America at war! (1941–) – Part 4

U.S. Navy Department (November 17, 1944)

Communiqué No. 554

Based on reports – necessarily incomplete due to the necessity of radio silence for certain fleet units and the impossibility of having some officers in attendance at evaluation conferences because of continuing operations of fleet units – the following information is now available on the second Battle of the Philippines:

I. A series of naval engagements and, in terms of victory, ones which may turn out to be among the decisive battles of modern times, were won by our forces against a three-pronged attack by the Japanese in an attempt to prevent our landings in the Philippine Islands.

The fact is known. Progress of the three-day battle which began October 23 was promptly reported to the American public as far as military security permitted. It is now possible to give a chronological and diagrammatic review of the second Battle of the Philippines, which left the United States Fleet in command of the eastern approaches to the Philippines, providing support for Gen. MacArthur’s invading forces and maintaining without interruption the seaborne supply lines pouring men and munitions into the combat area.

The Japanese are still wondering what hit them. It is impossible, therefore, to identify the composition of our naval forces or to describe the damage – other than losses – suffered by us in the three-day fight. All damage, however, was remediable and some of the U.S. ships hurt in the fight are already back on duty.

We lost one light carrier, the USS PRINCETON (CVL-23), two escort carriers, the USS ST. LO (CVE–63) and USS GAMBLER BAY (CVE-73), two destroyers, the USS JOHNSTON (DD-557) and USS HOEL (DD-533), and one destroyer escort, the USS SAMUEL B. ROBERTS (DE-413) and a few lesser craft.

Against this, the Japanese definitely lost two battleships, four carriers, six heavy cruisers, two light cruisers, and an undetermined number of destroyers. These ships were seen to go down. So severely damaged that they may have sunk before reaching port, and in any event removed from action for from one to perhaps six months, were one Japanese battleship, three heavy cruisers, two light cruisers and seven destroyers. In addition, damaging hits were noted on six battleships, four heavy cruisers, one light cruiser and 10 destroyers.

The victory not only made possible the continuing supply of men and munitions to Gen. Douglas A. MacArthur’s successful invasion forces, but by its magnitude can conservatively be said to have greatly reduced future casualties in both men and waterborne equipment.

Like all battles, this one did not just happen. The engagements, in one of which surface ships slugged it out against each other, and in which the far-ranging carrier-borne U.S. aircraft both intercepted and pursued enemy ships with conspicuous success, were preceded by a series of other actions which fall into a definite, strategic pattern when reviewed in order.

II. Preliminaries to the showdown battle can be said to have opened with the landings on Peleliu and Morotai, southwest of the Philippines, on September 16. These landings in themselves were preceded by a two‑weeks’ series of feints and thrusts, by VAdm. Marc A. Mitscher’s carrier task force of the Third Fleet, which kept the Japanese forces off balance while whittling down their aerial strength by some 900 planes.

These successes indicated the feasibility of advancing the date for the invasion of the Philippines, and the date of October 20 was set by Gen. MacArthur in consultation with Adm. Nimitz and approved by the High Command.

However, a great deal of hard, tough work had to be accomplished first, As much damage as possible had to be inflicted upon the enemy over the widest available area guarding the Philippines. Additionally, by hitting the Japanese hard, and again and again, the enemy was to be confused, and kept confused, as to the ultimate objective of our far-ranging forces.

On October 9, surface forces bombarded Marcus Island, and on the following day a carrier task force struck at Okinawa, in the Nansei-Shotō group, about 1,500 miles to the westward. The Japanese defenders were caught off base each time, losing 82 planes at Okinawa and 46 ships, not counting 11 probably destroyed.

On October 11, while the enemy was still trying to figure out what had hit him to the northward, the airplanes of one carrier group swept over the northern part of Luzon, main island of the Philippine Commonwealth, while the other carrier forces were refueling. That strike cost the Japanese 10 to 15 airplanes destroyed on the ground. Enemy opposition was inconsequential.

