America at war! (1941--) -- Part 2

Belief in Nazism costs father child’s custody

Toll of ships sunk by subs declining

U.S. and Mexico sign

Washington –
The United States and Mexico yesterday signed a reciprocal trade agreement, the first such pact between the two countries.

Dive bombers blast Jap Solomons base

Washington (UP) –
U.S. airmen again bombed and strafed the new Jap air base at Munda in a continuation of their day-to-day efforts to knock out that establishment in the Solomons, the Navy announced today.

The latest attack, the 13th since Dec. 9, was carried out on Tuesday (Solomons Time) by dive bombers operating from Henderson Field on Guadalcanal, 150 miles away. Results were not reported.

Millett: Opportunity awaits girls

Little boys no longer ‘stronger sex’
By Ruth Millett

1 Like

U.S. fliers hit Japs in Burma

Bolster British offensive with raids on airfields
By Darrell Berrigan, United Press staff writer

1 Like

pyle

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

Oran, Algeria –
Oran, as a city, is not a bad place at all. But most of the Americans here would trade the whole layout for the worst town in the United States, and throw in a hundred dollars to boot.

That’s the way Americans are, including me. Most of us had never heard of Oran till the war started. Yet it is bigger than El Paso. It has palm-lined streets, broad sidewalks, outdoor cafés, a beautiful harbor, restaurants with soft-colored lighting, and apartments with elevators.

On the other hand, it has Arabs dressed in ragged sheets, garbage in the gutters, dogs that are shockingly gaunt, and more horse carts than autos.

Most of the Americans talk about how dirty Oran is. Which just goes to show they haven’t been around. Oran is cleaner than some of the poorer Latin cities in our own hemisphere. And at this season, it doesn’t even smell very bad.

World travelers had told me that Oran had an Oriental atmosphere, but I can’t sense it. It seems much more like a Latin city than an Oriental one.

You could compare it in many ways with El Paso if you discounted the harbor. The climate is roughly the same. Both cities are in semi-arid country. Both are dusty in the spring and very hot in summer. Both are surrounded by fertile, irrigated land that produces fruit and vegetables and grain. And if you just substitute Mexicans for Arabs, the proportions are about the same.

The population of Oran is actually mostly French, Spanish and Jewish. The Arabs are a minority. They run all the way from hideous beggars up to solemn men in long white robes and bright turbans, sitting in the most expensive cafés and sipping tall drinks. But you see many more Europeans than Arabs.

American forces fight boredom

Our troops are rather lost here, officers and men both. There aren’t the usual entertainments to be had at home and in England. Nothing much is left to drink but wine, and most of the Americans haven’t learned to drink wine with much relish.

The movies are few and pretty poor. There are no dances. There is a professional “line,” but the parents of nice girls are very cranky and won’t let the girls out.

Everybody feels a sense of rage at not being able to talk to the local people. The soldiers try hard with French but it’s not much fun. Officers stationed here at desk jobs are already itching to move onward.

Troops camped far out in the country – which the vast majority are – really are better satisfied than those in town.

Everybody is plenty busy. That is, almost everybody. There are at the moment two correspondents in Oran, and several times that many Army censors to handle our stuff. I turn in one piece a day, and the other correspondent one piece a week. The censors are so bored that when I bring my column in, the entire office staff grabs for it and reads it hungrily, everybody makes flattering remarks, and then we all go out and have a bite to eat.

For some reason, communications from here are faint, you might even say mystic. I can’t find out how my copy is transmitted. The censors themselves don’t know. We write the stuff and send it away with about the same assurance of delivery as though we’d put it in a bottle and tossed it in the Mediterranean. I’m positive I saw a small Arab boy feeding my column to his goat yesterday morning.

We have no word at all from our correspondent friends in Algiers.

U.S. supplies and men fill place

Yesterday, two correspondents arrived from Casablanca bringing the first news we’d had from out there except communiqués. They say Casablanca is a beehive but very dull, and they think they’ll like Oran better.

They say naval aviation did the best job in the original occupation at Casablanca.

