America at war! (1941–) – Part 4

The Pittsburgh Press (August 30, 1944)

Yanks beyond Reims in race for Belgium

Only scattered Nazis oppose U.S. push on German Rhineland
By Virgil Pinkley, United Press staff writer

map.083044.up
Across the Aisne River, U.S. troops today drove toward the Belgian border, as Allied forces northwest of Paris linked their bridgeheads (1) for a drive toward the robot bomb coast and the Germans reported the evacuation of Rouen. In the drive across the Aisne, U.S. forces reached Laon (2), while to the east U.S. columns pushed beyond Reims and were within 90 miles of Germany (3).

SHAEF, London, England –
Two U.S. tank armies, racing unchallenged over the last miles of the invasion roads to Germany and Belgium, stormed into Laon and the cathedral city of Reims today, while Berlin admitted that its troops had abandoned the medieval town of Rouen, guarding the robot bomb coast of northern France.

Powerful armored spearheads of the U.S. 1st and 3rd Armies punctured the Aisne River line on at least two points and were reported fanning out over the rolling farmlands beyond Reims, Laon and Châlons-sur-Marne.

Only scattered and disorganized Nazi rearguards barred the path of the American armor in their sweep for the Rhineland, and official reports indicated the Yanks were moving at a speech that could carry them to the Belgian border within a day or two.

Beyond Reims and Laon, U.S. spearheads were 30 to 35 miles from the borders of Belgium, while other U.S. columns pounding eastward from Châlons were 95 miles or less from Germany.

Planes plaster foe

“We are now witnessing the preliminary phase of the Allied advance on Germany in which the enemy forces are being methodically dissected and forced into isolated corridors, even as we press onward,” United Press writer Henry T. Gorrell said in reporting the sensational sweep of the U.S. armies through the Aisne and Marne Valleys.

U.S. riflemen poured swiftly through the breaches crated by their plunging tank spearheads, while swarms of Allied warplanes ranged before them to bomb and strafe the retreating enemy.

Simultaneously, British, U.S. and Canadian forces linked their bridgeheads across the Seine above Paris into a solid 50-mile front and swung forward 25 miles beyond the Seine to drive an armored wedge between Rouen and Beauvais.

Capture Neuf-Marché

The Allies, smashing directly at Amiens and the heart of the bases from which German robot bombs have been showering down on London, captured Neuf-Marché, 25 miles east of Rouen and 15 miles west of Beauvais.

There was no confirmation of the Berlin report that Rouen had been evacuated, and Allied headquarters said latest advices from the front told of bitter fighting on the approaches to that fortress town.

On the U.S. 1st and 3rd Army fronts east of Paris, however, official and enemy reports agreed that the twin American offensive was making spectacular strides over battlegrounds where hundreds of thousands of men fought and died in 1918 to take and hold a few yards along the Marne and Aisne Rivers.

Drive across Seine

Lt. Gen. George S. Patton’s 3rd Army tanks and riflemen drove across the Marne at Épernay, pushed 13 miles northward to Reims and then swept on more than 10 miles beyond that historic town to cross the Aisne at Neufchâtel.

Simultaneously, Lt. Gen. Courtney Hodges’ 1st Army veterans stormed up from captured Soissons, across the Chemin des Dames, one of the bloodiest battlefields of World War I, and on into Laon, 12 miles above the Aisne. Unofficial but apparently correct reports said Laon was captured and that the Yanks had driven on beyond the city.

The region between the Marne and the Aisne had been reported one of the stronger outer bastions guarding the invasion roads to Germany, but today’s sweeping progress indicated the enemy had abandoned it almost without a fight.

Sedan and the Ardennes Forest, through which the German armies poured in 1940 to collapse France, were wipe open to the American thrust northeast of Soissons, and the Argonne Forest, on the road to Alsace-Lorraine, was 25 miles or less from Gen. Patton’s spearheads beyond Châlons.

