1940 Katyn massacre revelations (4-13-43)

U.S. State Department (May 1, 1943)

760C.61/1063: Telegram

The Ambassador to the Polish Government-in-Exile to the Secretary of State

London, May 1, 1943 — 8 p.m.
[Received May 1 — 5:33 p.m.]

Polish Series [No.] 27.

Sikorski states that Mr. Eden disclosed yesterday that Moscow was insisting upon Sikorski’s personally making a public statement that he was withdrawing his Government’s request for an International Red Cross investigation. He explained to Mr. Eden that he could not do so. He had suggested, however, as an alternative, that the BBC be permitted to broadcast a statement by the “Polish Telegraph Agency” to effect that it had been learned that the Polish Government regarded its appeal to the International Red Cross to have lapsed, following the latter’s reply explaining the difficulties in the way of complying with the Polish request for an investigation. According to Sikorski, Mr. Eden accepted this suggestion and the aforementioned statement was accordingly broadcast last night.

Whether this form of statement satisfied Moscow’s request remains to be seen. The only indication thus far of Moscow’s reaction in the matter is a biting criticism in today’s Daily Worker by the “Diplomatic Correspondent” describing the aforementioned statement as an “impudent gesture at the United Nations”, and “a piece of somewhat shop-soiled political ventriloquism”.

Sikorski feels that the British Government is not apt to receive Moscow’s official reaction either to the aforementioned statement or to the Polish Government’s statement of April 28 before Sunday or Monday.

BIDDLE

U.S. State Department (May 2, 1943)

760C.61/1064: Telegram

London, May 2, 1943 — 8 p.m.
[Received May 2 — 8 p.m.]

Polish Series [No.] 28.

In lengthy conversation with Russian Ambassador Bogomolov, the greater part of his remarks took the form of a tirade against (a) the provocative tone of the Polish press since he had assumed duties here; (b) the attitude of the Polish Government in general, and of the “viciously anti-Soviet element” thereof in particular.

Evaluating the implications both of his comments and of the continued brutal tone both of the Moscow press and of the Moscow-inspired press here, I have the impression:

1. that Moscow had prepared its case against the Polish Government at the time of or perhaps even previous to the despatch of the Russian note of January 16, 1943, which in effect declared all Poles in the USSR Soviet Citizens;

2. that Moscow had been merely awaiting a pretext which it might turn to the advantage of its own forward-looking interests;

3. that, from the Russian standpoint, the fundamental issues involved go beyond even the question of the Polish-Russian frontiers, and include other Russian postwar “security frontier” aspirations in the “middle zone”;

4. that Moscow intends to make the most of the present political crisis with a view to gaining Washington’s and London’s consent to its envisaged territorial “claims”, at a time when, according to the Polish authorities, Moscow reportedly considers that both we and the British would be “reluctant to offend Moscow”; (it was not insignificant, in this connection, that in its stiff note suspending diplomatic relations with the Polish Government, Moscow took the opportunity to state publicly and officially for the first time that it considered Polish Ukraine, White Russia and Lithuania as already a part of the Soviet Union).

Holding that the situation called for a reconstruction of the Polish Government, Bogomolov pointedly denied that Moscow had in mind the formation of a “Polish National Committee” on Russian soil. He considered there were sufficient Poles here from among whom a “more reasonable and realistic” government than the present one might be formed here. If the present crisis, he added, led to the removal from the Polish Government of the “fifth columnists” which constantly threatened the solidarity of the United Nations, the situation would have netted a victory for the latter, rather than for Dr. Goebbels.

In this connection, I gained the impression that his indignation is directed particularly at Minister of Post War Reconstruction Seyda and at Minister of Information Kot, formerly Ambassador to Moscow. Bogomolov indicated his suspicion that the request for International Red Cross investigation was conceived by Kot, and that he had written the text of the communiqué concerned. (I am aware of Kot’s responsibility in this connection, and am informed by Sikorski’s closest associates that after Kot had written the communiqué he succeeded in influencing Sikorski over the telephone, at moment when latter was tired and ill, to permit him to release it; that when, on second thought, Sikorski had wished to withdraw it, it was already in hands of the press.)

In this connection, and with a view to the future, I have made clear to Sikorski that it was my personal opinion that this “diplomatic blunder” had offered Moscow a pretext for coming to grips with his Government; that the fact that the latter had failed to consult with either Washington or London or both before releasing the communiqué, had unfortunately created the impression in my mind to effect that when his Government was making trouble it preferred not to consult us; when it got into trouble it looked to us to get it out. In accepting these remarks as my personal reaction he assured me that he greeted them with full comprehension.

BIDDLE

On the point, but ignored.

1 Like

U.S. State Department (May 3, 1943)

760C.61/1065: Telegram

The Ambassador in the United Kingdom to the Secretary of State

London, May 3, 1943 — 1 p.m.
[Received May 3 — 10:10 a.m.]

Sunday evening Strang called me to tell me that the Polish Ambassador was leaving Kuibyshev and that the Poles had asked the British to take over their interests which the British refused to do on the ground that they were negotiating. The Poles then, I understand from Strang, asked us to take over their interests which he told me the Poles said we were unwilling to do. Strang suggested to Eden, who was at his country place, that Eden ask the Prime Minister to cable the President suggesting that we reverse our position. Eden had replied to Strang on the telephone by instructing him to ask my advice. I suggested that they cable all the facts to Washington and that Lord Halifax take up the matter with you.

The British naturally do not wish the Poles to ask the Swiss in particular or the Swedes or other Allied refugee governments to act for Polish interests in this situation. I told Strang I realized they were confronted with a serious problem but that I felt our strength lay in joint action to bring about a rapprochement between the Russians and the Poles and that I did not feel with the limited information I had, I could recommend to you that we represent the Poles in Kuibyshev and that the British do the negotiating. I recognize, however, that to keep the Poles satisfied we must find a constructive formula to protect their interests in Russia if they are to follow our advice.

Strang told me he would ask Halifax to tell you that I had suggested he take up this problem directly with you.

I understand that Maisky told the Prime Minister that the Russians had no intention of setting up an independent Polish Government in Russia and that the Foreign Office believes Maisky would not have made this statement without being so informed by his Government.

WINANT

704.60C61/5½

Memorandum of Conversation, by the Secretary of State

Washington, May 3, 1943.

The British Ambassador called at his request and handed me an aide-mémoire (copy attached), in which the British urged this Government to agree to look after the interests of Poland at Moscow pending the reestablishment of diplomatic relations between those Governments. The Ambassador read the aide-mémoire and when he reached the end of the first paragraph, in which the British Government said it was not in a position to perform this function, I said that this likewise well expresses the situation of the United States.

