Westerner, 67, enlists in third war as private

Planes blast Nauru Island

Fires set in attack west of Gilberts
By William F. Tyree, United Press staff writer

Carlton Brickert, radio actor, dies

Armed Forces’ deeds praised by Roosevelt

President and aides send greetings to women, men in uniform

Washington (UP) – (Dec. 25)
Today brought Christmas greetings to the Armed forces by President Roosevelt and to the Army by high-ranking Army officials.

President Roosevelt to the men and women of the Armed Forces:

This Christmas I feel a sense of deep humility before the great courage of the men and women of our Armed Forces. As your Commander-in-Chief, I send my greetings with pride in your heroic accomplishments.

President Roosevelt to the ill and wounded of the Armed Forces:

The uncomplaining gallantry of our American soldier and sailor in his quiet, patient battle against illness and aching wound is no less epic than his uncompromising gallantry in his more widely heralded fight against the Axis… May God speed your recovery.

Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson:

Your deeds on the battlefield have been an inspiration to millions of your countrymen… Throughout America the light of Christmas burns brightly in remembrance of you and in prayers for your return. God grant that your hands may be strengthened to hasten the day of final victory.

Gen. George C. Marshall, Army Chief of Staff:

Christmas this year finds our Army deployed in greatly increased strength throughout the world, an army of battle-tested veterans. Victories, some of them great victories, are constantly being won in the air, on the ground, and over the beaches of the Aleutians, the Far Pacific and the Mediterranean… All America is filled with pride in the feats of the Army with pride in the feats of the Army… God bless you all.

Gen. Henry H. Harold, Army Air Forces commander:

The coming year will bring the most decisive days of our time, the most decisive of centuries to come, perhaps. I am fully confident that you are equal to the challenge.

King George speaks

London, England (UP) – (Dec. 25)
King George VI, in his annual Christmas Day broadcast to the British Empire, warned today that harder fighting than ever before lies ahead before final victory and “the bright visions of the future” can be achieved.

He said:

As we were not downcast by defeat, we are not unduly exalted by victory. While we have bright visions of the future, we have no easy dreams of the days that lie close at hand.

We know there is much hard work and hard fighting, perhaps harder work and harder fighting than ever before, necessary for victory. We shall not rest from our task until it is nobly ended.

Chungking, China (UP) – (Dec. 25)
Gen. Joseph W. Stilwell, U.S. commander in this theater, called on his men in a Christmas message today to make the forthcoming blow against the enemy “crippling and decisive.”

Chiang broadcasts

Chungking, China (UP) – (Dec. 25)
Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek, in a Christmas broadcast to China’s war wounded, expressed confidence today that military successes already achieved have brought the Allies nearer their goal – the existence of all nations on an equal footing.

He said:

As officers and men imbued with the revolutionary spirit, we should be prepared to shed our last drop of blood on the cross as did Jesus Christ, thereby cleansing the world of all evils and building up a new world of equality and freedom.

Goebbels rants

By the United Press

Propaganda Minister Paul Joseph Goebbels, in a Christmas message to the German people, declared that the Allied would become aware of the strength and determination of the German people to win the war “perhaps even before spring, on the field of battle.”

Goebbels, who did not indicate whether he was thinking of the possibility of an Allied invasion or new German offensives, asserted that “the whole German ration is thinking only of victory.”

Roosevelt wields knife on big Christmas turkey

War problems shut out as large family gathering at Hyde Park enjoys noisy holiday

At Christmas –
A Mother’s Prayer

By George Matthew Adams

God, Father of Freedom, look after that boy of mine, wherever he may be. Walk in upon him. Keep his mind stayed on Thee. Talk with him during the silent watches of the night, and spur him to bravery whenever called upon to face the cruel foe. Transfer my prayer to his heart, that he may know the lingering love I have bequeathed to him as an everlasting gift.

Keep my boy contented and inspired by the never-dying faith in his Mother’s God. He is my gift to Freedom. May that Freedom forever remain untarnished, God.

Through the lonely and confusing hours of training and combat, and throughout all the long days of a hopeful Victory, keep his spirit high and his purpose unwavering. Make him a proud pal to all with whom he comes in contact, and make his influence a noonday light wherever his duty takes him. Nourish that boy of mine with the love that I gave to him at birth. Satisfy the hunger of his soul with the knowledge of this daily prayer of mine.

To my country, and to world Freedom, O Heavenly Father, have I bequeathed this boy of mine. He is my choicest treasure. Take care of him. Keep him in health and sustain him under every possible circumstance of events. I once warmed him, under my heart. You warm him anew under his shelter and under the stars. Touch him with my smile of cheer and comfort, and my full confidence in his every brave pursuit.

Silent and alone, I pray, God, but I am only one of millions of Mothers whose prayers stream day and night to you. This is our Gethsemane. Lead us victoriously through it. And lead that boy of mine through his. Fail him not – and may he not fail You, his Country, nor the Mother who bore him.

