Why didn’t Germany invade Switzerland?

I’ve heard of a number of different reasons as to why Hitler didn’t get around to invading Switzerland even though he hated the mere existence of the country (from what I’ve read.) So why didn’t they take the opportunity to do so when the country was completely surrounded?

6 Likes

Because the Swiss territory is hard to conquer (mountains everywhere) and the Swiss army has a militia system that makes the whole country to an army in case of war.

Besides that, Switzerland’s neutral position was more useful than conquering the country. Swiss industries and ressources were integrated to the german arms industry without having the risk of them being bombed by the Allies.

3 Likes

Because the Swiss had General Guisan, who fortified the country. The ‘Swiss Redoubt’ is still a lynchpin of Swiss defensive theory.
Hitler knew that he would lose an army taking the country, and then another army trying to garrison it.
You know what happened to the americans in Vietnam? Well it would be like that but with more snow and yodeling.

4 Likes

Not sure if Switzerland would have withstood mass Nazi bombing but actually the Swiss willingness to act as Nazi bankers and money launderors is infamous.

After the war the served as ex-Nazi bankers and offered very little if any help in bringing ex-Nazis to justice.

It took massive American pressure to get some Holocaust money back.

http://www.wiesenthal.com/about/news/wiesenthal-center-argentina-nazi.html

3 Likes

Interestingly the story broke because a Swiss watchman decided to do the right thing and save the holocaust documents from the shredder.

2 Likes

I’d find it very interesting to hear the TimeGhost Army’s take on the Situation of Switzerland. Maybe, I’d phrase the question differently: Why did Switzerland not turn fascist as as its neighbours Germany, Austria and Italy (and France, to some extent)?

With regards to why Hitler didn’t invade Switzerland. There is probably some truth about the “Swiss redoubt”, but the role of the army was overhyped in the decades after the war for political reasons.

It’s also true that in the case of an invasion, transport lines between Germany and Italy would have been blocked, probably for quite a long time. But the detour through Austria wouldn’t have been that bad.

Certainly, the services of the Swiss banks were helpful to Nazi Germany. And don’t forget the considerable arms supplies that the Swiss industry delivered to Germany.

One factor that is commonly overlook today is the common anti-fascist sentiment among the Swiss population, especially the lower classes. My grandparents still tell tales how they sabotaged German railway carriages passing through Switzerland and that they knew exactly who in their village secretly admired the Nazis - and that these people would not have survived the first day of a German invasion.

3 Likes