D-Day Research Contribution HERE

Hi

A memoir that relates the living of a Normandy family during the liberation.

Fun fact I found this book because my grandmother has lived the same event in the same place.

https://www.persee.fr/doc/annor_0003-4134_1994_num_44_2_4623

Antoine

2 Likes

The entire day of radio broadcasts on the NBC radio network from June 6, 1944. It begins around midnight with early rumors and reports being quoted from the German Trans Ocean news service. Lots of reports from correspondents in the theater FDR’s radio broadcast and periodic offerings of prayer by well known clergy of the time period. (People were generally quite religious in those days, especially compared to modern times. Religion during the war might even be a good topic for a special episode.) Complete Broadcast D-Day NBC : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive And here is the link to the Radio coverage from the CBS network… Complete Broadcast Day D-Day : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

3 Likes

Hello, very helpful, thank you.
Would you know of any personal recollections from those SAS forces?

Best,
Wieke

Thank you very much for the little insight you are giving us. They must have been wonderful people.
And yes, also these snippets of information do help us to get a better picture.

Thanks & all the best,
Wieke

2 Likes

They were. My grandfather was the kindest, most patient man you could find and my grandmother… She was a woman of absolute willpower and pride. I have no doubt that she never feared the Germans for a second during her time as a courier.

There are two other anecdotes he told me that could be placed around D-Day, but the dating is very uncertain.

Each little snippet of information he gave out was so anecdotal that it’s hard to draw a lot of information out of it. Once he was on a camping trip with his friends and, he said, a Panzer group passed by the spot they had pitched their tent in the night. He leaned out of the tent to investigate the noise of engines and marching, only to see a group of German officers arguing around a map, glance at him, and then go back to their map. He said it was one of the Afrika Korps divisions, but I can’t be sure. Dating the event is hard, because of the Afrika Korps claim, possibly 1943 or 1944?

Another time, he recalled one of his classmates coming back after the noon break to the school in tears after a bomber flight passed and an explosion had been heard in the city in the morning. That classmate’s house was gone in a bomb explosion and he feared his mother was dead, but miraculously she had been out at the time. He never specified when it was. Was it in the days following D-Day, when the allies were advancing and hitting targets around Belgium? Was it earlier in the war? He never said.

I have a more precise outline of his experience in the Évacuation, but that time has passed.

2 Likes

Hello Timo, thanks for the links you put up.
It would be great if you could arrange personal recollections of how D Day was reported. Newspaper articles, radio broadcasts, diaries, letters - all very useful.

Regarding the location scouting: we will come back to you if we are more concrete and need help there. Many thanks for the offer.

Best,
Wieke

1 Like

Some newspapers (6 June 1944) from The Netherlands:

2 Likes

Very interesting! Keep us updated if you go there!

Best,
Wieke

2 Likes

Interesting to know if that channel 1 is having digital material. Would you be willing to contact them? You can give me their contact details (as a reply) or you can give my e-mail address to them: wieke@timeghost.tv

Thanks & best,
Wieke

2 Likes

For Belgian radio broadcasts you could check
https://tijdlijn.100jaarradio.be/#/jaar/1944

more specific Tijdlijn 100 jaar Radio | 100 Jaar Radio is probably what you’re looking for.

Belgium-French broadcast are probably more common though I couldn’t find any sources on that yet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Many thanks for taking the time to translate the article. Much appreciated

4 Likes

I definitely want to help out with this.

3 Likes

i sent them a message, until they answer

3 Likes

Sverige under andra världskriget - 1944 till 1945 - YouTube This is the Swedish SF-journalen. Since Indy have knowledge of Swedish i am sure he will like this. It is what the Swedes saw in June 1944. The last half is from our celebration of Swedish flag day on 6 of June 1944

I am going to Stockholm tomorrow and will visit Kungliga biblioteket and add newspaper clips from 6 of June 1944

3 Likes

I hope this helps to represent Canada!

The link below provides multiple news papers from, The Hamilton Spectator and Globe and Mail (Globe and Mail still active today) which should assist with your research. Major fan of your channel and honoured to be invited to help you! I am also trying to arrange an interview with my sister-in-law’s grandfather who was a Filipino civilian (in the Philippines of course) during the war to see if he heard anything of the D Day invasion.