I then added that both our Governments should be in a position at all times to exert their best efforts and influence to restore relations between Russia and Poland; that this influence is liable to be impaired, as the British aide-mémoire well states, if one of our Governments agrees to represent the interests of Poland at Moscow. I stated that the Russians, being a very suspicious people, were not favorably disposed toward this policy in any respect and that it would be easy for either the British or this Government to jeopardize its good standing with Russia, which is all-important to maintain for the present and the future as well. I went on to say that our two Governments can do much more for Poland and what is of even more importance for the United Nations’ cause by exercising our fullest influence, not only to restore relations between Russia and Poland, but also to persuade Russia that she simply must desist from this sort of flare-up from time to time in the future. I added that the recent Polish-Russian diplomatic break has done great injury to the Allied cause and that to avoid a repetition of it is the most important problem presented now and if Russia can be persuaded to see these broader aspects of the situation in which she and all the United Nations are alike vitally interested, the more or less personal matters between Poland and Russia will almost automatically iron themselves out. In any event, this first broad step is the most important step that can be taken from the standpoint of the differences between Russia and Poland. I said further that Great Britain and the United States should exert themselves to the utmost to solve this paramount question; that in the meantime Poland would have virtually no interests to be looked after and that if she did she would be coming to Great Britain and the United States just as she has frequently done in the past to point out her troubles with Russia and urge both Great Britain and the United States to aid her in getting them solved with the result that each of our Governments would do the best possible without, of course, making ourselves partisans of either side. In these circumstances, I said that it seemed to me that the Polish Government should quickly see that this Government, as well as the Government of Great Britain, can render much more valuable service first to the general cause and second to Poland herself without running the risk of jeopardizing their standing and influence with Russia by either Government agreeing to look after the interests of Poland at Moscow in a formal sense. I said that, of course, this Government like that of Great Britain is most desirous of being of every feasible service to the Poles both as a government and a people and expects to see a new Poland reconstituted at the end of the war.

I promised the British Ambassador that I would confer with the President and let him know the President’s views in this regard. I do [did] so and later spoke with the Ambassador over the telephone and said that the President was in harmony with the views expressed by me to the Ambassador and set out hereinbefore. The Ambassador said that he would send this message to his Government. He did not undertake to argue it. He made very feeble efforts at the beginning of our earlier conversation to press the British viewpoint, but the first paragraph of the aide-mémoire was most difficult for him to get over.

CORDELL HULL

Völkischer Beobachter (May 4, 1943)

Europäische Gerichtsmediziner von Weltruf in Katyn
Judas Blutschuld wissenschaftlich bewiesen

vb. Wien, 3. Mai –
Eine Reihe hervorragender Mediziner von zwölf bekannten Hochschulen Europas, darunter führende Vertreter der gerichtlichen Medizin von Weltruf, haben sich auf deutsche Einladung hin zur Mordstätte im Wald von Katyn begeben und dort drei Tage lang eingehende Untersuchungen angestellt. In einem Protokoll haben sie festgestellt, daß die Opfer der jüdisch-bolschewisti­schen Massenmörder sämtlich durch den GPU.- Genickschuß getötet wurden, daß diese Ermordung der polnischen Offiziere mindestens drei Jahre zurückliegt und eine Umlagerung der Leichen in dieser Zeit nicht stattgefunden hat.

Die Untersuchung bestätigt also in allen Punkten die bisherigen Angaben über das Blutbad und die Schilderungen der zahlreichen Augenzeugen, die am Tatort weilten. Die krampfhaften Notlügen der Kremljuden und ihrer englischen Nachbeter erweisen sich demgemäß nur als weitere Schuldbekenntnisse. Wir lassen nun das Protokoll in seinem Wortlaut folgen:

Protokoll

aufgenommen anläßlich der Untersuchung von Massengräbern polnischer Offiziere im Walde von Katyn bei Smolensk, die durch eine Kommission führender Vertreter der gerichtlichen Medizin und Kriminalistik europäischer Hochschulen und anderer namhafter medizinischer Hochschullehrer durchgeführt wurde.

In der Zeit vom 28. bis 30. April 1943 hat eine Kommission führender Vertreter der gerichtlichen Medizin und Kriminalistik europäischer Hochschulen und anderer namhafter medizinischer Hochschullehrer die Massengräber polnischer Offiziere im Walde von Katyn bei Smolensk einer eingehenden wissenschaftlichen Untersuchung unterzogen.

Die Kommission bestand aus folgenden Herren:

1. BELGIEN: Dr. Speleers, ord. Professor der Augenheilkunde an der Universität Gent,

2. BULGARIEN: Dr. Markov, ord. Dozent für gerichtliche Medizin und Kriminalistik an der Universität Sofia,

3. DÄNEMARK: Dr. Tramsen, Prosektor am Institut für gerichtliche Medizin in Kopenhagen,

4. FINNLAND: Dr. Saxen, ord. Professor der pathologischen Anatomie an der Universität in Helsinki,

5. ITALIEN: Dr. Palmieri, ord. Professor der gerichtlichen Medizin und Kriminalistik an der Universität Neapel,

6. KROATIEN: Dr. Miloslawich, ord. Professor der gerichtlichen Medizin und Kriminalistik an der Universität Agram,

7. NIEDERLANDE: Dr. de Burlet, ord. Professor der Anatomie an der Universität in Groningen,

8. PROTEKTORAT BÖHMEN UND MÄHREN: Doktor Hájek, ord. Professor der gerichtlichen Medizin und Kriminalistik in Prag,

9. RUMÄNIEN: Dr. Birkle, Gerichtsarzt des rumänischen Justizministeriums und Erster Assistent am Institut für gerichtliche Medizin und Kriminalistik in Bukarest,

10. SCHWEIZ: Dr. Naville, ord. Professor der gerichtlichen Medizin an der Universität Genf,

11. SLOWAKEI: Dr. Subik, ord. Professor der pathologischen Anatomie an der Universität in Preßburg, Chef des staatlichen Gesundheitswesens der Slowakei,

12. UNGARN: Dr. Orsos, ord. Professor der gerichtlichen Medizin und Kriminalistik an der Universität Budapest.

Bei den Arbeiten und Beratungen der Delegation waren ferner anwesend:

1. Der vom Oberkommando der deutschen Wehrmacht mit der Leitung der Ausgrabungen in Katyn beauftragte ordentliche Professor der gerichtlichen Medizin und Kriminalistik an der Universität Breslau, Dr. Buhtz,

2. Medecin-Inspecteur Di. Costedoat, der vom Chef der französischen Regierung beauftragt worden war, den Arbeiten der Kommission beizuwohnen.