Outside of the poor censors, everybody is busy here. The Army’s immense supply organization is working at fever pitch, unloading supplies and getting them started forward.

The scenes at the docks and warehouses are thrilling. It is astounding the amount of rolling stock we have here. There seems to be just as many trucks as I ever saw in America. The coastal highways are good macadam, and our trucks roar over them constantly.

Combat troops that are still bivouacked in this area continue their training, keeping constantly fit by long marches down the highways.

Day by day, the whole of North Africa grows nearer the saturation point with American soldiers, machines of war and supplies. Before long, they will be ready to spill out in a smothering flow over the enemy.

1 Like

Clapper: Christmas 1942

By Raymond Clapper

Jap peril grows on Guinea coast

Allies capture more jungle territory; reporter tells how three U.S. generals were wounded
By Brydon Taves, United Press staff writer

Around world with AEF on Christmas Eve

By the United Press

Bethlehem, Mandatory Palestine –
U.S. soldiers in olive drab mingled with somberly dressed pilgrims on the six-mile road from Jerusalem today, bound for the midnight mass at the Church of the Nativity.

Wartime restrictions reduced to only a few the number of autos on the road from Jerusalem and most of the pilgrims, including the doughboys, made the journey to the birthplace of Christ afoot. Others traveled in a strange assortment of horse-drawn vehicles and some made the journey on donkeys.

War news blared from a loudspeaker in the public square, but the bells of the Church of the Nativity, built on the traditional site of the manger where Christ was born, pealed out the Christmas message in the blackout.

Americans visit shrines

Jerusalem, Mandatory Palestine –
Sightseeing guides experience a war boom today with U.S. soldiers, some fresh from sorties over the North African battlefronts, observing the Christmas season by visiting the shrines of the Holy Land.

They went by scores to see the Holy Sepulcher, the Wailing Wall, Rachel’s Tomb, the Dead Sea, the Sea of Galilee, Jericho and other Biblical scenes near the Holy City.

Parties in Britain

London, England –
Staff Sgt. Frank Mullin of New York, is ready for his Christmas overseas.

Sgt. Mullin wasn’t sure whether he would have to work tomorrow, but if he gets leave, he will attend a Christmas party his outfit is giving. The doughboys will exchange small gifts with the English girls, sing carols and dance.

Dreams of white Christmas

Allied HQ, North Africa –
U.S. doughboys in North Africa are dreaming of a white Christmas – a year from now.

They expect no special Christmas observance, although one Iowa squadron fattened up two turkeys and a pair of geese in their quarters for Christmas dinner. Most of the AEF here, however, will dine on cold mutton.

Yank like Indians

New Delhi, India –
Like most Americans here, Sgt. Charles O. “Chili” Hiller of Dallas, Texas, looked forward today to his first Christmas away from home but the prospect wasn’t too glum.

He said:

I’m starting Christmas with the services under the squadron three. Then with gifts and packages from home, I’m going to an Indian home to help a Christian Indian mother and a Brahmin father play Santa Claus for their three little children.

They’re swell people – almost like home folks. They’re going to have a big log fire and a Christmas tree. We’ll have all the fun – excepting home. I’m going to decorate their tree with a few packages of American chewing gum. They’ll love it.

Hawaii on the alert

HQ, Hawaiian Department –
Hawaii is on the alert today, but Christmas prospects are brighter than last year, when the holiday followed the Pearl Harbor attack by only 18 days.

Fighting men will remain at battle stations throughout the Pacific, but holiday traditions of turkey dinners and Christmas messages from their officers will be maintained.

Parties in Alaska

HQ, Alaska Defense Command –
U.S. servicemen will hold Christmas services and parties with Canadian forces tomorrow in desolate areas where only a year ago there was nothing but wilderness with an occasional Indian, Eskimo or wandering trapper passing through.

Chaplains and United Service Organizations officials were busy with plans today and the Quartermaster Corps was coping with the enormous task of providing “dinners like mom’s” for the forces, most of whom were sending their first Yuletide away from home.

