D-Day Research Contribution HERE

slovenec66

So, besides my first post above from the Radio Vestnik newspaper, Iā€™ve found some other newspapers from other newspapers. What might be most interesting is that Radio Vestnik is an underground newspaper, organized by the Liberation Front of the Slovene Nation (or simply OF for ā€œOsvobodilna Frontaā€ (Liberation front)), while the other newspapers are controlled by the occupation forces. The differences between them are obvious. Those controlled by Italians and Germans are basically all the same, even containing the same articles and titles across different newspapers. The newspapers published on June 6th donā€™t mention the invasion at all, but still focus on the capture of Rome. They try to present axis powers in good light, while shoving the guilt for suffering, deaths, etc. on the allies. One such is ā€œSlovenec - političen list za slovenski narodā€ (The Slovenian (man) - Political paper for the Slovenian nation).

Iā€™ve also found some newspapers of Slovenian settlers in USA. They still used Slovenian language for writing most articles. Iā€™ll link one of them here and you can get back to me if you need something translated.

On the 7th, most ā€œofficialā€ papers still donā€™t report on the invasion. But there are a couple of exceptions. So Iā€™ll separate them in a different response to this post and translate them once I have time.

Keep doing good work. :blush:

1 Like

Excellent input Martin, many thanks. It is indeed an interesting angle: the resistance knew much more of the invasion than the official Axis news sources did. And both had their own motivations to share the news. It can create an interesting storyline.

If you have more translations, please post it here.
Best, Wieke

2 Likes

Info for you on the 320th Anti-Aircraft Barrage Balloon Battalion (VLA) at Omaha Beach. The 320th was the first Black Unit to see combat in World War II and among the first troops to set foot on the Normandy Beachhead. My Uncle was a member. He said that ā€œIt seemed like the whole German Army was shooting at meā€. He was near by when his Sargent was killed by shrapnel when he looked up from the little cover they had to find a way off the beach.

Hervieux, Linda (2015). Forgotten: The Untold Story of D-Dayā€™s Black Heroes, At Home and at War. United States: HarperCollins. ISBN 978-0-06-231379-9.

Protecting the Beaches with Balloons: D-Day and the 320th Barrage Balloon Battalion

Here are some of the 320th. Unfortunately my Uncle Jameā€™s [James Preston Brown] name is switched with Scottā€™s(?) in the caption. He kept a framed copy of the same photo (minus the names) in his living room in Darlington, S. C.

2 Likes

Have several links for you, but as I am a new user, I am not allowed to post them to you! I will post them as I am allowed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My Father (Tuskegee Airman), his two brothers (Navy SeaBee and 320 VLA Barrage Balloon), & my Momā€™s brother (Tuskegee Airman) were all anti-fascists. Uncle Jamesā€™ 320th VLA Barrage Balloon unit that was the only Black unit at Omaha Beach on #DDay. #DDay76

2 Likes

Huzzah! I did discuss the Tuskegee Airmen briefly in the second post or so here (a critique of a TimeGhost video):

Also, welcome to the forum, Mr. Brown. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I saw it and really appreciated the episode. I noticed some of the little mistakes/pronunciations, etc. Iā€™ll check out your critique in a bit!

1 Like

Waverly Woodson & 320th Barrage Balloon Battalion ā€“ Keeping The Beachhead Safe From The Luftwaffe

D-Day, and the Very Low Altitude Barrage Balloon Battalion, a story

2 Likes

Excellent. Though Iā€™m pretty sure some folks will disagree with my analysis, because itā€™s not the stuff they were taught in schools.

1 Like

No worries. There are lots of different views of the times and events and lots of different motivations. My Uncles thought that fighting fascism there would help them fight it here, but my Father was less optimistic about that given what happened after WWI. He joined the Air Corps, he told me, because infantry slept on the ground whereas airmen got a cot, and he was not the kind of person that sleeps on the ground! :laughing:

3 Likes

The All Black 320th Anti-Aircraft Barrage Balloon Battalion, VLA
They Landed on D-Day
Bill Davisonā€™s Letter to the HistoryNet
https://lestweforget.hamptonu.edu/page.cfm?uuid=9FEC3327-B2FB-E987-04E6361B4835AFA5

2 Likes

All-black balloon unit served with distinction on D-Day
By Ben Sherman, Fort SillMay 1, 2014

Henry Parham, last survivor of Black unit on D-Day, dead at 99

2 Likes

Thanks for Sharing this wonderful information brbrowniii801. So they were supposed to land and 630AM in the first waves to put up barrage balloons which sounds like an incredibly dangerous assignment. All the respect for them.

