Willkie asks for revival of tolerance (1-20-41)

The Pittsburgh Press (January 20, 1941)

WILLKIE ASKS FOR REVIVAL OF TOLERANCE
….
G.O.P. leader demands right for all to express British aid views
….
By Scripps-Howard Newspaper Alliance

New York, Jan. 20 –
Wendell Willkie urged in an interview today that there be a revival of tolerance, among all Americans considering suggestions of national policy.

The former Republican presidential candidate said:

Regardless of the form of the Lend-Lease Bill as it is finally passed in Congress, a United America not only must, but will support it. Foreign nations will do well to remember this.

Meanwhile the right of every citizen to voice his opposition or his support must not be challenged or abridged. Orderly debate and open-minded consideration of all aspects of any pending measure is the essence of our democratic practices.

‘Freedom of expression’

My own ideas of the form the bill should take will very naturally not meet the ideas of every other man giving serious thought to the measure. But I am as vitally concerned for the freedom of expression of those who honestly disagree, as I am for my own right to state my own views.

Of actual appeasers or warmongers, in the popular acceptance of the terms, we have very few. To apply either of these characterizations to any person honestly differing as to how best to serve our national interests is both unfair and un-American, as I stated at a recent inter-fraternity dinner in New York.

Speech is quoted

The speech to which Mr. Willkie referred is covered in a brief article appearing in the January issue of the Atlantic Monthly, in which he said in part:

I care greatly about public discussion in America. The democratic process rests upon discussion. And it will function satisfactorily and effectively in such a time at this, only if the channels of public discussion are kept completely open. And, may I say also, not alone kept open, but kept free from personal abuse and vilification.

America within the next few years must make some very fearful and some very fateful decisions. And it is my earnest hope that in arriving at the conclusions with reference to such questions the finest type of American discussion may take place, so that democracy, functioning as it should function, will arrive at conclusions that will preserve this system for us.

I happen to be of the school of thought which believes that we must continue at an ever-increasing rate to help the fighting men of Britain to preserve that rim of freedom which is gradually shrinking.

‘Let people determine’

And yet I say that in a democracy where men believe otherwise, where men believe that the United States should preserve itself solely from within, such a difference of opinion presents an honest issue which must be determined by the American people after full, free discussion.

It does no good to say that the man who believes we must send help to thst rim of freedom is a warmonger, or thart the man who believes America should protect itself solel within thes ehores is a fifth-columnist or a Nazi or a Fadcist, or something else.

My faith in democracy in such that I believe the collective judgement of the people, after listening to the arguments and the discussion on both sides, ma be wiser and better than the judgement of those, whoever they may be on either side of the question, whio think that the wisest course of discussion is to destroy their opponent rather than to answer his arguments.

2 Likes