America at war! (1941–) – Part 3

americavotes1944

93 votes for Dewey expected in New York

Albany, New York (UP) –
Political observers believed today that New York State’s 93 delegates to the Republican National Convention would adopt a resolution next month formally endorsing Governor Thomas E. Dewey for the presidential nomination.

americavotes1944

Louisiana Governor challenges Roosevelt

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (UP) –
Governor Sam H. Jones, long a bitter opponent of the New Deal administration, has openly challenged the power of President Roosevelt to refuse to let members of Congress serve in the Armed Forces unless they first resign their posts.

The Governor refused to accept the resignation of Rep. James Domengeaux (D-LA) who had passed his pre-induction physical examination and was scheduled to be sworn into the Army within a few days.

Domengeaux, 37, and single, sent his resignation to the Governor according to Louisiana law, several weeks ago.

Governor Jones wrote the Congressman:

I know of now law of the United States that would bar you as a Congressman from serving in the Army of the United States and at the same time keep you from holding your office to which the people of your district have elected you.

Rep. Luce: Roosevelt losing hold on voters

Bridgeport, Connecticut (UP) –
Many a Democrat in Congress “is beginning to view his own bootstraps as a safer device for political levitation than President Roosevelt’s threadbare coattails,” Rep. Clare Luce (R-CT) told the Bridgeport Chamber of Commerce yesterday.

She said that Mr. Roosevelt has lost his vote-pulling appeal, and that in private, Democratic Congressmen and Senators “will tell you so.”

Editorial: The Wagner law decisions

Editorial: Keeping score in the air

Edson: Labor group to meet April 20 in Philadelphia

By Peter Edson

img

Ferguson: Better babies

By Mrs. Walter Ferguson

There is a rising tide of public opinion in favor of a higher birth rate. The most recent champion of the cause is Mark Sullivan who draws horrific pictures of the future unless America and Britain keep pace with Japan in baby production.

And for what are all these children to be used? Larger families, it is said, will keep our supply of manpower so high that no nation will dare challenge us to war.

We are also reminded that the birth rate is low in well-to-do circles and that women college graduates avoided motherhood in the 20s and 30s, a fact which must be acknowledged and deplored. But in making that point the proponents of prolific breeding refute their main argument. For the point implies that the quality of human beings is more to be valued than their quantity, that it is better to have Grade A babies than Grade B.

Indeed, many countries which specialize in production of Grade B babies finally have such a preponderance of weaklings in their population that they can’t wage successful wars.

Our country easily could accommodate more children than we now produce. However, Army and Navy figures prove that if the present generation had had better food, better schools and better social backgrounds, its numbers would have been adequate for all military and civilian needs. The cold truth is that we have bred too many subnormal and diseased children in our slums.

Not more, but better babies should be our aim, babies whose parents will take the time to train them for citizenship and life.

americavotes1944

Background of news –
Dewey and foreign policy

By Bertram Benedict

First of two articles.

With Governor Dewey away out in front for the Republican presidential nomination, and with the campaign likely to revolve around foreign policy, Mr. Dewey’s views on foreign policy in the past become of special interest.

Governor Dewey generally was classed as something of an isolationist prior to Pearl Harbor, but there was certainly nothing isolationist about the views on foreign policy he expressed on Sept. 5, 1943, at the meeting of the Republican Advisory Council on Post-War Policy at Mackinac Island.

On arriving to attend the meeting, he was asked about his views on foreign policy. Mr. Dewey presented reporters with copies of the foreign policy plank in the platform on which he was elected Governor of New York in 1942. Mr. Dewey was understood to have written much of that platform himself. It said:

The United States must be prepared to undertaker new obligations and responsibilities in the community of nations. We must cooperate with other nations to promote the wider international exchange of goods and services, to broaden access to raw materials, to achieve monetary and economic stability and thus discourage the growth of rampant nationalism and its spawn: economic and military aggression. As a further safeguard, we must join with other nations to secure the peace of the world, by force if necessary, against any future outbreak of international gangsterism.

