By John W. Love, Scripps-Howard staff writer

Coal shortage brings drop in steel output

Production declines to 91.9 percent

Navy program calls for 1,200 post-war ships

$25 billion urged by House committee

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

OKINAWA (by Navy radio) – After a couple of days with the headquarters of the Marine Regiment I moved to a company and lived and marched with them for several days. The company is a part of the 1st Marine Division.

At first, I introduced myself to the company commander and he took me on a half hour’s walking trip around the company area before turning me loose with the men.

They had turned in for the night and put out perimeter defenses so no infiltrating Japs could get through and any big attack could be dealt with.

A company was on a hill about 3,000 yards long and about a hundred yards wide. The men were dug in down the sides of the hill. There was a mortar platoon at the foot of the hill, all set up to throw mortars any direction.

Our part of the island had not then been declared “secured,” and we had even received warning of possible attacks from sea that night. So, nobody was taking any chances.

Perfect defense position

“This is the most perfect defensive position we’ve ever had in our lives,” the company commander said. “One company could hold off a whole battalion for days. If the Japs had defended these hills, they could have kept us fighting for a week.”

The company commander was a young man with a soft Southern tongue and his black hair was almost shaved. He was a little yellow from taking atabrine.

He is Capt. Julian Dusenbury from Claussen, South Carolina. He is easy going with his men, and you could tell they liked him. It happened that his birthday was on April 1 – the Easter Sunday we landed on Okinawa. He was 24 that day. His mother had written him she hoped he’d have a happy birthday.

“That was the happiest birthday present I ever had,” he said, “going through Love Day without a single casualty in the company.”

Best of bargain

While I was aboard ship somebody had walked off with my fatigue and combat jackets. So, the ship gave me one of those Navy jackets, lined with fleece, which is actually much warmer and nicer than what I’d had.

On the back it had stenciled in big white letters: U.S. Navy. I had it on when I first walked through the company’s defense area. Later that evening we were sitting on the ground around a little fire, warming our supper of K rations. By that time, I’d got acquainted with a good many of the boys and we felt at home with one another.

We had some real coffee and we poured it into our canteen cups and sat around drinking it before dark.

Lot of laughs

Then one of the boys started laughing to himself and said to me:

You know, when you first showed up, we saw that big Navy stenciled on your back and after you passed, I said to the others: “That guy’s an admiral, Look at the old grey-haired guy. He’s been in the Navy all his life. He’ll get a medal out of this, sure as hell.”

The originator of this bright idea was Pvt. Albert Schwab of Tulsa, Oklahoma. He’s a flamethrower and flamethrowers have to be rugged guys, for the apparatus they carry weighs about 75 pounds, and also they are very much addicted to getting shot at by the enemy.

But to see Albert sitting there telling that joke on himself and me, you’d never know he was a rugged guy at all. I’m not an admiral and I won’t get any medal, but you do get a lot of laughs out of this war business when things aren’t going too badly.

Stokes: Sorry plight

By Thomas L. Stokes

Othman: First Lady’s lodge

By Fred Othman

Love: The ‘Frisco parley

By Gilbert Love

The life of Harry Truman –
New President as boy was avid reader, hard worker but thought little of money

Teacher once jokingly(?) said ‘Harry’ might head the nation
By Frances Burns

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

Now Hitler knows how a vacuum cleaner salesman feels (or used to feel). One after another, the neutral countries are slamming the door in his face.

There’s a fine moral in this. One day Hitler has his foot on everybody’s neck, and the next day he can’t get his foot in anybody’s door.

Spain doesn’t want him. Portugal won’t have him. Switzerland isn’t in the market for any rundown cuckoo clocks, and he couldn’t get into Sweden disguised as a platter of smorgasbord.

About the only prospect left for Hitler is Japan, and I don’t think the Japs will want him around either. With their place undergoing extensive alterations by B-29s, the guest room isn’t likely to be in the best of shape.

