By Gilbert Love

‘Fraternization girls’ of 1918 are gray-haired women now

**And they bring out pictures of first army of occupation
By Thomas R. Henry, North American Newspaper Alliance

OPA places $1,090 ceiling on new jeep

But there’s also extras and taxes

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

George Bernard Shaw, the famous old playwright, who always seems to be losing his temper, just celebrated his 89th birthday.

My butcher told me about it. My butcher said Mr. Shaw is a vegetarian, and that if you want to be 89 years old and smart, the way to do it is to live on carrots and rutabagas, and not come around pestering butchers for steaks and pot roasts.

Personally, I don’t think much of Mr. Shaw’s vegetarian theory. I always wanted George to be literary, so I once put him on a vegetable diet for three months, and at the end of it he still couldn’t write a line.

In fact, he’s been kind of delicate ever since. I pointed out to George that Mr. Shaw spent his 89th birthday working. George said he didn’t mind waiting until his 89th birthday to go to work.

Millett: School plan can backfire

Mother helpers may criticize
By Ruth Millett

Nelson rules as golf’s greatest star

‘Babe Ruth of Golf’ humbles rivals; may net $80,000 season

That about-face decision –
No wonder Argentine rates New York a lair of boxing gangsters

By Dan Daniel

Kaiser’s auto will be made on West Coast

Motor industry to be decentralized
By John W. Love, Scripps-Howard staff writer

Dependency payments end with G.I.’s discharge

Radio and realty in ‘boom’

Mt. Washington may get break
By Si Steinhauser

Youngstown Vindicator (July 31, 1945)

Sen. Capehart: Japs to quit in 60 days or sooner

Girl who dropped 80 floors smiles

NEW YORK (AP) – The elevator girl who fell nearly 80 floors – about 1,000 feet – when the cables of her car in the Empire State Building were snapped by an Army bomber crash Saturday, was alive and smiling today at Bellevue Hospital.

She is 20-year-old Betty Lou Oliver of Fort Smith, Arkansas, who took a job as elevator girl in the world’s largest building while she waited in New York for her sailor husband to return from overseas. She had given notice and was to have quit this week.

Betty Lou was alone in the car when the fog-blinded B-25 crashed into the building Saturday, and she remained fully conscious during the elevator’s terrifying descent. She is suffering from burns, bruises and a possible back fracture.

Anti-collision system discussed before New York crash

NEW YORK (UP) – Less than 24 hours before a B-25 bomber crashed into the Empire State Building, the installation of an anti-collision system on the building to prevent such an accident was under discussion, it was disclosed Monday.

Panoramic Radio Corporation engineers met with Civil Aeronautics Administration officials here last Friday to consider the possibility of installing one of the systems, known as a stratoscope, on the building.

Dr. Marcel Wallace, Panoramic president and inventor of the system, said that if it had been installed before Saturday, radio signals emanating in all directions from the top of the Empire State would have warned the bomber pilot in time to prevent the crash.

2,184 Yanks arrive in New York

Troopship lands 2,300 in Boston today

Editorial: Mr. Truman’s new position

Franco would drop Falange

Seeks to reestablish relations with Allies but hold control
By Leigh White

Stowe: Russia ahead of her allies in building program in Reich

By Leland Stowe

Lawrence: Why so few Jap captives?

Fears figures indicate Yanks kill wounded enemies
By David Lawrence