America at war! (1941–) – Part 4

Editorial: More about food

…

Edson: Better aircraft needed for private flying

By Peter Edson

…

Ferguson: Truth is needed

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

…

Background of news –
Prisoners of war

By Bertram Benedict

…

Bing Crosby leads box office poll

Gary Cooper second and Bob Hope third

…

Draft urged to pick youths for peacetime training

Closeness of Selective Service to people and success in present war emphasized
By Daniel M. Kidney, Scripps-Howard staff writer

…

Look what Walter Raleigh started –
Mrs. Elmer Davis rolls own – so does chief of protocol

And only 36 years ago, cigarette butts found in Alice Roosevelt’s room caused big stir
By Evelyn Peyton Gordon, Scripps-Howard staff writer

…

‘Muzzling’ charged –
Ickes is ‘hot’ at U.S. trend to ‘rightism’

Secretary may quit, bring ‘explosion’
By Lyle C. Wilson, United Press staff writer

…

Stokes: Echoes of Wilson

By Thomas L. Stokes

…

Othman: Whistler’s etching

By Frederick C. Othman

…

Maj. Williams: Identifying planes

By Maj. Al Williams

…

Many types of rackets lie in wait for unwary servicemen and veterans

Gyps range from ‘pickup girls’ and ‘new friends’ to job salesmen
By Albert Fancher, Scripps-Howard writer

…

Pyle satisfied with G.I. film

Hollywood, California (UP) –
Columnist Ernie Pyle, en route to the Western Pacific after a three-month respite from war coverage, seemed well-satisfied with the movie version of his bestseller, Here Is Your War.

“I really couldn’t tell much about it,” he said, after looking over preliminary “takes” of the film, The Story of G.I. Joe. “It was all in pieces, but it looked like they were trying to do it right.”

Pyle, who came home from the fighting in France for a rest, said he hadn’t had two hours to himself since he got back and actually wasn’t rested at all.

Most of his time, he admitted, was taken by “a thousand and one details,” and a heavy correspondence with G.I. friends overseas.

He read the complete manuscript of his latest book, Brave Men, for the first time a few days ago, he said, and noted in passing that 15 of the men mentioned in it have been killed.

“Fifteen that I’ve heard about, that is,” he added.

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

Well, I’m no Nostradamus (I hope not, because I’d be hundreds of years old). But with the aid of my woman’s intuition, I’ve got a few forecasts to make for the coming New Year.

So, folks, here’s what to expect:

Real girdles will come back in 1945. So will 1944’s laundry… There will be a shortage of admirals and a surplus of ancestors in Japan… The film industry will abolish “B” pictures again… Clare Boothe Luce will attack the administration while wearing a new hat brought back from Paris… Harold Ickes will tell the press what is wrong with it… Our cook will quit. So will yours… Turkey will announce they are coming in on the side of the Allies. Nobody, including Turkey, will believe it.

Majors able to meet draft revision

Review shows call to quit only barrier
By Leo H. Petersen, United Press sports editor

…


Still three touchdowns –
Trojan support recovers after brief flutter

…

J. W. Grigg gets UP post in France

…

Reds asked to explain stripping of oil fields

…

Veteran seeking loan needs credit report

…

Dietz: Blood clotting

By David Dietz, Scripps-Howard science editor

…

Heroines of G.I. shows to star on blind date

Helen Young to head guests
By Si Steinhauser

…