Die vor kurzem zur Kenntnis der deutschen Behörde gekommene Entdeckung von Massengräbern polnischer Offiziere im Walde von Katyn bei Smolensk hat den Reichsgesundheitsführer Dr. Conti dazu veranlaßt, die oben genannten Fachgelehrten aus verschiedenen europäischen Ländern zur Besichtigung der Fundstelle nach Katyn einzuladen, um zur Klärung dieses einzigartigen Falles beizutragen.

Die Kommission vernahm persönlich einige russische einheimische Zeugen, die unter anderem bestätigten, daß in den Monaten März und April 1940 fast täglich größere Eisenbahntransporte mit polnischen Offizieren auf dem nahe bei Katyn gelegenen Bahnhof Gniesdowo ausgeladen, in Gefangenenautos nach dem Wald von Katyn transportiert, später nie wieder gesehen wurden. Sie nahm ferner Kenntnis von den bisherigen Befunden und Feststellungen und besichtigte die aufgefundenen Beweisstücke. Hienach sind bis zum 30. April 1943 982 Leichen ausgegraben worden. Davon wurden etwa 70 Prozent sofort identifiziert, während die Papiere der übrigen erst nach sorgfältiger Vorbehandlung zur Identifizierung verwertet werden können. Die vor dem Eintreffen der Kommission ausgegrabenen Leichen sind sämtlich besichtigt, in größerer Zahl auch obduziert worden, und zwar durch Professor Buhtz und seine Mitarbeiter. Bis zum heutigen Tage wurden sieben Massengräber eröffnet, deren größtes schätzungsweise 2500 Offiziersleichen enthält.

Von den Mitgliedern der Kommission wurden persönlich neun Leichen obduziert und zahlreiche, besonders ausgewählte Fälle einer Leichenschau unterzogen.

Die gerichtsmedizinischen Ergebnisse

Als Todesursache der sämtlich bisher ausgegrabenen Leichen wurde ausnahmslos Kopfschuß festgestellt. Es handelt sich durchweg um Genickschüsse, und zwar überwiegend um einfache Genickschüsse, in seltenen Fällen um doppelte Genickschüsse, in einem einzigen Fall um einen dreifachen Genickschuß. Der Einschuß sitzt durchweg tief im Genick und führt in den Knochen des Hinterhauptbeins, nahe am Hinterhauptloch hinein, während der Ausschuß in der Regel in der Gegend der Stirn-Haargrenze, in ganz seltenen Fällen tiefer liegt. Es handelt sich durchweg um Pistolenschüsse von einem Kaliber von unter 8 Millimeter.

Mit ‚geübter Hand‘

Aus der Sprengung des Schädels und dem Befund von Pulverrauch am Hinterhauptknochen in der Nähe des Einschusses sowie aus der gleichartigen Lokalisierung der Einschüsse ist auf Schuß mit aufgesetzter Mündung oder aus unmittelbarster Nähe zu schließen, zumal auch die Richtung des Schußkanals mit wenigen geringen Abweichungen durchweg gleichartig ist. Die auffallende Gleichartigkeit der Verletzungen und der Lokalisation des Einschusses in einem ganz beschränkten Bereich der Hinterhauptgegend lassen auf eine geübte Hand schließen. Bei zahlreichen Leichen konnten gleichartige Fesselungen der Hände und in einigen Fällen auch vierstrahlige Bajonettstiche an Kleidung und Haut festgestellt werden. Die Ausführung der Fesselung entspricht den an Leichen russischer Zivilisten festgestellten Fesselungen, die ebenfalls im Walde von Katyn ausgegraben und schon viel früher begraben wurden. Es wurde ferner festgestellt, daß auch die Genickschüsse bei den Leichen von Zivilrussen ähnlich zielsicher abgegeben wurden.

Aus der Feststellung eines Querschlägers im Kopfe eines durch Genickschuß getöteten polnischen Offiziers, der nur die äußere Knochentafel eingedrückt hatte, ist zu schließen, daß durch dieses Geschoß erst ein anderer Offizier getötet worden ist, und daß es nach Austritt aus dessen Körper in die Leichen eines bereits erschossenen in der Grube liegenden eingedrungen ist. Diese Tatsache läßt vermuten, daß Erschießungen offenbar auch in den Gruben stattfanden, um einen Transport zur Grabstätte zu vermeiden.

Die Massengräber befinden sich in Waldlichtungen. Sie sind vollkommen geebnet und mit jungen Kiefernbäumchen bepflanzt. Nach dem eigenen Augenschein der Kommissionsmitglieder und der Aussage des als Sachverständigen zugezogenen Forstmeisters von Herff handelt es sich um wenigstens fünfjährige, im Schatten großer Bäume schlecht entwickelte Kiefernpflanzen, die vor drei Jahren an diese Stelle gepflanzt wurden.

Die Massengräber sind stufenförmig in das hügelige Gelände, das aus reinem Sand besteht, vorgetrieben. Sie reichen zum Teil bis ins Grundwasser.

Die Leichen liegen fast ausschließlich in Bauchlage dicht neben- und übereinander, an den Seiten deutlich geschichtet, in der Mitte mehr unregelmäßig. Die Beine sind fast immer gestreckt. Es handelt sich offensichtlich um eine systematische Lagerung. Die Uniformen der ausgegrabenen Leichen haben nach übereinstimmender Wahrnehmung der Kommission sämtlich im ganzen und einzelnen, insbesondere in bezug auf Knöpfe, Dienstrangabzeichen, Auszeichnungen, Stiefelformen, Wäschestempel usw. die eindeutigen Kennzeichen polnischer Uniformen. Es handelt sich um Winterbekleidung, häufig finden sich Pelze, Lederjacken, Strickwesten, Offiziersstiefel, typische polnische Offiziersmützen. Nur bei ganz wenigen Leichen handelt es sich nicht um Offiziere, in einem Fall um einen Geistlichen. Die Maße der Kleidung entsprechen den Maßen der einzelnen Körper. Die Unterkleidung ist ordnungsmäßig zugeknöpft, Hosenträger, Gürtel ordnungsmäßig angebracht. Daraus ergibt sich, daß die Leichen in den von ihnen bis zum Tode getragenen Uniformen verscharrt wurden.

Bei den Leichen befinden sich keine Uhren und Ringe, obwohl Uhren nach den mit genauen Zeitangaben versehenen Aufzeichnungen verschiedener Tagebücher bis in die letzten Tage und Stunden hinein vorhanden gewesen sein müssen. Edelmetallgegenstände wurden nur in verborgener Lage bei ganz wenigen Leichen entdeckt. Dagegen fanden sich bei vielen Reichen noch Goldzähne im Gebiß. Polnische Banknoten wurden in größeren Mengen vorgefunden, in nicht seltenen Fällen auch Wechselgeld. Ferner fanden sich polnische Zigaretten- und Streichholzschachteln bei den Toten, in einigen Fällen auch Tabakdosen und Zigarettenspitzen mit der Gravierung „Kocielsk“ (Namen des letzten sowjetischen Gefangenenlagers der meisten Ermordeten). Die bei den Leichen Vorgefundenen Dokumente (Tagebücher, Briefschaften, Zeitungen) stammen aus der Zeit von Herbst 1939 bis März und April 1940. Das letzte bisher festgestellte Datum ist das einer russischen Zeitung vom 22. April 1940.

