Ask Us Anything May 13 2018 6:00 PM GMT

Provide your questions here ahead of time - we will select a number of questions to answer in extra detail during the AMA. Selection will be prioritised based on submitter membership tier.

5 Likes

How did you guys meet and what brought you two to create The Great War and the TimeGhost series?

And can Indy explain the tattoos on his body?

Thanks, and keep up the excellent work

1 Like

If you had in possession a time machine, what time and event in history would you have wanted to personally witness?

For me, it’s the early modern Olympics (1896-1920) and the 1950s.

1 Like

Hey guys! This is my first post and I’m a big time fan! So here’s my question…

Where are you guys from? And what got you interested in history? And lastly, do you have any plans to come to America for fan meetings?

As always, thanks for everything you guys do and keep up the good work!
~Andrew D

2 Likes

What is your favorite historical quote ever told ?
Keep up the amazing work ! You guys are awesome.

1 Like

Great show guys. I’ve been wondering the following considering the turmoil in Eastern Europe. Serveral independence wars involved with the Russian Civil War took place. The front shifted througout the years with foreign men occupying forein terrotiries (although the word ‘foreign’ seems to be very arbitrary I’d say).

Therefore I reckon the “rules of engagement” weren’t applied to a certain extent with tragic examples as the pogroms taking place (in Ukraine). Of the no POW policies of the reds and the whites in Russia.

I was wondering to what extent the rules of engagement were applied and were people prosecuted after the turmoil was over? Or was it rape and pillage all over and people got away with it en masse? Could you guys eleborate on that?

1 Like

What week of World War Two are you guys looking forward to the most? For me I think it will be Pearl Harbor

2 Likes

If it is, I have a surprise for TG.

Hey guys!

Thank you for your effort to make timeghost a reality. I’m very much looking forward to years of great content.

I’ve got questions regarding the global scope of your shows and the forum.
Some time ago, I read one’s complaint on the forum that your language was too sexually graphic. That complaint was commented by a fellow German who remarked that he thought your choice of words was fine for Europeans while it might be objectionable to Christian conservatives from the US. Since you also have to be commercially successful, are you considering to create different content suitable for different audiences?
My other questions concern German law and the issue of the factuality of the Shoa vs free speech allowing anyone in the US to claim it never happened. What will happen if someone on this forum should claim that the Shoa never actually happened? Will you just leave it open for discussion? Will you ban such individuals? Will you inform German police? Is your forum hosted in Europe or even Germany? And what about comments on YouTube? Will you just try to abide by YouTube’s set of rules or will you try remove any comment that might violate German law?
I know these are some pretty special questions. But I really fear your WW2 channel might also draw some idiots’ attention and wonder how you’ll be handling it.

Take care!

1 Like

Hello guys! I am so happy with the work both of you are doing! Keep up the good work! I was wondering what your favorite technology(ies) are from World War I and World II?

2 Likes

Have you guys considered getting Indy a cigar to go with that glass of whisky? I can’t help but feel that with the braces it would go really well or are we going to wait for wartime austerity to finish and go for it in the 1920’s?

3 Likes

Hey guys and gals!

I enjoyed ‘the longest day’ and ‘a bridge too far’ by Cornelius Ryan so much. They were entertaining and informing at the same time. Have you ever come along any WW2 books that tell the Axis’s point of view that you could recommend, preferably by an author that was member of or embedded with Axis troops (apart from ‘Das Boot’)?

Take care!

1 Like

I have a feeling that an absolutely delightful evening could be had in the company of the two of you and several bottles of something both extremely expensive and ruinously alcoholic. How does one go about making such a thing happen?

3 Likes

IMPORTANT: We just found out that we’re not allowed to paste in your questions from this forum ourselves - if you don’t have a chance to join the AMA https://redd.it/8j5mkn and repost the question we will answer all of the questions here as well… so sorry for the mixup.

1 Like

We met- and I know it sounds weird- at a Mallorcan whorehouse over the millenium shift. That really sounds like it’s from Hemmingway, but it’s the truth. NOTE- we didn’t want to be there. We had mutual friends that we were spending the holidays with and that’s how we met each other, but since we weren’t interested in the “merch” at the location, we spent a few hours in the bar talking to each other. Already then we started making plans to film and tell history.

My tattoos? No idea how they got there! Okay, the Astros logo on my left shoulder is the old 60s original logo of the team. The writing below it is an ex-girlfriend’s name in regular writing and in wingdings (and we’re still best pals so I’m not removing them). The other ones have to do with secrets. Big important secrets, so unfortunately I can’t tell you- OH- except the homemade sort of sword thing on my left collar bone. That was a pal when I was 14 giving me a homemade tattoo cause he read how to do it in a fanzine.

2 Likes

Indy says:
I have trouble talking multiple takes the day after smoking cigars, so it would have to be a final take.

2 Likes

Indy: For me… hmm… ww1- gotta be cellucotton. Maybe that’s the feminist in me, but the idea of ALL modern female hygiene products not existing sort of screams “dystopia”. From WW2, it’s Pykrete. If you don’t know what that is, you better look it up.

Sparty: For WWI the gas lighter - changed the way we live every day - just think of lighting a candle, disinfecting a needle. For WW2 Penicillin - if you can call that a technology…. but hey I’d be dead without it.

2 Likes

Indy: General Sedgewick at the Battle of Spottsylvania to his aide de camp while standing on the parapet viewing the action after being warned he was in danger, “Are you kidding? They couldn’t hit an elephant from this dist-”

Sparty: “Anyone who is not confused doesn’t really understand the situation” Edward R Murrow about WW2

3 Likes

Indy: I’m from Texas. Since leaving there as a teen I’ve lived all over till I ended up in Sweden in 1996. Nothing got me interested in history, though- I’ve been that way since I can remember. One day we’ll hit the states, sure! No idea exactly when yet, though.

Sparty: I’m all mixed up… I was born in Sweden, lived my first years as an infant in Germany, then I grew up in France and Sweden (mostly France). Went to American, British, Swedish and French schools, but did my last year of High School and went to college in Sweden. I moved to Germany twenty years ago… I speak four languages fluently, but none of them perfectly (although my English is better than the others and my German nowadays better than my Swedish… my French suffers from not speaking enough, but when I go back ‘home’ it picks up fast again. And Home is nowadays Germany, I’d even say I feel more German than anything else.

My interest for history started on a November day when I was seven years old. My grandfather (he was born 1899) was visiting us in France and we lived close to Versailles at the time. We went to see the palace and nearby there’s a big statue of Napoleon (where in France isn’t there?!?). So grandfather asked me if I knew who he was, and of course I did… you live in France you know who Bonaparte is, right! The he asked me if I new when he lived and like most seven year olds that question sort of stumped me so I answered that it was a long, long time ago. Then my grandfather said something that changed my childhood perception of the world quite violently; “you know I’m your grandfather, and I had a grandfather too, right? My grandfather was born in 1820 when Napoleon was still alive.” (my grandfather, great grandfather and great great grandfather were prone to getting kids at a progressed age). In any case, this thought wouldn’t leave me; that’s not so long ago and I was hooked… I dragged my kid brother into it as well, and six years later on a holiday road trip through Northern France our parents finally asked us if on this holiday we could please, please do something else than visit castles, museums, WW1 and WW2 sites, just for one day :wink:

2 Likes

Adam - I think you’re on to something :wink: Indy said: “easy, just look us up any time!” Seriously though, when we get enough resources to travel for the shows we will always make sure to meet up with you guys. And also we want to have our Timeghost Haunts at some point… but right now we’re lacking a bit of time and money…

2 Likes