A German Transocean News Agency broadcast said the Americans had reached Saint-Dizier, 85 miles from the German border, but claimed they had been driven back by Nazi counterattacks.

Stiffer resistance was encountered in the Seine bridgehead area above Paris, however, and official reports said the Germans were fighting a stubborn rearguard action there.

Claim evacuation

A German communiqué announced that Nazi forces had evacuated Rouen, on the Seine 65 miles northwest of Paris, after destroying all harbor installations and “other objectives of military importance.”

The Germans apparently pulled out of Rouen, where Jeanne d’Arc was burned at the stake in the public market square May 30, 1431, to escape encirclement by Allied armies closing in from the south and east in a drive toward the robot coast.

The fall of Rouen was expected to speed the Allied march on Le Havre, 45 miles to the west, and Dieppe, 37 miles to the northwest.

Capture Longchamps

Another Allied column captured Longchamps, 20 miles north of the Seine and 47 miles from Amiens, so-called capital of the robot coast. British forces were believed spearheading the drive toward the robot platforms, spurred by the knowledge that the sooner they capture them, the sooner the rain of death on their families in southern England will cease.

London newspapers bannered reports that massed Allied tanks were converging on the robot bases, including some from which the Germans were reported preparing to hurl rockets each containing 10 to 20 tons of explosive against Britain.

Front dispatches disclosed that Gen. Hodges’ U.S. 1st Army had taken over the drive northward toward Belgium from Gen. Patton’s 3rd Army.

After capturing Château-Thierry, Soissons, Belleau Wood and other hallowed ground over which their fathers fought and died in World War I, Gen. Hodges’ forces poured across the Aisne River in great strength and stabbed northward to Laon, four-way railway junction 19 miles above Soissons, and 28 miles northwest of Reims.

Both Laon and Reims lie on the main trunk line running west from Amiens over which the Germans have been moving a major proportion of their robot bomb components from factories in the Rhineland.

Gen. Patton’s forces smashed across the Marne at Châlons and captured Lépine, 4½ miles to the east and a little more than 50 miles southwest of Verdun. Marson, eight miles southeast of Châlons, also fell, bringing Gen. Patton’s men approximately 90 miles from the borders of Germany itself.

Broadens wedge

Broadening his wedge aimed at Germany, Gen. Patton likewise seized Vitry-le-François, 18½ miles southeast of Châlons, and Piney, 15 miles east of Troyes.

U.S. infantry also cleared virtually all areas in and around northwest, north and northeast of Paris and advanced to within a mile of Pontoise, 18 miles northwest of the capital.

U.S. forces drove 13 miles north from their Mantes crossing 25 miles northwest of Paris and reached Magny-en-Vexin.

Capture Éragny

Other Allied troops captured Éragny, 25 miles northwest of Mantes.

Only two small loops south of the Seine now remained to be mopped up.

Allied headquarters announced that 92,000 Germans had been captured in northern France by the Allies from Aug. 10 to 25, while a field dispatch estimated German losses in killed, wounded and prisoners since D-Day at upwards of 250,000 men.

Big battle raging in South France

Nazis pinched in trap 100 miles up Rhône
By Eleanor Packard, United Press staff writer

map.southfrance.083044.up
Up the Rhône Valley went U.S. forces, meeting stiffening Nazi resistance in a triangle based on the Drôme River (1). To the east, a German attack from Italy caused the loss by U.S. troops of Briançon, five miles from the border.

Rome, Italy –
A fierce battle raged at the confluence of the Rhône and Drôme Rivers today as U.S. troops slashed at straggling remnants of the German 19th Army and swung a salient across the Drôme in an attempt to cut off enemy forces trying to flee north across the river on pontoons.

The Germans were pinched into a triangle formed by the two rivers, 100 miles up the Rhône Valley, and the Americans driving northward from newly-captured Montélimar.

Cross Drôme

Headquarters described the fighting in the vicinity of Loriol, near the apex of the triangle, as “particularly severe” and both sides were reported suffering considerable casualties.

