Welcome to Out of the Foxholes - Questions category

Greetings Indy, Spartacus and Astrid.

I am interested in German industry, specifically the issue of concrete production. For most of the war, the German supply of concrete seems to be unabated, despite allied bombing. I am hoping that you can tell me some of the major companies involved, and why the allied bombing campaign doesn’t seem to make much of a dent in the production. I would have thought that concrete production was capital intensive and, given its multiple military applications, would be an important target, but given the millions of tons Germany produced and used in such a short time, I am not sure what to make of the situation, and my own research has not been particularly fruitful.

4 Likes

In following to the War Against Humanity series, you guys have brought up a number of times which the Russians either aided the Germans or took matters into their own hands in regards to the Holocaust. Were these peoples ever included in the final total of number’s dead or have those been solely assigned and attributed to the Nazis?

3 Likes

Question: Were abandoned Soviet troops holding out on the island(s?) off the coast of Estonia?

The TimeGhost production team doesn’t seem to leave any detail to chance, so we couldn’t help but notice the smidgen of frontline still consistently appearing on the isles west of Estonia on your Eastern Front maps. Given your meticulous track record, there must be an interesting story behind it, rather than cartographic oversight :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Indy, Spartacus, Crew, and whoever else deserves thanks for creating the wonderful TimeGhost content. I was wondering about Abwehr chief Wilhelm Canaris, specifically, what role he played in the Kriegsmarine as an admiral prior to the war, and what work he did at the Abwehr that might’ve led to his anti-Nazi stance. If this topic is too big for an Out of the Foxholes, I think it would make a really neat biography special. Thanks for all the suberb content you put out!

3 Likes

Hi Indy and Crew,

As far as German armor doctrine is concerned, I’ve noticed a particular emphasis on light tanks (the Panzer I, for instance, doesn’t even have a cannon, and the Panzer II has basically a pea shooter), however, even as early as 1941, there’s been an increase in the level of armor in the German armor corps i.e. Panzer IV, Sturmgeschutz IV, and the Panther (which while it wouldn’t see service until 1943 began development following Operation Barbarossa). While of course a reason for this is to counter Soviet armor, it seems to rapidly get out of hand as more and more ludicrous tanks begin to see development even to prototype and deployment stage (Jagdtiger, Ferdinand). I was wondering if you could tell me the motivations for the German army in changing their tank development in this way, especially after their light tank centric model had served them so well in the Battle of France and the invasion of Poland. Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi Indy and Crew! I’ve been following your tremendous work from the great war until now! My question for OOTF is about Canada. How large was their contribution to the allied war effort? Was comparable to their contributions during the First World War? Thank you guys for all your dedication and hard work!

4 Likes

Hello Indy and crew,

in previous OOTF episodes, you have covered which countries/nations sent troops to fight with or alongside German army in the east, but my question is, which (foreign) countries/nations had troops who fought together with Russian army? What role and importance did they have?

Cheers and stay safe, Milan.

3 Likes

Greetings to Indy, Spartacus, and the rest of the crew.
I am curious if Germany had any real chance at coercing Franco’s Spain to join the Axis Powers, or at least allow the Germans to seize Gibraltar through their territory? Was Germany in a position to gain any other allies? Sweden? Ukraine? Idk, man.

3 Likes

Hi Indy and team,

Been following your channel since day one and Patreon for more than two years now but actually haven’t really been in the TimeGhost community forum often so far. I do have a question for OOTF actually.

My question is: Were there any British or Commonwealth units that were able to evade the Japanese when they overran Malaya and hid in the jungle, perhaps as stay behind units? Also did the Malayan Communist Party (MCP) contribute in any way during the Malayan Campaign? Lastly, is Yamashita’s gold real or actually a myth?

Sorry for the many questions but somehow I always pondered about these questions in my mind often. Stay safe, Dickson.

3 Likes

What happened to the indigenous saami people after Germany occupied Norway?

2 Likes

In the early years of the war what did the allies do with the thousands of Italian and German Prisoners captured in action in the African campaigns of North Africa and Kenya?

3 Likes

Hi Indy and Crew

I wanted to ask, what was the role of Prussia during the Second World War and what were its politics like?