Der Mord geschah vor drei Jahren

Es finden sich verschiedene Grade und Formen der Verwesung, die durch die Lagerung der Leichen innerhalb der Grube und zueinander bedingt’ sind. Neben Mumifizierung an der Oberfläche und an den Rändern der Leichenmasse findet sich feuchte Mazeration in den mittleren Teilen der Leichenmasse. Die Verklebung und Verlötung der benachbarten Leichen durch eingedickte Leichensäfte, insbesondere die durch die Pressung bedingten korrespondierenden Deformationen weisen entschieden auf primäre Lagerung hin.

Es fehlen gänzlich an den Leichen Insekten und Insektenreste, die aus der Zeit der Einscbarrung stammen könnten. Hieraus ergibt sich, daß die Erschießungen und Einscharrungen in einer kalten, insektenfreien Jahreszeit geschehen sein müssen.

Eine größere Reihe von Schädeln wurde auf eine Veränderung untersucht, die nach Erfahrungen von Professor Orsos zur Bestimmung der Zeit des Todes von großer Wichtigkeit ist. Es handelt sich hiebei um eine kalktuffartige mehrschichtige Inkrustation an der Oberfläche des schon lehmartig homogenisierten Gehirnbreies. Solche Erscheinungen sind bei Leichen, die weniger als drei Jahre im Grabe gelegen haben, nicht zu beobachten. Ein derartiger Zustand fand sich unter anderem in einer sehr ausgeprägten Form im Schädel der Leiche Nr. 526, die an der Oberfläche eines großen Massengrabes geborgen wurde.

Zusammenfassendes Gutachten

Im Walde von Katyn wurden von der Kommission Massengräber von polnischen Offizieren untersucht, von denen bisher sieben geöffnet sind. Aus diesen wurden bis 982 Leichen geborgen, untersucht, zum Teil obduziert und schon zu 70 Prozent identifiziert

Die Leichen wiesen als Todesursache ausschließlich Genickschüsse auf. Aus den Zeugenaussagen, den bei den Leichen aufgefundenen Briefschaften, Tagebüchern, Zeitungen usw. ergibt sich, daß die Erschießungen in den Monaten März und April 1940 stattgefunden haben. Hiermit stehen in völliger Übereinstimmung die im Protokoll geschilderten Befunde an den Massengräbern und den einzelnen Leichen der polnischen Offiziere.

Smolensk, 30. April 1943.

Eigenhändig unterzeichnet:
Dr. SPELEERS, Dr. MARKOV, Dr. TRAMSEN, Dr. SAXEN, Dr. PALMIERI, Dr. MILOSLAVICH, Dr. DE BURLET, Dr. HAJEK, Dr. BIRKLE, Dr. NAVILLE, Dr. SUBIK, Dr. ORSÖS.

Die Lügen zerflattern

Als die ersten Mitteilungen über die Leichenfunde im Wald von Katyn erfolgten, zeigte man sich in Moskau zunächst bestrebt, diese furchtbare Anklage zu überhören. Nach einigen Tagen müßten aber Stalins Leibjuden erkennen, daß die Welt Rechenschaft verlangte. Sie verlegten sich nun auf die dümmsten und plumpsten Lügen, faselten von „prähistorischen Gräbern“ und versuchten schließlich allen Ernstes, den Massenmord den Entdeckern dieser feigen Schandtat in die Schuhe zu schieben. Es wurde sogar bestritten, daß es sich um polnische Offiziere handelte und mit eiserner Stirn behauptet, die Deutschen hätten eine Maskerade aufgeführt. Diese Ausreden, die nur die peinliche Verlegenheit der entlarvten jüdischen Sowjetschlächter offenbarten, fanden selbst in England nicht durchwegs Glauben.

Die polnischen Emigranten gaben ihrerseits zu verstehen, daß es sich um die polnischen Offiziere handeln müsse, über deren Verbleib Moskau jede genaue Auskunft verweigert hatte. Stalin habe zwar behauptet, daß alle Offiziere entlassen worden seien, aber gleichwohl fehle jede Spur von ihnen. Sikorski rief das Internationale Rote Kreuz in Genf an, um eine Untersuchung in Gang zu bringen. Das führte dann zu dem offenen Konflikt mit Moskau, das die Beziehungen zu den Londoner Emigranten abbrach und den Wunsch zu erkennen gab, die Flüchtlingspolen künftig unter bolschewistische Kontrolle zu nehmen. Unter britischem Druck kroch Sikorski zu Kreuze.

Unanfechtbarer Beweis

Inzwischen hatten mehrere polnische Kommissionen aus Warschau Gelegenheit, sich an Ort und Stelle von der grauenhaften Wirklichkeit zu überzeugen, die einheimische und frühere GPU.-Angestellte bezeugten. Ihnen folgten Journalisten und Dichter aus den meisten Ländern des Kontinents. Sie alle stimmten darin überein daß die bolschewistische Blutschuld außer jedem Zweifel steht, daß die polnischen Offiziere von GPU.-Juden ermordet wurden und daß sich die Tragödie im Wald von Katyn schon lange Zeit vor dem Ausbruch des Ostkrieges zugetragen haben mußte. Die medizinischen Sachverständigen haben nun den wissenschaftlichen Beweis hinzugefügt.

Es steht danach fest:

1. Es handelt sich um polnische Offiziere, die vor drei Jahren durch Genickschuß hingemordet wurden.

2. Die Leichen haben seither unangetastet in den Gräbern geruht, welche die jüdischen Mörder durch Anpflanzung einer Kiefernschonung unkenntlich zu machen suchten.

Gegenüber diesen unanfechtbaren wissenschaftlichen Feststellungen verfangen auch die hartnäckigsten Ableugnungen nicht im geringsten. Eine Berner Zeitung bemerkte in diesen Tagen, es gäbe nur einen Gegenbeweis: daß Stalin die als ermordet gemeldeten Polen lebend vorweisen könne. Das kann Stalin natürlich nicht. Vielmehr klagen die Ermordeten das bolschewistische Blutsystem vernichtend an. Wenn man jetzt in London verlegene Ausflüchte beliebt, so zeigt das nur die moralische Mitschuld der britischen Zuhälter Moskaus. Vorsichtshalber hat man dort behauptet, auch die gewissenhafteste Untersuchung könne keinen Aufschluß darüber geben, wer für die Abschlachtung der polnischen Offiziere verantwortlich sei.

