America at war! (1941–) – Part 5

Berlin afire from end to end, flight over city shows

Reporter in U.S. plane sights artillery battles raging in German capital
By Lowell Thomas, NBC war correspondent

PARIS, France – Berlin is in flames from one end to the other. Dense clouds of smoke hide most of the city.

I flew to Berlin yesterday in a P-51 Mustang with a crack pilot of the 67th Reconnaissance Group of the Ninth Air Force.

I saw the city in flames saw the bombardment going on between the Russians and Nazis, and then I raced back across half Europe to Paris last night.

‘When do we join?’

My flight came about this way: For two days I had been with the ground troops near the advancing Russians – with Gen. Terry Allen and his 104th Division Timberwolves, on the Mulde River, with the Russians only 18 miles away, and the Germans in between.

All along the front, the one thought had been: When do we join up with the Russians? An Allied pilot with the Timberwolves brought word that the Russians, some miles to the north, were driving west at top speed. It looked as though the 2nd Armored Division of the Ninth Army would be the first to make it.

Flies piggyback

So, I decided to try to find a fighter pilot who would like to take a look all up and down the front. When I was back with the 67th Reconnaissance Group, they had invited me to do this. So, there I flew in a light artillery plane – and in no time two fast Mustangs were on the line.

In one, alone, was the officer in command, Lt. Col. Dick Leghorn of Winchester, Massachusetts. His job was to fly cover, as they call it – protect us from enemy aircraft. My pilot was Lt. Col. Carl Kraft of Clarks, Louisiana, No. 2 in command of the 67th. Both were in single-seater fighter planes, with me squeezed in behind Col. Kraft. Piggyback, they call that – the most cramped position so far devised by man.

Sees artillery battle

Here are some of the things we saw.

Berlin in flames, but not entirely. Potsdam and the southern side of the city seemed comparatively undamaged. The rest was in flames, from one end to the other.

An artillery battle was going on, heavy guns on both sides going all out – dense columns of smoke blowing over Berlin, concealing much of it.

Recrossing Nazi territory – following the Elbe, and then the Mulde, to where the two join at Dessau – we saw fires every mile or so, indicating that the Russians had advanced to the middle of the German-held corridor between the rivers, or that the fires were started by Russian artillery.

Nazis clamor for refuge in Switzerland

But neutral country bars entrance

‘Tail-End Charlie’ survives 13,500-foot ‘fall to death’

Fortress sliced in two, trapped gunner smokes ‘last’ cigarette, wakes up eight days later
By Leo S. Disher, United Press staff writer

2,250,000 Germans face 13 million Allied troops

Linkup will pit huge U.S., Russian, British, French, Canadian force against Nazis

Yanks 1½ miles from Luzon city

Planes aid drive toward Baguio

Simms: Peace parley like buying pig in poke

No one knows what will be guaranteed
By William Philip Simms, Scripps-Howard foreign editor

Perkins: That ol’ black magic got CIO 2 special Pullmans

And the AFL didn’t even get uppers – manipulation blamed on MacLeish
By Fred W. Perkins, Pittsburgh Press staff writer

U.S. offers plan to split Jap holdings into 2 groups

Military areas would be ruled by trustees, others by international organization

Here’s something to blame on war!

HOLLYWOOD – Warner Bros. planned to use midgets to portray cherubs in heavenly scenes for The Horn Blows at Midnight, the Jack Benny comedy now being readied for release.

But it was found that our modern tiny folk were so worried about the war, food shortages, housing and such, that they couldn’t assume that faraway, angelic expression all self-respecting cherubs are supposed to assume!

At least that is what the casting department had to say about it. several “angelic infants” were finally selected for the cherubian histrionics.

