What war should time ghost cover week by week after WW2 is done?

The Russain civil war. I think it’s as least as relevant today as the wars in Korea and Vietnam are but it’s less talked about in America and Europe

4 Likes

I think 24 million people died in the Russian Civil War too.

2 Likes

Here are the two main wars I was leaning towards at the time I made this forum, I was thinking they should do the American civil war week-by-week, and it then occurred to me that assuming they start covering the civil war in 2024 (as in that the conclusion of the second world war), it would take them through to 2028, which would nicely tie in with the 175th anniversary of the start of the Crimean war. This wouldn’t be perfect as the civil war ends in May, and the Crimean war starts in October, so there would be a bit of a time lag, but obviously by then it would be conceivable that the time ghost channel would be big enough to be able to stand on its own feet for a few months, so that might not be that big a deal. It does however seem that there is a clear preference for Korea as the next war. It would however be possible I guess for them to cover a few lesser known wars week-by-week on the time ghost channel as a stopgap before doing the Crimea stuff on the 175th anniversary after doing Korea I guess. the first balkan war would be a good one for that I think, though it started in October and ended in May so they could perhaps do the second balkan war as well, thus taking them to August and they could then carry themselves to October with some prelude to Crimea videos. What do you guys think of this? I realize this is quite in depth and that I am thinking ahead to 2028, I have had too much free time lately I’m afraid.

5 Likes

The great war is doing that one in depth aren’t they?

1 Like

Korea…maybe some type of “Cold War Era” - with two sections, part 1 covering the last days of 1945, the beginning of 1946, the division of Germany, and negotiations until Korean War, until the foundation of Israel. After this, part 2, bringing “Six Day War”,Afghanistan vs URSS, Vietnam and Malvinas (Falklands).

2 Likes

They were going to do a “cold war in Europe” thing, but Kings and Generals started a cold war channel that steals indy’s format, so that has caused them to put that plan on ice, as they know that people would watch videos from one or the other, so the views would be diluted.

3 Likes

Hello Indy,

I really enjoy your series. And I’m thinking that my suggestion is a beautiful one. It’s soon 190 years ago that Belgium became independent from the Netherlands. Is it a good idea to make a series about those days? Because - living in the Netherlands as a Belgian - I discover we have both a totally different view on those days. Thanks for discerning. I really look forward to your answer.

4 Likes

Just joined Timeghost so I’m seeing this for the first time. But I personally would recommend the Crimean war. It’s closest thing to a pan European war prior to both WORLD Wars.

2 Likes

counterpoint towards the Crimean war being the only pan European war prior to ww1.
you have the “thirty years war”, “The Napoleonic wars” and the “the seven years war”

the thirty years war involved every state in Europe minus Russia, the Napoleonic wars saw fighting from Iberia to Moscow and the seven years war saw every mayor power duking it out in not only Europe but also in north America, The carribean sea and India.

2 Likes

Yes, I think the 30-years war would actually be a very good one to cover on a year-by-year basis. Not only has it been a really complicated conflict in terms of who entered when and why and who was on which side at which time … and how many ‘sides’ there were to this conflict. But it was also a conflict that shaped much of the pre-Napoleonic economic-geography of Europe.

3 Likes

I would love to see what happened during the Cold War, probably quarter by quarter in some years and ny week omg other periods

5 Likes

I really REALLY want the era of 1945-49 covered, mostly eastern Europe and it’s crushing by the Soviets, what the allies could and could not have done and the Chinese Civil War.

But this is also because I think the most morally outraging thing the Allies did was allow the ethnic cleansings of eastern Europe which when remembered is about the Germans and most treating them with absolutely no sympathy, cause God forbid Germans can’t think they were legitimately wronged or that could cause another war, but there were cleansing of Poles from now western Belorussian and Ukraine, guerrilla movements and democide in the Ukraine and Baltics and some violence elsewhere not connected with the Greek Civil War.

But I’ll admit, I want to put the screws to the Western Allies. Cause World War II was more or less the good war, until Yalta IMO and this coddling of murderous dictators who malevolently brutalize everyone in their realm for profit and lulz, simply from American foreign policy expediency is more or less why America ‘hadn’t won a war’ since WW2.

I’m glad the Great War is covering post WWI, and I’d like to see the same from WW2 in real time. I’m not gonna say the American foreign policy establishment is the genesis of EVERY problem post 1919, but if we really want to learn from history we need to understand the blowback from misrule of Anglo-American hegemony.

