out of the poll, because I couldn’t get the proper videos to stream (remember, it’s one full day).

3 Likes

I was hoping you’d be able to get the BBC stream, as it was the one I don’t recall seeing anything from on the day. I was in the office with no live TV feeds, so we were bouncing from news site to news site trying to get more information. I’m not sure the CBC feed would add much other than a bit more coverage on the diversion of so many trans-Atlantic flights to Gander from their original destinations. Beyond that, I’m agnostic as all the US networks of the day seemed very similar from my perspective.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I couldn’t download the hours-long videos for this 24-hour stream for the BBC. That’s why it’s now out of the poll.

And the Canadian reactions. And what happened near my home at the border. It’s actually quite the interesting coverage. About as good as ABC’s, I dare say.

You’d be surprised. Choosing between CBC and ABC was a surprisingly difficult choice for me to vote on. And everyone seems to be somewhat familiar with CNN’s coverage. CBS and NBC? Not much, especially with NBC. FOX covered the Pentagon attack more extensively than other major networks did.

2 Likes

@nicholasrusson_58993 You can also judge the differences from the pre-attack broadcasts:

1 Like

Even back then, I wasn’t much of a TV-watcher, so perhaps my opinion should carry little weight here. I have a few vivid memories of the second strike from one of the networks, and the collapse of the first tower from another, but the identities of the networks didn’t matter as much as the story unfolded (except for the couple of morons wondering aloud on national TV how two aircraft could possibly be so far off course as to “accidentally” strike the towers).

2 Likes

Or reporting Building 7’s collapse before its actual collapse. Oops.

I already knew it was a terrorist attack before the second plane hit (remember the clear skies that day? That was a giveaway for me).

2 Likes

Yes, I felt much the same way. A single plane strike on a tall building in broad daylight? Fantastically unlikely to be an accident. Two plane strikes on adjacent tall buildings? So obviously enemy action that anyone making a case otherwise must be assumed to be on the other side.

My childhood best friend (also a Canadian) was on a flight out of Boston that morning and was on the same path as the flight that didn’t strike its target. I didn’t hear from him for several days, as he was out of contact due to landing well away from his destination.

2 Likes

And regarding the attacks, the big question in my mind that day was who was responsible. My sister and I were in the middle of discussing that when we saw the second crash live.

That day, I thought Hezbollah was responsible, my sister said al-Qaeda. Guess who got it right…

3 Likes

As I drove home from work that evening – along remarkably quiet highways – I was afraid of what the US reaction to the attack would be. It wasn’t as bad as I feared, although the last 18 months have been more like what I worried about on the way home nearly 20 years ago.

3 Likes

Please go with a veteran’s streaming channel rather than a mainstream network.

2 Likes

@klkevelson1 I don’t have 24-hour videos of that, as much as I wish :frowning:

And I get to point out the biases of the coverage during the stream. And I want to show it in the same way as I do for my America at war! thread. See it as they did back then and we can talk about our experiences as well. Consider this a class of sorts.

P.S. It’s 2001, not 2021.

2 Likes

Mmm…On 10th September I received my ticket to go to San Francisco for a course plus I wanted to see the Thunderbirds. After the attacks there was a defiant big part of me which wanting to go anyway as effing terrorist shouldn’t control my life. Strange reaction maybe :thinking: but a lot of people took other risks like racing home.

2 Likes

1 week to go before the poll closes!

1 Like

1 day to go!

Vote for one network (ignore BBC).

1 Like

20 years ago tonight…

1 Like

For any GTA enthusiasts out there…

3 Likes

The poll has closed!

DISCLAIMER: Due to the unavailability of the BBC for streaming, as previously attested to, it’s out.

657px-CBC_Logo_1992-Present.svg

The 9/11/01 broadcast for tomorrow will be from the CBC.

Stream starts at 6:00 a.m. EDT. I’ll make sure to put forth a reminder at 5:30 a.m. EDT

I posted an alert for all for the stream…