Three times, in as many days, U.S. forces had struck at three different and widely separated strongholds of the enemy. On the fourth day, October 12, a fleet appeared in the enemy’s own backyard, off the island of Formosa, from which the aerial attack against the Philippines had been launched by the Japanese nearly three years before. Our objectives were the 26 to 30 first-class military airfields on Formosa, the airplanes based there, and, of course, any other military establishments on shore and the enemy shipping in the harbors.

Our fleet maneuvered in the vicinity of Formosa for three days, October 12, 13 and 14. Fifty-five enemy vessels of all kinds were certainly destroyed, and 32 were probably sunk, while approximately 396 airplanes were destroyed in the air or on the ground. On the last day, and on October 16, Formosa was additionally the target of U.S. Army B-29s, flying from China.

The effrontery of the attack on Formosa from the sea provoked the Japanese into immediate counteraction. Strong units of bomber and torpedo planes swept down from the islands of the Empire, to be met and broken up by fighters from our carriers. Two Japanese planes which forced their way through found targets in a couple of U.S. medium-size ships, which were damaged by torpedoes but which successfully retired to the eastward.

Now comes one of the most fantastic chapters of the war. The Japanese aviators who managed to reach home reported an amazing victory, and Tokyo was quick to claim – for the fifth or sixth time – that the naval strength of the United States had been rendered puny. But this time the Japanese believed their own propaganda, that at least 15 carriers had been sunk and varying quantities of other warships.

A task force of the Japanese Navy was sighted leaving the Empire to give the American fleet its coup de grâce, but when the astonished pilots of the enemy scouting force saw the size of the healthy opposition deploying to receive them, the Japanese expedition wheeled and ran back to the safer waters of the Empire. Adm. Halsey ironically observed that his ships sunk by Jap radio announcement had been salvaged, and were “retiring at high speed toward the Japanese fleet.”

On October 14, our carrier planes began working over the Philippine island of Luzon, and the lesser islands of the archipelago to the south and east, in order to come into immediate support of the amphibious forces approaching for the invasion. Only about 85 enemy planes were bagged in the sweeps over approximately 100 airfields up to the time our carriers, both the large and fast ones and the smaller escort ships, converged in support of the landings of U.S. amphibious forces on Leyte. The strategy had succeeded, and the landings were effected by Gen. MacArthur’s forces in complete surprise.

III. The invasion of the Philippines employed a grand-scale use of all arms of modern warfare: land and amphibious forces, surface and sub-surface ships, and, of course, a tremendous air coverage.

A look at the chart will show the confusion of islands upon whose perimeter the initial assault was made. They form a maze of channels, of which the two providing the best egress to the Pacific are San Bernardino Strait in the north, between Luzon and Samar Islands, and Surigao Strait in the south, between Leyte and Mindanao.

One of the precautions our forces took against a Japanese incursion from the westward was to post submarines on the opposite side of the archipelago. Early on the morning of October 23, before daylight, two of our submarines flashed the word to the invasion forces that a strong Japanese fleet was headed northeastward from the South China Sea into Philippine waters – and characteristically reported, also, that they were moving in to attack. They sent four torpedoes in each of three heavy cruisers, two of which were reported to have been left sinking and the third heavily damaged. The enemy forces scattered, and in the pursuit one of our submarines ran on a reef in the middle of the restricted channel and had to be destroyed, after all of the crew was removed to safety.

Later that day other contacts with the enemy were reported, in Mindoro Strait, south of Luzon, and oft the mouth of Manila Bay where the reporting submarine badly damaged another heavy cruiser, which managed, however, to limp into the bay.

Thus alerted, the carrier air forces immediately extended their patrol searches westward over the Visayan Sea and the Sulu Sea. On Tuesday, October 24, two large enemy fleets were seen making their way eastward. One, in the Sulu Sea, was obviously headed for the Mindanao Sea and its exit into the Pacific, Surigao Strait. It consisted of two battleships, FUSŌ and YAMASHIRO, two heavy cruisers, two light cruisers, and eight or 10 destroyers. Our carrier planes attacked and inflicted some damage on the battleships, one of the cruisers and two of the destroyers, but the enemy continued doggedly on the way to the strait, at whose mouth, where it debouched into Leyte Gulf, a surprise reception committee was being assembled.

