Is Timeghost using this book, The Battle for China: Essays on the Military History of the Sino-Japanese War of 1937-1945?

As we go into the high gear of Ichigo and Ugo and the war in Burma, I have sometimes worried that the sourcing on the Chinese and Japanese efforts in mainland Asia is uneven.

Indiana Neidell has talked about the difficulty in finding detailed battle chronologies/casualty reports of the type that are littered across books about the European campaign which then feed into the weekly episodes.

I know they are using Hans Van de Ven’s China at War, Rana Mitter’s Forgotten Ally, Richard Frank’s Tower of Skulls, but I wanted to know if they had this book.

The Battle for China: Essays on the Military History of the Sino-Japanese War of 1937-1945 by Hans Van De Ven and others. It is 467 pages (not counting citations/index) with maps. It was written in 2010 so it is modern and came out AFTER the release of Chiang Kai Shek’s diaries. It has Japanese, American, European, Taiwanese, and Chinese authors. (The earlier english language books about this period with any detail tend to be written by American/British authors and tend to be dominated by American/British interests and planning.)

The TOC is below and I think the Time Ghost team could really use Part V as we go into 1944-1945.

Part I. Overviews of the War
Chronology of the Sino-Japanese War, 1937-1945
HANS VAN DE VEN AND EDWARD J. DREA

1. An Overview of Major Military Campaigns during the Sino-Japanese War, 1937-1945
    EDWARD J. DREA AND HANS VAN DE VEN

2. The Dragon’s Seed: Origins of the War
    MARK R. PEATTIE

Part II. The Two Armies on the Eve of the War

1. The Nationalist Army on the Eve of the War
    CHANG JUI-TE

2. The Japanese Army on the Eve of the War
    EDWARD J. DREA

Part III. From the Fighting at the Marco Polo Bridge, July 1937, to the Fall of Wuhan, October 1938

1. Chiang Kai-shek and the Battles of Shanghai and Nanjing
    YANG TIANSHI

2. Japanese Operations from July to December 1937
    HATTORI SATOSHI WITH EDWARD J. DREA

3. The Defense of the Central Yangtze 181
    STEPHEN MACKINNON

4. The Japanese Eleventh Army in Central China,1938-1941
    TOBE RYOICHI

Part IV. The Middle Years and the Search for Military Solutions

1. The Japanese Air Campaigns in China, 1937-1945
    HAGIWARA MITSURU

2. The Great Bombing of Chongqing and the Anti-Japanese War, 1937-1945
    EDNA TOW

3. China’s Quest for Foreign Military Aid
    ZHANG BAIJIA

4. Nationalist and Communist Guerrilla Warfare in North China
    YANG KUISONG

5. Japanese Combat Morale: A Case Study of the Thirty-seventh Division
    KAWANO HITOSHI

Part V. The Later Japanese Offensives: The Burma and Ichigo Campaigns

**14. Japanese Operations in Yunnan and North Burma **
ASANO TOYOMI

15. Chinese Operations in Yunnan and Central Burma
ZANG YUNHU

**16. The Ichigo Offensive **
HARA TAKESHI

**17. The Battle of Hunan and the Chinese Military’s Response to Operation Ichigo **
WANG QISHENG

Part VI. Historical Perspectives
18. The Strategic Correlation between the Sino-Japanese and Pacific Wars
TOHMATSU HARUO

1. The Sino-Japanese War in History
    HANS VAN DE VEN

2. The Sino-Japanese War in the Context of World History
    RONALD SPECTOR

3 Likes

It’s been a while since we had evidence that the production team monitors posts here, so you’d probably do better contacting them directly with this information … it would give you a better chance that it would get to Indy.

3 Likes

Ok Nicholas, got a question. I joined TG to support the work Indy and Team are doing on the WW2 series. I also joined the TG site because I was under the impression that was the best way to support them, meaning they get more money from donations on this site, as opposed to Patreon. But when I went to the Patreon webiste it seemed to have the latest episodes, but not some of the material on here and was wondering if they no longer monitor this site, should I join on Patreon instead?

3 Likes

Sorry, Randy, I don’t know the correct answer to that question. I joined through Patreon early on, before this site was set up, so I don’t have a feel for it.

1 Like

Are you a member or both sites, or does your Patreon membership give you access to this site? Or, if you join here, do you have access to the Patreon site? I would like to be a part of both. Thanks for reaching out to me.

2 Likes

I also joined Patreon but don’t support them on here. At least when I started supporting on Patreon, I got a link to the community forum. But I have no idea if joining here lets you access Patreon.

2 Likes

I only support them financially through Patreon, which also gives me access to this site. I’d assume that this is only a one-directional thing, as Patreon wouldn’t be getting any of your money if you are supporting only through this site.

2 Likes