As one U.S. force hammered the Germans frontally at Loriol, four miles east of the Rhône and a mile and a half below the Drôme, another force drove eastward to Grâne, four miles from Loriol, crossed the Drôme and captured Allex on the north bank.

The flanking movement threatened to cut off the desperate enemy troops, which had staggered to the Drôme after breaking out of a trap below Montélimar, 14 miles south of Loriol.

Capture 45,000

The Germans were losing heavily in the desperate fighting as they attempted to flee northward along the Rhône. In two days, the Americans captured 800 motortrucks and two batteries of 88mm guns on the front around Montélimar.

While there was no disclosure of German troop losses in the battles on the Rhône, an Allied communiqué reported that the number of prisoners taken in southern France had reached 45,000, of which 10,000 were seized at Marseille.

In occupying Montélimar, the Americans captured Maj. Gen. Otto Richter, commander of the 198th Infantry Division, which prisoners said was recently transferred to southern France after being mauled in Russia. He was the sixth German general captured on this front in addition to VAdm. Ruhfus, naval commander at Toulon, who surrendered to the French.

As the Americans continued their steady drive up the east side of the Rhône to within 13 miles of Valence, French troops of the 7th Army forged northward on the west bank of Bagnols, 18 miles northwest of Avignon and 28 miles southwest of Montélimar.

French and U.S. troops of the 7th Army have liberated more than 20,000 square miles of territory since they landed Aug. 15.

Although the German 19th Army has been written off as a virtually complete loss, the Germans moved reinforcements from Italy into France and recaptured the town of Briançon, where an Allied spearhead had thrust to within five miles of the Franco-Italian border. The Americans withdrew only to the southern outskirts of Briançon, but this left an important road junction under German control.

Eliminate pocket

Headquarters did not indicate the strength of the German forces from Italy, but only several days ago Allied patrols sighted what were believed to be German panzer divisions moving westward north of Turin, which is about 50 miles northeast of Briançon.

The loss of the town was the first acknowledgment by ground officers that the Germans were moving troops from Italy.

The communiqué also disclosed that U.S. troops in consolidating their positions in the lower Argonne Valley occupied the village of Valréas, 16 miles southeast of Montélimar. The move eliminated an enemy pocket bypassed in the drive northward.

Roosevelt urges quick peace body

Wants council that will choke off wars

Punishment pledged for ‘outrages’

Washington (UP) –
Secretary of State Hull today denounced German ill-treatment of civilians in Warsaw and promised that the Nazis responsible for “the present outrages” will be punished.

Last night, the U.S. and British governments declared that Germans who fail to treat soldiers of the Polish Home Army according to the rules of war would face trial and punishment by the Allies as war criminals.

U.S. warns –
‘Mine strikes peril lives of soldiers’

Steel output also hit; seizure indicated
By Robert Taylor, Press Washington correspondent

Ammunition sale ban lifted by WPB

americavotes1944

parry3

I DARE SAY —
Say, Mr. Willkie!

By Florence Fisher Parry

I am worried and I am uneasy and I am embarrassed a little about Mr. Willkie. Four years is too short a time in which to have to reconstruct one’s human fealties.

I’ve been trying to figure out just when it was that I began to feel – well – a little less valiant about him. It couldn’t have been so very long ago, come to think of it. When he was out there in Wisconsin beginning to get hoarse all over again for the things he kept on believing – I was for him.

When he dropped out after Wisconsin, I felt pretty bad, but I said, “Well, here’s a realist for once who is big enough to step down. And NOW what a performance he’ll give.”

I could hardly wait to get the papers, to read when he was going to begin the fight to restore to us the two-party system and the traditions of this Republic. I took for granted his big-mindedness, his farsightedness, so that such a thing as his not pitching in right away with his horse voice and fighting the same things he fought four years ago never occurred to me! How could it? Wasn’t he four years older and bigger and wiser and fighting-er now?

False whisper?

So, I waited for the papers to tell me. And I waited and I waited and I’m still waiting.