The larger enemy force of the central prong of attack was initially composed of five battleships, the modern YAMATO and MUSASHI, and the NAGATO, KONGŌ and HARUNA. In support were seven heavy cruisers, one light cruiser and from 13 to 15 destroyers. This task force was also engaged as it steamed through the Sibuyan Sea by the carrier force of the Third Fleet. One of the Japanese battleships and two of the cruisers were heavily damaged and most of the other vessels in the group received hits. After engaging in a running battle, the Japanese turned back upon their course as if decided not to attempt to force San Bernardino Strait.

While these carrier strikes were being made against the two enemy fleets, our own ships and landing forces were being subjected to a very heavy air attack by hundreds of land-based planes darting out from the Philippines’ 100 or more airfields. During these attacks, the PRINCETON was hit and set on fire, and so damaged that the carrier had to be destroyed.

Among the attacking Japanese planes was one group of carrier-based aircraft which flew in from the north, so search groups were dispatched from the Third Fleet to track them down. At 3:40 in the afternoon of that same Tuesday, October 24, two enemy forces were detected coming down from the northern tip of Luzon to join battle. They included two battleships, the ISE and HYUGA, four carriers, including one large ship of the ZUIKAKU class, a heavy cruiser, three light cruisers and six destroyers. The Third Fleet, upon receipt of this information, turned to meet the oncoming enemy.

U.S. forces aiding and protecting the landing on Leyte were now the target for three converging Japanese groups totaling, without estimating submarines, nine battleships, four carriers, 13 heavy cruisers and seven light cruisers, and 30-odd destroyers. The stage was set.

Shortly after midnight, our PT boats off the southern approaches to Surigao Strait detected and reported the approach of the enemy’s southern force, the one that had been battered but not deterred. The PTs reported that two of their torpedoes had probably struck as many ships, but still the enemy came on. Three hours later, U.S. destroyers on picket duty in the Strait discovered the Japanese coming through in two columns, making about 20 knots. The destroyers attacked, and almost simultaneously the battleships and cruisers stationed at the mouth of the Strait opened fire. The enemy was caught in narrow waters, and caught in the fire, too, of five battleships, he had accounted as lost in the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor – the WEST VIRGINIA (BB-48), MARYLAND (BB-46), TENNESSEE (BB-43), CALIFORNIA (BB-44) and PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38), all modernized and more powerful than ever.

The Japanese columns slowed indecisively to 12 knots, and then, as shell after shell from the American vessels found their marks, the enemy tried to reverse course and escape. Of the two battleships, two heavy cruisers and two light, and 10 destroyers, all were sunk except one battleship, one or two cruisers, and perhaps half the destroyers. The next day our aviators discovered the battleship and a fugitive cruiser, badly crippled, and finished them off.

Our losses in the entire action were one PT boat sunk and one destroyer damaged.

While the southern prong of the Japanese attack was being obliterated by surface action, the northernmost had been located from the air during the night – and it promptly swung from a southeasterly course to a northerly one. Hot pursuit resulted in a new contact early in the morning of the 25th. The Japanese carriers had few planes on their decks – they had sent their aircraft out against our ships the day before, and the planes apparently had to refuel on Luzon before returning to their mother ships. Indeed, the Japanese airplanes came in to rejoin their carriers while U.S. bombers and torpedo planes were sending three of the four ships to the bottom and making the deck of the fourth no fit landing place for anything. Twenty-one of the homing Japanese airplanes were intercepted and destroyed by the fighter cover of U.S. forces.

Not only did the aerial assault sink three of the four carriers and damage the fourth, but two of the Japanese destroyers were sent down. The enemy force turned and made their way toward Japan, with some of our ships crowding on all steam to catch them – the remainder of the Third Fleet units turned south at full speed for a reason about to be made clear. Our cruisers and destroyers quickly overtook the surviving but crippled Japanese carrier and sent it down without effort. During the night, one of our submarines intercepted a damaged cruiser, and finished it off with torpedoes.