Das Protokoll der medizinischen Sachverständigen gibt die Antwort darauf: Die Verantwortlichen sind die Bolschewisten und die jüdischen Bluthunde der GPU., die schon Millionen und Millionen Menschenleben auf dem Gewissen haben, denen man aber in London schon längst alle Verbrechen verziehen hat und denen hohe Prälaten der Hochkirche schamlos Weihrauch streuen, indem sie sich zu der Gotteslästerung versteigen, diese bluttriefenden Mörder seien die Vorkämpfer des Reiches Gottes auf Erden. Den bolschewistischen Massenmorden fügen sie so einen Seelenmord hinzu, der nicht weniger abstoßend ist. Das Urteil der Geschichte über dieses niederträchtige Gesindel aber steht so fest wie das Urteil der Mitwelt über das Blutbad von Katyn.

U.S. State Department (May 4, 1943)

760C.61/5–443

Memorandum of Conversation, by the Under Secretary of State

Washington, May 4, 1943.

The Polish Ambassador called to see me this morning. The Ambassador inquired with regard to recent developments in the Polish-Russian controversy insofar as the activities of the American and British Governments were concerned. I replied that General Sikorski was fully informed of all developments and I gave the Ambassador a brief summary of the highlights of the past few days.

The Ambassador had brought with him three copies of the Information Bulletin published by the Soviet Embassy during the past week which contained vituperative attacks upon the Polish Government and particularly upon the person of General Sikorski. The Ambassador said he did not feel that he could permit these attacks to go on any longer without a reply from the Polish Embassy in Washington. I stated that if the Ambassador undertook to enter into polemics of this character and to add fuel to an already too brightly burning controversy, he would literally be doing everything that he could to jeopardize the efforts of the American and British Governments to bring about a satisfactory solution of this dispute. I urged him, at least for the time being, to refrain from entering into the field of published refutations which could only exacerbate the bitter feeling already existing. I told the Ambassador that the British Government had urged the Soviet Ambassador in London, as well as the Polish Government in exile, to avoid publications of this character and that it was my understanding that both sides had agreed to adopt this suggestion. I said I hoped the Soviet Ambassador in Washington would follow the same course. The Ambassador agreed to adopt my suggestion and to refrain from any published rejoinders to the Soviet publications.

The Ambassador handed me the memorandum attached herewith regarding the present members of the Polish Government in London as a means of proving that the members of the Government were neither fascist nor reactionary.

SUMNER WELLES

760C.61/2034½

Memorandum of Conversation, by Mr. Elbridge Durbrow of the Division of European Affairs

Washington, May 4, 1943.

A Secretary of the British Embassy showed me in the strictest confidence paraphrases of telegrams from the Foreign Office which indicated that despite the conversation Mr. Churchill had with the Soviet Ambassador on April 29, the Soviet Embassy’s news bulletin Soviet War News published on April 30 a copy of Wanda Wasilewska’s article in Izvestia as well as an objectionable broadcast to the Poles. The message went on to indicate that the Prime Minister had sent for Mr. Maisky and complained in the strongest terms of this development.

In the course of this discussion Mr. Maisky stated that the Soviet Government did not have the intention of setting up an alternative Polish Government in Moscow. (The British Secretary added that as far as he knows no assurances to this effect have been received by Mr. Churchill direct from Mr. Stalin.) The Ambassador added that on the other hand the Soviet Government would not renew relations with the present Polish Government. When asked what he meant by this Mr. Maisky replied that the Soviet Government would be prepared to deal with General Sikorski and Count Raczyński but that there would have to be a reconstitution of the present Polish Government.

In another telegram referring to instructions sent to Clark Kerr, the British Ambassador in Moscow, the Foreign Office stated that if the Soviet Government agreed to the proposals set forth in those instructions it was hoped that the United States Government would help the British in dealing with the formidable refugee problem with which the British would be confronted in the Middle Eastern area.

The British Secretary also showed me a copy of the Foreign Office’s telegram of May 2 which formed the basis of the aide-mémoire which Lord Halifax handed to the Secretary yesterday. In this connection it is pertinent to quote the last paragraph of Lord Halifax’s instructions which he did not incorporate in his aide-mémoire to the Secretary:

It will not escape you that we are in the most difficult position. The Poles have a special claim on us since we have treaty alliance with them and it was on their behalf that we entered the war. Although their International behaviour is sometimes unwise they have gallantry and [are] our allies and we are very reluctant to let them down. On the other hand, to assume the protection of their interests in the Soviet Union would be to place a very heavy strain upon our relations with the Soviet Union.

In discussing the question of the representation of Polish interests in the Soviet Union I stated that I did not see how any good would be served by either the British or ourselves undertaking such representation since any move of this kind would indicate to the outside world that the break was final and would play even more heavily into the hands of German propagandists. I pointed out that I personally doubt whether the Soviet Government would permit anyone to represent Polish interests in the Soviet Union if for no other reason than that they do not consider that there are any Poles now in the USSR. I added that I felt that the main problem for all the United Nations was to endeavor to use their best influence to heal the breach rather than to try to protect individual interests of Polish citizens.

ELBRIDGE DURBROW

760C.61/2017

The Polish Prime Minister to President Roosevelt

London, May 4, 1943.

My Dear Mr. President: I wish to thank you very sincerely for the kind interest you have shown in our problem during the last few days, as well as for your letter, which the United States Ambassador handed to me.

You may well imagine that it was with great regret that I and my Government were faced, the other day, with the Soviet Government’s decision to break off, or suspend, diplomatic relations. Our invitation to the International Red Cross to investigate the circumstances of the death of thousands of Polish officers, recently brought to light by the Germans, may be criticised in some quarters. However, in view of the fact that many Poles, both here and in the Middle East, had near relatives or comrades-in-arms who had been killed in that neighbor-hood, it was very difficult for us to ignore the news. I trust that you realize that this action on the part of the Soviet Government was not a sudden or isolated one, but the climax in a sequel of events all directed against the Polish nation and the Polish Government.

You will recall that on December 1st, 1941, the Soviet Government already initiated the policy of depriving some of the deportees of their Polish citizenship, linking this activity closely with the problem of the Soviet-Polish borders. This was directed in the first place against Polish citizens belonging to the national or racial minorities. At the beginning this policy was somewhat shy and it coincided exactly with the moment when I arrived in the USSR in 1941 to pay a friendly visit to Mr. Stalin.

A campaign against myself and my Government was already planned at that early date. It is not for other reason that a so-called “Committee of Polish patriots” was formed which published a paper entitled Free Poland. Simultaneously there was being prepared a small military detachment of Polish Communists in the Red Army. Needless to say that those “Polish patriots” are unknown in Poland and of no importance whatsoever.