The Royal Canadian Air Force, following an old custom, will have its Christmas dinner provided and served by its commissioned officers who will wait on the enlisted men.

Softball in Cairo

Cairo, Egypt –
Softball games, Christmas trees and religious services will highlight the holiday observances of the U.S. Armed Forces in the Middle East tomorrow and every man will get a pound of beef or chicken and American beer for his special Christmas dinner.

Forces near Cairo will play softball league games today and tomorrow. There was a special movie today and tonight midnight masses will be held.

Another day in Guinea

Somewhere in New Guinea –
Christmas under New Guinea’s blistering sun will be just another working day to AEF forces fighting the Japanese under Gen. Douglas MacArthur’s personal command.

Most Americans have received something from the planeloads of Christmas packages arriving here during recent weeks.

Original Marine forces believed out of Solomons

By Sandor S. Klein, United Press staff writer

Christmas Day to arrive around-clock for AEF

New York (UP) –
As Yuletide circles the globe today, it finds America’s fighting forces on all continents of this war-torn planet, in all climates and every time zone. As a result, the American Expeditionary Forces of this World War will celebrate Christmas around-the-clock.

It will be early morning of the birthday of the Prince of Peace in the battle area of Tunisia when midnight reaches New York today, while on Midway Island it will still be early afternoon of Dec. 24 and on Guadalcanal – across the International Date Line – Christmas Day will near its end.

To many of the 50 or more battle stations of U.S. soldiers, sailors and Marines abroad, Christmas will come earlier than to us. At midnight, Christmas Eve, EWT, it will already be Christmas Day at the following outposts when the clocks will show:

Iceland 3 a.m.
Algeria 4 a.m.
England, Tunisia 5 a.m.
Egypt 6 a.m.
India 9 a.m.
China 10 a.m. to 12 noon
Philippines 12 noon
Australia 1 to 3 p.m.
New Guinea 1 to 2 p.m.
Solomon Islands 3 p.m.
Fiji Islands 4 p.m.
New Zealand 4:30 p.m.

But in Alaska, the Aleutian Islands, Hawaii and other Pacific outposts on our side of the International Date Line, Christmas Eve will come four to eight hours behind New York Time.

President Roosevelt’s Christmas message
December 24, 1942, 4:00 p.m. EWT

Broadcast audio:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt (D-NY)

This year I am speaking on Christmas Eve not to this gathering at the White House only but to all of the citizens of our nation, to the men and women serving in our American Armed Forces and also to those who wear the uniforms of the other United Nations. I give you a message of cheer. I cannot say “Merry Christmas” – for I think constantly of those thousands of soldiers and sailors who are in actual combat throughout the world – but I can express to you my thought that this is a happier Christmas than last year in the sense that the forces of darkness stand against us with less confidence in the success of their evil ways.

To you who toil in industry for the common cause of helping to win the war, I send a message of cheer – that you can well continue to sacrifice without recrimination and with a look of Christmas cheer – a kindly spirit toward your fellow men.

To you who serve in uniform I also send a message of cheer-that you are in the thoughts of your families and friends at home, and that Christmas prayers follow you wherever you may be.

To all Americans I say that loving our neighbor as we rove ourselves is not enough – that we as a nation and as individuals will please God best by showing regard for the laws of God. There is no better way of fostering goodwill toward man than by first fostering goodwill toward God. If we love Him we will keep His Commandments.

In sending Christmas Greetings to the Armed Forces and merchant sailors of the United Nations we include therein our pride in their bravery on the fighting fronts and on all the seas. But we remember in our greetings and in our pride those other men who guard remote islands and bases and will, in all probability, never come into active combat with the common enemy. They are stationed in distant places far from home. They have few contacts with the outside world, and I want them to know that their work is essential to the conduct of the war – essential to the ultimate victory – and that we have not forgotten them.

It is significant that tomorrow – Christmas Day – our plants and factories will be stilled. That is not true of the other holidays we have long been accustomed to celebrate. On all other holidays work goes on, gladly, for the winning of the war.