When they started to whisper that he was going over to the administration, I didn’t believe it, of course.

Then the other day news came out he was going to confer with Tom Dewey’s top advisor, John Foster Dulles. I had the funniest feeling that he was – oh, I don’t know – open to persuasion. Not exactly bargaining. No, he wouldn’t do that. But (shall we way?) “open-minded” like those men you see on the racetrack who haven’t placed their bets yet.

And it just began to dawn on me that I’ve never known or read of any great man in history about whom there was any general speculation as to just where he stood when it came to a great issue. There has never been a great American about whom there was any doubt as to how he was going to cast his ballot when it came election time, or whom he was going to support or oppose. Not one of them was THAT open-minded!

And when it came to a time of national crisis, and history itself came plumb up to a fork in the road and had to take a course either right or left. I never heard of a really great man who stopped for a minute to wait to see what other folks were going to do.

Two months to go

Here it is practically September, two months before a presidential election, two months only for this country to decide the biggest question it ever had put before it in its whole perilous history.

What are you waiting for, Mr. Willkie? Don’t you know that negation carries its own weight, and delay its own oblique influence?

This is a time to hew to the line. The issues are crystal clear. You support the Republican ticket or you support the Democratic ticket. You want Tom Dewey or you want Franklin Roosevelt, and the Party each represents.

This is no time for split tickets or split politics or split fealties. This is a time when you have to be either for the New Deal and everything that goes with it, or against it with all the passion and fervor and sweat it takes a throw it out. This is no time to nurse grievances or bruises. This is a time to fight.

I keep remembering, Mr. Willkie, those words you said in the Commodore Hotel on the moment of your defeat nearly four years ago. You said in effect that you’d never stop fighting; that those who thought you would didn’t know you.

That the day should ever come when you would stall!

americavotes1944

Pinchot plans to take stump for Roosevelt

May make several speeches in state
By Kermit McFarland

Gifford Pinchot, twice Governor of Pennsylvania under Republican colors, will support President Roosevelt for a fourth term.

Mr. Pinchot announced his decision after a conference with the President at the White House yesterday.

In a formal statement, the former Governor said:

In this great crisis, the choice between Roosevelt and Dewey is like choosing between a veteran leader of many battles and a raw recruit who never has shouldered a rifle or fired a gun. I am for the man who knows how.

For Roosevelt in 1940

Mr. Pinchot, who was 79 Aug. 11, will take the stump for the President. One or more speeches will probably be made in Pennsylvania.

In 1940, the former Governor supported Mr. Roosevelt and delivered a major speech in Pittsburgh. Four years before, he supported Governor Alf M. Landon, the Republican nominee.

In 1932, when Mr. Roosevelt was elected the first time, Mr. Pinchot, then Governor, kept silent until the morning after election when he issued a statement which said in effect the Republicans deserved the defeat they suffered.

At Governor’s Conference

Three months ago, the ex-Governor attended the Conference of Governors at Hershey. As an “ex,” he did not go to the formal business sessions of the meeting, but he and Mrs. Pinchot spent three days at the Hershey Hotel hobnobbing with the governors from other states and with Pennsylvania acquaintances.

It was evident his primary purpose was to “get a line” on Governor Thomas E. Dewey of New York. Mr. Pinchot said then he was undecided about which candidate to support for President.

Veteran of 30 years in the political wars of Pennsylvania and the nation, Mr. Pinchot has never fully retired, although his last public appearance in politics was his activity in the 1940 campaign.

Packs oratorical punch

While he lacks the fire of his earlier days, Mr. Pinchot, despite an attack of pneumonia last winter, still packs an oratorical punch.

Although he has no longer even the skeleton of a political organization in Pennsylvania, his participation in the campaign will add color and interest.

Mrs. Pinchot may also take an active hand in the campaign.