The policy of depriving deportees of their Polish citizenship reached its climax on January 16th, 1943, when Polish citizenship was withdrawn from every deportee regardless of his nationality or the part of Poland from which he came, so that even persons coming from the western borders of the country were to be considered Soviet citizens. Besides this policy and that of fostering attacks against myself and my Government, there have been other facts, the most notorious of which was the execution of Ehrlich and Alter.

Then a demand was made for the Molotov-Ribbentrop line as a boundary between the future Poland and Russia. This, of course, would have meant the beginning of the end of Poland as an independent state.

I fear that what the Soviet Government wants is a Polish Communist Government which would offer them Poland as a Soviet satellite state.

In view of the tremendous sacrifices which our people are making daily in Poland, and the achievements of Poland’s Armed Forces on many battlefields, it was outrageous to announce to the world that I and my Government were conniving with the Nazi régime.

I trust that you, Mr. President, will also understand our anxiety at the present moment with regard to the scores of thousands who are still in Russia and that you will not refuse your help in protecting them and securing their departure from the Soviet Union.

I want you to know, Mr. President, that in spite of this record we are determined to work together with our Allies, including our Russian neighbours, with a view to bringing the war in Europe to a victorious close as soon as possible. No one realises better than we do that Goebbels’s propaganda has taken advantage of recent events.

My Government and I are only too anxious to do everything in our power to re-establish the United Front against our common enemy within the shortest possible time, and I feel hopeful that with the help of yourself and Mr. Churchill this will be speedily achieved.

I also feel, however, that if this is to be done within the near future certain impediments should be removed. In the first place the Soviet authorities should allow the tens of thousands of Polish soldiers’ families, including tens of thousands of Polish children and orphans, to leave Soviet territory. We also ask for the release of men fit to carry arms, and, in conclusion, that the welfare and relief work for Polish citizens in the USSR who were deported after 1939 should be continued until they are able to return to their homes in Poland.

I hope you will find these demands reasonable; they are dictated by humanitarian reasons and by our desire to strengthen our Armed Forces.

Once again may I thank you, Mr. President, on behalf of my Government and on my own for all the understanding and help which you have given us consistently in these difficult days.

Believe me, Mr. President

Yours very sincerely
SIKORSKI

U.S. State Department (May 5, 1943)

760C.61/1071: Telegram

The Ambassador in the Soviet Union to the Secretary of State

Moscow, May 5, 1943 — 3 p.m.
[Received 9:54 p.m.]

Parker, New York Times correspondent, has informed me that in reply to two questions on Polish-Soviet relations submitted to the Kremlin on May 4 he has received the following letter from Stalin:

Dear Mr. Parker: On May 3 I received your two questions concerning Soviet-Polish relations. Here are my answers:

1. Question: Does the Government of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republic desire to see a strong and independent Poland after the defeat of Hitler’s Germany?

Answer: Unquestionably it does.

1. Question: On what fundaments is it your opinion that the relation between Poland and the USSR should be based after the war.

Answer: Upon the fundament of solid, good neighborly relations or should the Polish people so desire upon the fundament of an alliance against the German[s] as the chief enemies of the Soviet Union and Poland.

With respect
J. STALIN

Parker’s full comments on the letter were [telegraphed?] to the New York Times this evening.

STANDLEY

Völkischer Beobachter (May 6, 1943)

Sowietjuden verhöhnen London die Opfer von Katyn

Bankett und Ordenssegen für die Massenschlächter

vb. Wien, 5. Mai –
Den Engländern ist es verboten, von Katyn zu sprechen. In englischen Zeitungen darf nichts darüber gebracht werden, der erschütternde Bericht der internationalen Ärztekommission wird totgeschwiegen, wie alles andere. Jeder Engländer ist gehalten, Stalin, der 12.000 Offiziere des „dem englischen Herzen am nächsten stehenden Bundesgenossen“ durch jüdische Henker umbringen ließ, als großen Mann und Menschheitsbeglücker zu feiern, der, wie ein britischer Schriftsteller vor kurzem erst schrieb, „eine weitere und vollere Demokratie“ verwirklicht habe.

Wenn die Bolschewisten aber unter sich sind, dann lächeln die Auguren nicht bloß, sondern lachen über ihr Verbrechen und machen sich lustig über die toten und die noch lebenden Opfer. Das ist, wie jetzt bekannt wird, geschehen auf einem Bankett, das am 1. Mai in der Sowjetbotschaft in London stattgefunden hat. Nachdem die Prawda unverblümt erklärt hatte, im Krieg sei jedes Mittel, den Feind zu vernichten, recht, brauchen sich die Bolschewisten und ihre jüdischen Sendboten in England keine Zurückhaltung mehr aufzuerlegen.

Denn die Moskauer Juden sind sich der Engländer sicher, und auch in den Vereinigten Staaten sorgt die Judenschaft dafür, daß die Politik und die öffentliche Meinung auf der rechten Linie, der Generallinie des Weltjudentums, gehalten wird. Deshalb mußte der britische Außenminister vom „Märchen des Massenmordes“ sprechen, konnte gleichwohl nicht umhin, zuzugeben, daß dieses „Märchen“ zum Abbruch der Beziehungen Moskaus mit dem polnischen Emigrantenklüngel in London geführt hat. Die britische Regierung tut aber noch mehr. Während die Weltöffentlichkeit noch unter dem Eindruck des Berichtes der internationalen Kommission über den grauenhaften Massenmord in Katyn steht, hat sich der britische Botschafter in Moskau, Clark Kerr, zu einer Feier in den Kreml begeben, bei der er im Auftrag der britischen Regierung dem sowjetischen Außenkommissar Orden für Angehörige der Sowjetstreitkräfte überreichte. Der Botschafter pries die britisch-bolschewistische Freundschaft und gab dem festen Vertrauen Ausdruck, daß die Briten und die Bolschewisten „im gegenseitigen Verstehen einander immer näher kommen möchten.“

In der Tat sie verstehen sich, die Plutokraten in London und die Bolschewisten in Moskau, wenn sie dabei auch mit den Augen zwinkern. Sie sind sich auch wahrhaftig sehr nahe gekommen. Die einen morden und die anderen decken und verteidigen den Mord. Man muß sich einen Augenblick vorstellen, welches Gemüt dazu gehört, sich von dem einen Bundesgenossen die Ermordung des anderen Bundesgenossen nicht nur gefallen zu lassen, sondern sich mit diesem Mord zu identifizieren. Die seelische Epidermis eines Rhinozerosses ist wahrscheinlich sehr feinfühlend im Vergleich zu der schamlosen Brutalität und inneren Verkommenheit, die ein britischer Minister hier vor aller Welt enthüllt.

