America at war! (1941–) – Part 5

Probers change but OPA ‘gets it’

East-west linkup may come today

Red columns believed sighted by Yanks
By John B. McDermott and C. R. Cunningham, United Press staff writers

Ernie’s friend wants Ernie, not bequest

LOS ANGELES, California (UP) – Eugene Uebelhardt, 45-year-old Filipino welder, said today that he would give up “every penny” of the $2,500 Ernie Pyle willed him if that would bring back the late war correspondent.

“What is money when it comes through the death of a man like that?” Mr. Uebelhardt asked when informed of the bequest from Ernie, killed last week by a Jap machine-gunner on Ie Shima.

“I’d gladly give up every penny of the money to have my friend back,” he said.

Uebelhardt, whose friendship with Pyle started on a boat just out of Manila in 1922, is working at Consolidated Steel shipyards under the name of Webelhardt.

Pyle, on a tour with the University of Indiana baseball team when he met Uebelhardt, took a special interest in the youth, helped him to enter the United States, took him to his Indiana home, and helped him through school.

End of resistance by July 4 seen

Torture camp inmates start coming to life

Hospital set up for 3,000 victims
By Helen Kirkpatrick

Berlin afire from end to end, flight over city shows

Reporter in U.S. plane sights artillery battles raging in German capital
By Lowell Thomas, NBC war correspondent

PARIS, France – Berlin is in flames from one end to the other. Dense clouds of smoke hide most of the city.

I flew to Berlin yesterday in a P-51 Mustang with a crack pilot of the 67th Reconnaissance Group of the Ninth Air Force.

I saw the city in flames saw the bombardment going on between the Russians and Nazis, and then I raced back across half Europe to Paris last night.

‘When do we join?’

My flight came about this way: For two days I had been with the ground troops near the advancing Russians – with Gen. Terry Allen and his 104th Division Timberwolves, on the Mulde River, with the Russians only 18 miles away, and the Germans in between.

All along the front, the one thought had been: When do we join up with the Russians? An Allied pilot with the Timberwolves brought word that the Russians, some miles to the north, were driving west at top speed. It looked as though the 2nd Armored Division of the Ninth Army would be the first to make it.

Flies piggyback

So, I decided to try to find a fighter pilot who would like to take a look all up and down the front. When I was back with the 67th Reconnaissance Group, they had invited me to do this. So, there I flew in a light artillery plane – and in no time two fast Mustangs were on the line.

In one, alone, was the officer in command, Lt. Col. Dick Leghorn of Winchester, Massachusetts. His job was to fly cover, as they call it – protect us from enemy aircraft. My pilot was Lt. Col. Carl Kraft of Clarks, Louisiana, No. 2 in command of the 67th. Both were in single-seater fighter planes, with me squeezed in behind Col. Kraft. Piggyback, they call that – the most cramped position so far devised by man.

Sees artillery battle

Here are some of the things we saw.

Berlin in flames, but not entirely. Potsdam and the southern side of the city seemed comparatively undamaged. The rest was in flames, from one end to the other.

An artillery battle was going on, heavy guns on both sides going all out – dense columns of smoke blowing over Berlin, concealing much of it.

Recrossing Nazi territory – following the Elbe, and then the Mulde, to where the two join at Dessau – we saw fires every mile or so, indicating that the Russians had advanced to the middle of the German-held corridor between the rivers, or that the fires were started by Russian artillery.

Nazis clamor for refuge in Switzerland

But neutral country bars entrance

‘Tail-End Charlie’ survives 13,500-foot ‘fall to death’

Fortress sliced in two, trapped gunner smokes ‘last’ cigarette, wakes up eight days later
By Leo S. Disher, United Press staff writer

2,250,000 Germans face 13 million Allied troops

Linkup will pit huge U.S., Russian, British, French, Canadian force against Nazis

Yanks 1½ miles from Luzon city

Planes aid drive toward Baguio

Simms: Peace parley like buying pig in poke

No one knows what will be guaranteed
By William Philip Simms, Scripps-Howard foreign editor

Perkins: That ol’ black magic got CIO 2 special Pullmans

And the AFL didn’t even get uppers – manipulation blamed on MacLeish
By Fred W. Perkins, Pittsburgh Press staff writer

U.S. offers plan to split Jap holdings into 2 groups

Military areas would be ruled by trustees, others by international organization

Here’s something to blame on war!

HOLLYWOOD – Warner Bros. planned to use midgets to portray cherubs in heavenly scenes for The Horn Blows at Midnight, the Jack Benny comedy now being readied for release.

But it was found that our modern tiny folk were so worried about the war, food shortages, housing and such, that they couldn’t assume that faraway, angelic expression all self-respecting cherubs are supposed to assume!

At least that is what the casting department had to say about it. several “angelic infants” were finally selected for the cherubian histrionics.

Col. Bruce, bride on honeymoon

Editorial: Today in history

Editorial: Economic isolationists

Editorial: Doctors for veterans

Edson: Stronger world charter sought at San Francisco

By Peter Edson

Ferguson: They also serve

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

Background of news –
San Francisco Conference

By Bertram Benedict