*BTW not anti-American, I am an American, I’m not saying intervention was wrong, but intervention needs to be smarter and less high handed. Realpolitik IMO needs to be more as Bismark actually practiced it, and less like the popular conception of those who came after.

2 Likes
  • Crimean War

• French Revolution

• The Second American Civil War (…I’m just assuming that this current stuff is all basically going to end in a second civil war, starting in a few weeks to a few months time…)

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

1. too early.
  2. too pessimistic.
  3. (I really hope that I’m right here, but I’m not sure anymore) unrealistic.
1 Like

…Don’t get me wrong. I very much hope I will be proven completely wrong.

…But… It isn’t looking great…

I know it’s not looking great, I really do understand. I even confessed to the conservative War Elephant group on Discord that I had a nightmare in which the President was shot.

But remember, it’ll pass and life will go on after this is over. We had familiar scenes like these before (my Dad still remembers the turmoil of the late 1960s and even said of the recent riots and the lockdown that “If they’d let me, I’ll beat 'em up like the officers who beat the hippies in '67!”). All you have to do is to stop giving in to these cowards and lunatics hiding behind the label of “anti-fascism.” And stop giving cowards the power to declare what is hatred and how to radically change society. For example, these fools (it seems that the U.N. deleted this tweet):
https://twitter.com/UNGeneva/status/1274007783864627201

Ea6RAVpXgAA_zw6

My message to the U.N.: Wake, The. Fuck. Up. They’re not anti-fascists fighting against Nazis like my Grandpa. They’re, as my friends describe them, “anti-fascist domestic terrorists” who ironically act like fascists.

I tend to be more optimistic in times of trouble (though I’m angered and not into the naive “everything’s fine” schtick).

Regarding my friends, the riots have woken them up to the lunacy of the supposed “anti-fascists” and the hard left. The protests stopped being about George Floyd the moment they destroyed property and businesses of innocent people, called for the defunding and even abolishment of the police, toppled statues and vandalized memorials (and not all of them Confederate) and tried to destroy history and culture.

I’ll leave you with the words I have written when President Trump was impeached back in December, it applies to the current situation as well:

I’ll never vote for a Democrat in the next 50 years.

And, conservatives should be more open about their displeasure on the riots and not cowardly hide behind (though it’s understandable considering social media’s general hostility toward conservatives).

If only you were there for the Kosmi chat on Friday (the same day Gangs of New York was streamed), you would’ve known how angry I was and how I tried to be optimistic… just ask @grayknight1781

2 Likes

I really hope it gets resolved. And I definitely feel for you/all Americans… I look at it… And… The choices are Biden… Or Donald Trump… Just… Ugh… I yearn for the days when the candidates were at least mostly decent people… Like compare Trump to the late Senator McCain (WOW did he ever have class…), or Senator Romney… And… Yeah… Terrible choices!!

…So I’m hoping for the best. I did prick my ears up when Bret Weinstein, on Joe Rogan, suggested that Andrew Yang and Admiral McRaven run together… I.e. a centre-left and a centre-right… From outside the, well, swamp… Two people with some dignity and class… I thought that seemed like a good idea…!!! Personally, I’d also love it if General Mattis ran. :smiley:

…It’s a terrible situation all round, and I feel for you!

…Also here’s a parody I did of that UN tweet :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, how about no? I’d rather have Trump over “flip-floppin’” McCain and “Ol’ Spineless” Romney. You know what, I’ll invite you for the chat on Sunday, June 21, 3:30 p.m. EDT so that we can discuss more of this without making a mess on the forum. :slight_smile:

Join me here 3:30 p.m. EDT.

My First choice : American Civil War
Doing a week by week would not be too difficult given it was covered very well by the print media (Harper’s Weekly to name one.

Second Choice: Vietnam War
I remember watching the 10,000 a day war documentary and learned about the war. The week by week format would be great for getting indepth into the conflict.

Third Choice: Korean War
The Forgotten war, so a must

2 Likes

The expulsion of Germans from eastern Europe was a direct result of German aggression against those countries and the use of German minorities as collaborators. The fact that Germany committed the worst war in HISTORY AND COMMITTED THE MOST INTENSIVE INDUSTRIAL GENOCIDE IN HISTORY ALONE IS CAUSE TO GERMANY TO COMPLETELY BROKEN UP AND WIPED OFF THR MAP OF EUROPE PERMANENTLY

1 Like