Auch Roosevelts Mitschuld festgestellt

Auch die Amerikaner spielen jetzt mit. Nach derselben jüdischen Weisung, der die Engländer gehorchen, hat sich jetzt der Leiter einer USA.-Agitationsstelle mit der Angelegenheit von Katyn befaßt und ebenso dumm darum herumgeredet, wie vor ihm der britische Außenminister. Auch er hat sich in vollendeter Schamlosigkeit mit dem Mord identifiziert und damit auch die Mitschuld der Roosevelt-Regierung proklamiert.

Der Mann unternahm den kläglichen Versuch, die 12.000 Toten überhaupt wegzulügen, kam aber doch an der Tatsache nicht vorbei, daß die Moskauer selbst diesen Mord zugegeben und eben deshalb die Beziehungen zu dem polnischen Emigrantenklub in London abgebrochen haben. Über diese Tatsache hilft keine Ausflucht hinweg, am allerwenigsten ein Hinweis auf die Morde, die von den Polen in Bromberg begangen worden sind. Der jüdische Söldling, der die schwierige Aufgabe hatte, die 12.000 Toten von Katyn gegen das Geständnis der Moskauer und gegen alle Frivolität der Bolschewisten in der Londoner Sowjetbotschaft zu dementieren, hat vergessen, was einst die Vertreter amerikanischer Zeitungen über die Bromberger Morde geschrieben haben. Die Beweise in Katyn sind genau so zwingend, wie die von Bromberg, sie können durch keinerlei Rabulistik erschüttert werden.

Selbsterniedrigung der Emigranten

Zum Überfluß verdirbt nun wiederum der Chef der polnischen Emigranten in London den beflissenen englischen und amerikanischen Verteidigen, der bolschewistischen Massenmorde das Konzept durch eine Rundfunkrede, in der er von der „dunklen Tragödie der polnischen Offiziere bei Smolensk“ spricht. Zugleich aber betont, daß er Wert auf freundschaftliche Beziehungen zu den Bolschewisten lege. Die bisherigen Freundschaftsbeweise der Moskauer Juden scheinen diesem moralisch verkommenen Subjekt roch immer nicht zu genügen. Auch hat dieser Narr offenbar noch nicht begriffen, mit welch gutem Grund der britische Außenminister davor gewarnt hat, über die Angelegenheit weiter zu sprechen. Der Mann erniedrigt sich vor den bolschewistischen Mördern bis in den Staub, fleht um ihre Freundschaft und erklärt dann wieder, es gäbe Grenzen für die polnischen Zugeständnisse – als ob jene Clique verräterische: Flüchtlinge überhaupt noch etwas zu sagen, zuzugestehen oder zu versagen hätte. Sie alle miteinander stehen unter der Diktatur des Weltjudentums und sind verwickelt in das gleiche Weltverbrechen.

Die Massengräber von Katyn –
Beweis der Bindung Bolschewismus-Plutokratie

dnb. Berlin, 5. Mai –
Die Presse Europas fährt fort, an Hand des gemeinsamen Protokolls der internationalen gerichtsärztlichen Kommission, die die Massengräber von Katyn besucht und einen großen Teil der Leichen obduziert und untersucht hat, sich mit der furchtbaren Bluttat der Moskauer Juden zu beschäftigen.

Als ein Dokument, das niemand mehr anzweifeln oder widerlegen kann, bezeichnet die Bukarester Porunca Vremii das Protokoll. Dieses entsetzliche Untersuchungsergebnis sollte von der ganzen Menschheit zur Kenntnis genommen werden, damit auch die naivsten und die größten Zyniker sich darüber klarwerden, daß der Bolschewismus weder in seinen Methoden noch in seinem Programm etwas geändert hat.

Das in Oslo erscheinende Organ der norwegischen Bauernschaften Nationen schreibt, jedesmal, wenn ein neues Land unter die Gewalt der GPU.-Henker kam, wurden seine leitenden Männer und alle staatstragenden Elemente überhaupt dahingeschlachtet. So war es einst in Georgien, so war die bolschewistische Praxis in den baltischen Staaten und so verfuhren die Sowjets auch in Ostpolen, um die Bolschewisierung leichter durchführen zu können.

Die Pariser Blätter weisen auf die sadistische Mordmethode der Sowjetjuden hin. Das Massengrab von Katyn beweist, daß dieses System der Ausrottung nicht nur für die eigenen Einwohner bestimmt ist, sondern auch auf alle, die sich dem Bolschewismus widersetzen, angewandt wird.

In der Prager Narodny Politika heißt es: Wir alle sind heute Zeugen und Richter, weil wir alle das Verbrechen und die Einzelheiten kennen. Wir kennen die Täter, die nicht einmal den Mut zum Leugnen finden. Dieses Verbrechen verdient keine Gnade, wir alle müssen bemüht sein, die Bestrafung herbeizuführen. Das Interesse der englisch-nordamerikanischen Presse, das Katyner Verbrechen totzuschweigen, wirft ein bezeichnendes Licht auf die enge Verbindung zwischen den Juden in der Sowjetunion und denen in den beiden plutokratischen Ländern.

U.S. State Department (May 6, 1943)

760C.61/1073: Telegram

The Ambassador in the United Kingdom to the Secretary of State

London, May 6, 1943 — 8 p.m.
[Received May 6 — 5:23 p.m.]

The Foreign Office, while avoiding any tendency toward over-optimism that the Polish-Soviet break is one that can easily be patched up, considers Stalin’s reply to the questions submitted to him jointly by the New York Times and the London Times to be decidedly helpful. Sikorski’s answering statement which he issued somewhat on the spur of the moment upon the insistence of the New York Times, Strang says “might have been worse”. The Poles when asked why they did not wait and give the wording of any public statement issued more careful thought informed the Foreign Office that any such delay would have necessitated consultation with various members of their Government which would probably have rendered any statement which finally emerged from the heat of discussion less conciliatory than Sikorski’s declaration for the New York Times.

Strang says there is still no solution to Poland’s search for a protecting power though thought is now being given to the possibility of selecting either Canada or Australia or the two jointly. If the exploration of this possibility proves negative, Norway or Holland may take on the job. One difficulty is the question of adequate personnel at Moscow in view of the volume of detailed work that may be involved. Another important practical problem, Strang said, is to find a formula of just who are Poles to be “protected” in view of the wide divergence on this question between the Soviet and Polish Governments. He said at any rate he understood that Romer and his Embassy have been given an additional week to prepare for their departure and one should not entirely exclude the possibility of patching the matter up before the Polish Embassy actually departs. As to possible Polish action to facilitate a settlement, he said that Sikorski might be willing to make some changes in his Government though it was difficult to do this under pressure. He added that as a matter of fact most of the violent Polish Russophobes were in the ranks of the opposition to Sikorski’s Government. Incidentally, he added that the break with Russia had strengthened Sikorski’s position internally with his own people.