What had caused Adm. Halsey to divert part of his force southward was the report that a group of our escort carriers operating in support of the landings on Leyte was being threatened by superior enemy forces. The anti­submarine patrol of this group of six escort carriers and seven destroyers and destroyer escorts had detected in Wednesday’s dawn an approaching Japanese force of four battleships, seven cruisers and nine destroyers. These were apparently the surviving elements of the enemy task force which had been attacked from the air in the Sibuyan Sea and forced to flee westward. During the night the group had traversed San Bernardino Strait.

The escort carriers, silhouetted against the dawn, came under heavy fire from the Japanese force which, in the western gloom and with the Philippine hills providing further concealment, possessed every advantage of position and firing power. The carriers, converted merchantmen, headed off to the eastward into the east wind at the top of their limited speed, launching aircraft to attack the enemy. But the enemy’s superior speed and gunpower swiftly told. The Japanese continued to close in, hauling around to the northward and forcing this carrier group to head southward, under continuous fire from the enemy’s 16”, 14” and 8” shells. Japanese marksmanship was poor, and American seamanship excellent, however, and although frequently straddled, our ships were not heavily hit during the first part of the engagement. By 9 o’clock, though, despite a sustained air attack on the enemy and the best efforts of the destroyer support with smokescreens and forays against the Japanese, the carriers began to take considerable punishment. One of them was sunk. Two destroyers and a destroyer-escort which courageously charged the Japanese battleships went down under the enemy’s heavy shells. Nevertheless, the Japanese paid an exorbitant price for their success, such as it was. Two of their heavy cruisers were sunk, and one – perhaps two – of their destroyers went down under the concentrated counterattack from surface and air.

Still the enemy pressed his advantage, and by 9:20 the carrier group had been jockeyed into a situation with the Japanese, only 12,000 yards distant, and in position for the kill.

Then, suddenly, the enemy ships hauled away, gradually widening the distance, and to the astonishment of the battered American forces, broke off the battle with a final and harmless spread of torpedoes before steaming over the northern horizon at high speed, trailing oil from pierced hulls as they fled.

What had happened can be reconstructed from the events already reviewed. The Japanese admiral, with a costly local victory in sight, received word of the destruction of the southern force in Surigao Strait and the utter rout of the northern force with the destruction of its carriers. He had to get back through San Bernardino Strait, or face annihilation.

Further, though the Jap may not have known it, we had a battleship and cruiser force – a part of the 7th Fleet – in Leyte Gulf for the purpose of protecting the transports and landing craft from any enemy force attempting to destroy them. This was the force which so completely defeated the Japanese Southern Force before daylight in the southern part of Leyte Gulf, almost annihilating it – and which was still available – almost unscathed – to prevent the entrance of the Central Force.

The vanguard of the returning Third Fleet units caught one straggling enemy destroyer before it reached the Strait and sank it. Early the next day, air groups from our carriers ranged over the Sibuyan Sea and continued attacks on the fugitives, probably sinking one heavy cruiser and a light cruiser.

Back at the scene of the attack on the carriers, the Japanese continued to harass the American ships with land-based planes, resulting in the sinking of a second of the CVEs, but the Second Battle of the Philippines was over and decisively won. The enemy fleet had sustained losses and damage which materially weakened their overall naval and air strength against the final drive of U.S. forces against the Empire.

We must not, however, allow ourselves to feel that this victory effectively prevented any reinforcement of the Jap forces on Leyte and Samar, because he can still, by the very nature of the geography of the islands which afford protection and hiding places for short, fast transportation runs, continued his reinforcements at an increasingly diminishing rate. He cannot, however, prevent our own reinforcement and supply of Gen. MacArthur and his gallant troops. Our naval and air forces will continue to insure the control of these sea approaches to the Philippines and the effective support and supply of our troops.

The Third Fleet was under command of Adm. William F. Halsey Jr. (USN) during the operations, and the Seventh Fleet was under command of VAdm. Thomas C. Kinkaid (USN).

