Opinion - Other History Youtubers

Not really. His videos on feminism, gun rights and the party switch are downright atrocious. Absolutely won’t recommend. Even in the videos wherein he does try to put some effort (his video on Japan), he resorts to what I call “arrogance of modernity.”

1 Like

I consider him one of the lesser historians on the Civil War. There’s simplification of complicated affairs and then there’s downright manipulation of the narrative and being a weasel, something which Atun engages in a lot especially when talking about the Confederacy (pro-tip: even for a slave-owning state, you have to be neutral in your analysis). He’s also proven to be a coward, in his stance on statues and historiography.

Folks like him are the reason why I know students who nearly quit history class.

Ignore the videos of uh… Feminism and all that… We are talking about history… my friend. And the two outliers

“Arrogance of modernity”. I am not sure what that means.

2 Likes

One of my personal favorite videos of his is his video on the Halley’s Comet sighting of 1910.

1 Like

That is a history video, he does talk about its history after all.

1 Like

Time Team Official - rereleased episodes of the classic archaeology series, plus new stuff.

2 Likes

“We are more progressive and more “woke” than our ancestors. [Whatever side we talk about] are a bunch of morons.”

1 Like

Eh, I don’t know. I found his videos (along with K&G in general) rather boring at best and downright false at worst (his video on the Civil Rights Movement makes TimeGhost’s video on U.S. Army racism look well-researched by comparison).

My list:

• History Guy: History Deserves to be Remembered
  • Mark Felton Productions (and also his second channel War Stories with Mark Felton)
  • TIK
  • Allec Joshua Ibay (if you consider videos on aviation disasters as being history content, which I do)
  • Lindybeige
  • Townsends
  • The Laughing Cavalier (movie/TV review channel, especially those set in the Tudor period)
  • The 8-Bit Guy (for some computer and electronics history)
  • Montemayor
  • Real Time History (highly recommend his videos on the Franco-Prussian War)
  • Voices of the Past
  • Military History Visualized
  • Military Aviation History
  • Tasting History with Max Miller
  • Jack the Ripper Tour (for Jack the Ripper videos, if you consider true crime history)
  • Criminally Listed and Horror Stories (again, true crime and strange events)
  • The Great War (some of the time at least)
  • Karolina Żebrowska, TheLongHairedFlapper, priorattire (the latter’s my wife’s favorite, for women’s fashion history)
  • Forrest Haggerty
  • Drachinifel
  • Some special videos from Dark Corners Reviews (movie review channel wherein he talks about Old Hollywood history in said videos)

I would put TimeGhost here, but… well…

1 Like

I ignore him because I find his presentation style to be aggressively abrasive. Even when I agree with what he’s saying, I find I have a very limited ability to watch before I have to stop.

1 Like

There’s a very intelligent and very articulate chap I often interact with on Gab who holds even stronger anti-Atun views than that. He and I generally agree not to discuss the videos whenever I post a link to them (I sometimes even hashtag the posts that I know will get him angry). Not being American, I don’t always see where the still-active fault lines are in discussing US Civil War topics, so perhaps I am taking more of his coverage at face value than I should, but I’ve generally found him entertaining and only occasionally find his presentation to be unfair or misleading.

I’ve usually seen that attitude described as “presentism”. And I agree it’s a serious issue with a lot of channels.

K&G/CW aren’t the most electric of presentations, agreed. Again, I don’t follow the details of US history as closely, so I’d imagine errors on the Civil Rights movement would probably get past me fairly easily.

1 Like

I have that issue with TIK as well – I suggest he really needs a script doctor and to be more confident.

1 Like

I’ve detailed some of that in my criticisms of TimeGhost’s video from months ago. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I despise Atun too. I was being, well, nice in my reply there (cleaning it up for this forum).

1 Like

something tells me that you watch it to because of uh… curly hair

1 Like

I have the same feeling when watching him. To me he also comes accross as a “quoter without evaluation”. E.g. Hitler was not obsessed about Stalingrad because he said so in speeches. The name was not a factor.

Obsessiveness is hard to measure BUT Hitler in his speeches was probably trying to convince the Germans that the name Stalingrad was irrelevant to him. In spite of the fact that it was a house to house forever slogging match.

Let alone his unwillingness to retreat from Festung Stalingrad later. The name mattered I think.

1 Like

TheLongHairedFlapper definitely :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

For anyone interested:

3 Likes

One should evaluate, but when one is twisting what is said to imply meanings to fit his worldview, he runs a serious risk of becoming a “quoter with overevaluation” or, worse, “quoter with misinterpretation” or “quoter with fabrication.” As an example, I pointed out the blatant manipulation of Stimson’s quotes on black servicemen by TG in my posts months ago. That’s a combination of misinterpretation, sensationalism and even omission (in that they ignore what Stimson himself had to say on the matter).

I see this a lot, “well, he said that, but he didn’t really mean it.” I’d ask: what makes one the authority to state that (unless he can read minds of people he had never even met associates of who are long dead)?

Yes, because Hitler was seeing how the battle was going and was desperate to beat the Russians and fully take the Volga and the Caucasus before the harsh winter. When the battle didn’t end by wintertime, he was forced to bog down, there was so much territory to defend and his supply lines were already thin. So, he downplayed the true nature of the battle to the public.

Look at the oil production of the region at the time and the geography of the area to see why it’s strategically important. It wasn’t just the name.

2 Likes

WOW! You’re the man! Can’t wait to dig into this list!

2 Likes