Why did the Germans stay in Norway until the end of the war?

When I look at the map of Europe in 1945, I see the regions held by the Germans getting smaller and smaller. But it strikes me, that the whole of Norway is still in Axis hands in April 1945. What is the reason (besides Hitlers “no retreat policy”) that they did not clear Norway, as it seems it is not even of use for the Kriegsmarine anymore. And how many German troops were still stationed in Norway?

2 Likes

By that stage of the war, Norway had no strategic value for either side. It became a sideshow and then just a quiet area from both Allied and German points of view. Aside from the plight of Norwegian civilians, there was no compelling case to invade and it would almost certainly have been a bloody and destructive fight for no real benefit to anyone. It played out about as well as anyone could have hoped, in that the German garrisons would have no hope of relief or evacuation and little desire for a fanatic’s death (probably with a few exceptions, as always).

3 Likes

Probably Norway was the best place to be and stay for a German Soldier in 1945. On a tour of the Netherlands I heard that the SAS was primed for an invasion of Norway as they Allies assumed the risks of those Germans fighting on in Norway. This may sound stupid in hindsight but after Market Garden and the Battle of the Bulge it was logical to assume the “crazed religious fanatics” would just go on fighting!

3 Likes