Col. Bruce, bride on honeymoon

Editorial: Today in history

Editorial: Economic isolationists

Editorial: Doctors for veterans

Edson: Stronger world charter sought at San Francisco

By Peter Edson

Ferguson: They also serve

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

Background of news –
San Francisco Conference

By Bertram Benedict

Women’s views to be aired

San Francisco meeting planned
By Ethel Bogardus

Life of WACs isn’t too easy

Millett: Household duties will be old stuff to veterans

Servicemen likely to challenge wives’ matter-of-fact statements
By Ruth Millett

Coal strikes cut U.S. Steel ingot output

104,000 tons lost in first 18 days of April

Poll: Public willing to share food with Europe

Two-year program urged if necessary
By George Gallup, Director, American Institute of Public Opinion

Ex-premier slain, prisoners say

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

Before he was killed on Ie Shima, Ernie Pyle, as was his habit, had written a number of columns ahead. He did this so there would be no interruptions in the column while he was getting material for more. Several more are expected.

OKINAWA (by Navy radio) – One of these days Mrs. Leland Taylor of Jackson, Michigan, is going to be the envy of all her friends. For she is about to come into possession of four pairs of the most beautiful Japanese pajamas you ever saw.

These are daytime pajamas or drawing room pajamas – the kind that some American hostesses wear at cozy cocktail parties.

Mrs. Taylor’s husband, who is a Marine corporal and known as “Pop,” found these pajamas in a wicker basket hidden in a cave. They are thrilling to look at and soft to the touch.

Pop carries the basket around on his arm from place to place until he can get a chance to ship them home.

One morning I wandered down to our mortar platoon and ran onto a young fellow with whom I have a great deal in common. We are both from Albuquerque and we both have mosquito trouble.

This New Mexico lad was Pfc. Dick Trauth. Both his eyes were swollen almost shut from mosquito bites. At least one of mine is swollen shut every morning. We both look very funny.

Dick still is Just a boy. He’s seen 19 months in the Marines and a year overseas. He’s a veteran of combat and still he’s only 17 years old. He has one brother in the Marines and another in the Army in Germany.

Bing Crosby of the Marines

Dick writes letters to movie stars and not long ago he got back a picture of Shirley Temple, autographed to his company just as ne had asked her to do. Dick is very shy and quiet and I had a feeling he musty be terribly lonesome but the other boys say he isn’t and that he gets along fine.

One of the Marines who drives me around in a jeep whenever I have to go anywhere is Pfc. Buzz Vitere of the Bronx.

Buzz has other accomplishments besides jeep driving. He is known as the Bing Crosby of the Marines. If you shut your eyes and don’t listen very hard you can hardly tell the difference.

I first met Buzz on the transport coming up to Okinawa. He and a friend would give an impromptu and homegrown concert on deck every afternoon.

They would sit on a hatch in the warm tropical sun and pretty soon there would be scores of Marines and sailors packed around them, listening in appreciative silence. It made the trip to war almost like a Caribbean luxury cruise.

Buzz’s partner was Pfc. Johnny Marturello of Des Moines, Iowa. Johnny plays the accordion. He is an Italian, of course, and has all an Italian’s flair for the accordion. He sings too, but he says as a singer his name is “Frank Not-So-Hotra.”

Johnny plays one piece he composed himself. It is a lovely thing. He sent it to the G.I. Publishing Company, or branch or whatever it is in the States and I feel positive if it could be widely played it would become a hit.

Tropics hard on accordion

The piece is a sentimental song called “Why Do I Have to Be Here Alone?” Johnny wrote it for his girl back home, but he grins and admits they are “on the outs.”

Johnny came ashore on Love Day and his accordion followed two days after. Now in his off moments, he sits at the side of the road and plays for bunches of Okinawans that the Marines have rounded up. They seem to like it.

Johnny had a lot of trouble with his accordion down south in the tropical climates. Parts would warp and stick and mold and he continuously had to take the thing apart and dry and clean it.

But it was worth the trouble. It has kept Johnny from getting too homesick. He brought it along with him from America just for his own morale. He knew the accordion would probably be ruined by the climate, but he didn’t care.

“I can always get a new accordion,” Johnny said, “but I can’t get a new me.”