D-Day Research Contribution HERE

Glad it help. I don’t really know about Radio Archive, except this:
The Radio Bruxelles - Zender Brussel archives | Cegesoma, the catalogue is available online but I don’t think you can listen to the actual broadcast online.

Also, I don’t have the impression that there are recording about the DDay in the catalogue, but who knows’, maybe a good place to look, get some contact.

1 Like

Hear is a link to 44 front pages of newspapers and a video of a D-Day vet.

3 Likes

A greek newspaper of that era ( https://www.kathimerini.gr/k/100yk/1019687/apovasi-sti-normandia/ )
1944_0706-1

2 Likes

I managed to find two Finnish newspaper articles from that day. They seem to talk about the invasion surprisingly openly. The first one is from Turun Sanomat, and second one is a news article from Helsingin Sanomat.
kuva

2 Likes

Since Iam new user I could only post one picture, so here is the second one.

kuva

3 Likes

Palm Beach Post (West Palm Beach, FL, USA) - June 6, 1944 Tuesday Morning
Banner headline: “Nazis Say Invasion Underway”
London AP story which begins “The German news agency Transocean said today in a broadcast that the Allied invasion had begun. There was no Allied confirmation.”

Banner headline for June 7, same paper:
“Allied Forces Expand First Gains; Eisenhower ‘Serene’”

Miami Herald (Miami, FL, USA) - Tues June 6, 1944 Extra
Banner Headline: INVASION LAUNCHED (large and bold)
Banner Subtitle: Allied Troops Swarm Ashore
“Allied Invasion Termed History’s Biggest Gamble” is one of the front page stories.

Interestingly, nearly all the front page articles on both papers is Associated Press.

2 Likes

The Brooklyn Eagle’s page had United Press articles. I smell rivalry :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Hey Folks,
love your work. Keep it coming.
I’m not sure if you are aware of this but the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz has recently launched a huge collection of German newspapers. Daily, weekly, evening dispatches - the lot. Maybe there are some interesting snippets of D-Day from the German side. They probably won’t be too factual but will certainly give a good impression of initial reactions. Anyway, here’s the link:
https://www.deutsche-digitale-bibliothek.de/newspaper?lang=en
Cheers,
Julian

2 Likes

ok so i got an answer from the official channel - they did not answer my question regarding helping directly, but they did give me an email to the digitized film archive - they have told me that they are slow to answer because of getting many requests and the digitization is still not done (scheduled finish is 2024) but they do make an effort to help

email: film-archive@kan.org.il

im gonna try some local history facebook groups to see if anyone knows someone with some credentials about the late mandate period

3 Likes

Hello Tommaso,

Thanks again, for your translation. A few questions, relating to what you wrote:
What local newspaper agency have you worked for? And if you think they have materials, would there be a possibility that we could contact them, so they can give us an overview of what they have?

I can’t read Italian, so difficult for me to understand what archive would contain the materials from Istituto Luce. But super interested to see if there are recordings concerning D Day. Do you have time to help out what archive has the biggest chance of containing some kind of recordings?

Best,
Wieke

1 Like

Hello Arnaud,

The link you shared is very valuable! I noticed that they do have recordings in the month of June 1944 in German, French and Dutch. It would be very interesting to see if there is notion of an impending invasion (or it’s aftermath). But you are correct, we would have to go there physically to listen to it.
Do you live in Brussels yourself, by any chance? Or would you know anyone who is somehow related to the Radio Bruxelles archive?
Best, Wieke

3 Likes

Ah, great overview! Thanks for sharing the link.

3 Likes

This is a great source! Many thanks.

Best,
Wieke

1 Like

Picture1
SHAEF (Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force) incoming messages from General Dwight Eisenhower to General George Marshall concerning the first reports of the Normandy landings, June 6, 1944

5 Likes

We couldn’t miss Delpher of course.
Thanks!

Best, Wieke

1 Like

Excellent contribution, thank you.
Would you have time to translate (roughly) what it says, so I can understand the tone and angle of the articles?

Thanks, best, Wieke

2 Likes

Thanks!
Would you have time to give a (rough) overview of what it says? This so I can judge the tone, angle, general message…

Would be great!
Best, Wieke

2 Likes

I’ll make sure to e-mail them. Thank you and keep me updated on how you fare with the local history groups.
Best,
Wieke

2 Likes

Indeed, I actually live in Brussels. I don’t know anyone related to the archive (me neither in fact). But if I can help in any way, I can try finding some time in my schedule, let me know. FYI, I’m a Belgian French Speaker… with some basic knowledge of Dutch but nothing more.

3 Likes

Hi Wieke,

I apologize, I might have mis-described but I have never worked for a newspaper agency. I am just aware that the one located in my city in Italy does keep records. The newspaper I am referring to is “Secolo XIX” from Genova, Italy.
I could indeed ask them what records, if any, they have. I can also look into the Istituto Luce, yes.

Tommaso

2 Likes