De facto alliance cited*

On being interrogated Mr. Dewey then came out foe a foreign policy pretty much like that advocated in Walter Lippman’s U.S. Foreign Policy: Shield of the Republic, which had been published less than three months previously, Mr. Dewey said:

We have had a de facto military alliance with Great Britain practically ever since the War of 1812. In the two principal cases since, when war was made on Britain, we went to her defense… (That the United States and Great Britain will continue that alliance, and on a more formal basis, after this war) I should think very likely, and it would be in our interest… It would be hoped that in the working out of the peace Russia and China might be included (in that alliance).

However, prior to Pearl Harbor, Mr. Dewey seemed to wax isolationist or anti-isolationist according to circumstances.

In announcing, in December 1939, his candidacy for the 1940 Republican presidential nomination, he listed his principal advisers. At the top of the list was John Foster Dulles, who is understood now to be Mr. Dewey’s chief adviser on foreign affairs and who is even being mentioned as Secretary of State if Mr. Dewey should become President.

The statement explained that Mr. Dulles had been secretary of The Hague Peace Conference of 1907, had been attached to the American Peace Mission in Paris in 1918-19, had been a member of the Reparations Commission of the Supreme Economic Council.

Dulles’ opinion quoted

The Dewey statemen then went on to relate, obviously with approbation, that on Oct. 28, 1939, Mr. Dulles had said that he favored “some dilution or leveling off of the sovereignty principle as it prevails in the world today,” and that an orderly transition could be effected only under the leadership of the United States.

All this certainly did not sound isolationist. But in his 1940 campaign in the preferential primary of Wisconsin, heart of isolationist territory, Mr. Dewey uttered what sounded like an isolationist credo. He declared on March 30, after charging that the Roosevelt administration had turned to European affairs only because it had made a failure of domestic problems, that the United States should:

…keep its hands wholly out of the European war and out of any negotiations that may take place between the warring nations, now or at any other time… We must elect a Republican administration which will… keep completely out of the affairs of Europe.

CANDIDLY SPEAKING —
It’s some question

By Maxine Garrison

Millett: Note to clinging vines: Grow up before war ends

Army nurse says soldier-husband will want wife to face realities
By Ruth Millett

Ernie Pyle V Norman

Roving Reporter

By Ernie Pyle

With 5th Army beachhead forces, Italy – (by wireless)
I suppose there is no custom in our Army more adhered to than the one of brewing some coffee or hot chocolate just before bedtime, whenever soldiers are in a place where it is possible.

It is especially the custom here on the Anzio beachhead, where nearby everybody is dug in and you can have a fire in places. The little Coleman stove is perfect for that.

And since we’ve mentioned it, real coffee is one gift the boys over here always like to receive, now that coffee rationing is ended back home.

One night I was bunking in a grove with a company of tank crewmen and they asked me along to one of their dugouts to have coffee with them. Others followed until there were 10 of us squatting on the floor of the little dugout.

This dugout was of the average size for two men, but three men were using it to sleep in. It was about shoulder-deep, and had straw on the floor, but of course no furniture at all.

The dugout was inhabited by Pvt. Ruben Cordes of Gasper, Alabama, and Pvt. Norman Cormier of Leicester, Massachusetts, both assistant tank drivers, and Pvt. Henry Sewell of Buechel, Kentucky, a tank gunner.

Company wit is whittler

Pvt. Cordes is the company wit. The boys kid him and he kids himself. When I met him just before dark, he was sitting on a kitchen chair tilted bac against a tree trunk in good Southern style, whittling silhouettes out of a piece of board.

He whittles all the time. The boys laughed and said:

You should have been here a few minutes ago. The captain was right here under the tree, chopping his own firewood, and Cordes just sat there and whittled and let him chop.

Cordes never can find anything he owns, especially his whittling knife. But now that they have moved into this dugout, he has a simple system. Whenever he loses anything, he just gets down on his knees and feels in the straw until eventually he finds it.

Most of the boys got packages from home the evening I was there. When the others saw that Cordes had a package, they started giving him cigarettes, holding lights for him, brushing his shoes and sticking lifesavers in his mouth. It turned out his box contained seven pairs of heavy wool socks which he had written home for, and he was going to keep them.

