War Movie Recommendations

Thanks for the book recommendation, it seems interesting.
Now just those episodes of WW2 channel came to my mind when Indy told about Wehrmacht officers who complained about the brutal massacre of civilians by the SS and the negative impact of it on Whermacht soldiers. So you’re right, they knew about it, they just didn’t like it. However, I absolutely can beleive that as the war went on, the regular soldier got more accustomed to this and might had become even the one who committed those crimes.

2 Likes

Not a movie, but I really recommend the amazing work by Paralight Worx, which can be seen on YouTube. Really excellent short films from the view of ordinary soldiers in the Wehrmacht.

4 Likes

Having been on Norway on vacation i saw the movie called The King Choice, it is a great one showing the decision on whether Norway went Denmark and allowed the Germans in ore go to War.

4 Likes
3 Likes

3 Likes

I will add one recommendation for a movie about the Chinese Civil War in 1948 (so I guess spoiler alert from the perspective of this locale :slight_smile: )
Assembly

There is a lot of politics involved especially in the second half of the movie, but it somehow spoke to me, and I think not many people have actually seen this.

3 Likes

And a few more recommendations all over the place:
Flags of Our Fathers / Letters from Iwo Jima

It’s basically the same narrative shot by two camera sets, it’s a Clint Eastwood production, but it’s not full out Hollywood. The American side is focused on the post-war psychological side and the Japanese side is focused on the downfall of the Japanese army as the first piece of home Japanese soil was taken.

Grave of the Fireflies

It’s anime, but don’t for one second be fooled by that. It’s about the civilian life in Japan in the 40s and it’s deeply psychological and I don’t recommend this to sensitive types. We watched this with a group of friends and were stunned in silence for like 15 minutes after the movie.

Admiral

Russian produced bio of Alexander Kolchak, first Russian president and leader of the White Army as the Russian Civil War breaks out and plays out. My take on historical accuracy is that the Czechoslovak legions actually speak Czech :smiley: (not to be taken for granted)

The Man With an Iron Heart

Something from the (well, mine anyway :wink: )homefront, it portrays the rise to prominence of Reichsprotektor Reinhard Heydrich and his assassination by the Czechoslovak paratroopers in Prague. (here the Czechoslovaks are south slavic for example, and when they sang the Czechoslovak national anthem I couldn’t help but cringe)

And honorary mention for two Czech movies, if you can manage to get a hold of them and some decent subtitles:
Lida Baarova https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281961 about the actress who was Goebels’ lover
The Last of the Cyclists https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3037036/ viewing the war years from the perspective of a young Jewish-raised girl and the fall of the family from prominence down to the end of the war.

4 Likes

For an interesting Soviet perspective of a Bielorussia youth in 1943 there is Come and See. It is very impressive, but not an easy watch. The movie is based on Soviet propaganda reels showing the atrocities committed in Bielorussia.

3 Likes

Hi, I would like to inform you that the Italian movie Il Primo Re about the story of Romulus and Remus has been released in Blue-Ray in North America if anyone’s curious. Here’s the final scene and the beautiful end credits (don’t forget to put the English sub on).

3 Likes

Are my eyes hurting? I can’t find a single recommendation for ‘Liberation’ in this entire thread :open_mouth: You’d think this mandatory viewing for anyone interested in the Eastern front.

4 Likes

Just saw Midway, real good production and historically accurate for a Hollywood movie.

4 Likes

And for a Roland Emmerich film (remember, he made 10,000 B.C.)

3 Likes

My parents & I just watch 1917 today. I think did a very good job of showing just how brutal & dehumanizing that war really was. I’m also amazed at how well the “one continuous shot” effect worked.

4 Likes

The Pacific was awesome, especially the book of Eugene Sledge was portrayed very well.

3 Likes

I loved the night swallows, better known In the West as the night witches. The exciting adventures of
The lady pilots. For the fans of biplanes and people we
Who want to brush up their Russian. Tip:Monino Air base Has the real planes on display!

5 Likes

71: Into the Fire

5 Likes

The Eternal Zero is one of those very special movies as it tells the Japanese perspective and how they had to fight a completely hopeless war and where “chosen” to become Kamikazes (not sure if that is true).

It makes a great watch and it did change my perspective as a Dutchman with some ex-Indonesian family.

Kinda hard to say more because that would mean spoiler alerts.

4 Likes

Indeed, Russian/Soviet movies deserve far more attention like the night swallows

2 Likes

Definitely true, the Battle of Britain and other movies like Wings and The Final Countdown (probably not entirely historical :wink: actually did have real non-CGI planes which makes it much better. Also the details of the movie are great, like the Spitfire making a Victory roll after the Nazi Heinkels got hammered. I didn’t realize the later until many years later when I did a training flight on the Spitfire from Biggin and could try out one myself.

Here is my favorite scene:

3 Likes

I just saw Wings again a few weeks ago and I still love it as always. One of my favorite silent films. The movie is exciting as hell, especially the action scenes and the way they were shot, the soundtrack and the effects. What makes it even more awesome is that many of the pilots (including one of the leads) were part of the real thing only a decade prior. What also wasn’t helping was Clara Bow, who was so goddamn cute that my wife had to physically turn my head whenever Clara appears on-screen just in case I have a “cuteness attack.”

396px-Wings_poster

4 Likes