Why did the Japanese Army and Navy hate each other?

You guys are a Force of Good in the world!

Scott

3 Likes

Others should be able to answer this better than me however I’ll give it a go.

Part of it was command structure Army command sat higher than Naval Command and add to that all three branches were continually bickering with each other especially when it came to prioritizing who got what.

Also I believe their military was based on the feudal system at the time which was very rigid and inflexible in its command structure which also lead to tension between the commands.

3 Likes

I dont Know it they hated each other, but their interest could not be more oposit. The Army was Busy in China while the South Pacific / US adventure was primarly a navy thing. Add the Japanese culture and things gets complicated

3 Likes

I think part of it had to do with who got credit for objectives taken. For example, in the war with China the Navy was not as prominent and considered “army hotheads” to be the problem with wanting to wage war throughout Asia and the Pacific when the US wanted Japan to end their war in China. It was like a turf war. Who captured the objectives also led to who got more priorities.
Similar in some ways to the CIA and Air Force turf war during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Both had planes and pilots, but whoever got to run the U-2 missions would be prioritized more. Although the Japanese Navy and Army situation was much more than that.

3 Likes

Yes, if was different times. On the morning of dec 7th in Pearl Harbor the Navy sank a sub and the Army had the Opana radar tracking. But there was not a system to share information and to coordinate the proper action. The modern long range all inclusuve war had arrived, and only a few understood it. I guess Yamamoto and Marshall was some of the few who could see the whole picture.

3 Likes

@NormanStewart Do You never sleep ? :+1:

3 Likes

Sometimes not. I am a busy family man :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

At least it’s better than in 2000, when I barely slept in a month’s time because of the election.

3 Likes

resources. Japan had few resources (that is why all the conquering). So when it comes to the army or the navy, you need to split the resources clearly favouring the other party. Hence a rift is created. If not resolved the rift grows into anger and then hate.

This is very very dumbed down version.

3 Likes