Millett: ‘Freedom of separation’ bad dream to Army wife

Wartime married folks will never forget they had to live by themselves
By Ruth Millett

Banner crowd at Buc-Red opener

Ostermueller, Walters opposing pitchers in season inaugural

Cloudy weather prevails –
Stars absent as majors open season

By the United Press

Income tax advice given servicemen

Truman daughter radio singer in capital

Father joined Mary at studios
By Si Steinhauser

No way! A cabinet made by an admiral will have naval men? No way!

Also japan still has a navy?

1 Like

Give me give me article. Me writey.

1 Like

Man… you could ask him for the article and write it yourself. And he will put it.

He is just one man. Writing this. He wrote what he thinks is interesting to him. You could help him.

1 Like

The thing is, that is an interesting article he’s pointing out. I just need the time and some assistance to transcribe said article :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oberdonau-Zeitung (April 18, 1945)

Die große Abwehrschlacht im Osten

oz. Berlin. 17. April – Die große Abwehrschlacht im Osten ist entbrannt. Schon am ersten Tag des harten Kampfes schlugen unsere Truppen zwischen der Neiße-Mündung und dem Oderbruch den Ansturm der Bolschewisten ab. Im Verein mit der Luftwaffe wurden allein am Montag über 270 Panzer abgeschossen.

Auch an der Lausitzer Neiße ist der Feind, nachdem er schon vorher weiter nördlich zwischen Schwedt und Stettin erhebliche Vorstöße geführt hatte, nun ebenfalls zum Großangriff angetreten. Auch hier zerschlugen unsere Panzer die vorgedrungenen Stoßkeile der Bolschewisten und brachten die Stellen, wo den Sowjets ein Einbruch gelang, unter ihre Kontrolle.

Im Grenzgebiete der Ostmark und beiderseits der Donau wurde der Gegner durch Gegenangriffe geworfen oder abgeschlagen. Die Bolschewisten, die westlich der March in Richtung auf Brünn vorwärtskamen, wurden ebenfalls aufgefangen.

Ebenso geringfügig wie die Einbrüche der Bolschewisten blieben die Bodengewinne der Nordamerikaner im Elbe-Mulde-Abschnitt. Die Bewegungen des Feindes blieben im Allgemeinen bedeutungslos. Südlich Magdeburg engten unsere Truppen den nordamerikanischen Elbe-Brückenkopf ein.

Auf dem Nordwest- und Südabschnitt der Westfront werden dagegen einige Geländegewinne des Gegners in den Niederlanden, in der Lüneburger Heide, in Franken und in der oberrheinischen Tiefebene sowie im Ruhrgebiet gemeldet.

An der Italien-Front brachen weitere unter starkem Menschen- und Materialeinsatz geführte Angriffe der Briten und Amerikaner zusammen. Um die örtlichen Einbruchsstellen zwischen dem Apennin und dem Comacchio-See wird noch gekämpft.

Wie sehr sich unsere tapferen Soldaten an allen Fronten und jetzt besonders im Osten schlagen, das beweist wieder einmal am besten der deutsche Einzelkämpfer. So vernichtete der Leutnant Hans Nitsch aus Lautem (Ostpreußen) mit seinem Zuge einer Panzerabteilung in zwei Monaten 58 feindliche Kampfwagen und 54 Pakgeschütze, von denen er selbst 32 Panzer und 45 Pak abschoss.

Unteroffizier Konrad Hantke aus Katscher (Oberschlesien) ist ein alter SA-Mann und gehört der Ausbildungskompanie einer Infanterie-Division an. Bei einem feindlichen Angriff auf einen Oder-Brückenkopf drohten die Sowjets, die kleine deutsche Besatzung zu überwältigen. Als noch dazu vier Panzer heranrollten, entschloss sich der tapfere Unteroffizier zu handeln. In deckungslosem Gelände arbeitete er sich auf günstige Schuss-Entfernung an die Stahlkolosse heran und vernichtete allein durch Panzerfaust alle vier.

Den beiden entschlossenen und auf den höchsten bewährten Soldaten verlieh der Führer das Ritterkreuz zum Eisernen Kreuz.