Cordes is also the pinup champ of the entire Army, as far as my investigations go. I know a bunch of Air Force mechanics who have 34 pinups in their room, but Cordes has 38 on the walls of his little dugout. “I’m glad we’re ahead of the Air Force,” one boy said.

In this feminine gallery, there is one pinup girl who me3ans more than the rest. That is Norman Cormier’s wife. Somebody did a pencil sketch of her at a party back home, and she sent it to him. It hangs on the place of honor among all his roommate’s unknown beauties.

The boys were all good-natured. When I was taking down their names and ranks, Cormier laughed when he gave his as private first class, and somebody said:

What are the people of Massachusetts going to think about you being only a pic?

They talk about ages

The other tank men in our little evening snack party were Sgt. Thomas Simpson, a tank commander, of Louisville, Kentucky; Sgt. Ralph Sharp, a tank driver from Strathmore, California; Pvt. Paul Cummins, assistant driver, from Sharonville, Ohio; Cpl. Max Hernandez from Delmar, California; SSgt. Michael Swartz, a farmer from Scranton, Pennsylvania, and may own dugout mate, Sgt. Bazzel Carter of Wallins Creek, Kentucky.

Cpl. Hernandez, a halftrack driver, describes himself as “one of those guys who wanted to see action, and now look at me.” And the others chimed in that now he was “one of those guys who wanted to see home.”

We sat there in the dugout for two or three hours, cooling our canteens with our hands and drinking sweet coffee and just gabbing. The boys pumped me about America and what I thought of the western invasion and what I knew about the authenticity of the latest crop of rumors, and how I found life on the beachhead.

Finally, it was getting late and Pvt. Cummins stretched and said, “I feel like I was 45 years old.” So I said, “Well, I feel like I was, too, and I damn near am.”

Then Sgt. Swarts asked how old I was, and I said 43, and he said he was 30, and that if he knew he’d live to be 43, he wouldn’t have a worry in the world. But I said:

Oh yes you would, you’d be just like I am, worrying whether you’d ever get to be 44 or not.

And Pvt. Cordes said he had nothing to worry about along those lines, since he didn’t have sense enough to get killed.

That’s the way the conversation goes around a dugout at nighttime – rumors, girls, hopes of home, jokes, little experiences, opinions of their officers, and an occasional offhand reference to what may happen to you in the end.

Maj. Williams: Brass hats

By Maj. Al Williams

South American Way

Women in Brazil get new freedom
By Mrs. Wilbur D. Hockensmith Jr.

OWI’ll tell the world –
Lucey: U.S. strikes and political feuds told ‘in context’ for propaganda

By Charles T. Lucey, Scripps-Howard staff writer

Bucs eye third in row over Indians

Cuccurullo, Gee on mount against tribe

Feldman quits Giants; Donald buoys Yankees

Steel industry earning drop $16 million

1943 income slumps despite gain in sales

Some like it hot –
Place and girl vary soldier taste for music

Band leader finds what boys like
By Si Steinhauser

Völkischer Beobachter (April 13, 1944)

‚Hilfe, wir werden ermordet!‘

Nordamerikanischer Journalist sagt für den Fall der Invasion das fürchterlichste Blutbad voraus

‚Außenpolitik‘ der Yankee

v. mck. Lissabon, 12. April –
Nur alle vier Jahre, so meinte einmal der sarkastische irische Dichter Bernard Shaw, erfahren die Amerikaner bruchstückweise die Wahrheiten ihrer Politik, dann nämlich, wenn der Wahlkampf zum Waschen aller schmutzigen Wäsche verlockt, und wenn Münder sich auftun, die ansonsten mit Dollarnoten zugestopft sind. Amerika wählt in diesem Jahre, und bezeichnenderweise werden augenblicklich die amerikanischen Politiker von Anwandlungen des Mutes zur Wahrheit heimgesucht, sogar die Schaumschläger vom Schlage Wendell Willkies. Er hat sich kürzlich in Milwaukee während einer Wahlversammlung hingestellt und hat erklärt, Amerika habe sowohl innen- als auch außenpolitisch völlig den Faden verloren, es sei ganz einfach im internationalen Schlamm ertrunken.

