By Cornelius Ryan

Salary tiff, sharp liner alter races

By Whitney Martin

Soldier fathers from Europe anxious to see children

Series E bond sales lagging

The Pittsburgh Press (May 28, 1945)

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

I received a letter the other day from three salesgirls who feel that the current wave of criticism about the service in stores is unjustified. The girls point out that it’s no fun standing on your feet 45½ hours a week trying to explain to a short-tempered public that there are no cigarettes, nylons, etc., to be had.

Well, if you ask me, it’s about time we gave a little thought to the person on the other side of the counter – the harassed clerk.

I used to work as a salesgirl and when payday rolled around, I didn’t get much. Now of course I’m in radio and married to George Burns. So-o-o – when payday rolls around now, I don’t get anything.

Kärntner Nachrichten (May 29, 1945)

US-Sonderbeauftragte in London und Moskau

Vorbereitungen zu einem Zusammentreffen Churchills, Stalins und Trumans

Der Krieg gegen Japan

378.000 Japaner auf den Philippinen getötet oder gefangen

Alliierte Hilfe für das befreite Europa

1,250.000 Tonnen Sachlieferungen – Das Werk der UNRRA

L’Aube (May 29, 1945)

À Londres et à Moscou –
Entretiens préliminaires à la conférence des trois

Un vote important à Washington –
Le congrès décide de rompre avec l’isolationnisme économique

Sur tous les fronts le Japon bat en retraite

Les Chinois progressent en direction de l’Indochine

« Le camp de Dachau n’est plus »

déclare à l’aube notre ami Edmond Michelet

The St. Petersburg Times (May 29, 1945)

Stettinius sees U.S. as umpire in disputes among major powers

5-point program of foreign policy features speech

450 Superfortresses shower fire bombs on Yokohama in first raid on port

By the Associated Press

French troops fight Syrians near Damascus

map.052845.up
Map shows Near East crisis zone, centering at Damascus with oil pipelines Europeans are anxious to protect. Upper pipeline is controlled by French, lower by British, who are attempting role of peacemaker.

DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) – Street fighting which broke out late Sunday between the French and Syrians in the Arab patriot center of Hama last night had spread to Homs and Premier Jamil Mardam Bey expressed fear a “general clash” might be near.

Best reports places casualties in Hama, 150 miles north of here, at more than 200 with a considerable part of that figure expected to be dead.

The only confirmed report casualties in Homs, 20 miles south of Hama, was the killing of a seven-year-old girl by a Senegalese soldier. Her brother, 15, was wounded.

Reuters said in a Cairo dispatch that Egyptian Prime Minister Nokrashy Pasha had received French minister Jean Lescuyer yesterday and handed him a note for the French government regarding the situation in the Levant. The dispatch said the two men then conferred with Abdul Rahman Azzam Bey, secretary-general of the Arab League, and with an official of the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Shells from French 75’s in Homs sprayed the Saray (the government building) and knocked out on wall. Yesterday, the French had the main street of Homs under continual crossfire and were shooting at anything that moved.

The Syrians ambushed three French armored automobiles near the French garrison on a hill dominating the town from the southwest and captured all three. Six members of the crews were killed and three wounded.

Strength of the French at Homs and Hama is unknown here but it is believed there are fewer than 300 French and Senegalese troops in either place. They are known to have larger number of Syrian levees, who are considered undependable.

Latest reports had Bedouins moving into Hama from the desert to the east and French gendarmes occupying the railroad station.

British authorities indicated that should the fighting flame through Syria and Lebanon, their Ninth Army units now in training might be summoned to restore order.

The sound of scattered firing could be heard in Damascus along with the deeper detonation of mortar or artillery shells.

WPB relaxes limitations on civilian construction

Truman proposes broad expansion of jobless pay

Cremation tests made in murder inquiry

Australian envoy scores proposed world charter’s great-nation power veto

Girls get snappy salutes from G.I.’s

Court overrules post office ban