Welcome to Out of the Foxholes - Questions category

Hello guys! Thank you so much for the brilliant work you’ve continued to pull off throughout the years
My question is:
In your between two wars episodes covering Italy and most dissections (documentaries, books etc) of Italy’s economic and military performance throughout 1930-1944, the Italian bureaucracy is often blamed for being bloated, convoluted, and incredibly inefficient. What precisely made Italy’s bureaucracy inefficient, and what are some examples of the way that it hurt the economy and the military?

3 Likes

Indy,

Did the Nazis consider giving independence to Non-Russian Soviet States and allying with them (Ukraine, Baltic States, etc…)? Or did they have the same disdain for them as they did with the Russians?

2 Likes

There were semi independent state of Lokot Autonomy established in 1941 with help of Wehrmacht. As well as Zuev Republic, but it was much smaller.

Hitler considered Cossacks aryans and respected them as great warriors, when Germans would come in to Don and Kuban they would permit Cossack meetings, the meetings would support Germans and together they would creat brigades who would fight against communists.

In Caucases hitler considered Georgians, Armenia’s, Azeri and other mountain tribes as aryans. Germans established many divisions from their groups.

In Urals and Siberia Turkistan Legion was created, serving in it were people from Idal-Ural, Kalmyks and others.

Would there be states for them or would they be puppet states we will never know. There might have been and might have not

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate the insight

2 Likes

Hi Guys! I was wondering what Vichy’s political reaction was to Syria getting invaded. How close did they come to declaring war and why didn’t they?

3 Likes

You might be interested in these news articles and State Department telegrams that I have compiled regarding the Syrian situation. It’s admittedly a long catalog but it’s worth the read. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

HI Indy, Spartacus, and Astrid.
I know that Indy in the Great War series talked about how the German military’s fear that in some years Russia’s economy and industry would be too powerful for Germany to ever confront so that’s why they wanted it go too war with Russia then rather then later, I was thinking due to the fact that most World War Two generals on the German side served in World War One that it could explain there rush to start conflict with the Soviet Union that soon rather then end it with the allies first?

3 Likes

Greetings Indy, Spartacus and Astrid.

I am interested in German industry, specifically the issue of concrete production. For most of the war, the German supply of concrete seems to be unabated, despite allied bombing. I am hoping that you can tell me some of the major companies involved, and why the allied bombing campaign doesn’t seem to make much of a dent in the production. I would have thought that concrete production was capital intensive and, given its multiple military applications, would be an important target, but given the millions of tons Germany produced and used in such a short time, I am not sure what to make of the situation, and my own research has not been particularly fruitful.

4 Likes

In following to the War Against Humanity series, you guys have brought up a number of times which the Russians either aided the Germans or took matters into their own hands in regards to the Holocaust. Were these peoples ever included in the final total of number’s dead or have those been solely assigned and attributed to the Nazis?

3 Likes

Question: Were abandoned Soviet troops holding out on the island(s?) off the coast of Estonia?

The TimeGhost production team doesn’t seem to leave any detail to chance, so we couldn’t help but notice the smidgen of frontline still consistently appearing on the isles west of Estonia on your Eastern Front maps. Given your meticulous track record, there must be an interesting story behind it, rather than cartographic oversight :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Indy, Spartacus, Crew, and whoever else deserves thanks for creating the wonderful TimeGhost content. I was wondering about Abwehr chief Wilhelm Canaris, specifically, what role he played in the Kriegsmarine as an admiral prior to the war, and what work he did at the Abwehr that might’ve led to his anti-Nazi stance. If this topic is too big for an Out of the Foxholes, I think it would make a really neat biography special. Thanks for all the suberb content you put out!

3 Likes

Hi Indy and Crew,

As far as German armor doctrine is concerned, I’ve noticed a particular emphasis on light tanks (the Panzer I, for instance, doesn’t even have a cannon, and the Panzer II has basically a pea shooter), however, even as early as 1941, there’s been an increase in the level of armor in the German armor corps i.e. Panzer IV, Sturmgeschutz IV, and the Panther (which while it wouldn’t see service until 1943 began development following Operation Barbarossa). While of course a reason for this is to counter Soviet armor, it seems to rapidly get out of hand as more and more ludicrous tanks begin to see development even to prototype and deployment stage (Jagdtiger, Ferdinand). I was wondering if you could tell me the motivations for the German army in changing their tank development in this way, especially after their light tank centric model had served them so well in the Battle of France and the invasion of Poland. Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi Indy and Crew! I’ve been following your tremendous work from the great war until now! My question for OOTF is about Canada. How large was their contribution to the allied war effort? Was comparable to their contributions during the First World War? Thank you guys for all your dedication and hard work!

4 Likes

Hello Indy and crew,

in previous OOTF episodes, you have covered which countries/nations sent troops to fight with or alongside German army in the east, but my question is, which (foreign) countries/nations had troops who fought together with Russian army? What role and importance did they have?

Cheers and stay safe, Milan.

3 Likes

Greetings to Indy, Spartacus, and the rest of the crew.
I am curious if Germany had any real chance at coercing Franco’s Spain to join the Axis Powers, or at least allow the Germans to seize Gibraltar through their territory? Was Germany in a position to gain any other allies? Sweden? Ukraine? Idk, man.

3 Likes

Hi Indy and team,

Been following your channel since day one and Patreon for more than two years now but actually haven’t really been in the TimeGhost community forum often so far. I do have a question for OOTF actually.

My question is: Were there any British or Commonwealth units that were able to evade the Japanese when they overran Malaya and hid in the jungle, perhaps as stay behind units? Also did the Malayan Communist Party (MCP) contribute in any way during the Malayan Campaign? Lastly, is Yamashita’s gold real or actually a myth?

Sorry for the many questions but somehow I always pondered about these questions in my mind often. Stay safe, Dickson.

3 Likes

What happened to the indigenous saami people after Germany occupied Norway?

2 Likes

In the early years of the war what did the allies do with the thousands of Italian and German Prisoners captured in action in the African campaigns of North Africa and Kenya?

3 Likes

Hi Indy and Crew

I wanted to ask, what was the role of Prussia during the Second World War and what were its politics like?

As always keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Prussia was part of Nazi Germany during WW2. East Prussia had been split from Germany as a result of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919, and the city of Gdansk/Danzig had been ceded to Poland in what became known as the Danzig Corridor. This, and the large number of ethnic Germans living in Poland, as well as a fake attack on Germany, served as Hitler’s excuses for invading Poland in 1939. Subsequently the Danzig Corridor was reintegrated back into Germany as part of what had been Prussia. Prussia was noted for having a very devout Nazi following. Towards the end of the war, East Prussia and specifically the city of Konigsberg were the site of very heavy fighting between the Soviets and the Nazis, and after its capture it was renamed Kaliningrad and became part of Soviet Russia, and remains part of Russia even today, though it was once part of Prussia.

2 Likes