Why was Operation Tannenbaum delayed and or never executed?

Hi Indy, Sparty & Crew.

Why was Operation Tannenbaum (the invasion of Switzerland and Lichtenstein) never executed by the Axis powers?
I know that switzerland had a 3 layered defensive system, but how much of this was known by the axis powers?
I have been following your work ever since the great war and can’t wait for your next series.

5 Likes

Its hard to blitz tanks through mountain roads so it would have to be mainly infantry fighting with air support. However, those bunkers would be hard to hit from the sky. Switzerland is basically one big mountain fort

3 Likes

It would have been a waste of manpower to invade a country that was neutral, well defended and willing to do business with the nazi regime. Switzerlands airforce did battle several times with the allied planes as they were violating Switzerlands neutrality.

Same would go to Sweden. Why spend time and resources on a country that was already compliant and not a threat.

3 Likes

@Pirk

Given all the other Nazi stupid and haughty, I’m legit surprised they had any sense at all. Fascists are bullies perhaps but the Nazis are straight-up stupid evil.

Every week I watch this and facepalm groan “What an Idiot!” At Hilter’s…douchebaggery seems appropriate in it’s reckless lack of wisdom but belies the utter malice.

1 Like