Danger of depression

In his statement, the former Governor also said:

Once again, the danger is that depression will follow war. With his experience, Roosevelt can make sure the people will have job and prosperity when this war is done…

No other living man is so well fitted as Roosevelt, by contact and knowledge, to lead us to permanent peace and freedom, welfare and happiness of our fighting men and our workers, ourselves and our children when war is done.

Employers get ‘simplified’ new tax form

Deductions ‘figured’ for employees

Six Congressional medals awarded

Snipers cleared from Paris roofs

De Gaulle reiterates election promise
By Edward W. Beattie, United Press staff writer

Navy gets 65,000 ships in five years

Phenomenal growth told by Forrestal

Boys of French resistance don’t pamper prisoners

They know horror of German occupation, many have lost homes to Nazis
By Judy Barden, North American Newspaper Alliance

U.S. planes blast Kiel and Bremen

Robot bomb sites near Calais also hit

Japs’ East Indies base hammered

By the United Press

British troops two miles from Gothic Line

Eighth Army ready to begin assault

Much ado about nothing –
Stokes: Reporters get their day with diplomats – and how!

Dumbarton Oaks press conference is anything but enlightening to writers
By Thomas L. Stokes, Scripps-Howard staff writer

Poll: Parties split on health of Roosevelt

Excellent – Democrats; not do good – foes
By George Gallup, Director, American Institute of Public Opinion

Kuhn, ex-Bundist, joins hunger strike

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

Paris, France – (by wireless)
As we drove toward Paris from the south, hundreds of Parisians – refugees and returning vacationists – rode homeward on bicycles amidst the tanks and big guns.

Some Frenchmen have the facility for making all of us Nervous Nellies look ridiculous. There should be a nonchalant Frenchman in every war movie. He would be a sort of French Charlie Chaplin. You would have tense soldiers crouching in ditches and firing from behind low walls. And in the middle of it you would have this Frenchman, in faded blue overalls and beret and with a nearly burned-up cigarette in his mouth, come striding down the middle of the road past the soldiers.

I’ve seen that very thing happen about four times since D-Day, and you never can see it without laughing.

Well, the crowds were out in Paris like that while the shooting was still going on. People on bicycles would stop with one foot on the pavement to watch the firing that was going on right in that block.

As the French 2nd Armored Division rolled into the city at dangerous speed, I noticed one tank commander, with goggles, smoking a cigar, and another soldier in a truck playing a flute for his own amusement. There were also a good many pet dogs riding into the battle on top of tanks and trucks.

Amidst this fantastic Paris-ward battle traffic were people pushing baby carriages full of belongings, walking with suitcases, and riding bicycles so heavily loaded with gear that if they were to lay them down, they had to have help to lift them upright.

And in the midst of it was a tandem bicycle ridden by a man and a beautiful woman, both in bright blue shorts, just as though they were holidaying – which undoubtedly they were.

Each tank sort of social center

You never saw so many bicycles in your life as in Paris. And they rig up the funniest contraptions on them, such as little two-wheeled carts which they tow behind. And we saw a wagon rigged up so it could be pulled by two bicyclists riding side by side, like a team of horses.

For 24 hours tanks were parked on the sidewalks all over downtown Paris. They were all manned by French soldiers, and each tank immediately became a sort of social center.

Kids were all over the tanks like flies. Women in white dresses climbed up to kiss men with grimy faces. And early the second morning we saw a girl climbing sleepily out of a tank turret.

French soldiers of the Armored Division were all in American uniforms and they had American equipment. Consequently, most people at first thought we few Americans were French. Then, puzzled, they would say, “English?” and we would say, “No, American.” And then we would get a little scream and a couple more kisses.

Every place you stopped, somebody in the crowd could speak English. They apologized for not inviting us to their homes for a drink, saying they didn’t have any. Time and again they would say, “We’ve waited so long for you!” It almost got to be a refrain.

One elderly gentleman said that although we were long in reaching France we had come swiftly since then. He said the people hadn’t expected us to be in Paris for six months after invasion day.

