Slicing of Jap Empire poses big problem

Demands of Russia not yet known

U.S. fosters democracy for Japan

MacArthur may offer some policy changes

U.S. State Department (August 15, 1945)

740.00119 PW/8-1545: Telegram

The Secretary of State to the Ambassador in the United Kingdom

Washington, August 15, 1945 — 4 p.m.

The President has issued to General MacArthur the directive hereafter quoted with its two annexes. Please convey the text of this directive and annexes to the Government to which you are accredited for its information as top secret documents.

[Here follow texts of three documents of August 13, printed on pages 647, 648, and 649.]

BYRNES

740.00116 PW/8-1545: Telegram

The Ambassador in the United Kingdom to the Secretary of State

London, August 15, 1945 — 6 p.m.
[Received August 15 — 4:40 p.m.]

From Hodgson. Lord Wright informed me Aug 15 that he will not propose to put Emperor’s name on list. He said he would await US action. He expressed similar views in respect preparing and adopting list of major Jap war criminals. His assistant Oldham confirmed these views and said Lord Wright had been misunderstood. [Hodgson.]

WINANT

The Ambassador in the Soviet Union to the Secretary of State

Moscow, 15 August, 1945
M25313

Molotov requested me to call this evening. He read to me the following statement:

In the declaration of the Japanese Government to the Governments of the United States of America, the Soviet Union, Great Britain and China dated August 14, it is stated that in connection with the issuance of a rescript by the Japanese Emperor concerning the acceptance by Japan of the conditions of the Potsdam Declaration Japan was prepared to issue orders to all military, naval and air authorities of Japan and to all the armed forces under their jurisdiction, wherever they might be, to cease military operations and to surrender their arms.

The rescript of the Japanese Emperor published at noon August 15 contains no order, as mentioned in the Declaration of the Japanese Government of August 15. This rescript is only a declaration of a general character.

The Soviet Government considers it necessary to take urgent measures for the immediate issuance of a rescript by the Japanese Emperor which will contain an order to all the Japanese armed forces, where-ever they might be, to cease hostilities, to capitulate to the Allied forces, including the Soviet forces, and to surrender their arms.

The Soviet Government awaits the receipt from the Government of the United States of America of information as to when the above-mentioned order concerning the capitulation of the Japanese forces will be issued and as to the date on which the act of capitulation of Japan will be signed.

I informed Molotov that we had received a summary of the reply which we had made through the Swiss Government to the Japanese acceptance of the surrender terms and advised him of the contents of Army cable Number 1409 plain text message Marshall to MacArthur, August 14. I stated that as in the case of the Japanese acceptance some time might elapse before this reply was received by the Japanese. I also explained that General Deane had requested General Antonov in writing to assist in relaying the message from General MacArthur to Tokyo contained in Army cable Number (MacArthur’s number 0500) August 15 and gave him the gist of this message.

Molotov asked me whether there had been any actual surrenders up to the present time, to which I replied that I had thus far received no information.

I hope I may be urgently informed this day (via Army channels) of all developments in order to pass them on to Molotov.

[HARRIMAN]

740.00116 PW/8-1545: Telegram

The Ambassador in the United Kingdom to the Secretary of State

London, August 15, 1945 — 6 p.m.
[Received 6:50 p.m.]

From Hodgson.

Lord Wright, Chairman of War Crimes Commission, informed me on Aug 14 that he believed that Commission should immediately prepare and adopt list of major Jap war criminals responsible for plans and policies which resulted in war crimes such as attack on Pearl Harbor. He deplored lack of information and said that at meeting of Commission to be held on Aug 15 at 3 in afternoon he intended to move that name of Hirohito, Emperor of Japan, be placed on Commission’s list of Japanese war criminals. He said that it was urgent that this action be taken immediately. However, he desires views of US Govt in this regard and while he made no promises he indicated that he would give those views great weight and might be governed accordingly. I feel that he is acting at instance of Australian Govt. Instructions are requested on the proposed motion and the views that should be given to Lord Wright.

Lord Wright also inquired whether the US Govt has prepared a list of the major Jap war criminals mentioned above. He said that it would be of great assistance to the Commission if the US would transmit such a list for adoption by the Commission at an early date for he feels that it is urgent that Commission take action. He is greatly disturbed over this situation and extremely anxious that US submit such a list. Information is requested in this regard.

Throughout conversation Lord Wright indicated that he desired to follow views of US Govt and was very anxious to receive them. He urged me to request instructions and information and said that while I might not be free to divulge any instructions which might be received, my vote on his motion would give him a lead as to the action which US believed the Commission should take.

Commission will probably adopt recommendations concerning investigation, apprehension, trial and punishment of Jap war criminals at special meeting of Commission to be held on Aug 17. [Hodgson]

After reading this message (No. 8279) which was brought to the Embassy Tuesday of this week for forwarding, I at once got in contact with the FonOff and asked that it intervene to prevent Lord Wright carrying out his suggestion to call a meeting in order to put the Jap Emperor and other Japs on the list of war criminals. The Four Powers were waiting at that time to get the reply from Tokyo announcing the Jap surrender.

Please read Embassy’s 8280, Aug 15 from Hodgson in which Wright states he does not propose to list the Emperor’s name and said he would await US action.

WINANT

The Secretary of State to the Ambassador in the Soviet Union

Washington, August 15, 1945 — 7 p.m.

Your No. M25313 via War Department, August 15, 1945. Documents sent in my telegram of today’s date, namely, Directive to General MacArthur with its annexes (1) Proclamation by the Emperor of Japan and (2) Instrument of Surrender, fully cover, I believe, the points raised by Mr. Molotov in his statement to you.

No surrenders have occurred to our knowledge nor have we any report that emissaries have as yet arrived. These matters are being dealt with from now on by General MacArthur.

BYRNES

The Syonan Shimbun (August 16, 1945)

Nippon medicines found to cure war injuries rapidly, effectively

New drugs in tablet form used widely

Foe admits smashing aerial assault on British task force

Yankee ruthlessness unmasked

Atomic bombing described

Swiss condemnation of atomic bomb

Editorial: Little Utopias

Salzburger Nachrichten (August 16, 1945)

Truman zur Kapitulation

MacArthur führt die Verhandlungen

Das Ende des Krieges

Thronrede Georg VI.

Japaner zur Kampfeinstellung aufgefordert

Der Sieg in der alliierten Presse

Äußerung Suzukis