Gallup Poll exonerated after inquiry

‘Political motives’ charge dropped

CIO’s rank-file lets fund down

Political pot far short of its goal
By Robert Taylor, Press Washington correspondent

New styles bring happy atmosphere of spring

Old-fashioned fabrics given a new twist – necklines inch up to new high
By Lenore Brundige, Pittsburgh Press staff writer

Millett: Pair of historical Manville garbage cans sell at $60, beyond reach of OPA ruling

By Ruth Millett

‘Beautiful friendship’ fades –
Perkins: Higgins and the unions are near a ‘falling out’

Shipbuilder awaits WLB agency’s ruling on whether he can cancel contracts
By Fred W. Perkins, Pittsburgh Press staff writer

Stokes: Ace in the hole

By Thomas L. Stokes

Othman: Vandenberg

By Frederick C. Othman

Love: Your income tax

By Gilbert Love

usspittgoestowar.pp

New cruiser’s green crew seasons quickly

Pyle gets no rest on front porch

San Francisco, California (UP) –
Ernie Pyle, columnist and war correspondent, said today that he was going to cover the Pacific War “not because I want to, but just because something inside me says I’ve got to.”

The 112-pound correspondent said that although friends think he looks very well, he was unable to rest during the three and a half months he spent at his Albuquerque, New Mexico, home after covering the war in Africa, Italy and France.

“It was no rest – not even a total of a half day sunning myself alone on the front porch,” Mr. Pyle said.

Cadet nurse assumes role in Pyle’s movie

Hollywood, California (UP) –
Beulah Tyler, the girl whose face smiles from Cadet Nurse Corps recruitment posters, arrived from Alexandria, Virginia, today to play the role of an Army nurse in Story of G.I. Joe, the motion picture based on columnist Ernie Pyle’s book.

Miss Tyler, a junior cadet nurse at Alexandria Hospital school of nursing, and the only authentic nurse in the picture, was selected for her role by producer Lester Cowan.

She is using her vacation time to aid nurse recruitment by appearing in the film and plans to become a Navy nurse after graduation.

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

I hope that news story about the dogs in Illinois eating up all the soybean auto license plates will be a good lesson for the scientists.

When science starts something no one, including the scientists, knows where it is going to finish. I understand it was a determined alchemist who was trying to turn lead into gold when he accidentally discovered gunpowder. And now where are we?

And I think Thomas A. Edison would have thought twice about inventing the phonograph if he had realized he would be known as the “father of the jukebox.”

Personally, the more I hear about the soybean the more it frightens me. Why, it could become a vegetable Frankenstein. It seems you can make anything from soup to steamships with it. You can eat the soybean, live in it, wear it, and make jokes out of it.

Already science knows how to make mechanical men. Maybe someday we’ll have a soybean husband. But the day I’m looking forward to is when some scientist figures out how to make a scientist out of soybeans. It will serve him right.

Fred MacMurray boosts the WACs

Marshall storms –
Pro grid loop parley results in ‘wait, see’

Steel prices raised from $2-$5 a ton

Increase is first since 1939

Senator takes issue with tax relief plan

Corporate, income cut at same time urged

Navy will resume training of cadets

Newspaper ad launched star’s radio career

Bowes Hour was stepping stone
By Si Steinhauser

Forrestal: Time No. 1 hope of our enemies