Liest man die vielen Kritiken, die augenblicklich in der US-Presse zum Thema Außenpolitik geschrieben werden, verfolgt man die sichtliche Aufregung im State Department, die soeben in der kläglichen Rede Hulls deutlichen Ausdruck fand, und bringt man diese Erscheinungen in Zusammenhang mit dem Sturm der öffentlichen Meinung gegen den bisher beschrittenen außenpolitischen Weg der USA, so kann man nicht umhin, in diesem Falle Mister Willkie teilweise recht zu geben. Von einem Faden, einer Linie, einer Richtung, einer Konzeption, einem konstruktiven Plan der amerikanischen Außenpolitik kann überhaupt nicht die Rede sein, es sei denn, man entschlösse sich dazu, die systematisierte Anarchie als einziges Leitmotiv der US-Diplomatie anzusprechen – so widerspruchsvoll, irrig, dreist und dumm sind die Gedanken, die jenseits des Atlantiks zur Außenpolitik vorgebracht werden.

Würde man Roosevelt persönlich nach dem Faden seiner Außenpolitik befragen, so würde er ebenso heuchelnd wie undiplomatisch antworten: „Die vier Freiheiten der Atlantik-Charta.“ Er würde es tun, obwohl die Welt weiß, daß er diese Prinzipien immer dann verleugnet, wenn sie praktisch zur Anwendung kommen sollen, daß er sie nur dann im Munde führt, wenn er sich von ihnen eine agitatorische Wirkung verspricht. Der offizielle außenpolitische Faden ist nur zum Spinnen, aber nicht zum Wirken da.

Was bestimmt nun wirklich die amerikanische Außenpolitik? „In Washington spricht man heute mehr von den vier Elementen Gold, Öl, Luft und Wasser als von den vier Freiheiten der Atlantik-Charta,“ berichtet der Londoner Daily Express und gibt damit sehr deutlich zu verstehen, daß die idealen Prinzipien nur vorgeschoben wurden, um in ihrem Schatten realen Objekten nachzustreben. Entwickelt die amerikanische Außenpolitik jenseits der Diskrepanz zwischen ihren angeblichen und ihren tatsächlichen Zielen wenigstens bei der Verwirklichung der letzteren Systematik, Aufbau, Zielsetzung?

Auch diese Frage verneinen die ernsthaften außenpolitischen Beobachter Amerikas. Der mächtige,Life-Verleger, Henry Luce, hat treffend dazu erklärt, das State Department stelle „wahre Rekorde an Zweideutigkeit, Unbeständigkeit und Farblosigkeit“ auf. Es sei immer unsicher und richtungslos, mehr opportunistisch als politisch. Und gerade diese unverständliche außenpolitische Haltung der USA stelle die Kriegsursache dar, weil die amerikanische Diplomatie durch sie allgemeine Unsicherheit in die Welt hineingetragen habe. Luce sagte dies vor einem Jahre, als Sumner Welles noch im State Department saß und Stettinius noch keinen außenpolitischen Einfluß besaß. Inzwischen ging Hull nach Moskau und Roosevelt nach Teheran und man schwur, nunmehr einen außenpolitischen Faden gefunden zu haben. Doch mitnichten. Jetzt gerade, nachdem die politische Maschinerie von Moskau und Teheran in allen Probefällen ihre Arbeitsunfähigkeit bewiesen hat und in der ureigensten Domäne der US-Macht, in Südamerika, sich Erschütterungen vollziehen, die den einzigen, halbwegs durchkonstruierten Teil der US-Außenpolitik, den Panamerikanismus, zu vernichten drohen, begreifen immer mehr Amerikaner, daß ihr Land außenpolitisch kurslos herumschwimmt und fragen sich nach den Gründen.