So Christmas becomes the only holiday in all the year.

I like to think that this is so because Christmas is a holy day. May all it stands for live and grow throughout the years.

EXECUTIVE ORDER 9285

Establishing the United States of America Typhus Commission

By virtue of the authority vested in me as President of the United States and as Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and for the purposes of protecting the members of the armed forces from typhus fever and preventing its introduction into the United States, it is hereby ordered as follows:

1. There is hereby established in the War Department, under the supervision and direction of the Secretary of War, a commission to be known as the United States of America Typhus Commission, hereinafter referred to as the Commission. The Commission shall serve with the Army of the United States, and shall consist of a Director, appointed by the Secretary of War, such officers of the Army Medical Corps as may be detailed as members thereof by the Secretary of War, such officers of the Navy Medical Corps and the Public Health Service as may be detailed as members thereof, upon request of the Secretary of War, by the Secretary of the Navy or the Federal Security Administrator, and such other persons as may be appointed as members thereof by the Secretary of War.

2. The Director of the Commission is authorized and directed to formulate and effectuate a program for the study of typhus fever and the control thereof, both within and without the United States, when it is, or may become, a threat to the military population. The operations of the Commission abroad shall be carried out in collaboration with the Department of State.

3. The Director of the Commission is authorized to employ necessary technical and nonprofessional personnel, and to make such expenditures, within the limits of funds made available to the Commission by the War Department, Navy Department, United States Public Health Service, or other Governmental agencies, as may be deemed necessary by him to accomplish the purposes of this order. Members of the armed forces may be detailed for duty with the Commission.

4. The Director shall take steps to secure the cooperation, assistance, and services of other Governmental agencies; make arrangements for the visiting by members of the Commission of such areas of neutrl or allied nations as may be necessary to further the study of typhus fever; arrange for the analysis, study, and publication of scientific data and material obtained in such field investigations; establish and maintain typhus fever study units at appropriate Governmental laboratories; and procure such laboratory space, clinical facilities, and equipment as may be necessary to accomplish the purposes of this order. He shall collaborate with the Secretary of War, the Secretary of the Navy, the Administrator of the Federal Security Agency, and appropriate civilian organizations, when necessary, regarding the procurement of personnel and equipment in connection with the activities of the Commission, keep the Secretary of War informed in regard to the progress made in carrying out this order, and perform such other duties as from time to time the Secretary of War may assign to him.

5. All Executive departments, independent establishments, and other Federal agencies are hereby authorized and directed to assist the Secretary of War and the Director in carrying out this order, including the furnishing of equipment, transportation, and personnel facilities and assistance.

6. There is hereby established a United States of America Typhus Commission Medal, with suitable appurtenances, which shall be awarded by the President of the United States or at his direction, to any person who may render or contribute meritorious service in connection with the work of the Commission.

FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
The White House
December 24, 1942

U.S. State Department (December 24, 1942)

851R.00/120: Telegram

The Chargé in the United Kingdom to the Secretary of State

London, December 25, 1942 — 2 a.m.
[Received December 24 — 10:41 p.m.]

Radio Algiers has just announced that Admiral Darlan was attacked and subsequently died this afternoon and that his assassin was caught and is being questioned.

MATTHEWS

The Evening Star (December 25, 1942)

Assassination of Adm. Darlan of Axis origin, associate charges

Giraud reported taking steps to maintain order
By Noland Norgaard, Associated Press war correspondent

François Darlan (colorized by Norman)
Adm. Darlan

Algiers, Algeria –
Adm. Jean Darlan, who surrendered North Africa and yielded Dakar bloodlessly to the Allies, was shot to death on the eve of Christmas, and one of his closest associates said today the assassination was inspired by the Axis or its collaborationists.

The Algiers radio announced that Gen. Henri Honoré Giraud, implacable foe of the Germans and Adm. Darlan’s commander of French forces in the North African field alongside the Allies, had taken over “maintenance of order” in French North Africa.