The Pittsburgh Press (November 17, 1944)

Rhine offensive surges 11 miles east of Aachen

U.S. 1st Army drives close to Duren, biggest barrier to Cologne
By J. Edward Murray, United Press staff writer

Germans rush sailors, fliers to front line

Silence of Hitler saps morale in Reich

Whole towns disintegrate under Yank aerial barrage

By Henry T. Gorrell, United Press staff writer

Foolproof system prevents ‘accidents’ in bomb barrage

By William H. Stoneman

Robot raid on U.S. reported planned

U-boats to assist, Stockholm hears

Spur lagging war output, Byrnes warns

200,000 men needed immediately, he says

Gracie Allen Reporting

By Gracie Allen

I see by the paper that pre-war girdles are back… and not a moment too soon either. The wonderful hospitality and food we enjoyed in Boston are expanding George right out of his old one.

Our radio sponsors gave us a real old-fashioned Irish shindig. Sure, ‘twas a bit of the Ould Sod with the beautiful songs and blarney bringing tears to the eyes of the good Boston folks. As usual, George’s singing was the hit of the party. That man does a song convincingly. All the Irish agreed that when George sang “My Wild Irish Rose” they could actually smell it.

Now George and I are moving on to sell more war bonds. They tell us to expect rain, sleet and fog on this trip. Pity us poor Californians – we came east for a change.


Freedom of speech?

By Florence Fisher Parry

How much would you take for the life of your son – or your husband, if you were a bride? A million dollars? Five million? 10 million? You wouldn’t accept it. His life beyond the riches of the world.

The United States Army knows this. At the very moment when it has to send hundreds, thousands of your boys and mine to almost certain death, because it knows they are expendable, because it knows that in order to win its objective – at this very moment, the cause they are fighting for and dying for, the cause of freedom, is being treated shabbily at home.

Now ask any American what he thinks freedom is. He will give you different answers, but answers all to be found in our Declaration of Independence, in our Constitution and our Bill of Rights. And among those answers, freedom of speech looms large.

Americans pride themselves upon their freedom of speech. Even now, as the sound and fury of the presidential campaign subside, the disappointment of millions gives place to good sportsmanship and a really sincere attempt at internal peace. We are displaying to our Allies a wonderful example of what we really mean by freedom of speech.

What better proof, we brag, than that in the midst of war we can conduct a heated political campaign and return instantly when it is over to one united front.


So what happens? Mr. Craig Sheaffer, president of the Sheaffer Pen Company, sponsor of Upton Close on the radio, has been told by the National Broadcasting Company that his company will be denied any further time on its network if he continues to engage as radio commentator, Upton Close.

Yes, my readers, this has happened to a company which has received the Navy “E” for its wonderful production in supplying the men in the Army and Navy with an indispensable gadget. Now it is denied radio advertising on a major network.

Who is this Upton Close? He is not a mountebank or a demagogue. He does not offend the sensibilities of his listeners by vulgarity or trash. He is a recognized scholar; he is a widely traveled observer at home and abroad. He is an American sprung from Americans who have been Americans for many generations. He has drawn a wide and highly intelligent audience; he has been recognized as one of the most highly qualified commentators on the air. His talks have been frank, factual and fearless.

Why, then, this boycott from a major broadcasting company, whose sacred obligation must be protection and maintenance of free speech in America? If we are not to have a free radio, can we long hope to have a free press? If minority opinion is not given as full expression as that of the majority which now rules what, pray, is to become of this Republic and the democratic principles which it is supposed to embody?

New era

This is the first time, I believe, that free speech has been threatened by any such act of a broadcasting company. There have been many instances of timid sponsors not permitting their employed commentators to express opinions which might antagonize potential purchasers of the commodity sponsored. But this was merely business discretion, and in no way imperiled free speech in abstract.

Here is something very different. It is a threat to every free institution in our land. All oppressive measures had a first time. This first time has finally come to radio, the greatest medium of expression human communication has ever known!

It exerts the greatest of all powers in forming opinions in the world today. It reaches into every outpost. Its listeners are legion. It has been the most potent instrument of this war. Without it, Hitler could not have destroyed half the world and plunged the rest into such chaos as will take a hundred years to bring to decent order.