500-acre war plant ready to build bomber engines

Dodge’s main Chicago structure big enough to house Willow Run and then some

Fire sweeps New Jersey resort

$1-million damage seen at Wildwood

Presses of Army rolling out tons of publications

Total volume almost equals government printing office – distribution problems unparalleled in civilian life
By Robert Taylor, Press Washington correspondent

Treanor: Artillery champ tells about his very best effort

It wasn’t the time Lt. Kilcollins got 17 Germans with a single shell, but even that was nice shooting
By Tom Treanor, United Press staff writer

Henry: Italian Prince rides in jeep, assists driver

By Thomas R. Henry, North American Newspaper Alliance

Allies wreck 172 Jap barges

Planes, PT boats batter enemy supply line

Australian foreign policy again turns towards Britain

‘Down Under’ country appreciates U.S. help, but remembers it is part of empire
By George Weller (special radio), The Chicago Daily News Foreign Service

Turn-in of war bonds reported exaggerated

Russians give warm praise to Yanks in Italy

Morale and ability of U.S. troops lauded by Red observers
By John Lardner, North American Newspaper Alliance

Poll: Farmers dislike administration’s waste, red tape

Reasons given for defection from party include coddling of labor and price-curb policy
By Dr. George Gallup, Director, American Institute of Public Opinion

Of all major groups in the voting population, farmers have shown some of the sharpest defection from the New Deal.

All signs indicate that if presidential election were held today, farmers outside the solid South would go Republican by a substantial majority.

Today’s survey attempts to answer the all-important question of why farmers have turned against the New Deal.

Interviewers’ reports reveal that farmers have three chief complaints at present against the Roosevelt administration.

• The farmers accuse the administration of wastefulness and extravagance in the spending of public funds for non-military projects. Many speak of:

…squandering money on every project… finances being handled on too loose a setup… not enough results for money spent… too many costly bureaus eating up salaries which the taxpayers have to pay.

• The farmers are critical of what they consider poor management of domestic affairs by the government and excessive regulation and red tape imposed on farmers by Washington.

Too much government control… too many irritating little rules… Washington bureaucrats try to dictate to us… Farmers don’t need to be told every little thing to do.

• There is strenuous farm objection to the administration’s labor policy. Objections are stated like this:

Roosevelt is coddling the unions… He can’t seem to stop strikes in wartime… He shouldn’t have given in to Lewis… Labor unions get a free hand while farmers are regimented.

The full list of farm criticisms follows:

Interviewing Date 11/25 – 12/1/43
Survey #307-K
Question #2b

Farmers were asked: What do you dislike most about the way the Roosevelt administration is handling things?

Government extravagance 20%
Incompetent and dictatorial management of home affairs, especially with farm problems 15%
Coddling of labor 13%
Farm programs not effective 11%
Bad job of rationing 6%
Failure to keep prices down 2%
Miscellaneous 13%
No complaint 20%

The farmers also have good things to say about Washington.

War policy liked

The results show that the handling of the war is placed at the top of the list.

Next in esteem comes the administration’s foreign policy. Next is the farm program. Other farmers commented favorably on the administration’s efforts to help poor people through Social Security and on attempts to bring about social democracy by giving underprivileged classes more consideration.

Midwest trend

The more rural areas of the country north of the Mason-Dixon Line, which began to turn Republican as early as 1936, are today showing an accelerated trend toward the GOP. A recent Institute study found that of the 1,058 counties in the great Midwest farm belt of America, no less than 925 now want a Republican victory in 1944. In 1936, only 236 went Republican, and in 1940, 763.

The shift in political sentiment can be seen from the following table:

MIDWEST FARMERS

1936 1940 Today
Democratic 56% 45% 40%
Republican 44% 55% 60%

Binder: Reprisal threats indicate measure of Nazi depravity

Berlin assumes Allies will be too easygoing to punish Germans for their war crimes
By Carroll Binder, The Chicago Daily News foreign editor

35-man court may be set up on war crimes

Plan for trying of Hitler and others to be ready early next year
By Leo S. Disher, United Press staff writer

London, England (UP) – (Dec. 25)
The first detailed draft of a plan for establishment of an international court to try Adolf Hitler and other war criminals is likely to be submitted early next year to the United Nations Commission investigating war crimes, it was learned today.

The plan, it was understood, foresees creation of a court of 35 international jurists in London with powers to try any war criminals, including heads of states.

The draft plan of 62 articles was drawn by a Belgian judge, Marcel de Baer, who is in the United States at present. He is chairman of an unofficial body known as the “International Assembly” whose experts in the past two years have been studying the question of bringing war criminals to justice.

Defines war crimes

The draft defines war crimes as:

Any grave outrages violating the general principles of criminal law as recognized by civilized nations and committed in wartime or connected with the preparation, waging or prosecution of war or perpetuated with a view to preventing the restoration of peace.

It was learned that it states war crimes could be committed either by direct action or by aiding or ordering them.

According to this plan, the international court would try war criminals, including the heads of states, when domestic courts of any United Nations would be without jurisdiction or unable to handle such trials themselves. The language of the court would be English.

Plan seven-year terms

Thirty-five judges, primarily authorities of international law, would have a seven-year term and be eligible for reelection. The president and vice president each would have two-year term.

The court, it was understood, would have a body of “international constabulary” available to execute its orders. Hearings would be public, but the judges’ deliberations would be private and decisions would be reached by a majority vote.

Work started on two carriers for big planes

Super craft designed for bi-motored bombers; three planned

Roosevelt’s labor policies may be made issue by Morse

WLB member may quit, run for Senate in protest at ‘surrender’ to unions’ pressure
By Jay G. Hayden, North American Newspaper Alliance

In Washington –
2 committees will compete for bonus bill

Rankin, military affairs group stake claims to jurisdiction

Millett: Rosy after-war pictures may be little optimistic

Some folks will live in luxury and ease but it isn’t fair to make too liberal promises
By Ruth Millett