Thus, for the moment at least, the old-school French general who said he preferred fighting to politics stood virtually in the little admiral’s place, at the head of the French in North Africa.

The Morocco radio said the Imperial Council would name Adm. Darlan’s successor tomorrow. The council, set up by the admiral to govern North Africa and “defend the interests of the French Empire” until France is liberated, included Adm. Darlan and these five men, one of whom probably will be chosen: Gen. Giraud, Gen. Jean-Marie Bergeret (former Vichy Air Minister) and the three governors-general in French North and West Africa (Gen. Auguste Noguès of Morocco, Pierre Boisson of West Africa, and Yves Chatel of Algeria).

The Morocco broadcast said Gen. Noguès had left Rabat by plane for Algiers early today to attend the council meeting. It announced that a special mass would be celebrated in Adm. Darlan’s memory tomorrow in the Rabat Cathedral.

Assassin caught quickly

The assassin was caught in the government palace seconds after he fired the close-range shots which took the life of the one-time commander of all Vichy’s Armed Forces, high-placed member in Marshal Pétain’s collaboration cabinet, who said Marshal Petain sent him to North Africa as his deputy.

Bergeret makes charge

Gen. Bergeret, close associate of Adm. Darlan, said the admiral was:

…the victim of an assassin inspired by those who did not pardon him for having taken up arms on the side of the Allies against Germany.

The assassin was said to be 22 years old. There was no official announcement immediately identifying him or giving a specific motive for his act. He used a .25-caliber revolver.

The Federal Communications Commission reported hearing a Paris radio broadcast declaring that Adm. Darlan was killed by a young Frenchman.

Gen. Bergeret called on all Frenchmen to unite:

…for the only fight that counts – the liberation of France.

The general, who was present in Compiègne Forest when the German armistice terms were handed to French representatives in June 1940 and stood by Marshal Pétain and Adm. Darlan throughout the trials of the Vichy government, said that:

All attempts at dividing the population will be crushed.

New realignment in making

Thus, less than 12 hours after the puzzling career of Adm. Darlan was ended, new realignments were in the making. The extent of these changes could not be estimated today.

Adm. Darlan, who brought French forces to the Allied side under an arrangement with U.S. Lt. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower after resisting briefly, but furiously, the Allied occupation of French Morocco and Algeria, was wounded mortally about 3 p.m. yesterday as he was about to enter his office in the government palace.

Five shots rang out in the corridor leading to Adm. Darlan’s office and the little admiral, who had followed Marshal Pétain with almost fanatical zeal for more than two years, slumped to the floor at the doorway.

Adm. Darlan died just before his ambulance reached the hospital. The last sacrament was administered by a military priest.

Adm. Darlan’s body remained through the night in the hospital chapel with a guard of marine officers.

Called for ‘union – at once’

Shortly before he was killed, the admiral had given an interview in which he called for the "union – at once” of all Frenchmen fighting the Axis, but he admitted there are difficulties, even certain opposition.

Adm. Darlan had said the Imperial Council would eliminate relentlessly everything that might risk weakening our war effort.

The assassin had visited the government palace yesterday morning, but left when he was unable to see Adm. Darlan. He was in the waiting room adjoining the admiral’s office when Adm. Darlan returned to his office in the afternoon and fired five shots from a .25-caliber revolver and then started to flee. Adm. Darlan’s aide, Cdt. Hourcade, attempted to stop him and was shot in the leg.

The assassin was captured by one of Adm. Darlan’s aides, Adjt. Andrew Vuichard, when he attempted to leap over the admiral’s body.

Adm. Darlan was struck by two bullets, one wounding him in the mouth and other penetrating a lung.

Entertained tribesmen

Adm. Darlan’s amicable relations with Gen. Giraud, whose loyalty to the Allies has not been questioned and who is approved by the Fighting French, were indicated by the fact that only Wednesday he and Gen. Giraud entertained the Muslim tribal chieftains of Algeria at the governor’s palace. Gen. Giraud returned earlier in the week from an inspection trip in French Morocco.