As always keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Prussia was part of Nazi Germany during WW2. East Prussia had been split from Germany as a result of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919, and the city of Gdansk/Danzig had been ceded to Poland in what became known as the Danzig Corridor. This, and the large number of ethnic Germans living in Poland, as well as a fake attack on Germany, served as Hitler’s excuses for invading Poland in 1939. Subsequently the Danzig Corridor was reintegrated back into Germany as part of what had been Prussia. Prussia was noted for having a very devout Nazi following. Towards the end of the war, East Prussia and specifically the city of Konigsberg were the site of very heavy fighting between the Soviets and the Nazis, and after its capture it was renamed Kaliningrad and became part of Soviet Russia, and remains part of Russia even today, though it was once part of Prussia.

2 Likes

In the early stages of Fall Blau (May-July 1942), 1st Panzer Army under von Kleist received orders and counter-orders, sending them north, south, east (and probably west). Citino calls it “what happenedover the course of the next few days […] could be described as a comedy” (see here around the 29 minute mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzr6dD8fvVY&t=1745s)

I was wondering if you could tell us more about these orders - who gave them and why. And what von Kleist and the people around him thought of these orders.

3 Likes

Hello Indy and crew! First time, long time (been with you since 1914!)

Question for OOTF. In a recent episode, you mentioned that the Soviets surviving the initial German onslaught and their ability to regroup and strengthen over the winter largely on their own without significant Allied aid was proving that they were emerging as a superpower in their own right. This had caused Churchill and Roosevelt to have to rethink the post-world order and that it was becoming clear that the USSR was going to play a major role moving forward.

My question is, what were the Western Allies post-war world order plans that did not include the USSR?
It’s almost unimaginable today to think about the 2nd half of the 20th century that was not dominated by the US/USSR ideological showdown.

Thanks and keep up the great work!!

3 Likes

Hello indy!

What was finlands role in the holocaust

3 Likes

Hi Indy! Finally joined the TimeGhost Army after almost 7 years of watching you guys! I can hardly believe it’s been that long.
My question for OOTF - One of the resources Germany was after in Operation Barbarossa was of course oil. I know they desperately needed it but did they have any domestic production they could rely on whether it be synthetic or natural? Or were they solely reliant on foreign oil from Romania and the USSR pre-1941?

3 Likes

Hello Indy, Astrid, and Sparty!

Been watching your content since late 1915 and finally enlisted in the TimeGhost Amry, great work!

My question(s) for OOTF is…

As the Soviet Union continues to lose ground in the Ukraine and scorched Earth policy is in affect, where is the Soviet Union getting their food supply from? Are the Soviets purely relying on foreign imports for their food? Obviously the Red Army isn’t the only Allied army that needs food, were there any shortages? What were rations like?

I come from a long history of farmers dating back to the late 1800s and my father still farms to this day in Saskatchewan! My grandmother was a little girl during the war and told me about how her father (my great-grandfather) told her about the fighting going on in the East and how everyday she would go look outside her East facing window for hours trying to see the soldiers fighting (she didn’t see any surprisingly), as well she always tells me how she hid all day and night in the basement on December 7th, 1941 because she was terrified that the Japanese were going to come attack, her father kept reassuring her that the Japanese wouldn’t come but she wouldn’t come out. lol.

Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Hey gang,

Been watching your content since the pandemic began.

As a scientist, credentials are very important. You can’t submit a publication for example without the appropriate credentials or otherwise verifying your expertise (i.e. your supervisors credentials). While I love your content, in the day of misinformation, I would love for you to publicly verify your expertise as historians as academic journal searches, book searches, or even google searches failed to provide any results. To be fair, I may be looking in inappropriate journal databases, as I typically use biology databases and am less familiar with historical searches. I see that you are writers, producers, and actors for youtube content, yippee ki yay (sarcastically). Your content is very important if you can verify the reliability. Please do so or I must stop watching your content. Please point me to any peer-reviewed articles, conference presentations, books, instructional experience, your completed education, etc. to do so, and ideally on your youtube channel.

Much obliged,

Kevin Jensen
-M.Sc. (Biology) Florida Atlantic University
-RPCV Malawi
-B.A (Hons, Marine Biology) New College of Florida

3 Likes

I’ve actually criticized this lack of proper citation (they mostly used only a single source and it wasn’t the best one in the video discussed here):

2 Likes