Editorial: Morale and mending (2-3-42)

The Pittsburgh Press (February 3, 1942)

img

Ferguson: Morale and mending

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

I never did think men would like women messing around in their wars. From several talks with those who direct state councils of defense and sundry other civilian organizations, I find the hunch was correct.

I sense signs of what may soon become open revolt. Subtle criticisms of women creep into masculine conversations and bode no good for females who hanker to put on pants and get into the fighting.

One says:

I’m having the damnedest time with the women volunteers.

…just like that and right out loud.

Most of them want to roll bandages, wade knee-deep in blood and drive ambulances. I hope the government lifts the priority on needles pretty soon, so some of these gals can do a little mending at home and also a little more mending for the reclamation work that is bound to come on uniforms, bedding and clothing for hospitals and soldiers.

While the papers report all kinds of new jobs for girls and the pictures show them toiling at strange tasks, there is a tendency to classify us as defenders of morale, and I’m for it.

We may be good pinch hitters and welders, truck drivers and machine operators, but I feel the nation can’t take much of that sort of stuff from its women and keep its values straight.

There are plenty of jobs for us. But, as in times of peace, they must be jobs for which we are naturally fitted. Occupational maladjustment is one of the fundamental sources of human misery, according to the psychologists. So a pretty good slogan for the girls, even now, would be:

Morale, morale and mending.

If we look after those, we’ll be doing a worthwhile job for Uncle Sam!