Gen. Bergeret, in his statement appealing to the French for unity, said:

The designs of our enemies will not have any effect. This crime will not lessen our determination to liberate our country.

Cdt. Hourcade, a marine staff officer, was the only aide with Adm. Darlan when he walked into the palace and met the burst of gunfire. Cdt. Hourcade leaped at the assassin’s throat and the gunman fired at him. Adjt. Vuichard, hearing the shots, ran into the building and struck the young killer’s jaw with his fist.

The assassin told Adjt. Vuichard:

I surrender; my gun is empty.

Tried to kill assassin

Sword-bearing Spahis, who guard the palace, rushed in and tried to kill the assassin, but were stopped by officials. The killer was then turned over to the police. The palace gates, flanked by the marble busts of famous French military leaders, were shut to keep crowds from the scene.

Heavy guards were placed around public and military buildings following the shooting.

Adm. Darlan’s wife arrived at the hospital shortly after his death, but remained only a short time. His son was believed to be in Rabat, French Morocco, where he was flown recently for treatment of infantile paralysis.

The bullet which caused Adm. Darlan’s death struck the tip of his lung and lodged at the point of the heart. Physicians said death resulted from the severing of a large blood vessel.

Death causes grave anxiety here

Roosevelt brands act ‘murder in first degree’
By the Associated Press

The hand of a Christmas Eve assassin, abruptly ending the career of Adm. Jean Darlan yesterday, also ended an international argument over the usefulness of the former Vichy leader to the United Nations’ cause in French Africa.

The assassin’s bullets, however, injected a new element of violence into a situation already complicated and delicate, and caused grave anxiety to government leaders here.

President Roosevelt promptly recognized the menace of such an act in a statement denouncing it as a cowardly “murder in the first degree” and calling for swift and just retribution.

Observers familiar with the role assassins have played in the spread of war and terror throughout Europe watched intently for further developments which might indicate whether Adm. Darlan’s murder was:

1. An isolated act of personal or political vengeance, or

2. The first of a series of assassinations calculated to create an atmosphere of turbulence and terror in French Africa compelling Americans, French and British forces there to concentrate on maintenance of internal order.

Motives not clear

Should the latter be the case, the threat to Allied hopes of driving the Axis out of Tunisia would be grave and immediate.

It was far from clear what motives lay behind the slaying or what persons, factions or enemy intriguers have a hand in it.

One fact on which most reports agreed was that the assassin was a young man – perhaps 20 or 22 – and this description had a most familiar ring. It suggested the typical political assassin who has figured in so many tales of intrigue, revolt and terror in post-1920 Europe – the fanatical young gunman of the Nazi, fascist or Iron Guard school.

However, the Algiers communiqués indicated authorities were still uncertain whether Italian or German inspiration lay behind the deed.

White House statement

There was no comment from the State Department, but President Roosevelt interrupted a quiet Christmas eve observance in the White House to issue this statement:

The cowardly assassination of Adm. Darlan is murder in the first degree.

All leaders of all the United Nations will agree with that statement.

Nazism and Fascism and military despotism hold otherwise. I hope that speedy justice will overtake the murderer or murderers of Adm. Darlan.

Fighting French officials here were shocked by the news of Admiral Darlan’s death, but hesitated, pending receipt of fuller information from Algiers, to suggest any explanation or to attempt any evaluation of its possible consequences.

They showed interest in a report that Gen. Jean-Marie Bergeret of the Imperial Council in North Africa had appealed to all Frenchmen to unite now in the fight against the Axis, but they withheld comment. Nor did they express any opinion on the possibility that Gen. Henri Honoré Giraud, commander of French forces im North Africa, might win Fighting French support as successor to Adm. Darlan.

Mission arrives here

Members of a French military supply mission, who arrived in Washington from North Africa a few hours before Adm. Darlan’s assassination was announced, could not be reached for comment.

The mission, headed by Gen. Emile Béthouart, was understood to have come here to advise War Department officials on supply problems of French African troops. Gen. Béthouart, who has been liaison officer at Allied headquarters for Gen. Giraud, was among the French leaders credited with aiding the Americans and British in the North African invasion.

