America at war! (1941–) – Part 5

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

In addition to today’s column, we will print several others which we have received from Ernie on Okinawa. We believe he would have wanted it this way.

OKINAWA (by Navy radio) – My company of Marines started moving just after breakfast. We were to march about a mile and a half, then dig in and stay in one place for several days, patrolling and routing out the few hidden Japs in that area.

We were in no danger on the march – at least we thought we weren’t, so not all the Marines wore steel helmets. Some wore green twill caps, some baseball caps, some even wore civilian felt hats they had found in Japanese homes.

For some reason soldiers the world over like to put on odd local headgear. I’ve seen soldiers in Italy wearing black silk opera hats. And over here I’ve seen Marines in combat uniform wearing Panama hats.

I’ve always enjoyed going along with an infantry company on the move, even some of the horrible moves such as we had in Italy and France. But the move we made that morning here on Okinawa was really a pleasant one.

It was early morning and the air was good. The temperature was perfect. The country was pretty. We all felt that sense of ease when you know nothing very bad is ahead of you. There is no weight on your spirit. Some of the boys were even smoking cigars.

Always funny sights

There are always funny sights in a column of soldiers moving along. Our mortar platoon had commandeered a dozen local horses to carry heavy pieces. One of the Marines had tea the pack onto his horse with a Japanese oboe – one of those brightly colored reams of sash Japanese women wear on their backs.

And here came this Marine, dirty and unshaven, leading a sorrel horse with a big bowtie of black and while silk, three feet wide, tied across its chest and another similar one tied under its belly, the ends standing out on both sides.

Troops carry the oddest things when they move. One Marine had a Jap photo album in his hand. One had a wicker basket. Another had a lacquered serving tray. They even had a phonograph with Jap records, strapped onto a horse.

Lots of them wore Japanese insignia or pieces of uniform. Later an order came out that any Marine caught wearing Jap clothing would be put on burial detail. I guess that was to keep Marines from shooting each other by mistake.

Orders ‘revised’

There were frequent holdups ahead of us and we would stop and sit down every hundred yards or so. One Marine commenting on the slow progress said: “Sometimes we take off like a crippled duck, and other times we just creep along.”

The word was passed down the line, “Keep your eyes open for planes.” About every sixth man would turn his head and repeat it and the word was sent back along the column like a wave. Except toward the rear they made it comical–

“Keep your eyes open for Geisha girls.”

We were walking almost on each other’s heels, a solid double line of Marines. My friend, Bird Dog Clayton, was behind me. He said, “A column like this would be a Jap pilot’s delight.”

Another said, “If a Jap pilot came over the hill, we’d all go down like bowling balls.” But no Japs came.

Makes harmonica talk

At one of our halts the word passed back that we could sit down, but not to take off our packs. From down the line came music, a French harp and ukulele, playing “You Are My Sunshine.” When it was finished the Marines would call back request numbers and our little concert went on for five or ten minutes out there in the Okinawa fields.

The harmonicist was Pvt. William Gabriel, a bazookaman from a farm near Houston, Texas. He is only 19, but a veteran with one wound.

He is a redhead and the shyest soldier I’ve ever met. He is so bashful he can hardly talk. But he makes a harmonica talk.

Playing with him was an officer – Lt. “Bones” Carsters of Los Angeles. Bones has a mortar platoon. He strummed cords on a sort of ukulele common to Okinawa. It has three strings and the head is always made of tightly stretched snakeskin. It gives you the willies just to look at one.

When we started on again the way ahead was clear and we went that time like the well-known duck and after about a mile we were there, all panting.

Stokes: Many suitors

By Thomas L. Stokes

Othman: Telling ‘em

By Fred Othman

Maj. Williams: ‘Gift’ airports

By Maj. Al Williams

The life of Harry Truman –
‘Capt. Harry’ overruled a colonel to give his tired troops a rest

Truman also showed his ability as a settler of quarrels
By Frances Burns

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

Well, I see where British factories are swinging over from war to civilian production. One factory which used to producer submarine and airplane parts is now producing combs and yoyos! Yoyos… now that’s just about as civilian as you can get.

As you probably know, a yoyo is a top that spins up and down on a string, and I’m trying to figure why, with all their shortages, the British are in such a hurry to make tops.

But apparently Englishmen have a great fondness for tops. I’ve heard them speak to the little things in such endearing terms as “Cheerio, old top,” or “Jolly well played, old top.”

So, Britain will have plenty of them, but personally I just can’t picture their representatives at the peace conference spinning a yoyo.

Monahan: Ginger Rogers and Joseph Cotton in poignant romance at Penn

By Kaspar Monahan

Colbert discouraged and no wonder!

She has to cry and look pretty at same time in scene with Brent
By Maxine Garrison

Javanese joins Army

CAMP GORDON JOHNSTON, Florida (UP) – Latest of the “Internationalists” to undergo a six-week basic training course here is John S. Tarumaselay, a Javanese boy. He formerly served with the Dutch Royal Air Force and later with Holland’s merchant marine.

Millett: Career of homemaker important

Wife of G.I. must be understanding
By Ruth Millett

Change in labor policies urged by professor

Better relations with management needed

Bucs open home season with Cubs

Sewell opposes Wyse on mound – Butcher’s 4-hitter stops Reds
By Chester L. Smith, Press sports editor

Gregg yields two hits as Bums win, 3-1

By the United Press

Philippine ribbons authorized by Navy

Wounded G.I. wins dough and maestro’s job

Aside remark makes him boss
By Si Steinhauser

american_red_cross

Will you give a pint of blood in memory of Ernie Pyle?

The Red Cross blood bank is running behind its quota. Good news has sharply decreased blood donations.

And this at a time when casualties are heavy – both in the European and Pacific theaters?

Many folks have called The Press, suggesting some sort of memorial for Ernie Pyle.

Ernie doesn’t need a memorial. But if one could be dedicated to him, what could be finer than the life of some G.I. Joe – saved from death by a pint of your blood?

Therefore, next week will be Ernie Pyle Week at the Red Cross blood bank. Will you give a pint to save some wounded Yank? Remember, Ernie gave his life.

Won’t you call Grant 1680 and make an appointment to give a pint of blood – just a little tribute to Ernie Pyle?

I tried my best to transcribe the article.

1 Like

War crimes. fun times.

1 Like

Thank you for helping out :slight_smile:

Innsbrucker Nachrichten (April 21, 1945)

Unsere Gegenstöße an allen Fronten

Die Feinde erleiden schwere Menschen- und Materialverluste in Ost und West

Berlin, 20. April – Die Kämpfe an den Schwerpunkten der Ostfront gehen mit verbissener Heftigkeit weiter. Die Sowjets entwickeln dabei einen ungeheuren, von Material unterstützten Massenallsturm ihrer Verbände. Immer neue Kräfte werden von gegnerischer Seite in den Kampf geworfen, so auch an den Flügeln, wo unsere Truppen das Übergreifen des Ringens aus benachbarten Abschnitten verhinderten. Der Feind griff mit zahlreichen Schützendivisionen und acht Panzerkorps allein westlich der Lausitzer Neiße an.

Einigung in der Polenfrage nicht mehr möglich

Von unserem ständigen Madrider Berichterstatter

General Smuts warnt vor kommender Weltkatastrophe

Von unserem Stockholmer O.-St.-Berichterstatter