It may not seem important to us today, busy on the little treadmills of our special squirrel cages, that one mere radio commentator, by name of Upton Close, has been the means of his sponsor’s being denied time on the radio. Yet I say that this action on the part of the National Broadcasting Company marks the start of a new era in the history of this Republic.

‘Cotton Ed’ Smith dies suddenly

Recently set record for Senate service

Ellison D. Smith

Lynchburg, South Carolina (UP) –
Senator Ellison DuRant “Cotton Ed” Smith, tobacco-chewing New Deal-hating conservative Democrat from the Old South, died today at his Tanglewood Plantation home, less than four months after he had set an all-time record for continuous Senate service.

Mr. Smith had served 35 years and eight months in the Senate. But the voters called an end to his political career this year and he would have left the Senate Jan. 3.

Dies of heart attack

The aged Senator died of a heart attack. He visited his family doctor two days ago, according to his son, Farley, and had been pronounced “in good physical condition.”

Mr. Smith arose as usual this morning and appeared cheerful. Death came about 10 o’clock in his bedroom.

Mr. Smith celebrated his 80th birthday anniversary Aug. 1, a month after he was defeated for renomination in the South Carolina primary by Senator-elect Olin D. Johnston.

Known as ‘Cotton Ed’

Known throughout the country as “Cotton Ed,” Mr. Smith’s death ended one of the most colorful political careers of his generation. He fought for the principles he upheld, often screaming his Congressional speeches on his favorite issues: White supremacy, state’s rights and “King Cotton.”

By contrast, death came to him quietly. None of his family was at the bedside, although his wife, son and daughter-in-law were in the house.

Funeral services will be held Sunday at the plantation house where Mr. Smith had lived since childhood, in an atmosphere of the Old South which he chose never to forget himself or to allow his colleagues in the Senate to forget.

Wanted ‘normalcy’

Mr. Smith’s son said his father a few days before his death expressed the hope that one day the “nation would return to normalcy” and that South Carolina and the South in general would “become more conservative.”

That was the final political utterance from the South Carolinian who through nearly 40 years of public life blasted repeatedly at bureaucracy and roared at what he believed was the steady, encroachment of the federal government on the rights of states.

Mr. Smith was a bristling, bombastic man – a legendary figure who wore a huge handlebar mustache, wavy sandy hair and whose mischievous dynamic eyes could change in a nonce from kindliness to flashing coals when he became angry or excited – which was frequent.

Shunned ‘machines’

A man who never depended on a political machine to gain office, Mr. Smith relied instead on his gift for drama, oratory and innate genius to hold his political career intact.

He usually managed to keep some cotton investigation boiling and most of his bills were to promote the welfare of the southern farmer.

The nickname “Cotton Ed” was affixed to him, so the story goes, in the summer of 1908 when he was campaigning in a small Southern town. He reportedly rode down the main drag in a springboard pulled by a span of mules. Atop the wagon was a big bale of cotton and in his lapel, he wore a cotton boll.

‘My sweetheart*

As he drew near the crowd of villagers, he rose with native Southern dignity, it was said, and, stroking the cotton boll in his lapel, said:

My sweetheart, my sweetheart, others may forget you. But you will always be my sweetheart.

Elected to the Senate in 1908, Mr. Smith became in time one of the country’s best-known lawmakers on six counts:

  • His frequent oratorical flights on behalf of Southern womanhood which he esteemed.

  • His almost equally passionate championship of cotton, which he espoused on all possible occasions.

  • His thoroughgoing dislike of the New Deal, which he once called “this contemptible thing.”

  • His flair for colorful language and, when the occasion seemed to warrant, ripe and rich profanity.

  • His zealous belief in white supremacy, which once caused him to walk out on the 1936 Democratic National Convention because the prayer was offered by a Negro minister.

  • His love and constant use of chewing tobacco. He always had a “wad” in his cheek, and didn’t mind when it stained his walrus mustache.

Interested in farming

Mr. Smith was sincerely and devotedly interested in the welfare of agriculture. As chairman of the Senate Agriculture Committee for 14 years, he toiled unceasingly for legislation which he thought would help farmers.