Regardless of who might emerge as the new high commissioner for civil administrator in French Africa, no basic change in American policy there was expected.

During the weeks of controversy over Adm. Darlan’s status after he cast his lot with the Allies last month, both President Roosevelt and Secretary of State Hull repeatedly made clear that the situation in French Africa was primarily a military situation and that it would be up to the people of a liberated France to decide, after victory, what leaders and what form of government they desired.

Free French coup year ago

An ironic feature of the sudden development in North Africa was that it was exactly one year ago that another sudden development on French territory startled Washington in the midst of the Christmas holidays. This was the Christmas Eve coup of a Free French naval force which on Dec. 24, 1941, seized the islands of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, off the coast of Newfoundland, which until then had been under control of Vichy.

Not since the outbreak of the war ended the interventionist-isolationist debate has any one subject been fanned into as intense a flame as the Vichy-Darlan question.

The Darlan situation itself was fed by the long-simmering ire of many political leaders and well-known writers over the State Department’s placid attitude toward Vichy – an attitude which some commentators said was vindicated in the North African coup.

But when the famed pro-Nazi and anti-British admiral himself was won over to the Allied cause by American persuasion, and the fact that he was to walk side by side with the Americans was announced the storm really broke.

Vandenberg backed Britain

At various times, members of Congress arose to state their opinion and at least one – Senator Vandenberg (R-MI) spoke out openly in favor of backing the decision of the military officials in charge of the North African venture, even if it meant playing along with Adm. Darlan.

Anti-Darlan spokesmen contended that by lining up with the former Axis collaborationist. American leaders would undermine the spirit of the “underground" in occupied countries and arouse distrust on the part of some of our Allies.

Those who took the opposite view held that the alignment with the French admiral gained time and saved lives in the North African invasion, and thus was justifiable. They contended military chieftains on the spot were qualified to judge the wisdom of the move and should not be “hampered" by internal strife over the case.

The storm was still raging when the assassin’s bullets ended Adm. Darlan’s life.

Foe routed from key position on central Tunisian front

Increasing night patrols seen hinting ‘showdown battle’ may come soon

Double Tunisian punch at Axis

Screenshot 2021-12-25 203002
Allied soldiers have thrown the enemy out of heights dominating Medjez-el-Bab (top arrow) in the first significant offensive in Tunisia in two weeks. West of Kairouan (lower arrow) French troops repelled enemy attacks. (AP)

London, England (AP) –
In the first significant offensive action on the central Tunisian front in two weeks, Allied troops were reported today to have driven the Germans from a height dominating the important road junction to Medjez-el-Bab and held the position against enemy counterattacks.

Rome and Berlin communiqués declared that Allied thrusts were repulsed and the German High Command said “a large number of Americans” were captured.

The success was announced by Allied North African headquarters in a communiqué which also reported an increase in patrol activity on the northern end of the front and sharp fighting on the southern flank, where French troops were said to have repelled Axis attacks west of Kairouan.

Reuters reported that the Morocco radio broadcast a French communiqué saying:

In the region west of Kairouan, our troops were violently attacked by the enemy throughout yesterday. The enemy was repelled on the whole length of the front, leaving behind numerous prisoners and a great quantity of war material. American aircraft success fully supported our troops…

Medjez-el-Bab is about 35 miles southwest of Tunis. Kairouan is another 65 miles farther south and about 40 miles west of the port of Sousse, toward which a French column has been reported pushing in an effort to drive a wedge between the Axis forces in Tunisia and Field Marshal Rommel’s army now retreating westward across Libya.

Whether the engagement at Medjez-el-Bab was a forerunner to the long-expected showdown battle for Tunisia was not immediately clear. Action in this area has been retarded of late by heavy rains.

Dispatches from North Africa quoted a spokesman at Allied headquarters as saying there had been a definite tendency on the part of both the Allies and the enemy to increase night patrol operations on the north front.

He said:

We cannot say what it may portend, but you can be sure this state of affairs cannot continue very long.

