Somewhere in Italy –
Street urchins and profiteers pain to Yanks

They’re worse than Arabs and Sicilians, writer says
By Thomas R. Henry, North American Newspaper Alliance

New York has too many saloons, La Guardia warns

Mayor hints to ministers that he will submit question to state authorities

White House statement on signing the bill to repeal the Chinese Exclusion Laws
December 17, 1943

It is with particular pride and pleasure that I have today signed the bill repealing the Chinese Exclusion Laws. The Chinese people, I am sure, will take pleasure in knowing that this represents a manifestation on the part of the American people of their affection and regard.

An unfortunate barrier between allies has been removed. The war effort in the Far East can now be carried on with a greater vigor and a larger understanding of our common purpose.

Völkischer Beobachter (December 18, 1943)

Schlaglichter aus ‚Gottes eigenem Land‘ –
Judengangster plündern Hollywood

Filmdirektoren und Politiker mit Verbrechern unter einer Decke

Wie es in der ‚demokratischen Weltfamilie‘ zugehen soll –
Sowjetparadies für Europa gedacht

Von unserem Berner Berichterstatter

U.S. Navy Department (December 18, 1943)

CINCPAC Press Release No. 200

For Immediate Release
December 18, 1943

The Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Pacific Fleet, has received the following message from Sir Philip Mitchell, Governor of Fiji and British High Com­missioner for the Western Pacific:

May I express to you the warmest congratulations and most sincere gratitude of myself and people of Fiji and High Commission territories and especially of the Gilbert Islands for brilliantly planned and heroically executed operation for capture of Gilbert Islands. After personal visit to Betio I can understand the grimness of the task, the masterly way your bold blow was struck and the incomparable courage of the men who struck it. We join you in mourning for the brave men who died. We salute a great feat of arms.

U.S. State Department (December 18, 1943)

President Roosevelt to Marshal Stalin

Cairo, December 3 [18], 1943

Dear Marshal Stalin, The weather conditions were ideal for crossing the mountains the day of our departure from Teheran so that we had an easy and comfortable flight to Cairo. I hasten to send you my personal thanks for your thoughtfulness and hospitality in providing living quarters for me in your Embassy at Teheran. I was not only extremely comfortable there but I am very conscious of how much more we were able to accomplish in a brief period of time because we were such close neighbors throughout our stay.

I view those momentous days of our meeting with the greatest satisfaction as being an important milestone in the progress of human affairs. I thank you and the members of your staff and household for the many kindnesses to me and to the members of my staff.

I am just starting home and will visit my troops in Italy on the way.

Cordially yours,
FDR

President Roosevelt to the British Minister of Information

Washington, December 18, 1943

Dear Brendan: Since my return to Washington, I have received a more complete report of the confusions over publicity which arose at Cairo and Teheran.

Whatever the causes, I am greatly disturbed at the results. Not only did the newspapers, news services, and broadcasters of the United States suffer a heavy penalty because they kept confidence and observed the designated release dates, but non-observance elsewhere has engendered bitter reproaches and many charges of bad faith. Such a condition is distinctly damaging to that unity of purpose and action which the conferences at Cairo and Teheran were designed to promote.

I am resolved that we will not risk a repetition. Consequently, I have decided that hereafter no news having a security value will be issued by the Government for future release, but that all such news will be given out instead at the earliest moment consistent with safety, for immediate publication and broadcast. I have issued instructions to that effect to the various departments and agencies.

Very sincerely yours,
FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT

The Pittsburgh Press (December 18, 1943)

ALLIES DRIVE INTO ITALIAN TOWNS
Yanks clash with division from Russia

British wreck 13 tanks, seize 2 at anchor of German line
By C. R. Cunningham, United Press staff writer

Jap resistance crushed by Americans at Arawe

6th Army advances into jungles from landing in New Britain
By Brydon C. Taves, United Press staff writer

Plot to slay ‘Big three’ is told by Roosevelt

President moved into Red Embassy at Tehran as safeguard
By Merriman Smith, United Press staff writer

Marshall to stay as chief, service publications say

Unofficial Army & Navy Register and Journal disagree on who is to head Channel invasion

Wreck of flyers blamed on lack of warning signal

Engineer, suffering from flu, says he didn’t have ‘Chinaman’s chance’ to prevent tragedy

Law called pious thought –
McNutt restored to draft picture by official decree

Action to delay induction of fathers to be interpreted by Roosevelt in message to Congress
By Daniel M. Kidney, Scripps-Howard staff writer

Peak foreseen in the spread of influenza

Health officials warn that care is still in order

Editorial: Boom in mail business

Editorial: Try to be fair