He fostered measures for soil conservation during the Wilson administration and helped to set up the present system of federal aid for agricultural extension work. He also sponsored legislation for regulation of cotton exchanges. But he didn’t like many of the New Deal’s ideas on aid to farmers.

Mr. Smith was born Aug. 1, 1864, on a 3,000-acre plantation, the son of a Methodist minister. He grew up in the Reconstruction period after the Civil War and learned to hate Carpetbaggers and everything he associated with them.

Elected to legislature

After graduation from Wofford College, he entered politics in 1896 and was elected to the State Legislature. For a time, he was an organizer for the Southern Cotton Association and traveled all over the South.

He was a bred-in-the-bone states’ rights, tariff-for-revenue-only Southern Democrat. As chairman of the Agriculture Committee, he fought the New Deal at every opportunity. He became so bitter on this score that on last Feb. 4, he said:

I am actually getting to the point where I turn to the Republicans instinctively when I want the real fundamental constitutional laws of this country adhered to.

Opposed women’s suffrage

Mr. Smith gave expression to his high regard for Southern womanhood on all possible occasions. But when women’s suffrage was an issue, he was against it.

He complained:

I don’t know why women want any more power than they already have. They run everything now.

Mr. Smith loved fishing, hunting and reading. His reading favorites were the Bible, novels and detective stories. He called detective yarns “red hot trash” and read all he could find.

1 Like

Ministers ask Roosevelt to apologize for profanity

Association cites ‘regrettable breach against God’ while casting ballot

Glendale, California (UP) –
The Glendale Ministerial Association today sent a letter to President Roosevelt asking him to apologize publicly for his reported “shocking profanity” while casting his vote in a Hyde Park (New York) voting booth Election Day.

The letter referred to Time Magazine which, in its Nov. 13 issue, quoted the President as muttering from behind the curtain as he attempted to manipulate the voting machine: “The **** thing won’t work.”

In Washington, White House officials had no comment on the request but said they were checking to see if the clergymen’s letter of protest had been received.

The text of the letter sent by Dr. J. Whitcomb Brougher Sr., president of the association:

The members of the Ministerial Association of Glendale do hereby express to you our grief over your regrettable breach against God and the consciences and hopes of millions of people of this and other lands by your shocking profanity on Election Day, while in the election booth as reported by Time Magazine.

We earnestly pray that you may feel that contrition and seek that forgiveness which Holy God enjoins, and publicly apologize too, and reassure faithful constituents and friends the world over, whom you so gravely grieved.

‘Hello Girls’ go on strike in 3 Ohio cities

Walkout starts at Dayton Exchange

Mail cards early

Washington –
The War Department today urged that Christmas cards destined for overseas points be mailed at once so they may be delivered to even the most distant points before Christmas Day.

Raft denies ever rolling loaded dice

Slander suit planned by movie star

In Washington –
St. Lawrence Seaway fight hits Congress

Hopes for a short, quiet session fade

Truce reached on air control

World assembly’s power restricted

Eisenhower to tell of ammunition need

Truck drivers given warning by Saltonstall

But union votes to continue strike

Roosevelt to speak on war loan Sunday

Washington (UP) –
President Roosevelt will officially launched the $14-billion Sixth War Loan Drive with a radio address at 10:00 p.m. Sunday ET over the four major networks.

He will be introduced by Secretary of the Treasury Henry Morgenthau Jr.

200 Americans held in Nazi camp

Civilians run for cover as U.S. artillery opens up

By Jack Frankish, United Press staff writer

Nazis leave hint in Holland of defeatism

Special sign painted: ‘We never capitulate’
By Richard D. McMillan, United Press staff writer

Peace needs outlined at Garden rally

Soviet envoy warns against propaganda

Attorney denies major’s charges

Ninth Army surprise sprung on Germans

Yanks mop up Mapia Islands above Guinea

Rains slow U.S. troops on Leyte
By William B. Dickinson, United Press staff writer

Manila attack toll raised to 16 Jap ships

Nimitz issues revised figures on U.S. raid