Strang seemed resigned to our decision that it would be inadvisable for the United States to assume the role of protecting power and made no comment other than to indicate he was not surprised.

WINANT

760C.61/1075: Telegram

London, May 6, 1943 — 10 p.m.
[Received May 7 — 11:30 p.m.]

Polish Series [No.] 30.

In reply to M. Stalin’s statement which I understand was carried in the New York Times this morning to effect that (a) the Soviet Government unquestionably desired to see a strong and independent post-war Poland; and (b) in his opinion Polish-Russian post-war relations should be founded upon mutual reserve [respect?] and good neighborly relations, or, in the event the Polish people so desired, upon the basis of a mutual assistance alliance against the Germans, Sikorski has released the following statement:

Premier Stalin’s words correspond to the opinion he expressed to me during my stay in Moscow in December 1941. Indeed, the Germans have been for ages the common and implacable enemy of both the Poles and the Russians. The Polish nation wants, of course, to continue its friendly relations with Soviet Russia and base them on an alliance directed against Germany. It is however difficult for me not to be restrained even in the face of such a favorable declaration by Premier Stalin, at the very moment when the Polish Ambassador is leaving Russia and the masses of Polish populations in the USSR are left without the care and assistance of their Government. Yet despite this and many other facts, the Polish Government is ready to give a positive answer to any Soviet initiative which will coincide with the interests of the Polish Republic, as defined in our common declaration of December 4, 1941, and in my speech of May 4, 1943.

(Latter includes expectation of release by Soviet authorities of tens of thousands of members of Polish soldiers’ families, Polish children and orphans and all Poles fit to bear arms, and continuation of welfare and relief work for Polish citizens in Russia.)

Sikorski tells me he was notified at 1:30 this morning by the London Times office of M. Stalin’s statement. He immediately drew up the foregoing reply and after consultation with the British Foreign Office released it in the hope it would reach New York Times office in time also to be included in this morning’s edition.

In commenting to me on Stalin’s statement, Sikorski said his first reaction was that it might seem to offer some hope for reknitting relations but that in fact it threw no new light on Russia’s policy and did not touch on any of the concrete problems that had given rise to the break in relations.

BIDDLE

U.S. State Department (May 8, 1943)

760C.61/1080: Telegram

The Ambassador in the Soviet Union to the Secretary of State

Moscow, May 8, 1943 — 11 p.m.
[Received May 9 — 8:30 p.m.]

The British Ambassador has informed me of his conversation with Stalin last night stating that the Department would be advised in full by his Foreign Office. I am consequently not reporting our conversation in detail. Of especial interest he stated that Stalin did not seem to attribute too great importance to the Polish break and though apparently not holding Sikorski in high regard claiming him to be weak and susceptible to influences of the pro-German elements in the Polish Government was inclined to accept him as the leader of a reconstituted Polish Government provided Churchill and the President so desired. A change in the top position of the Polish Government, however, was a prerequisite of a resumption in relations.

Clark Kerr stated that the British had taken over Polish interests for the time being although they considered it impractical to take any active part in day-to-day matters while engaged in the broader aspects of the dispute. For this reason it had been proposed that the Canadians or Australians who had little to do here should take over this work. Although the Canadians had refused it was still hoped that the Australians would accept the responsibility.

In my conversation with Molotov on May 6 I stated that speaking entirely personally and without instructions if there were anything I could transmit to my Government with a view to regularizing the present unfortunate state of Soviet-Polish relations I hoped that he would not hesitate to call on me. Speaking without bitterness Molotov replied that the position of the Soviet Government was explained in Stalin’s letter to Parker which defined the Soviet basis of Soviet-Polish relations, that the Soviet Government had only good intentions vis-à-vis Poland and desired to do anything that would be in the common interests and further the common effort of the Allies provided, of course, that the interests of the Soviet Union were reserved. However, he added as a personal comment he doubted that it would be possible to come to terms with the present Polish Government.

STANDLEY

If he did, would he be sent to the gulags?

Peter parker?

1 Like

HA, I wish.

1 Like

U.S. State Department (May 10, 1943)

760C.61/1084: Telegram

London , May 10, 1943 — 10 p.m.
[Received May 10 — 6 p.m.]

Polish Series [No.] 34.

Supplementing my 31, May 8, 4 p.m.

In conversation with Sikorski today, he said in connection with the problem of working out the reestablishment of Soviet-Polish relations that he and his Government had been encouraged by a number of sources to hold steadfastly to the attitude of not sacrificing matters of substance, notably by M. Huseyin Orbay, the Turkish Ambassador to Great Britain (who recently also told me that his countrymen would be looking with anxiety at the outcome of the current Polish-Russian controversy, and that he hoped the Allies would not withhold support from the Poles), and by officials of the Greek and Yugoslav Governments here. Their attitude in brief, Sikorski said, was that this was a “test case.”

King Haakon also told me in strict confidence that members of his predominantly socialist government had become so disturbed by these events (the King used the term “communist-shy”) that he had felt it necessary to try to bring their attitude into better perspective.

BIDDLE

704.60C61/5: Telegram

London, May 10, 1943 — midnight.
[Received May 10 — 8:44 p.m.]

Polish Series [No.] 35.

After frankly telling me that the British Government hesitated to accede to his request that the British Ambassador in Kuibyshev be allowed to protect Polish interests in Russia, Sikorski asked me to express his earnest hope that we might see our way clear to permit our Ambassador to assume at least the nominal protection of Polish interests. The reason, he said, for the use of the word “nominal” was because he felt that our Embassy might not be sufficiently staffed to undertake all aspects of the task involved.

He wondered whether in event of our favorable consideration of his request our Ambassador might appoint someone to assume control of the Polish stores already established; 35 percent of the supplies and 90 percent of the clothing apparel had originated in the United States.

The problems he expected to arise in the near future were “the evacuation of two categories of Poles”: (a) The Poles about whose nationality there was no dispute particularly those from western Poland who found themselves in eastern Poland at the time of the Russian 1939 plebiscite; and (b) the families of officers and soldiers. He said that the Polish forces in the Middle East and those here whose families are in Russia were already clamoring for information as to who is to take over the protection of Polish interests.

In the circumstances he urged me to express his sincere hope that we would give favorable consideration to his most earnest request.

Völkischer Beobachter (May 18, 1943)

Der Mord von Katyn und die anglikanische Kirche

kT
„Alles, was wir Engländer tun oder was unsere bolschewistischen Freunde tun, ist ein Gott wohlgefälliges Werk!“ (Zeichnung: Kurt C. Truetich)