It also reminded me of one of my old school sources, Dr. Quintard Taylor which taught me a lot of new stuff, this is on D-Day:

You searched for D-Day ā€¢ (blackpast.org)

3 Likes

Another thanks for the posts!!! And I would not use the word ā€œforgottenā€- you canā€™t forget something that nobody knows about- the contributions are not identified. Based on the pictures, the barrage balloons were there, but Iā€™ve never seen who put them there. Thanks for filling in that missing piece.

The December following D-Day, Iā€™m interested in seeing coverage of Bastonge, too- as reading some books clearly IDā€™s an African American artillery unit right along with the 101st Airborne. But itā€™s hard to find any info, and shows like Band of Brothers suggest they were the only ones there (which is worse, because I also hear there were some tanks there) . But thatā€™s for a completely different thread.

To all the other posters- from just a reader and supporter, this is going to be really interesting!!!

4 Likes

By my knowledge Anne Frank died in Bergen-Belsen from starvation and exhaustion

2 Likes

Indeed I stand corrected, thanks for the correction, she was deported to Auschwitz and then deported 700+ kilometers to Bergen-Belsen to die there. I knew that earlier but apologies for the mistake and many thanks for the correction!

3 Likes

Also, @martin00 , would you have more information the Liberation Front of the Slovene Nation? I read that they had underground theaters, but also a radio program. Would be very interested to see if somehow transcripts of these recordings still exist.

Also general information on how news was spread by the Slovene resistance would be interesting to read.

Many thanks,
Wieke

3 Likes

No problem, just remembered differently in school.

Giving some more thought to it though, I think it is important to keep stressing this. Not all jews from the west died in Auschwitz. There was a whole system of concentration camps, which of course many of us know, but not every average Joe. As she is such an ā€˜iconicā€™ figure in the Holocaust (for better or worse), it will keep being important to stress her specific fate, because it emphasizes the entire system of terror set up to starve, exhaust and eventually kill the jews.

2 Likes

I remember my girlfriend telling me her granddad kept diaries from that period. I will ask her and see if there is anything relevant in there. He lived in the south of the Netherlands at the time (Brabant). There is probably more about operation Market Garden a bit later as that is when the American airborne troops walked through their village.

2 Likes

Thanks for the interest, @wieke

I have already looked into it and, unfortunately, there was no active resistance radio during the D-day, so thatā€™s a dead end. The story of radio in Slovenia during the second world war is still very interesting though. Hereā€™s an article about it: A clandestine radio station operated in the midst of Fascist-occupied Ljubljana - RTVSLO.si
The story of Kricac (Shouter) is very interesting in itself and there are many heroic stories involved.
The second illegal radio emerged in July 1944 (so just after D-day) as Radio Osvobodilna Fronta (Liberation Front).

Some were lucky (and daring) enough to listen to BBC: BBC World Service - Slovene Home Page

There was also the ā€œofficialā€ Radio Ljubljana, which was overtaken after occupation. First by the Italians, later by the Germans. Both have gradually limited the content in Slovenian and replaced it with music and shows in Italian/German language. On the picture above is Ivan Pengov who was a reporter at Radio Ljubljana even during occupation. At one point he even went to Rome, from where the Slovene news were read for a time. He continued his work at the radio in Ljubljana when Italy capitulated and the Germans took charge of the occupation in the territory of Slovenia, that was previously controlled by Italy.

As for the liberation front itselfā€¦ Oh boy.
Letā€™s just say that books have been and will continue to be written about this topic. But, I suppose, thatā€™s the same in every country. There is always more that can be said about the second world war, since there are so many viewpoints, experiences and means to record them all. Which is good.

Anyway. Iā€™ll link two publications that cover this field pretty well, in the reply to this (Since Iā€™ve already pasted two links in here). Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find something interesting in there, including how they handled information.

Iā€™ll keep looking and let you know when I find something interesting.
Best wishes.

2 Likes