Auto industry approaches $10-billion rate in war output
By Julian Chase, Automotive and Aviation Industries editor

Shopping rush boosts store sales 10-25%

Books set record as gifts; demand for jewelry, fur coats soars
By the United Press

The home front –
State offers free vocational training to disabled veterans denied U.S. aid

As much as 4 years’ schooling provided under plan

Völkischer Beobachter (December 22, 1943)

williamsmurderinc
Unser Bild zeigt den amerikanischen Flieger Kenneth D. Williams aus Charlotte (North Carolina) 1504 Scott Avenue, geb. am 16. Mai 1922. Williams wurde, wie schon gemeldet, bei Eggese (Groß-Mackenstedt) abgeschossen. Er gehört zu den feindlichen Terrorfliegern, die ihre Bomben auf Frauen und Kinder und auf die Wohnviertel deutscher Städte werfen. Die Staffel – der seine Maschine, eine Boeing-Fortress II, angehörte – trägt offiziell die Bezeichnung „Murder Incorporation,“ zu Deutsch „Mordverein.“ Diese Bezeichnung trägt weiter jedes einzelne Besatzungsmitglied in großer Schrift auf der Rückseite der Fliegerkombination über dem amerikanischen Hoheitszeichen. Der Gefangene Williams gab im übrigen bei seiner Vernehmung an, daß andere Staffeln und Besatzungen auf ähnliche Bezeichnungen, die aus der Gangstersprache entnommen sind, getauft wurden. Die Physiognomie des amerikanischen Fliegers Williams läßt darauf schließen, daß nicht nur die Namen, sondern auch die Besatzungen der Chicagoer Unterwelt entstammen.

Der Heldenkampf der Japaner auf Makin und Tarawa –
Nur die Toten schieden aus

U.S. State Department (December 22, 1943)

841d.01/228: Telegram

The Ambassador in the United Kingdom to the Secretary of State

London, December 22, 1943 — 4 p.m.

Personal and secret to the Secretary.

Your 8004, December 18, Department’s 7184, November 13, was held by the Embassy until my return and because of the absence of both Eden and the Prime Minister. I explained the British position on this issue to the President in Cairo, having taken the matter up at great length with the Prime Minister on my journey out there with him. I understood the President would talk with the Prime Minister on this subject but do not know the results of their discussion.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

WINANT

890E.00/340

The Diplomatic Agent in Lebanon to the Secretary of State

Beirut, December 22, 1943

I should, I believe, add the following report regarding my brief conversation in Cairo with the President:

Summoned by telephone message from Mr. Kirk, I arrived in Cairo the evening of December 2 and was received by the President the following afternoon. In reply to questions, I gave a brief review of the Lebanese crisis; then presented President Khouri’s letter.

I explained that I had brought the letter personally in the thought that, should it be thought appropriate that personal reply be made from Cairo, an expression of satisfaction at the outcome of the crisis might be added to the usual formal acknowledgment and good wishes.

The President appeared to welcome this suggestion and asked that a reply in the suggested sense be drafted for his signature. He asked that it include mention of the fact that, had time and duties permitted, he would have desired personally to visit Lebanon. I was, too, to convey to President Khouri, but not to include in the letter, Mr. Roosevelt’s keen personal interest in reforestation, a subject which possesses particular historical as well as current interest to Lebanon.

The latter message has been delivered. It was received with evidently sincere interest and appreciation.

The aspect of the Lebanese crisis in which President Roosevelt seemed to take special interest was as to whether General de Gaulle was personally responsible for the dictatorial action taken by Monsieur Helleu in suspending the Lebanese Constitution, proroguing Parliament and imprisoning President and ministers.

I could only answer that rumour and report in Beirut, which I tended to credit, had it that Helleu had acted under de Gaulle’s general instructions and that de Gaulle had later approved Helleu’s action in the matter. General Catroux, I added, had been categorical in insisting that, in his opinion, Helleu had misinterpreted and exceeded them.

GEORGE WADSWORTH

740.00119 EW 1939/2036

The British Embassy to the Department of State

Washington, December 22, 1943
Secret

Aide Mémoire

The Tehran Conference considered the question of a joint declaration to the German people on the basis of unconditional surrender. Marshal Stalin informed President Roosevelt on November 29 that he thought this would be bad tactics vis-à-vis of Germany and suggested instead that the Allied Governments concerned should work out terms together and make them generally known to the German people.

Mr. Eden suggests that this matter should be dealt with as soon as possible by the European Advisory Commission. He hopes that, if the United States Government agree, they will send appropriate instructions in this sense to their representative on the Commission.

The Pittsburgh Press (December 22, 1943)

NAZIS THREATEN TO PUNISH U.S. PRISONERS
Berlin maps revenge for Soviet trial

German Army courts will deal with American, British captives
By Robert Dowson, United Press staff writer

Yanks raid Germany again

8th Air Force fighters support bombers in daylight smash
By Walter Cronkite, United Press staff writer

Two savage battles rage on Italian front

Fierce battles in Italy; Yanks gains two miles
By C. R. Cunningham, United Press staff writer

Strike peril grows –
Rail unions widen their wage demand

8¢ an hour increase, overtime separate now asked

Rail problem poses big job for Roosevelt

President shows he will tackle wage case in person
By Fred W. Perkins, Pittsburgh Press staff writer

Best Christmas gift ever –
Wife receives cable ‘dead’ flier is safe

Family here rejoices over ‘miracle’ that saved airman

Jury studies Bioff’s story of extortion

Fate of seven men rests with panel in U.S. court

Hull questions Bolivian coup

Secretary fears that Axis may have helped

In Washington –
Subsidy battle carried on by Bowles and farm groups

Price chief warns all prices are at stake; opposition whips up opinion

Soldier vote fight renewed by Roosevelt

Compromise for Army, Navy ballot distribution is promoted
By Thomas L. Stokes, Scripps-Howard staff writer

Apology given for attack on U.S. consulate

Action by Spain follows protest by U.S. Ambassador

Private wins top medal for aiding wounded men

Gen. Marshall ends tour of Pacific bases

U.S. Army chief presents Cairo parley results to MacArthur
By William F. Tyree, United Press staff writer

Yanks wage bloody battle for San Pietro in Italy

Americans pour up stair-like approaches in face of machine guns leveled knee-high
By John Lardner, North American Newspaper Alliance

Yank bumps into German, bests him as marksman

Nazi pleads for aid, but dies before U.S. officer has time to provide treatment
By Tom Treanor, United Press special writer

Allied bombers hammer Japanese ships at Rabaul

6,000-ton supply vessel sunk, two are damaged; other craft battered near Kavieng
By Brydon C. Taves, United Press staff writer