America at war! (1941–) – Part 4

U.S. Navy Department (December 14, 1944)

CINCPAC Communiqué No. 204

Carrier-based aircraft of the Pacific Fleet on December 13 (West Longitude Date) struck at harbor and airfield installations in and around Luzon in the Philippines. Preliminary and incomplete reports show that 14 Japanese airplanes were shot down and 77 were destroyed on the ground.

Bombers of the Strategic Air Force, Pacific Ocean Areas (STRAIRPOA), attacked airstrip facilities on Iwo Jima in the Volcanos on December 10 and 11. On December 12, Liberators and Lightnings of STRAIRPOA again attacked Iwo Jima, encountering intense anti-aircraft fire. Three to four unaggressive enemy fighters were airborne but all our planes returned safely.

Mitchells of the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing on December 10 struck at shipping around Hahajima in the Bonins.

Bombers of STRAIRPOA attacked the airfield on Marcus Island on December 11.

Enemy installations on Pagan and Rota in the Marianas were bombed by fighters of the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing on December 12.

Marine fighters strafed supply areas and barges on Babelthuap in the Palaus and bombed an airfield on Yap on December 11.

Navy search planes of Fleet Air Wing Two encountered moderate anti­aircraft fire in a bombing attack on Wake Island on December 12.

Planes of the 4th Marine Aircraft Wing and Fleet Air Wing Two bombed power installations and fuel dumps on Nauru on December 12.

Fighters and dive bombers of the 4th Marine Aircraft Wing con­tinued neutralization of enemy bases in the Marshalls on December 11 and 12.

CINCPAC Press Release No. 685

For Immediate Release
December 14, 1944

Adm. Nimitz to establish an advanced HQ

The capture of the Gilberts, Marshalls, Marianas, Ulithi and Palau has permitted moving the center of gravity of the operations of the ground, sea and air forces of the Pacific Ocean Areas (POA) far to the westward.

To improve the effectiveness of the control of these forces as their operations converge on Japan, CINCPAC-POA will soon establish an advanced headquarters in the forward area.

Main headquarters will remain at Pearl Harbor.

The Pittsburgh Press (December 14, 1944)

Yanks storm Duren outskirts

Other First Army units to south battle in woods through snow
By James McGlincy, United Press staff writer

B-29s pound rail hubs in Thailand, Burma

New nuisance attack made on Tokyo

Seagoing Svengali gives him the eye –
Skipper has a spell – but cheerful

By William McGaffin

U.S. casualties rise to 562,468

I DARE SAY —
Success story, American style

By Florence Fisher Parry

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

They say that at Christmas time you should remember even your enemies. All right, I hope Santa Claus brings Hirohito one of those Japanese vases large enough for just one blossom – to hold Tokyo Rose.

But I’m afraid Santa is going to be late with those gravel-filled water wings for the Japanese admirals. Most of them have gone to join their ancestors.

As for Hitler, who used to have such a good time sticking pins in wall maps, I hear he is now sticking them in himself. I hope someone will send him a box of large hatpins. I’d hate to think of him skimping along on little thumbtacks.

And Mussolini – I’m afraid he isn’t going to be remembered very well this year. I doubt that even Santa Claus has his address. But Benito loves balconies, so maybe Santa will find him and give him one. One about jump-size would be just right.

Lupe Velez found dead of sleeping powders; note contents secret

Housekeeper finds actress’ body in bed; her last romance ended Sunday

lupevelez.dead
Lupe Velez

Hollywood, California (UP) –
Lupe Velez, Mexican film star, was found dead today from an overdose of sleeping powders.

The body was taken to a mortuary in Beverly Hills.

Police said they had found a note, but did not divulge the contents.

Miss Velez, 33, who had flitted back and forth between New York and Hollywood for several years, had been scheduled to leave for Manhattan again Saturday to take a role in a play.

Body found in bed

The body was found in bed. A package of sleeping powders and a note were on a table.

Capt. W. W. White of the Beverly Hills Detective Squad, said Miss Velez’s housekeeper called the department in great excitement. “Miss Velez is asleep,” she said, “and I can’t wake her. I think she is dead. Please send someone right up.”

The actress was clad in a white nightgown.

House at ‘usual time’

The housekeeper said her mistress had come home at “the usual time” last night.

A doctor and a coroner’s agent were sent to the home.

Her last romance was with French actor Harold Ramond, whom she adored, she said, “because he tells me where to go.” She said two weeks ago:

I am very happy. Harold knows how to handle me. I’ve always been used to controlling men, but I try it with Harold and he tells me where to go.

Sunday, she said it was all over. “I told him to get out,” she said. “I like my dogs better and I’m going to take them to New York with me Saturday.”

The breakup followed a post-election argument, she said. They had planned to go to a party Saturday night. Lupe went alone.

Her greatest romance was with swimmer Johnny Weissmuller, the Tarzan of the screen.

Had series of battles

Their married life was a series of battles and two-language name-callings, after which reconciliations were announced. Three times she filed for divorce before finally going through with one.

Her other romantic interests included Gary Cooper and Guinn “Big Boy” Williams, one of the screen colony’s top polo players.

Her association with Cooper was one of the screen colony’s classics. The quiet, lanky, slow-to-anger and slow-to-speak Cooper was the silent partner of the couple.

Temperaments clashed

At one time they were reported about to be married. She tried to break him out of his strong silent man characterizations, but found instead that their temperaments would never match.

The fiery-tempered actress was born Guadalupe Villalobos Velez in the little Mexican town of San Luis Potosi, the daughter of an opera singer and an army colonel.

She learned English – which she spoke proficiently despite legend that her sentences were sprinkled with outlandish phrases – after entering a convent at San Antonio, Texas.

After a series of dancing jobs in Mexico and Hollywood, she landed her first motion picture assignment – a series of comedies for Hal Roach.

The late Douglas Fairbanks gave her her first chance for a serious acting and stardom role when he selected her as the wild mountain girl for his production of The Gaucho.

During her hectic movie career, she worked for most of the major studios and once traveled to England for a series of pictures. Recently, her motion picture acting had been limited mostly to a series of “Mexican spitfire” pictures.

She played opposite the old-time favorite, Rod La Rocque, in Stand and Deliver and worked for director D. W. Griffith in his production of Masquerade.

Other films

Paramount Studios borrowed her for Gary Cooper’s The Wolf Song. She appeared in other such widely known productions as Where East Is East, Tiger Rose, Men in Her Life and Redhead from Manhattan.

She went to Mexico recently to make a comedy version of Romeo and Juliet with the Mexican comedian Cantinflas.

Her mother, Josefina, who lives in San Luis Potosi, and her two sisters – Josefina and Queenie – with whom Miss Velez lived in Hollywood, survive her. She also had a brother.

Chaplin called to stand but row halts testimony

Comedian gives name and address, then lawyers argue over court costs

Whisker disassembly line is specialty in Philippines

And women – they’re the barbers – operate without conversation usual in the States
By Nixson Denton, North American Newspaper Alliance

Flood control provides two district jobs

Turtle Creek Valley, Latrobe in program

Allies junk ‘Morgenthau Plan’ for Reich

German industry won’t be destroyed

Perkins: Social Security advocates are willing to compromise

Congressional backers would drop or change parts of program to salvage others
By Fred W. Perkins, Pittsburgh Press staff writer

Rocket-carrying ship developed by U.S. Navy

Congress asks explanation of Gallup Poll

Committee head cites New York vote

Peace group opposes compulsory drill