„Warum haben wir keine fundierte und klare Außenpolitik? Etwa nur, weil das Übersetzungsverhältnis zwischen der politischen Wirklichkeit der Welt und den Prinzipien der Atlantik-Charta nicht herzustellen ist, oder weil bürokratischer Legalismus, verstaubter Konservatismus und opportunistischer Zynismus im State Department vorherrschen?“ forschte kürzlich die New York Herald Tribune und blieb bei der mit der Frage selbst gegebenen halben Antwort, denn die ganze kann Amerika nicht geben, ohne den eigenen Mythos zu verleugnen und den Traum vom „amerikanischen Jahrhundert“ endgültig zu torpedieren. Amerika kann bisher aus vielen Gründen keine echte, konstruktive Außenpolitik entwickeln.

Zunächst sind es geographische Gründe: Der amerikanische Westen ist pazifisch, der amerikanische Osten atlantisch orientiert, die Kernstaaten der USA denken dagegen völlig egozentrisch und daher weltpolitisch beziehungslos und isolationistisch. Hinzu kommt als weiteres politisches Spaltungsmoment der verfassungsmäßig verankerte Föderalismus, die vielen Bundesstaaten, in welchen sich je nach Lage eine bestimmte Auffassung der Außenpolitik entwickelt, und weiter die Tatsache, daß es keine amerikanische Nation gibt, sondern nur eine Ansammlung von vielen Millionen Einwanderern aus aller Welt. An einem Beispiel sei dies gezeigt: In den Zeitungen des Staates Kalifornien steht die Berichterstattung über den pazifischen Kriegsschauplatz im Vordergrund. Die Leitartikel befassen sich fast ausschließlich nur mit dem politischen Kampf um jenes Meer, weil die Menschen dort nicht an den Händeln in Europa interessiert sind wie anderseits die Bewohner des Staates Neuyork, in deren Blättern selbstverständlich die pazifischen Ereignisse an zweiter Stelle rangieren. Die Variation dieser allgemein gültigen Feststellung ergibt sich dann, wenn im, Chinesenviertel von Neuyork asiatische Probleme besprochen werden und im Polenviertel von San Franzisko der angelsächsische Verrat an Polen diskutiert wird.

Unter solchen Umständen kann sich natürlich nicht eine nationale Außenpolitik mit festumrissenen Zielen herauskristallisieren, zumal der parasitäre Vorstoß des amerikanischen Kapitalismus – die Anleihepolitik der jüdischen Großbanken, die Festsetzungsbestrebungen der Öl- und Luftfahrtkonzerne oder der Marktraub des amerikanischen Außenhandels – überall in der Welt „Interessenzonen“ schafft, deren ständige Kontrolle jede echte Diplomatie, jede aufbauende Konzeption unmöglich macht. Empfängt Mister Hull um 11 Uhr einen der Bankiers, welche Finnlands Zelluloseindustrie finanziert haben, und läßt sich Von ihm größere Zurückhaltung in der Sowjetpolitik anraten, da erscheint schon um 12 Uhr irgendeiner der Hintermänner der Pacht- und Leihgeschäfte und verlangt hundertprozentige Unterstützung der Sowjets und die Erfüllung aller ihrer Wünsche. Spricht der US-Außenminister mit den Vertretern des Clipper-Imperialismus oder mit den Sachwaltern von US-Kapitalinteressen in Südamerika, wird er auf geradezu fanatisch antienglische Gedankengänge stoßen, während Morgan, Lehmann und die anderen UNRRA- und Bankjuden, deren Interessen mit den englischen verflochten sind, umgekehrter Ansicht sein werden. Diejenigen, die mit dem chinesischen Bankier Soong Tschungking-China finanziell aufbliesen, werden glühende Anhänger der Verschiebung des amerikanischen außenpolitischen Schwergewichts nach dem Pazifik, die Geschäftemacher von Algier aber, die seit Monaten von den de Gaulles, Girauds und Badoglios irgendwelche „Nachkriegskonzessionen“ einhandeln und im Übrigen mit Rußland-geschäften „in der Dekade des sowjetischen Aufbaues“ spekulieren, gehören selbstverständlich zu den fanatischen Anhängern des „Europe first.“

Diese auseinanderstrebenden Meinungen beeinflussen alle die amerikanische Außenpolitik. Ihr bleibt darum nichts anderes übrig, als ganz allgemein überall der politischen Anarchie Vorschub zu leisten, um ebenso allgemein dem amerikanischen Wirtschaftsimperialismus das Weltfeld aufzubereiten. Dabei wirkt sie aber in erster Linie als Wegbereiterin des Bolschewismus. Aus der Ufer- und Hemmungslosigkeit ihres Strebens wächst aber nichts Reifes. „Die amerikanische Außenpolitik flattert wie eine zerfetzte Zielscheibe des kritischen Spottes im Winde der Ereignisse hin und her,“ sagt die Neuyorker Intellektuellen-Zeitschrift Nation. Sie hat also nicht, wie Willkie meint, den Faden verloren, sondern hat einen solchen nie besessen, weil sie ihn nicht besitzen kann.