Source: WarMuseum.ca - Democracy at War - D-Day and the Normandy Campaign - Dday maps

Take care,

4 Likes

I use Hathi Trust for a lot of recorded scanned books. Here’s a selection of books with the relevant page selected. If these are what you’re looking for I’ll keep digging.

In addition I have a few journal entries from my grandfather I can transcribe.

2 Likes

Hi, I found alot in my local library about the build up to D-Day, esspecially about the american soldiers coming to britain. I know it’s not exactly what your asking for but it’s also kinda to do with the subject? Could I post the information up.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this is the only newspaper I was able to find online which has an archive with images older than 1952. I do not live in Italy anymore, but I am sure that if I went physically to my ex-local newspaper agency they have an archive that spans at least to the late 1800s.
Regarding radio or film archive from 6th of June probably the “Istituto Luce” would have some. I will check.

The main article reads that the Supreme Command of the German armed forces communicates: The previous night the enemy has started the attack against western Europe, which has been planned for a long time and us awaited. Following strong air attacks against our coastal fortresses, airborne troops have descended on various locations of the Northern French coast between Le Havre and Cherbourg. Meanwhile, others have simultaneously disembarked from the sea with the support of a heavy naval presence. On the beaches, heavy fighting ensues.
In Italy, the enemy moving towards Rome has tried in vain to spearhead, against our defense forces, the city from the west and north. From the east of the city, the enemy attacks have made use of concentrated forces throughout the day near Tivoli. At the east of this location, they have been stopped after heavy fighting.
In the North of Italy, our fighters and anti-aircraft have taken down 8 enemy planes.
On the Eastern front, the German-Romanian army supported by efficient German-Romanian air forces have advanced further thanks to heavy fighting against the strong resistance of the enemy and they have pushed back repeated Bolshevik attacks. During the air fight, 39 enemy planes have been destroyed.
From the rest of the eastern front local fightings have been reported in the Vitabek sector.
In Croatia, the army and SS units of General-colonel Rendulic, supported by fighters and attack plane formations have attacked the center of the Tito group of fighters. They have successfully liquidated them by heavy attacks lasting many days. According to provisional reports, the enemy has lost 6 240 men. Furthermore, many weapons and kitchen utensils have been captured.
In these fightings, the formations which have stood out are the following: the 7th alpine division of the SS “Prinz Eugen” commanded by Oberführer of the SS Kumm and the 500th airborne of the SS commanded by Hauptsturmführer of the SS Rybka.
The last night some enemy planes have released bombs on Osnabruck. Two planes have been taken down.

I hope this translation makes sense. Let me know if a translation of the whole front page would help.

Tommaso

3 Likes

I’d like to introduce you to a man who was at D-Day on June 6th on Omaha Beach. His name is Jack Gutman, if you search Jack Gutman WW2 Vet you’ll find his book and several news articles about him. He has become a friend over the last two years and gets 2-3 interview requests a month. He is 96 and still going. If you’d like an interview with a man who was there, let me know and I’ll contact him and then see if we can set up something. He is in Southern CA . Maybe a zoom interview could work although in person would obviously be amazing. Don’t wait too long, at 96, just saying. I’m a big fan of your show and a really big fan of D-Day. I’m already planning to take the day off work so I can sit and watch the whole thing!

5 Likes

Here are two articles about a family friend of mine, he was a signalman, telephone linesman to be precise, landed on Juno Beach on June 9th. He’s a good example of the support troops who are ever so essential:

https://lakefieldwarvets.ca/whetung-murray/

Another writeup from the Toronto Sun in 2009.

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/nbr-not-biking-related-9/topic/the-last-warrior-52834/

I’ve had dinner with him several times; he passed away last year at the age of 100.

In reply to earlier in the thread, indigenous Canadians were denied the right to vote until 1960 under the Indian Act. Curve Lake, north of Peterborough, ON was the first reserve to exercise the right to vote I the 1960 by-election in Peterborough West. Mr Whetung was among those casting his ballot.

3 Likes