The spokesman said the enemy was continually moving more troops into Tunisia in preparation for a showdown and added grimly:

Undoubtedly, he’s got a hell of a lot of stuff there.

Just back from the front, the spokesman made it plain, however, that the Allies also were rapidly strengthening their forward positions.

He said:

I was most impressed by the superb motor convoy system which the British are using to move supplies and equipment into Tunisia. They are doing an incredibly good job of moving great convoys day and night through mud over dangerous roads.

The Brazzaville radio, meanwhile, broadcast an announcement that Fighting French forces coming up from the Lake Chad area in Equatorial Africa had routed an Axis motorized detachment in the Fezzan region of southern Libya. The exact locale was not given, but it apparently was some 300 or 400 miles south of Tripoli.

There was little news from the Libyan front, although there was no indication that Marshal Rommel had yet made any attempt at a stand. British patrols were reported engaging Marshal Rommel’s rear guards, but the advance of the main force of the 8th Army apparently still was being delayed by minefields.

Japs are driven back in Buna area to last line of defense

Main positions overrun by Allied forces in double envelopment

Allied HQ, Australia (AP) –
Allied troops, in a double envelopment, have overrun the main Japanese positions in the Buna area of New Guinea and have driven the trapped enemy troops back to their last line of defense, Gen. Douglas MacArthur’s headquarters announced today.

As a result of the maneuver, in which Australian and American infantry, tanks and artillery participated, the Allies now control practically all of the Buna airdrome and have pinned the Japanese down in a coastal strip about a mile long and 500-600 yards wide, the announcement said.

Fierce fight expected

The battle to wipe out the last Japanese forces remaining on the Papuan peninsula thus had entered its last phase, but Allied headquarters indicated that fierce fighting was still in prospect before the goal is achieved.

The communique said tersely of the last Japanese defense line:

It is a prepared and fortified citadel of resistance.

Allied airmen, meanwhile, in a series of operations ranging all the way from Timor to New Britain, were credited with sinking an enemy destroyer and two merchant ships, damaging a tanker and shooting down at least five Japanese planes.

The destroyer was reported sunk off the New Guinea coast near Salamaua while the two merchant ships – one a 5,000-ton transport – were destroyed off New Britain. The tanker was bombed near the Admiralty Islands.

Timor installations bombed

In addition, the Allied planes bombed Japanese installations at Failoro, Timor, and the airfield at Cape Gloucester, New Britain.

Fifteen Japanese fighters jumped the Allied heavy bombers – presumably Liberators or Flying Fortresses – which sank the transport off Gasmata. One was reported shot down and two others forced out of the fight, while the Allies suffered no losses.

Three of nine enemy fighters which intercepted an Allied air reconnaissance unit also were destroyed, and two others were badly damaged and probably crashed. Another Allied reconnaissance plane shot down a Japanese seaplane over the Aroe Islands northwest of Australia.

Gen. Hurley’s daughter weds aviation cadet

San Antonio, Texas (AP) –
Miss Ruth Noel Hurley, daughter of Brig. Gen. and Mrs. Patrick Hurley, became the bride of David Huey Hughes, Army aviation cadet, in a Christmas eve wedding ceremony in Christ Episcopal Chapel. The bridegroom is the son of David A. Hughes of Santa Fe, New Mexico.

5,000 demanding wages quit work at Kearny plant

Kearny, New Jersey (AP) –
Work halted abruptly last night in the sprawling yards of the Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Company when more than 5,000 employees put down their tools four hours before the quitting whistle and demanded their wages.

A score of windows and several doors in the plant were broken during a demonstration at the pay master’s window, said Chief Patrick Dolan of the Hudson County police.

A company spokesman said that preparations had been made to pay the workers at 12:30 a.m., at the end of the second shift. The yards were to have stopped work then for the holiday today.

When the men began lining up at the window at 8:10 p.m., the payroll had not been made up, the spokesman said.

Kearny and Hudson County police established order and the pay envelopes were distributed in less than an hour.