War Movie Recommendations

Hello I rearly post on this forum , but I just come back from ‘they never shall grow old’ , a war movie , documentary by Peter Jackson , in association with the Imperial War Museum (IWM) , and BBC , it was featured tonight in my local movie theater , and I was glad to notice it because I actually wanted to see the new avenger movie , I really would recommend it is , more a documentary then a movie , about the people who did witness the war from the frontlines , from the Englsih perspectieve …

It is ofcourse about the First World War , but nowadays I see 1914 as 1945 as one ‘lil century’ … Like some Historians do.

3 Likes

great recommendation, if this is the movie where the Finnish (pinko commie) pow’s put on a comedic play for the Fin kommandant, and the visiting German general and his staff? If it is this movie, it was absolutely funny and fantastic, even though there were sub-titles, but even so, def worth the watch.

Also, just a few others that NEED TO BE WATCHED

1. DOWNFALL (there are sub-titles) the german actor who portrayed Hitler deserved an Academy Aw.
  2. AMEN
  3. THE EAGLE HAS LANDED

I CAN NAME MORE BUT IM TIRED OF TYPING.
Regards TGA,
Sean

2 Likes

This youtube video seems relevant to this thread:

3 Likes

CityofLifeandDeath

City of Life and Death is a Chinese drama released in 2009 that received critical and commercial acclaim, the movie is about the Second Sino-Japanese War and the Nanking massacre.
Here’s one of my favourite scenes.

2 Likes

Nobody mentioned Das Boot yet?

2 Likes

Or Downfall? Except this, probably.

2 Likes

Operation Finale is about the capture and extraction of Adolf Eichmann from South America. He was the architect of the final solution for the Jess. It’s an excellent movie!

3 Likes

The Man Who Captured Eichmann was much better.

2 Likes

I will definitely have to see that movie!

3 Likes

:+1::+1::+1:

4 Likes

Oddly enough it is a pretty fair representation of what happened to the so called “Lost Battalion”. They got the basic story pretty spot on and the uniforms and gear were too. Not a bad movie at all, especially by “Hollywood” standards.

3 Likes

Totally unrelated to the movie, but I’m currently reading John Prados’s Normandy Crucible, where he makes repeated reference to a SPOILER 1944 American “Lost Battalion” in SPOILER Normandy during the SPOILER American breakout from the bocage in SPOILER Operation Cobra.

How many damned battalions was the US Army in the habit of losing in active service? :wink:

2 Likes

if nobody haven’t said it…
org tile # Den 12 mann
eng title # The 12th Man

a real story
about the Norwegian Resistance man Jan Baalsrud escape from Gestapo
that’s really good…

2 Likes

I would like to mention a movie from my country Romulus & Remus: The First King (Italian: Il primo re, 2019). It’s a retelling of the story of Romolus and Remus, the director collaborated with several archeologist to make this movie in which only proto-Latin with subtitles is spoken.
Sadly I do not have many informations about foreign distribution.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Hi all,

I recomend an italian movie from 2002 on the battle of El Alamein, it tells the perspective of a group of soldiers of the “Pavia” infantry division.
Original title: El Alamein, la linea del fuoco
Title in english: El Alamein, the line of fire

Enjoy!!
el%20alamein|350x500el%20alamein

4 Likes

As a little side project I’ve decided to make some subtitles for the initial scene of the Italian movie La Grande Guerra (about the Great War) which I consider to be one of the best war movies of all time.
You just need to click on the subtitles button, bear in mind that I’m not a native English speaker so there could be mistakes. I would appreciate some feedback (either positive or negative).

5 Likes

Enemy at the Gates for the Soviet-German front during WW2

3 Likes

Brestskaya krepost (about the battle for the Brest-Litovsk fortress)

Talvisota (The Winter War, make sure to get the extended version)

4 Likes

New patron here, can anyone help me pick out which version of Das Boot to watch? The internet doesn’t seem to have a clear idea of which is better.

4 Likes