There are not many American soldiers in Paris. And it’s unlikely there will be, at least for some time, because they are out over France going on with the war.

Paris was not a military objective; its liberation so soon was more of a symbol. That’s the reason the French Armored Division was assigned to the job.

Hotel life strange to Ernie

The armies still fighting in the field were practically deserted for a few days by the correspondents, as we all wanted to get in on the liberation of Paris. There were so many correspondents it got to be a joke, even among us. I think at least 200 must have entered the city that first day. both before and after the surrender.

The Army had picked out a hotel for us ahead of time, and it was taken over as soon as the city surrendered. But though it was a big hotel it was full before dark the first day, so they have taken over another huge one across the street.

Hotel life seems strange after so long in the field. My own room is a big corner one, with easy chairs, a soft bed, a bathroom and maid and hall-porter service. There is no electricity in the daytime, no hot water anytime and no restaurant or bar, but outside of that the hotel is just about like peacetime.

Sitting here writing within safe walls, and looking out the window occasionally at the street thronged with happy people, it is already hard to believe there was a war; even harder to realize there still is a war.

americavotes1944

President to open campaign at Teamsters Union dinner

Rules out nationwide tour, but leaves door open for visits to key states

Washington (UP) –
President Roosevelt has chosen a dinner here Sept. 23 given by labor leaders for the first outright political speech in his fourth-term campaign, but he ruled out a nationwide tour because he has too much to do.

The dinner is being given by Daniel Tobin, president of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (AFL), for officers of state, district and local affiliates of the union.

David D. Beck, vice president of the union, said no other distinguished officials would be invited. He pointed out that Mr. Roosevelt addressed the union’s convention here in September 1940 and that the invitation was renewed this year as a matter of courtesy.

May visit some states

“Nothing about politics was said in the invitation to the President,” Mr. Beck said. When advised that the President had stated that the speech could be labeled political, Mr. Beck replied: “That’s up to him.”

Asked whether the speech might be intended to cement the labor vote behind Mr. Roosevelt in November, Mr. Beck answered: “He’s already got it.”

He said he had not yet decided whether he would make other political speeches. Observers pointed out that the decision against a nationwide tour would not preclude Mr. Roosevelt from campaigning personally in Pennsylvania and New York, or in other states where the presidential decision may be close in November.

Attempt to woo AFL?

The fact that radio time for the President’s speech to the Teamsters will be paid for by the Democratic National Committee interested observers here in light of the confusion resulting from the address he delivered at Bremerton, Washington.

Some political experts sought to interpret the President’s acceptance of the Teamsters’ invitation as an attempt to swing AFL unions into the fourth-term camp. Unlike the CIO which is openly and vigorously supporting a fourth term, the AFL is not officially backing either party candidate.

americavotes1944

Hillman accused by Harvey Taylor

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (UP) –
Republican State Chairman M. Harvey Taylor today accused Sidney Hillman, national chairman of the CIO Political Action Committee, of desiring “a 100 percent mortgage” on the Democratic Party.

Denying testimony which Mr. Taylor said Mr. Hillman gave in Washington before a House committee investigation of campaign expenditures, the State Chairman said:

Hillman’s so-call nonpartisan group is playing for big stakes. They don’t care how a man votes just so he votes for Roosevelt; that makes them as nonpartisan as a professional bodyguard.

They say they have no purge list in the coming election, but the records shows they’ve always been around with a financial blackjack when there is a Republican skull to crack.

Hillman also tells us he wants no credit if Roosevelt is elected. He won’t need it – a $6 million slush fund establishes a high credit rating in any league. If Roosevelt wins and Hillman becomes America’s labor dictator all the other union leaders will have to come to Sidney with a tin cup.

If Hillman is really sincere in his desire to remove the Communist stain from his Political Action group, his resignation as chairman would be an admirable step in that direction. He could also renounce his Communist associates.

americavotes1944

Dewey plans seven talks in tour of nation

Will open campaign trip at Philadelphia

Chicago, Illinois (UP) –
Governor Thomas E. Dewey, Republican presidential candidate, will make his first nationwide campaign next month, during which he will make seven major addresses and confer with party leaders, Republican National Committee Chairman Herbert Brownell Jr. announced today.