Wir brauchen bei dieser Betrachtung nicht einmal Roosevelts verhängnisvollen persönlichen Einfluß auf die amerikanische Außenpolitik genauer zu untersuchen, weil wir wissen, daß sie stets im Höchstfälle nur eine Serie von Improvisationen des gerade im Amt befindlichen Präsidenten gewesen ist. Daß allerdings der gegenwärtige Lenker des amerikanischen Staates dem Kriege nachlief und das von Hause aus außenpolitisch konzeptionslose Amerika in einen Kampf trieb, beidem nur neue Gedanken und aufbauende Auffassungen entscheiden werden, ist, jenseits der Ursachen beurteilt, die schlimmste Hypothek, die auf der amerikanischen Außenpolitik lastet. Und nicht nur auf ihr, sondern auf Amerikas Leben überhaupt.

Sumner Welles, einst einer der entscheidenden Männer der US-Außenpolitik, die noch heute in mancher Beziehung den Stempel seines Wirkens trägt, bringt augenblicklich den Mut auf, sie ebenso sachlich wie hemmungslos zu kritisieren und sich nachträglich ein politisches Armutszeugnis auszustellen. In seinem letzten Aufsatz zu diesem Thema erklärt er, die ganze interalliierte Zusammenarbeit stünde nur auf dem Papier, in der Praxis dominiere aber die Sowjetunion vollständig innerhalb der Koalition, weil sie ihre Politik „mit Blut“ schreibe. Dies ist in amerikanischem Munde ein besonders interessantes Argument, das wiederum die Außenpolitik Roosevelts in richtiger Beleuchtung zeigt und außerdem ihre Ohnmacht erklärt. Kingsbury-Smith, der Leibjournalist Cordell Hulls, interpretiert die amerikanische Außenpolitik als ein „System von Nützlichkeitserwägungen.“ Ihr Sinn sei, „unter möglichst geringen Kosten an amerikanischen Leben den Krieg zu gewinnen.“ Sumner Welles führt gerade auf diese Blutsparsamkeit die Hörigkeit der US-Diplomatie gegenüber der unter Opferung von Hekatomben ihrer Menschen stur auf das gesteckte Ziel marschierenden Sowjetunion zurück. Und er bestätigt damit die auch außenpolitisch gültige uralte Regel, wonach ohne Einsatz des Lebens das Leben nicht gewonnen werden kann.

Je deutlicher die hoffnungslose Verfahrenheit der amerikanischen Außenpolitik wird, umso klarer tritt die Zielsetzung des Bolschewismus in Erscheinung, mit ihr aber zugleich die Sinngebung der geistigen und politischen Abwehr derjenigen Völker, die der zum außenpolitischen Leitmotiv der Alliierten erhobenen Anarchie die neue Ordnung entgegenzuhalten haben.

U.S. Navy Department (April 13, 1944)

CINCPAC Press Release No. 352

For Immediate Release
April 13, 1944

Ventura search planes of Fleet Air Wing Four bombed Paramushiru and Shimushu in the Kurile Islands before dawn on April 12 (West Longitude Date). Hits were obtained on airfields and fires started. Light anti-aircraft fire did no damage to our planes.

Liberator bombers of the 11th Army Air Force bombed Shasukotan and Matsuwa Islands on the same day. No opposition was encountered.

All of our planes returned.

The Pittsburgh Press (April 13, 1944)

Yank air fleets rip Europe

Big pre-invasion blow from England and Italy hits Germany, Hungary
By Phil Ault, United Press staff writer