20 seized by U.S. in polygamy case

In Washington –
House members draft veteran bonus measure

Would distribute $30 billion to honorably discharged men

americavotes1944

Soldier vote bill agreement by conferees due

State ballot advocates expected to consent to amendment

Washington (UP) –
Senator Theodore F. Green (D-RI) said today there was a good possibility that Senate and House conferees would reach final agreement on the soldier vote bill before nightfall.

State ballot advocates were expected to agree to an amendment under which the federal ballot, restricted now to overseas troops, could be used within the United States by servicemen whose states do not have absentee ballots – Kentucky and New Mexico.

Senator Carl A. Hatch (D-NM) approved the amendment as the only step outside of a special session by his state’s legislature that would enable New Mexico servicemen to vote.

While most conferees favored the amendment, Senator Green objected, saying it discriminated in favor of New Mexicans as against men from other states.

Under the bill, the federal ballot would be used by servicemen overseas who apply for a state absentee ballot by Sept. 1 but do not receive it by Oct. 1.

A minor change made yesterday fixed July 15 instead of Aug, 1 as the date by which state governors must certify that federal ballots will be accepted for counting under their state law.

Dewey calls for law to give soldiers vote

Albany, New York (UP) –
Governor Thomas E. Dewey called upon the Republican-controlled legislature today to pass a soldier-vote law which will assure men and women in the Armed Forces the right to mark ballots “free from partisan exploitation or perversion.”

In a special message to the Senate and Assembly, Governor Dewey asked enactment of a plan which calls for:

• Every member of the armed services desiring to vote would simply send to the Secretary of State of New York, his name, home address and service address.

• The War Ballot Commission to forward the postcards to the local election boards.

• The election boards would then mail directly to the soldier voter, a ballot and a self-addressed return envelope, all of a size and weight complying with the wishes of the Army and Navy.

• The soldier or sailor upon receiving his ballot would mark it for any or every officer and mail it to the War Ballot Commission which would forward all the ballots to the proper election boards to be counted.

Press subsidy sponsors lose one argument

E Bond buyers in their states exceed quota without paid ads
By Robert Taylor, Press Washington correspondent

Rudy Vallee’s bride of 3 months to sue

Fan letters deluge Shirley, long absent from the films

Identical Texas twins man plane’s twin guns

Tasks for today –
Plan jobs now, Kaiser warns

‘For tomorrow’ good slogan, but speed essential
By Robert C. Elliott, Scripps-Howard staff writer

United Nations conference on money is set

Delegates will probably meet in this country late in spring

Editorial: Borrowing to pay taxes

Editorial: Britain and Japan

Editorial: Red Cross campaign

Editorial: Arabian pipeline question

Edson: Cutbacks causing acute problem in labor adjustment

By Peter Edson

img

Ferguson: Service daughters

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

There is something new under the sun. Women today hang out service flags for girls and put roses before the pictures of daughters in uniform. And they’re just as proud of those daughters as they are of their boys who wear fighting togs. In fact, maybe they’re a wee bit prouder.

A friend whose only son is a Marine and whose only daughter has just become a WAC put it this way:

She said:

I didn’t want her to join. You know how it is. We mothers are more afraid for our girls. But I decided to keep out of it. I knew I would never have dictated to her about other plans. I hate people who want to play God to their children. So, I thought, she’s grown, she ought to know what she wants, and if she wants to be a WAC well go to it, honey, and God bless you.

I had no such sentimental feelings about Bill. I expected him to go into the country’s service and would have been surprised if he hadn’t. I didn’t give a second thought to the temptations or hardships he might meet. We’ve been conditioned to that sort of thing for our boys. But when his sister marched away – well, I felt all gone inside. I think now it was because I sensed that she was marching off into a new world.

She turned to look at the picture of her girl, dressed in khaki. Together we studied that bright young countenance, symbolizing something really new under our sun – a woman soldier and an American moving into a fresh historical era. She went into her country’s service with the same dear old American ideals in her heart. My guess is they’ll be flying high alongside her flag when she comes home again.

Background of news –
Italian campaign lags

By Col. Frederick Palmer, North American Newspaper Alliance