Mr. Dewey’s tour, which includes a visit with his mother at his hometown of Owosso, Michigan, will begin at Philadelphia Sept. 7, where he will make a nationwide radio address, his first since he accepted the nomination at Chicago two months ago, and will end with his return to Albany, Sept. 28.

He will cover 21 states and deliver major speeches at Louisville, Seattle, Portland (Oregon), San Francisco, Los Angeles and Oklahoma City, in addition to the one at Philadelphia.

In addition to his addresses, Mr. Brownell said Governor Dewey will confer with Republican governors as well as industrial, agricultural and other groups during stops in ten states. The entire trip will be made by train.

Governor Dewey’s Philadelphia address will be broadcast over NBC and CBS from 10:00 to 10:30 p.m. ET. While in Pennsylvania, Governor Dewey will confer with Governor Edward Martin and other party leaders.

The second stop will be at Louisville where he will address the National Federation of Republican Women’s Clubs Sept. 8, and confer with Governor Simeon Willis.

Governor Dewey will confer with Governor Harry F. Kelly at Lansing, Michigan, the following day and then will journey to Owosso.

Leaving Owosso the following day, Governor Dewey will go to Des Moines, Iowa, for conferences with Governor Bourke Hickenlooper and agricultural leaders Sept. 11, and then will proceed to Valentine, Nebraska, to confer with leaders of ranching and cattle-raising groups at the ranch home of former Governor Sam R. McKelvie, director of the western division office of the Republican National Committee in Chicago.

Governor Dewey will remain at Valentine until Sept. 14, when he will leave for Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, arriving there Saturday for conferences with Governor C. A. Bottolfsen and leaders of lumber, agricultural and other organizations. He will leave in the afternoon for Spokane and conferences with Washington leaders the same day.

The party will arrive at Seattle Monday, Sept. 18, where Governor Dewey will speak that night.

Governor Dewey will speak from Portland the following night and then will go to San Francisco for another address Sept. 21. The following night, he will speak in Los Angeles and then will go to Oklahoma City for an address there Monday, Sept. 25.

From Oklahoma City, Governor Dewey will return to Albany.

americavotes1944

Becomes election issue –
Pearl Harbor blame put on Roosevelt

Montpelier, Vermont (UP) –
Clarence Budington Kelland, Republican National Committeeman for Arizona, told the Vermont State Republican Convention today that the “odium” of the Jap attack on Pearl Harbor must attach itself to President Roosevelt as “the highest authority which permitted the condition to exist.”

Mr. Kelland charged the President with allowing Pearl Harbor to “drowse and dance instead of being alert to repel attack,” with the neglect of elementary precautions and the congregation of U.S. naval vessels “in a single spot… like sitting ducks.”

He asked:

Why dare they not bring to trial the Army and Navy officers charged with the guilty responsibility for that disaster?

Why, knowing the awful extent of the disaster, did the Commander-in-Chief in a speech to the nation declare that the sinking of our fleet in Pearl Harbor would have no appreciable effect upon the war in the Pacific?.. He knew that as a result of the sinking of our fleet Japan was free to attack innumerable islands, make wide conquests, invade Burma, capture Hong Kong and Singapore, while we looked on helpless.

Mr. Kelland asked:

Why, knowing the imminence of war, did the Commander-in-Chief neglect the Philippine Islands and fail to garrison and supply them for defense?

Guam issue is defended

Washington (UP) –
A new Republican demand for “the truth about Pearl Harbor” was voiced by Rep. Frank B. Keefe (R-WI) yesterday in charging that the administration sought to evade the issue by blaming Congress for failure to fortify Guam.

Congress did not fail to fortify Guam because neither the President nor the Navy Department asked it to, he asserted in a speech on the House floor.