Why was a jewish state not crated in germany after ww2?

Instead of creating a Jewish autonomous oblast in Russia, Germany would be much closer to all jews. that would make it harder for Germany to make another WW. so why did not the soviet union create a jewish state in Germany?

2 Likes

while I’m not 100% I’m pretty sure its because the lands of Israel were defined as being historically Jewish and thus the lands were given after the war, the other fact too is all the countries where not the most pro Jewish, keep in mind many Russians grew up in the era of the Czar when Progroms happened, plus Germany with its location was a strategic hard point for the soviets as from there they could hit France or Britain with Missiles and have more of a defensive buffer between themselves and the rest of Europe and after all only half of Germany was Russian

3 Likes

The JAO was created before the WW2, Lenin wanted to give minorities a reason to be loyal to the USSR, plus populate a fairly empty border region, and prop up defense of the Far East regions that were being eyed by China and Japan. Hope this was accurate and helpful if so. Thanks

3 Likes

:roll_eyes: I’m pretty sure jewish people in vichy held tunisia, algeria or British held Egypt, Iraq, and Iran would have disagreed with you.

And that’s before Ashkenazi politics of the period.

A lot of Jewish people didn’t want to stay in East/Central europe because of bad memories. Most of the living german jewish population was out of germany by this point. Plus right after ww2 was messy.

Why would this even come up?

2 Likes

This is a really weird topic. Jews lived all over after the diaspora and had “Germany” started another World War well… 1 The Germans themselves would most likely kicked out these “politicians” 2 The Allied/ Soviet troops in Germany would have intervened 3 Lastly…the unthinkable war would have been over in less than 30 minutes. (I told the latter to a few Neo Nazis I ran into long time ago to their shock)

Germany had zero chance to start another WW and apart from a few suicidal looney tunes NO desire to start another one.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that was also the feeling right after the Great War, and yet 2 decades later…

3 Likes

Yes but making sure Germany didn’t start a war was a big reason for a long time that so many troops were there. It wasn’t just Russia. That kept us there. In the 40’s and 50’s I can’t see a European power who would have thought twice about extreme crackdowns if Germany had gotten uppity.

We had a lot of guns pointed at Russia and they had a lot pointed at us. If either side had started seeing Swastika’s flying, we would have sent them straight to hell.

2 Likes

Yes indeed, Not to forget that Germany only became a fully Sovereign state in 1991. Before it was still divided up (although qualified sovereign in practice).

Nasty what if here:
Had Germany invaded e.g. France in 1967 (WW2 + 22 years) like in 1940 Charles De Gaulle would have nuked them before eating his breakfast Croissant.

And before that they would have had to deal with the US/French/British and Soviet occupation. Another example an Israeli told me that they sent Germany in message in 1992 when a lot of Germans were applauding the firebombing of asylum seekers in Rostock (former East Germany). Remember “The Jews have nukes now, BEHAVE”

Not sure the latter is true but more people have warned extreme right Germans that instead of dreaming driving into the Russian steppe on Tiger Tanks or on a fleet to England, a spiffy uniform while bashing the heads in of Jewish baby think about dying of radiation poisoning. Glad to see that a lot of fellow Germans I know say exactly the same, we don’t want to get nuked because of this idiots “sturmscum”.

Why the rule of law burned down in Rostock | Germany | News and in-depth reporting from Berlin and beyond | DW | 22.08.2012

2 Likes

Great reply. Up until the Soviet breakup, any war between east and west was guaranteed to leave Germany in shambles. Now, Germany is the heart of the EU and has buffer states to the east to protect them from Russian attacks. The WW2 generation is mostly dead so maybe the world Has changed. Somehow I doubt humanity is all that much better but I can pray.

2 Likes